P4 Pro Fan Broken? *Audio* NOT supposed to sound like this + FIX
10069 38 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Can someone post a video capturing the sound of your P4 Pro's cooling fan running?  I think mine is broken but want to hear what others sound like before going through the process of returning.
Is it supposed to sound like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eg5d1dfywm6edf/New%20Recording%202.m4a?dl=0

**Update**Actually, no it should not be making this sound BUT if it does it's not broken..just annoying.  If your cooling fan seems to change sounds when you press on the case around the cooling ports/fan (Underneath..the gray plastic part near the microSD card) than your fan is vibrating unnecessarily against the case causing a loud high pitched vibration annoyance.  Seems a friend of mine has discovered the route to the loud fan noise. See here for photos of fix
2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Mine is loud and quite high pitched on my P4P, does the sound alter if you put your hand on the top of the drone and give it a squeeze ? I have done a sound recording of it but unsure the best way to get it on here?
2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eg5d1 ... ording%202.m4a?dl=0
When you can hear the saound altering, that is because I am giving the drone a bit of a sqeeze on the top with my hand
2016-12-3
Use props
chocoski
lvl.1

Poland

I can confirm that it is very loud.
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-12-3 10:12
Mine is loud and quite high pitched on my P4P, does the sound alter if you put your hand on the top  ...

YES! The sound changes when I squeeze the casing around the fan which I thought means the fan is loose or vibrating against the case
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

chocoski Posted at 2016-12-3 10:39
I can confirm that it is very loud.

Yes this is exactly what mine sounds like.  Is this a malfunction/issue in production?  Sounds like a bad fan, no?  I literally have mine in a box waiting to go back to DJI because Im thinking this isnt right (Especially comparing to my P4 - my P4 does not have that high pitched element to the fan sound).  

Can someone confirm that the following is or is not the sound the cooling fan should be making?

2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Natemare13 Posted at 2016-12-3 16:21
Yes this is exactly what mine sounds like.  Is this a malfunction/issue in production?  Sounds like ...

As soon as I ran my P4P up I knew it was making them wrong sound, I think the fan is touching something very slightly, trouble is, if I send it back I doubt I will see back or replaced for months
2016-12-3
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Having had 3 of the P4 models, the last one (Currently owned.) has a much louder fan.  First two I didn't even notice it while playing with the simulator, but the third is noticeable and likely is within their specs (or whatever).

What I do know is these things have very different personalities, even in flight and camera output.

As to the P4P, if you can stand it then maybe live with it.  I'd worry more about getting a flaky IMU that refuses to calibrate on a replacement or refurb'ed drone over a loud fan.
2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm not that worried about the fan noise, it may quieten down with use, at the moment I dont think it is even worth sending back with the IMU problem, too many are effected to be a hardware problem, I think DJI know about this problem and they also know it is the firmware that is causing it, thats why I doubt I will fly mine until they bring out an update
2016-12-3
Use props
DirtPiler
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here!

2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

So far four people have confirmed that this is the same sound their fan is making. I have to assume either a mass production issue or it was designed this way (which still would still suck and to me give a mark against DJI's production quality)
2016-12-3
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Mine sounds like this, too.  But it seriously sounds normal given the amount of cooling it has to do.  The P4P fan is moving more CFM, but still thru the same slots (basically) as P4.

The fan in the R/C is sorta loud too on the P4P+, but again, it's moving some CFM so it's normal.  There's a series of vents on the HDMI module on the P4P+.

*I listened to all of your sound clips with audiophile headphones to get an accurate assessment
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-4 03:45
Mine sounds like this, too.  But it seriously sounds normal given the amount of cooling it has to do ...

5 people not confirm this is what theirs sounds like. I guess I have to give into the fact that this sound is as designed.

Also, I didn't even know there was a fan in the remote haven't heard it!

Thanks guys. Please do reply if you have a P4 pro and your fan is any different sounding than the clips here.
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

5 people now confirm the sound seems normal *
2016-12-3
Use props
Paranoid Jack
lvl.1

United States

Mine arrived yesterday and I too was afraid the loud fan was an issue. It seems to be normal though since I have flown mine inside and outside for more than an hour and it seems fine other than a gimbal error on start up which I have cleared two times now with a powering down of the drone and then a fresh boot up.
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

More people are telling me their fans also sound like they are grinding. Again, could be a higher fan speed contributing to the excessive noise but that doesn't excuse DJI from ensuring it didn't vibrate or make contact with the case.
2016-12-3
Use props
Paranoid Jack
lvl.1

United States

I just flew mine for the fourth time today. After finishing at dusk I figured I would try to offload the video from the micro sd card. With the drone sitting on the floor and plugged into my PC I powered it up half expecting another Gimbal Roll Error but instead got a loud clattering noise almost like a fan blade hitting something. I now have to wonder if the loud noises we are occasionally hearing is actually the gimbal not the fan. I will power mine off then on several times after offloading the files in an attempt to duplicate the loud clattering. I suspect it is the gimbal motor stuck on. The reason I know it was the gimbal is because once I powered up the control and moved the gimbal wheel the noise ceased immediately. I  also get a gimbal roll error maybe thirty or forty percent of the time during drone power ups. I just power the drone off then back on and it clears but the DJI Go 4 app tells me to return it for repairs. I may have to but I hope it is just a software bug. One last thing. I also get a firmware warning on occasion after powering up the drone even though I have updated it via the DJI Assistant 2. Sounds like a lot of complaints but it is not. I love this thing already.
2016-12-3
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Update.  A friend of mine who also has a P4 PRO was brave enough to take it apart.  Our suspicion about the cooling fan noise was correct.  It is vibrating against the inside of the case causing a high pitched "grinding" sound that the P4 just did not have. The fan is held down by two screws in two corners only.  The two corners that do not have screws are left to vibrate at a very high frequency against the plastic case causing the undesirable sound.  He solved it by adding a very small and very thin piece of (gray) foam between the fan case and the plastic drone housing.  You can see it wedged in there in the below photos.
After he did this I can confirm it sounds just like a P4 (no rattling or high pitched fan vibration noise).

I cannot yet comment on the Gimbal noise folks are starting to talk about though.  The fan fix is simple but you have to be ready to open it up.  I for one am not - I'm just glad to know it's more a "cosmetic" issue and not a real problem.  if you cant stand the loud fan you may want to try this fix.  

. unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg

2016-12-3
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I thought it would be something simple like that, that's why I was not to bothered about it, I will just was till it wears down and gets quiet :-)
2016-12-4
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

DJI should make a running production change.
2016-12-4
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-12-4 10:37
DJI should make a running production change.

Yep, seems easy enough to add a piece of foam tape to those arms in a production run.

Now that we know about where the loose arm is, wonder if one can poke a bit of foam, dum--dum tape, etc. through the right hole and wedge it into silence?
2016-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-5 05:58
Yep, seems easy enough to add a piece of foam tape to those arms in a production run.

Now that we ...

I like your thinking for a non-invasive way to fix this, and kudos to the person brave enough to risk warranty by opening the P4P up so we could see. But how about just pushing a silicon/plastic spacer plug (like in the picture) through the right hole to push the fan away from the shell on the inside?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126306016/250-earring-backs-clear-plastic-earring

And I tried to avoid the free advertising for Etsy (but hey, if you want a jewelery gift for your significant other, try Pompeii3... ), but I couldn't upload the image directly.
2016-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-5 05:58

Now that we know about where the loose arm is, wonder if one can poke a bit of foam, dum--dum tape, etc. through the right hole and wedge it into silence?

And I'm wondering if this vibration is what is causing the IMU calibration issues? It'd be like trying to get a bubble level accurate on a train...
2016-12-5
Use props
henryk86
lvl.2

Germany

this is definitely a design error. this vibration is not good for all the electronic inside the p4pro.
2016-12-6
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

henryk86 Posted at 2016-12-6 19:19
this is definitely a design error. this vibration is not good for all the electronic inside the p4pro.

It won't cause any damage, if this Vibration your saying is bad for Electronic, then these Electronics would've died like after your 3rd flight, because flying causes 100 times more vibration than just a fan that is bearly touching your case.
2016-12-6
Use props
kevinusma
lvl.1

United States

Just fired up the P4P and yes, it's noisy as hell. Instantly regretted my purchase.
2016-12-8
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

kevinusma Posted at 2016-12-9 02:50
Just fired up the P4P and yes, it's noisy as hell. Instantly regretted my purchase.

Yeah same, i bought my P4P just to sit on my desk all day and with a loud fan thats not good.

I realizd later that it actually can fly and i dont need to listen to the fan wohoo!

But screw it, i dont wanna fly i just want to have it running on my desk, im waiting for the P8Pro to come out in 2025.

Oh sarcasm OFF btw from now on
2016-12-8
Use props
N5Lc2rXCOoCR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It might sounds quite loud, but no significant vibration to the craft,when I touch it and also if You place your finger underneath the shark vent hole you can feel the wind blowing out. Giving the fan is so tiny, it is quite efficient.,
By the way is it only me notice the noise during flight is like at least 20% quieter, I think it Is due to the new prop mount design,make the prop so much more secure then the p4. Just my opinion.
2016-12-9
Use props
N5Lc2rXCOoCR
lvl.2

United Kingdom

On both the p4 and p4p I can do heard any gimbal noise but the ultrasound sensors clicking.?
2016-12-9
Use props
orlandotommy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 638212 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine sounds horrible, doesnt sound like it "should" sound like that...
2016-12-10
Use props
fans79dffc1f
lvl.4
Thailand

My strange sound comes and goes
2016-12-10
Use props
Natemare13
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

orlandotommy Posted at 2016-12-10 15:05
Mine sounds horrible, doesnt sound like it "should" sound like that...

it shouldnt sound like that.  Its not an issue but an annoyance.  DJI really should have been more careful to insulate that annoying vibration the new fan and fan housing make.
2016-12-11
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Natemare13 Posted at 2016-12-4 11:43
Update.  A friend of mine who also has a P4 PRO was brave enough to take it apart.  Our suspicion about the cooling fan noise was correct.  It is vibrating against the inside of the case causing a high pitched "grinding" sound that the P4 just did not have. The fan is held down by two screws in two corners only.  The two corners that do not have screws are left to vibrate at a very high frequency against the plastic case causing the undesirable sound.  He solved it by adding a very small and very thin piece of (gray) foam between the fan case and the plastic drone housing.  You can see it wedged in there in the below photos.
After he did this I can confirm it sounds just like a P4 (no rattling or high pitched fan vibration noise).

Wow, thanks a lot for the photos and showing how he did it. I just applied the same fix and the noise is greatly reduced to what it should be. Previously, it was loud enough that people were coming over to ask if there was something wrong... This P4P has yet to fly.
2016-12-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-3 12:45
Mine sounds like this, too.  But it seriously sounds normal given the amount of cooling it has to do.  The P4P fan is moving more CFM, but still thru the same slots (basically) as P4.

The fan in the R/C is sorta loud too on the P4P+, but again, it's moving some CFM so it's normal.  There's a series of vents on the HDMI module on the P4P+.

The RC has an internal fan? ;-)
Where did you get that idea from? News to me... Haha
Somehow I doubted that. But if it does, it's gotta be very cool. Chuckles

I did a quick search and found this thread in the Mavic forum.http://forum.dji.com/thread-71729-1-1.html

I should have known that...

RedHotPoker

2016-12-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

henryk86 Posted at 2016-12-6 11:19

Hi Henry, see This: http://www.phantom4-guide.co.uk/faq/3d-noise-reduction-option-go/

Not sure that will alleviate the above concern, but it's a beginning to an end... Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-24
Use props
HellStream
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1370771 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Mine does the exact same thing. Very noisy.
2016-12-24
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-24 11:42
The RC has an internal fan? ;-)
Where did you get that idea from? News to me... Haha
Somehow I quite doubt that. But if it does, it's gotta be very cool. Chuckles

LOL yes the R/C has a fan, just like the Mavic's R/C has a fan.  
2016-12-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-24 14:30
LOL yes the R/C has a fan, just like the Mavic's R/C has a fan.

Learned something new today. Thanks. I never new a remote control would contain a cooling fan. Nice

On a hot day, Does it keep your hands cool too? ;-)

http://forum.dji.com/thread-71729-1-1.html

RedHotPoker

2016-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules