5425 10 2015-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

Hi.
This is my first message here, and I think I should participate, because I've just ordered a
DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ ("Upgraded")

Before, I've searched and compared this copter with the Parrot Bebop.
I've watched all videos following links from the DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide pdf file, as well as other videos.
I've had a look to many posts here (as suggested by some of you), and red manuals too.
I downloaded and installed Windows tools (cannot install drivers right now because I must connect the copter.)

Wintertime in north east of France : plenty of time to check as many things as possible before receiving my order, before my first fly !

I could not find answers to some questions :
- Is a galaxy S2 mobile powerful enough to drive the camera ?
Using an Android 7" pad ( 4 core ) could be another way, I've seen some pictures, but I'm not sure the clamp provided with the controler is wide enough !

- some of you calibrate the compass by rotating the copter, some other rotate their whole body. Does it matter ?

- do we have access to the embedded Linux filesystem, (telnet or whatever - search function does not give any result )

- Can I start all motors without propellers, without damaging motors ( just to check everything is ok)

- I suppose I should calibrate the Rc BEFORE the copter with windows software.
is using an Osx apple product better or not compared to the windows versions ?
I've not seen any linux versions - strange - maybe because most people do not use linux !

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2015-2-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Welcome.

Someone else may help with the Phone, I use a Motorola.

Calibrate the compass either way, it's easier for me to spin my body than fumble around spinning my phantom.

You can start and run the motors without the props.  But keep an eye on the gimbal and camera, they get hot with no airflow.

Calibrate the transmitter first.  I use Windows.
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

As Jamie said you can calibrate the compass either way. The manual shows rotating the entire body doing what is called "The Dance"

The DJI service rep told it does not hurt to briefly run the motors at low speed without props, though I would not do it for prolonged periods. He also said you can rev up the motors to full speed but do not do that for longer than 15 seconds.
2015-2-10
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Welcome RDSB to the very clever machine and this forum.  I will leave the answers to others who know your choice of viewing platform but I would just say that it is so refreshing that you are taking all of the right steps to ensure you understand the phantom, well done!

Do join in here with questions, comments and experiences too.  Forums are dependent on people.  Happy flying!

Cheers!
Rod   
2015-2-10
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Actually the manual shows just rotating the Phantom in place, not by holding it at arms length and rotating your whole body.
I did it once when new out of the box as per the manual, and not needed to do it again in over 6 months of flying.
2015-2-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

johnwarr.live Posted at 2015-2-11 04:59
Actually the manual shows just rotating the Phantom in place, not by holding it at arms length and r ...

If you hold it straight up over head... same thing.
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

johnwarr.live Posted at 2015-2-11 04:59
Actually the manual shows just rotating the Phantom in place, not by holding it at arms length and r ...

The NAZA-M manual picture is a little ambiguous but it appears to show rotating the entire body. I would think you would want it close to your body but the videos I have seen they hold it at arms length and rotated their body.
2015-2-10
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

It's great to be cautious!  Don't forget to have fun!

The S2 should be fine.  But, as I recall, it shipped with 2.3.x (GB).  I believe you need to have at least 4.0 (ICS) installed.  So as long as you've been updating the OS you should be fine.  Just check and, if not, just upgrade.

I've calibrated both ways, myself.  I find it easier to rotate my whole body.  I fear that flipping the Phantom around will result in dropping it one day.  (I mean, it's just statistically more likely to happen the more it gets flown!)

I don't know why you'd want to access the Phantom's filesystem.  But have fun trying!

You CAN start the motors without the props.  I'm a Network Engineer.  However, my brother is an electromechanical engineer, so I asked him.  He suggests that DC motors should NOT be run unloaded.  He's the one with the degree so I'll go ahead take his word for it.

It won't matter if you calibrate the controller before or after the copter.  Windows or OSX will be able to run DJI's software.
2015-2-10
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe I should have said I use the Phantom manual
The Naza-M manual is ok but not specific to the Phantom range and it does say rotate through the gravitational line of the quad, which is normally drawn straight down through the middle....
But either way seems to work, so its all good...
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

The most important thing about compass calibration is to do it away from metal. Don't do it in the middle of a concrete parking lot or sidewalk since the concrete is reinforced with iron rebar or wire.
2015-2-10
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

Thank you for your answers.
I received my drone and can now answer some more questions :

There is NO difference between the Windows and the Osx apps. THe only difference is : Osx does not need driver installation, it connects automatically.
Linux + wine : it does not work !

Galaxy S2 is powerful enough (I upgraded it to jelly bean)
No problem too with a Lg G3 : clamp is wide enough.
But the clamp is not wide enough for my 7" Asus tab (a large screen is really nice !

The drone was up to date : all firmwares were OK.

One good surprise : all manuals were available in french !
Another one : quality of still pictures (locked to Iso 100) I'll test all options soon, and post results on another topic.
2015-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules