12Next >
4727 42 2016-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56604 ft
Canada

Hey, I know a few people have had camera issues where it's been soft on one side or the other... What's the prognosis? Does it have to go back?  

I was one of the fortunate ones to snag a Mavic from the Apple Store the other day and the camera is clearly soft on the right side for stills only.  It seems sharp for video.

Here's a comparison at 100% of the still (top) and video frame (bottom).  Note how the blue "Mountain Hwy" street sign on the left (which was mid-frame of the image) is sharp while the right side turns to mush on the still photo (top) while the video frame is still sharp on the right side.  Strange!

Anyone else witness this?  Any ideas?

Comparison of Still and Video Frame

Comparison of Still and Video Frame
2016-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It happens to all pictures you have taken, right?
Would you please upload several original pictures and videos unedited to dropbox and provide us the link? thanks.
2016-11-19
Use props
Somican
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485997 ft
Germany

hi,

maybe try this -->

let us know if it helped
2016-11-19
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-19 17:36
It happens to all pictures you have taken, right?
Would you please upload several original pictures  ...

Hi, I've done more testing this weekend and after resetting the camera, and doing a gimble calibration, I recorded this video doing tap to focus at various points in the video.  It's clear that there is something out of alignment or wrong with my AF mechanism.  Here's what I observed from the video... (best viewed in 4K if possible - I've also included a dropbox link to a shorter cut below).

0:00 Sharp across the frame
0:40 tap to focus - Most of the frame is bokeh blurry except for Right Edge
2:15 Tap to focus - Most of frame is blurry except for Right Edge and Lower Right Corner
2:37 Tap to focus - Right Edge is blurry
3:58 Tap to focus - Sharp across the frame
4:15 Tap to focus - Right 1/3 is blurry
5:40 Tap to focus - Sharp across the frame
8:05 Tap to focus - Left 2/3rd is blurry
9:10 Tap to focus - Left Edge is blurry

It's maddening!!!

I've uploaded a shorter cut of the video to Dropbox if you want to see the original MOV file.

I've also uploaded a couple of RAW images showing the issue with focusing on the right vs center and how it makes that area in focus while the other part is blurry. Something definitely seems out of alignment.

Dropbox files:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezk76 ... 9iORlmP_YV6aPa?dl=0

2016-11-20
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

Should I contact support and get this repaired/replaced?
2016-11-20
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

VirtualRain Posted at 2016-11-21 06:00

I am experiencing similar problem but not as bad as yours. Do send DJI support an email but don't expect a quick reply. I am still waiting to hear from them.
2016-11-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

VirtualRain Posted at 2016-11-21 14:00

Please send an e-mail with the subject "Forum Support" to support@dji.com and include the following information, we'll help you create a case:
SN number of aircraft:
Brief Description of your Issue:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Link to your case on Forum:
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-21 16:04
Please send an e-mail with the subject "Forum/FB/Twitter Support" to support@dji.com and include th ...

Thank you Natalia... I have sent an email as you suggested.
2016-11-21
Use props
Somican
lvl.3
Flight distance : 485997 ft
Germany

VirtualRain Posted at 2016-11-21 04:22
Hi, I've done more testing this weekend and after resetting the camera, and doing a gimble calibra ...

hi,

have u tried this in post #3?

the guy had the same problem and fixed it with calibrating the IMU etc.

for me it helped also, out of the box i had blurry image at left lower corner.
after i follow the steps on the video its gone. my picture is all sharp now. and focus works far better.

2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

Somican Posted at 2016-11-22 01:15
hi,

have u tried this in post #3?

It makes absolutely no sense that the IMU would affect camera focus or lens alignment, but I suppose it can't hurt if done properly  I'll see what support has to say.
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-21 16:04
Please send an e-mail with the subject "Forum/FB/Twitter Support" to support@dji.com and include th ...

Hi, I've done a IMU calibration this morning as these guys above suggested and went for a test flight at lunch.  My first impression is that this is a big improvement, but I need to do some more testing.

Can you or someone else possibly explain how an IMU calibration can improve camera/AF performance?
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

VirtualRain Posted at 2016-11-22 05:41
Hi, I've done a IMU calibration this morning as these guys above suggested and went for a test flig ...

Never-mind... It seems I'm still soft on the right side after some proper testing.  No change.
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

Here's a test shot  with the Mavic hovering in front of my garage... (JPEG out of camera at 100%)

Top image I focused on the left side (note how right side is terribly out of focus)
Middle image I focused in the middle (note how left and middle are both well focused but right is still blurry)
Bottom image I focused on the right side (note how it's now sharp but the left is out of focus)

Focus comparison (Left, Center, Right) by VirtualRain (Junk Photos), on Flickr

Download the full size image here:  https://flic.kr/p/PiTwuD
Out of Camera JPEGs for each shot...
https://flic.kr/p/NfCULR
https://flic.kr/p/NfCUzt
https://flic.kr/p/NfCV1D

2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

Here's another comparison... this time, I tapped to focus just once on the center where the high rise building is.  Then I panned the craft to the left to the building was on the right side of the frame (without adjusting focus) and it's clearly less sharp.

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 3.54.05 PM by VirtualRain (Junk Photos), on Flickr

Original JPEGs here:
https://flic.kr/p/PqNagE
https://flic.kr/p/PqNa1u
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

Here's a video showing how the right gets way soft when focusing on the center or left, and then if you focus on the right, how the left and center get blurry...

2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

I have submitted a support ticket to support@dji.com, but still haven't heard from DJI... how long does it usually take?
2016-11-21
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

I have the soft corner as well. Making everything look tilt shift. That would kind of be cool... if it were an OPTION.
2016-11-21
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

You can clearly see the lower right corner and slightly in the upper left for me... Edit: this is a screen grab of 4k footage

2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-11-22 08:50
You can clearly see the lower right corner and slightly in the upper left for me...

Indeed.  I don't expect the lens to be flawless across the frame, as few optics are that good, but it needs not to be blatantly blurry in spots even at web resolutions as we've both demonstrated.
2016-11-21
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

VirtualRain Posted at 2016-11-22 09:13
Indeed.  I don't expect the lens to be flawless across the frame, as few optics are that good, but ...

The blur isn't in the same place in all of my shots either. Here you can see it gradually get worse from the center out to the upper left corner.
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-11-22 11:26
The blur isn't in the same place in all of my shots either. Here you can see it gradually get wors ...

That happens on mine and it's because you likely focused on the right side somewhere.  When the optics/sensor are out of alignment with a contrast detect AF systems such as the Mavic uses, focusing on one side will get that in focus at the expense of the other, and vice-versa.  The mis-alignment can be top to bottom, side-to-side, or somewhere in-between (which appears to be the case in your situation).
2016-11-21
Use props
VirtualRain
lvl.1
Canada

BTW, I've got a reply from DJI Support indicating they will be sending me a shipping label soon.  I have care refresh which should hopefully expedite this process. (fingers crossed)
2016-11-21
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

VirtualRain Posted at 2016-11-22 12:13
That happens on mine and it's because you likely focused on the right side somewhere.  When the op ...

That would make sense if the objects on the right side were much closer to the camera like when theres Depth of field. Everything in frame is relatively at the same distance from the sensor.
2016-11-22
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

Heres what my camera looks like after performing imu, resetting gimbal and formatting memory card.
Problem persists.

2016-11-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-11-24 04:33
Heres what my camera looks like after performing imu, resetting gimbal and formatting memory card.
P ...

May I know have you contacted our tech support to send it in for evaluation?
2016-11-23
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-24 11:13
May I know have you contacted our tech support to send it in for evaluation?

Yes, and its being RMA'd. Really disappointed. I had to send my inspire pro back for a camera issue when it was brand new and now this also?!

I was told to call to see about some type of compensation and I was hung up on by the staff. I'm not too proud to be a customer at this time.

It flies great, and for the most part the products are reliable, until they're not. The customer service of DJI needs the same innovation as it applies to everything else.
2016-11-23
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-11-24 04:36
Yes, and its being RMA'd. Really disappointed. I had to send my inspire pro back for a camera issu ...

My case was treated as DOA and offered a new exchange. Maybe it is because I reported the problem on day one?
The strange thing is the left side blurry only occurred when the craft is flying 40M high and above. I studied all the footages and photos and everything under 40M looks sharp cross frame.

I think DJI is not very good at quality control, as I bought a OSMO + yesterday and have issues with both lens and gimbal.  May send it back for a refund rather than exchange this time.
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

GuyNamedLindsey Posted at 2016-11-24 12:36
Yes, and its being RMA'd. Really disappointed. I had to send my inspire pro back for a camera issu ...

We really understand how frustrated it must be.
May I have your case number, please?
2016-11-23
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-24 14:55
We really understand how frustrated it must be.
May I have your case number, please?

CAS-334582-V7Y2Y7
2016-11-24
Use props
fansd1794bdf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223921 ft
Ireland

I have similar issue with my Mavic, blurry in left side from middle to the top, not much but noticeable. Always using custom button to focus in center. Looks like its appears always when its focus on infinity... I am amature drone pilot, have it for 3 weeks, and this is my first drone, ive didnt noticed until couple of days ago. Did few tests and calibrations, still appears...  Do u know if its covered by warranty as I have no dji care...?
2016-11-25
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Still waiting for my order, this seems like a pretty worryingly widespread problem and no doubt a good deal more widespread than we'd think as there'll be a lot of people who either don't think it's too bad or can't face sending their Mavic back after waiting a month for it to be delivered in the first place.

The fact that DJI are recommending sending the units back suggests this isn't something which firmware updates are going to fix.

I think we're seeing way more than average with this same blur problem.
2016-11-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansd1794bdf Posted at 2016-11-25 22:39
I have similar issue with my Mavic, blurry in left side from middle to the top, not much but noticea ...

May I know have you contacted our tech support to help you create a case and send it in for evaluation or not?
Generally speaking, if it's caused by product faulty, it will be covered by the warranty since it's under warranty period.
While it needs to be evaluated by our engineers firstly to find out the reason why it does not function well, then you will get an e-mail with the detail whether it's covered by warranty or not.
2016-11-26
Use props
fansd1794bdf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223921 ft
Ireland

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-27 03:39
May I know have you contacted our tech support to help you create a case and send it in for evalua ...

Ive send "forum support" email to support with all the information, like name, s/n, etc. And few links with video examples. Waiting for a respond now.
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansd1794bdf Posted at 2016-11-29 18:12
Ive send "forum support" email to support with all the information, like name, s/n, etc. And few l ...

That's ok, we'll help you create a case and reply you an e-mail later.
Thank you for your supporting!
2016-11-29
Use props
zach.
New

United States

Hey all,

So in short, I’ve got the same focus problem as a lot of you.

I received my Mavic 2 days ago after a much anticipated and prolonged wait as I’m sure most of you experienced. So when it finally arrived you can only imagine how excited I was to get this thing up in the air. So beginning yesterday morning, I took the Mavic on numerous flights to get a good feel for it. My first impressions of the drone could not have been better. The drone flys like a dream. However, when reviewing footage and images taken on the drone I noticed the left hand side of the frame in all my photos and videos were soft. My first thoughts were maybe I wasn’t using the tap to focus correctly. So I tried again. Still no luck. Then I looked online and read through the multitude of forums and videos just to realize that I must have received a Mavic from a bad batch. I have tried all possible updates, IMU and Gimbal Recalibrations and Camera resets that have been suggested online with no luck. I sent a support email to DJI yesterday and will wait for a response. I am hesitant to send the Mavic just because who knows when I will get the drone back and whether or not I will receive my same drone (which flies perfectly) with the current issue fixed, or just get another stock Mavic with potentially the same or other problems. Has anybody had any luck either finding a way to fix the issue without sending it in or anybody that has sent their Mavic in and gotten a properly functioning Mavic in return?

Sorry, that turned into a much longer post than intended.

Here’s a link to a dropbox folder with an unedited clip and image taken yesterday. Notice the soft focus on the left hand side of the frame.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9o5rclysrzux6sm/AADXXsAmACXyz4jYg5RXSD-0a

2016-12-1
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668015 ft
United States

Hey guys,

I found the same issue on my Mavic Pro -- I was able to focus manually on part of the image but got a blurry edge in most video.
People suggested "This type of issue can occur if the camera module has been improperly assembled. Likely the sensor and lens focal plane are not coplanar."
How is it goes? Do you find the same issue on the replaced Mavic? I saw another pilot got a replacement but still have the same problem.
I am wondering whether I should live with it or not. If this is an assembling issue and not been corrected, I'd like to live with my drone until they fix it.

Thanks,
int0x80
2016-12-9
Use props
mrclfr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282014 ft
Switzerland

have the same problems too: right corner is blurry...
right corner blurry

right corner blurry

if I focus on the right corner, the rest of the picture will be blurry:
focus on right corner, rest of image is blurry
2016-12-12
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

If it's helps any, I sent mine for RMA and I've been super surprised with the turn around time.
I sent it last week from Canada and It'll be here this week. Hang in there guys.
2016-12-12
Use props
sbb
lvl.2
United States

CanadianAirBorn - is your focus issue resolved?
2016-12-19
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-12-12 22:35
If it's helps any, I sent mine for RMA and I've been super surprised with the turn around time.
I sent it last week from Canada and It'll be here this week. Hang in there guys.

Has your issue been resolved? Mine has the same blurry right side problem and I'm debating whether or not to send it in.
2016-12-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules