Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI please make clear the 3rd party app vs warranty
6423 34 2016-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

So i was really wanting to use the LITCHI app for the purpose of screen recording but after speaking to DJI, they told me it will VOID my warranty if i use it !
2016-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Who told you , that's Wrong , it will not void your warranty unless your aircraft crashes or fly away as a direct result of the app..

What your saying is misleading..
2016-11-14
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-15 02:24
Who told you , that's Wrong , it will not void your warranty unless your aircraft crashes or fly awa ...

How do you know this? You seem to be very certain of this, for someone who doesn't work for DJI.
2016-11-14
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

So after specifically asking DJI about the LITCHI APP, this is what they said

DJI SAYS VOID

DJI SAYS VOID
2016-11-14
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

Mavvy Posted at 2016-11-14 21:48
So after specifically asking DJI about the LITCHI APP, this is what they said

I'd say thats pretty clean cut and clear that it VOIDS your warranty
2016-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-11-15 03:41
How do you know this? You seem to be very certain of this, for someone who doesn't work for DJI.

Because there is a thread somewhere on here where I asked same question to dji Ken and I received the Same answer I gave you.
I will also ask you the same question.

This also has been a point of discussion on P4 forum many times, I use litchi a lot and if I thought that my aircraft was not covered by warranty or dji care for malfunction of aircraft, I certainly would not use it.

2016-11-14
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

well the chat picture i shared with you sums it for me, IT VOIDS your warranty !
2016-11-14
Use props
sanuk
lvl.4
Australia

DJI seems to be saying: if the app causes a problem, they won't be able to extend their warranty protection to cover whatever problems it may cause for the Mavic. If Litchi bricks your Mavic, DJI won't fix it under warranty.

(I expect the same applies to any of the many 3rd party apps developed for the Inspire, Phantom & now the Mavic built using the DJI SDK).

It's just like Apple, Dell or Lenovo won't offer warranty support for their hardware if, for example, you run a 3rd party disk utility that corrupts your BIOS and bricks your PC.

2016-11-14
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

I don't know what to think other than the fact they told me it will void my warranty if anything happen to my drone, now whether it's a fly away a hardware issue ect.. some people may read it differently but i read like it WILL VOID warranty if i use it at all ?

Maybe they should make this a bit more clear to consumers
2016-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Mavvy Posted at 2016-11-15 04:20
I don't know what to think other than the fact they told me it will void my warranty if anything hap ...

Try rereading the answer you received, then reread my answer.

I will try make this as simple as I can.

When using litchi or any third party app, if your aircraft crashes or has a fly away, as a direct result caused by the app, then your warranty is void.
If your aircraft crashes because of malfunction while using litchi or any third party app, but not as a direct result of the app , then your aircraft is covered by warranty.

So what I'm saying is your header is misleading..
2016-11-14
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-14 22:21

I will try make this as simple as I ...

Are you employed by DJI by chance ? if so, and what your saying is the fact, i will buy and use LITCHI and just remove the post completely
2016-11-14
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

Or can you point me to the fine print on DJI page that supports your beliefs ?
2016-11-14
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just don't use Litchi for yourself, everyone else is fine.
2016-11-14
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Well can't be certain until it's officially stated in the warranty by DJI... so DJI will need to update their warranty and specifically outline that point regarding third party apps.

So what happens when someone calls you on skype while you are flying, skype kicks in (3rd party app) and you loose control... what happens then, you've void the warranty?
2016-11-14
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you fly your quad into a wall it is not covered by warranty.     If you fly so far away that you can't make it back and then can't find it, it is not covered by warranty.    If you fly it into a tree or any one of a thousand or so stupid things you can do it is not covered by warranty.   If you are flying and have a warranty related mechanical problem it is covered, does not matter if you are using DJI Go or Litchi or one of several other apps.

Just upload the flight data from the quad to DJI and they will handle it from there.

2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-15 11:21

This is correct, your warranty may very well be covered when using Litchi.
Where it will not be covered is if something happens and the aircraft is lost.
For lost aircraft, DJI relies on the GO app for flight data analysis and if you are using Litchi, DJI will not look at HealthyDrones or any other 3rd party site as the data is not correct.
So if there was a malfunction of the aircraft and it is lost and you are using Litchi then there is no warranty as DJI cannot perform a flight analysis. or if your aircraft crashed from 1,000ft and was totally destroyed then they cannot analyze the flight data recorder so if you used a 3rd party app for that flight then there is no warranty.
If there was a malfunction while using Litchi and the aircraft was intact and sent in and the flight analysis team verified a malfunction and had nothing to do with using a 3rd party appi then it would be covered under warranty.
It would be determined by case by case scenario. But I suggest using the GO app just to be safe.
2016-11-14
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-15 13:35
Where it will not be co ...

Thanks Ken for clarifying, really appreciate it.

PS: you should be getting "Best Employee of the Year" awards, handing all us cry babies. :-)
2016-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

Mavvy Posted at 2016-11-15 04:30
Are you employed by DJI by chance ? if so, and what your saying is the fact, i will buy and use LIT ...

I'm not to sure why your being so tetchy, I don't work for dji, but rather come to the forum to learn or help if I can, I just pointed out that your heading was misleading, you don't need to remove it as the discussion is a valid one.
2016-11-15
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe Ken can communicate this with DJI support employees who seem to be of a different opinion.
2016-11-15
Use props
fans30254479
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-14 21:21

I'm on your side. Personally, the "answer" from DJI reads much like a Google translation from Chinese to English.

Regardless of the true answer/position of DJI, it seems perfectly logical that if *any* 3rd party attachment (or software) causes problems they're going to drop you like a hot potato!

Many years ago a friend of mine opened up a mail-order company. He sold plans for people to build their own satellite dish - this was back in the mid- to late-80s. He told me one day he received a letter telling him he lied, they wanted their money back, etc. It turns out the user made a dish out of some kind of metal mesh (okay so far), but then he ran a 300-ohm flat-wire from his TV to the dish, crimped/twisted the two pieces of wire on the flat-wire onto the mesh and - he didn't get any signal - LOL.

I teased my friend by telling him he obviously overlooked a checkbox asking for refunds due to incredible stupidity!

Personally, once I get my Mavic, I'm going to eventually use Litchi also! You can't expect a drone to last forever anyway!

Art - N4PJ
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

cluc Posted at 2016-11-15 14:48
Thanks Ken for clarifying, really appreciate it.

PS: you should be getting "Best Employee of the  ...

No problem at all, just doing my job
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-11-15 22:15
Maybe Ken can communicate this with DJI support employees who seem to be of a different opinion.

I've notified management.
2016-11-15
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-15 15:02
I've notified management.

That is funny! "Management" sounds like the unseen, sinister controlling power from some sci-fi movie... then again...
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mavvy Posted at 2016-11-15 10:56
well the chat picture i shared with you sums it for me, IT VOIDS your warranty !

It does not void the warranty (case by case basis), and your tone on chat didn't look so friendly.
2016-11-15
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

Sounds like if using Litchi and they cant get the data off of the aircraft to find the root cause, then no warranty. If they can get data off of the aircraft and it doesn't point to a user issue or a Litchi issue, then you may be covered. Sounds like a roll of the dice if you choose to use Litchi.

I also assume if you use Litchi, those Litchi flights would never sync with your DJI account? So DJI would not have flight history of any Litchi flights other than what is stored on the aircraft itself if you sent it in or pulled the logs off and sent them to DJI?

Completely unrelated, but while thinking about it. Is there an option to reset the aircraft to remove prior flight logs? i.e. You sell the aircraft and don't want the buyer to have your logs?

2016-11-15
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I know that at the end of the day, it's DJI's warranty, not Litchi's, but here's a response to the same question raised awhile ago on Litchi's Facebook page (flylitchi).  See https://www.facebook.com/flylitchi/posts/1194823423864856.
2016-11-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Can we get the thread title edited to be more accurate?
2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

JFXMedia Posted at 2016-11-15 16:15
Warranty my ass, what warranty. They wouldn't stand behind their product if you paid them. Literally ...

I have to say dealing with dji repair service in my experience is an exceptional service, right from the get go to receiving your aircraft back, is handled with extreme professionalism and with the utmost fairness , and if you are having any difficulties the moderators here on this forum will make that whole package seamless.

2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

fans30254479 Posted at 2016-11-15 15:35
I'm on your side. Personally, the "answer" from DJI reads much like a Google translation from Chin ...

You will enjoy it, also dronepan is another app, they have an excellent forum on facebook, they guys who run it are great and extremely helpful, I know they are working on getting it up to scratch for Mavic.
It's all so Free App..
2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

trance728 Posted at 2016-11-16 00:20
Can we get the thread title edited to be more accurate?

I edited the title.
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I am late to this party but, if the only thing you are wanting to achieve is screen recording.?! Then why don't you install Shou screen recorder and use the DJI Go App.  

Here is a link to the Shou screen recorder discussion thread

http://forum.dji.com/thread-9257-3-1.html

Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Ken, fixing the titles really helps for people who don't want to read the whole thread.
2016-11-15
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-15 12:13
So I am late to this party but, if the only thing you are wanting to achieve is screen recording.?!  ...

Because it is no longer available .
2016-11-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavvy Posted at 2016-11-15 13:51
Because it is no longer available .

I am still using Shou and you can follow the link that was provided in the end of the thread. Still works for me.

Let me know if I am wrong.
Rich
2016-11-15
Use props
fans5c47db93
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1685413 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-14 21:35
Where it will not be covered is if something happens and the aircraft is lost.
For lost aircraft, DJI relies on the GO app for flight data analysis and if you are using Litchi, DJI will not look at HealthyDrones or any other 3rd party site as the data is not correct.

Hi Ken,

ok..I know this is an old post but I would like some clarification before flying my Mavic with Litchi. You have said that using Litchi(DJI Sdk) itself does not void DJI's warranty. If the warranted product "the drone" malfunctions while using Litchi, it's covered by DJI. If the app crashes and or causes the bird to shoot up into the sky and come straight back into the ground, it's not covered. Correct?  I understand that covers the "warranty"..

Now, by using the same train of thought, we now know Litchi itself does not invalidate the warranty, so what about DJI Refresh? DJI refresh is a product that cost us extra and also covers pure accidents CAUSED by the operator. So now that we know using Litchi is ok, what if you just have a plain old operator error accident while using Litchi? Since the DJI refresh program is a program designed for accidents(not warranty issues)  it stands to say that an accident by the operator while using Litchi would be covered under DJI refresh. Right? Not an accident caused by the app but by the person flying the drone. Litchi is ok to use and Refresh covers accidents by the operator. I think DJI would have a very hard argument saying yes, Litchi is ok to use but since you crashed while using it, we don't cover that. Remember, As was the case with the warranty issues in this thread, the app didn't cause it and since this is what the refresh program covers it should be ok. Make Sense?
2017-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules