12Next >
3866 44 2016-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trekz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

I made a post about a possible vignette problem in my night shots, but another user said it wasn't a problem. I haven't taken the phantom out that much lately, so after checking out my shots from yesterday, I noticed that the photos had some vignetting going on. They were all shot in DNG and in 3:2. Can someone please verify this? Please also check out the video since that is a screen capture for perspective. It's only about a minute  and a half long.
Edit: New video

EDIT 12/20/16

Download

FILE 2
FILE 5
FILE 9

2016-12-18
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

I took it out today and shot at 3:2,16:9, and 4:3. Vignetting WAS apparent in all my 3:2 shots, but there was little to no vignette effect at all in the others. Is anyone else getting this, or is my phantom problematic?
2016-12-18
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Trekz Posted at 2016-12-18 23:26
I took it out today and shot at 3:2,16:9, and 4:3. Vignetting WAS apparent in all my 3:2 shots, but there was little to no vignette effect at all in the others. Is anyone else getting this, or is my phantom problematic?

Every lens, even the most expensive ones , have their faults, a result of decisions taken during the design about what is more important.
Vignetting is one of the often seen 'problems' with many lenses and will show up more at some settings than art other ones.
I use Adobe Lightroom which has a library of (almost) all the lenses in the world and corrects the known issues immediately and automatically (if instructed to do so) even while importing the pictures. Just make sure that your program knows the lens you're using and the corrections are applied. All the DJI-lenses are included in the Lightroom 5.x package, so I never see vignetting or other image distortions due to the compromises made in the design of the lens.
2016-12-18
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

PhanFran Posted at 2016-12-18 14:43
Every lens, even the most expensive ones , have their faults, a result of decisions taken during the design about what is more important.
Vignetting is one of the often seen 'problems' with many lenses and will show up more at some settings than art other ones.
I use Adobe Lightroom which has a library of (almost) all the lenses in the world and corrects the known issues immediately and automatically (if instructed to do so) even while importing the pictures. Just make sure that your program knows the lens you're using and the corrections are applied. All the DJI-lenses are included in the Lightroom 5.x package, so I never see vignetting or other image distortions due to the compromises made in the design of the lens.

I understand this might be a program problem, but that's how come I opened it in raw image viewer, and it was basically the same. I might have to check this file out on another computer that has lightroom/photoshop since cyberlink/photodirector/powerdirector doesn't have a lens profile for the p4p.
Can you, or anyone else, please download the file and please let me know if you get that same problem?
The links are provided on the first post: 2,5,9
2016-12-18
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

The first video has been added..It seems like lightroom doesn't process the full picture, whereas photodirector/raw image viewer will pull the full image. Please refer to the first video DJI
2016-12-18
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Does my phantom 4 pro have a manufacturer's mistake, or is this on every p4p? Can anyone else please post a dropbox 3:2 shot for me to check out?
2016-12-19
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Edit 12/20
The second video has been added from another person who checked it out an a different computer
2016-12-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Your photos look fine to me.
2016-12-20
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-12-20 02:32
Your photos look fine to me.

2016-12-20
Use props
webline
lvl.2
Flight distance : 402044 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I do see the same with my P4P - in Lightroom the vignetting is gone - the image size is not always the same too. Small differences in width and height.
I choose 3:2 and RAW because I wanted the max from the possible output - cropping and adjusting will be done later. So I don't have a problem with the P4P and the vignetting but with other programs who are not as smart as Lightroom is.
2016-12-20
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

webline Posted at 2016-12-20 04:51
I do see the same with my P4P - in Lightroom the vignetting is gone - the image size is not always the same too. Small differences in width and height.
I choose 3:2 and RAW because I wanted the max from the possible output - cropping and adjusting will be done later. So I don't have a problem with the P4P and the vignetting but with other programs who are not as smart as Lightroom is.

Thanks for checking it out, so is this some kind of widespread problem with the new lenses DJI?
2016-12-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Trekz Posted at 2016-12-21 12:59
Thanks for checking it out, so is this some kind of widespread problem with the new lenses DJI?

I was the one who conversed with you in your previous thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-76009-1-1.html

The thing that I noted then was that if I downloaded the original file, there was no sign of vignetting, and I also note that every example you have posted here shows the file inside an application. And those applications may have already loaded some default lens correction.

One thing though, do you use any form of filter on your camera?
2016-12-20
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-20 18:36
I was the one who conversed with you in your previous thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-76009-1-1.html

The thing that I noted then was that if I downloaded the original file, there was no sign of vignetting, and I also note that every example you have posted here shows the file inside an application. And those applications may have already loaded some default lens correction.

I ordered some filters, and they still incoming, so I do not have any filters at all right now; These are all stock/raw photos. Just took some again yesterday and found that all my 3:2 shots had that vignetting going on, but the others(4:3, 16:9) were perfectly fine. I mean it's not that big of a deal since it's most likely going to be cropped, but for an investment like this, I expect the product to be free from any possible defects.
PLus another user tested this out. Just check the video about 4 posts above this one since he got the same results. The vignetting is still there in RAW Image viewer, and photodirector has  it too, but LR basically auto corrects it and calls it 1:1, but there is actually more to the picture. If you look at the corners of that photo in different applications, then you can notice that LR crops out a small bit, but the truly uncropped image has some vignetting in basically all my 3:2 shots.
2016-12-20
Use props
webline
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Photoshop and Lightroom run some corrections on the image - easy to see:

The P4P shots were taken in RAW and 3:2 format. I don't have a problem with the P4P lens - but I need to adjust my workflow for HDR images. I use Photomatix Pro for HDR processing and this app shows the viginetting - the same with PTGui to stich panos. For both I will have to import the images into LR first, export them and then start with the other apps.
2016-12-20
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

webline Posted at 2016-12-20 22:11

[/img]

Thanks for your post. Hopefully this can get resolved by DJI, or is it just my phantom?......
In your opinion, is it ok for DJI to release a product that has vignetting at its optimal setting? If it's just my phantom, DJI, can I please get this replaced?
2016-12-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

webline Posted at 2016-12-21 17:11

http://www.drohnen-fotos-koeln.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/the-goo-the-bad.jpg[/img]

Can you explain what those two images are and how they were derived?
2016-12-20
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Trekz Posted at 2016-12-21 07:48
Thanks for your post. Hopefully this can get resolved by DJI, or is it just my phantom?......
In your opinion, is it ok for DJI to release a product that has vignetting at its optimal setting? If it's just my phantom, DJI, can I please get this replaced?

The fact that you even got that vignetting just means that your settings were not optimal.
The bottomline is -and this sounds contradictive- that the better a camera and its lens is (and this camera is a LOT beter than the other camera's for the Phantom: focusing, f-setting, A, S Or M settings, 20MP...) the more difficult it is to get it into it's 'optimal' settings.
Even more there just are no 'optimal' settings and, even worse, nobody can tell you which settings to use in certain conditions. Everything depends on the kind of photograph YOU want, which means that you can get a 100 different set of settings for a 100 different photographers taking the exact same picture with the exact same camera.
Look at as much pictures as you can, look at the F, S, iso-settings used and soon you will find out that the pictures you like most have something in common in their settings and that will be your first clue where to go.
All the rest, including some vignetting, is less important and easily correctable with (good) editors. (Which means: on a PC or a MAC, not everything and most certainly not everything in photo-editing can be done on tablets or phones, they just don't have the power to do that, let alone the screen surface to adequately judge the final outcome).
2016-12-21
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

PhanFran Posted at 2016-12-21 04:17
The fact that you even got that vignetting just means that your settings were not optimal.
The bottomline is -and this sounds contradictive- that the better a camera and its lens is (and this camera is a LOT beter than the other camera's for the Phantom: focusing, f-setting, A, S Or M settings, 20MP...) the more difficult it is to get it into it's 'optimal' settings.
Even more there just are no 'optimal' settings and, even worse, nobody can tell you which settings to use in certain conditions. Everything depends on the kind of photograph YOU want, which means that you can get a 100 different set of settings for a 100 different photographers taking the exact same picture with the exact same camera.

....so test my 3:2 shots in various settings? If all of my 3:2 shots end up having that vignetting, then isn't the p4p, or just my p4p, defective?
2016-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Trekz Posted at 2016-12-22 11:22
....so test my 3:2 shots in various settings? If all of my 3:2 shots end up having that vignetting, then isn't the p4p, or just my p4p, defective?

I don't know why I am seemingly wasting my time on this, but in your post at the top of this thread, you provided links to 'File 2', 'File 5' and 'File 9'. I downloaded those three files, put them through Adobe DNG Convertor and loaded them into Photoshop CS4, and there is no vignetting, none, nada, zip.

It has to be the programs you are using to look at the files.

I would encourage someone else to do the same as I did and tell us what the result is.

Here is 'File 2' to show you what I mean:

2016-12-21
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-21 17:29
I don't know why I am seemingly wasting my time on this, but in your post at the top of this thread, you provided links to 'File 2', 'File 5' and 'File 9'. I downloaded those three files, put them through Adobe DNG Convertor and loaded them into Photoshop CS4, and there is no vignetting, none, nada, zip.

It has to be the programs you are using to look at the files.

...that's auto cropped when you put it in the PS or LR
Thank you for your help though.
The other programs seem to pull the Full image. If you get something like Raw Image viewer or photodirector, then you can compare the pictures and see that the truck on the left is all there, whereas the picture you kindly provided has it auto cropped. That isn't your fault since LR does it automatically and says it's 1:1. Since I run photodirector, I'm a little more concerned about this matter.

Photodirector/Raw Image Viewer pulls the Full image, so one can see the vignetting that is 100% apparent in basically all my 3:2 shots. Please recheck the corners in the videos and see how much LR actually cuts out. It's subtle, but it's just enough to remove the vignetting effect, and it also takes a portion of the picture out with it.
Here's a quckly compiled snapshot comparison:

snapshots.JPG
2016-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Trekz Posted at 2016-12-22 14:36
...that's auto cropped when you put it in the PS or LR
Thank you for your help though.
The other programs seem to pull the Full image. If you get something like Raw Image viewer or photodirector, then you can compare the pictures and see that the truck on the left is all there, whereas the picture you kindly provided has it auto cropped. That isn't your fault since LR does it automatically and says it's 1:1. Since I run photodirector, I'm a little more concerned about this matter.

OK, I apologise, it is cropped. I just opened the DNG file in Da Vinci Resolve and it shows the full image with vignetting and also a disturbing amount of lens distortion.

I wonder if programs such as PS are programmed to automatically correct the distortion and crop the image. It would also be interesting to see what a simultaneous JPEG taken at the same time looked like.

But this opens an interesting can of worms, is your Phantom camera faulty, or do they all do this?
2016-12-21
Use props
webline
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

@Geebax: very easy. The lens on every P4P shows heavy vignetting. If you take an image with the max resolution (3:2) and use an editor that will not auto-correct the images (little crop, adjustment of brightness in the corner, lens distortion) you see something like the image on the right. If you open the same image in LR oder PS you see the image on the left. Always and with every P4P.
@Trekz: I don't think this is a real problem. Just look for an appropriate editor and you are fine. It's a very small lens and you have to pay a price for that. Still the output is very good and usable most of the time. My only problem is that I have to rearrange my workflow when doing 360° HDR panos.
2016-12-21
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-21 20:56
OK, I apologise, it is cropped. I just opened the DNG file in Da Vinci Resolve and it shows the full image with vignetting and also a disturbing amount of lens distortion.

I wonder if programs such as PS are programmed to automatically correct the distortion and crop the image. It would also be interesting to see what a simultaneous JPEG taken at the same time looked like.

No worries. That is exactly my question. DJI please answer this^
2016-12-21
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

webline Posted at 2016-12-21 21:57
@Geebax: very easy. The lens on every P4P shows heavy vignetting. If you take an image with the max resolution (3:2) and use an editor that will not auto-correct the images (little crop, adjustment of brightness in the corner, lens distortion) you see something like the image on the right. If you open the same image in LR oder PS you see the image on the left. Always and with every P4P.
@Trekz: I don't think this is a real problem. Just look for an appropriate editor and you are fine. It's a very small lens and you have to pay a price for that. Still the output is very good and usable most of the time. My only problem is that I have to rearrange my workflow when doing 360° HDR panos.

Yea, it's not too big of a deal, but this was the first time I've invested in a Brand New phantom, so I was expecting it to be flawless. Regardless, hopefully DJI can do something about this. Thank you all again for the time in this small investigation. ^
2016-12-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-22 15:56

"But this opens an interesting can of worms, is your Phantom camera faulty, or do they all do this?"

I just checked my jpg files in a variety of programs and I can't see any vignetting or cropping even using old programs made years before the Phantom.
I doubt that Adobe are correcting as the lastest Camera Raw last week still did not have a lens profile for the Phantom 4 pro and my pics show a slightly bowed horizon which should be corrected if it was in there.
2016-12-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-22 18:51
"But this opens an interesting can of worms, is your Phantom camera faulty, or do they all do this?"

I just checked my jpg files in a variety of programs and I can't see any vignetting or cropping even using old programs made years before the Phantom.

I am guessing that the DNG file is a pure RAW data file of the output of the sensor, with all its possible flaws, and that any program opening it has the ability to correct it to some degree. The only application I have on my computer that shows it up in its untouched glory is Resolve. Even the Windows RAW viewer that is part of the OS shows it cropped and the lens correction applied.

If that is the case, then I would suggest that all P4Ps will be the same, and Trekz aircraft is not faulty.

Another point is that when Photoshop opens the DNG file, it already has the cropping and lens correction applied, which suggests that the RAW file must contain the information to do this. My version of PS is CS4, far too old to know anything about the lens correction values for any of the DJI products, so this is why I think it must be contained in the DNG file.
2016-12-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-22 20:09
I am guessing that the DNG file is a pure RAW data file of the output of the sensor, with all its possible flaws, and that any program opening it has the ability to correct it to some degree. The only application I have on my computer that shows it up in its untouched glory is Resolve. Even the Windows RAW viewer that is part of the OS shows it cropped and the lens correction applied.

If that is the case, then I would suggest that all P4Ps will be the same, and Trekz aircraft is not faulty.

When I open these and other raw files from the P4pro, they are 5464 x 3640
My jpg files are a tad larger at 5472 x 3648
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-22 21:03
When I open these and other raw files from the P4pro, they are 5464 x 3640
My jpg files are a tad larger at 5472 x 3648

Hmm, don't know what to make of that.....
2016-12-22
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-22 10:09

That is exactly right: DNG-files are RAW data right from the sensor. You HAVE to edit these in postproduction or you end up with a bad picture with bad colors, vignetting etc.
The exact same thing happens with my Nikon D800E which shows heavy vignetting in RAW and no vignetting if shot in JPG.  Why ? Because the processor INSIDE the Nikon did all the most needed corrections of vignetting, color, white balance etc already BEFORE it saved the file on your card.
When you shoot in RAW (.DNG for DJI, a Raw-format that was developed by Adobe but never widely accepted, .NEF for Nikon) you have NO choice you HAVE to edit the picture because all the inherent flaws of lens and sensor are still there. The only freedom you get is to correct the raw data YOUR way and not the way some Nikon or DJI-engineers decided what was best for that picture.
2016-12-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PhanFran Posted at 2016-12-23 01:53
That is exactly right: DNG-files are RAW data right from the sensor. You HAVE to edit these in postproduction or you end up with a bad picture with bad colors, vignetting etc.
The exact same thing happens with my Nikon D800E which shows heavy vignetting in RAW and no vignetting if shot in JPG.  Why ? Because the processor INSIDE the Nikon did all the most needed corrections of vignetting, color, white balance etc already BEFORE it saved the file on your card.
When you shoot in RAW (.DNG for DJI, a Raw-format that was developed by Adobe but never widely accepted, .NEF for Nikon) you have NO choice you HAVE to edit the picture because all the inherent flaws of lens and sensor are still there. The only freedom you get is to correct the raw data YOUR way and not the way some Nikon or DJI-engineers decided what was best for that picture.

Yes., I am fully aware of what a RAW image is, the point I was trying to make is that there must be some lens data contained in the DNG file, because my older version of Photoshop knows how to correct it. Many have suggested that only recently have these programs been providsed with lens correction information pertinent to the DJI cameras.
2016-12-22
Use props
webline
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

RAW = unprocessed data from the sensor. The lens has vignetting and so has the RAW image. That's not limited to specific P4Ps.
But it is not problem at all. You have to process the raw data to get useful material. And DNG is not equal to DNG. Each and every camera uses it own DNG interpretation. So if you like to get the max quality in a more universal DNG raw file: get the "Adobe Digital Negative Converter" and convert you P4P files. You will get the same size but no vignetting ;)
Had to figure it out myself - but thats a good and easy way to go.
2016-12-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

webline Posted at 2016-12-24 05:54
RAW = unprocessed data from the sensor. The lens has vignetting and so has the RAW image. That's not limited to specific P4Ps.
But it is not problem at all. You have to process the raw data to get useful material. And DNG is not equal to DNG. Each and every camera uses it own DNG interpretation. So if you like to get the max quality in a more universal DNG raw file: get the "Adobe Digital Negative Converter" and convert you P4P files. You will get the same size but no vignetting ;)

'So if you like to get the max quality in a more universal DNG raw file: get the "Adobe Digital Negative Converter" and convert you P4P files. You will get the same size but no vignetting ;)'

That is exactly what I was using to bring the DNG shots into Photoshop, and it cropped the image during the process. Which is why I then used Da Vinci Resolve to reveal the image without cropping.
2016-12-23
Use props
webline
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

"That is exactly what I was using to bring the DNG shots into Photoshop"
?? If you open the DNGs in PS you don't need to run them through the converter 'cause PS opens them with the Camera RAW module anyhow. You need the converter if you use the images in software that is not fully compatible with the DNGs from your P4P (as you wrote yourself). And it is no pure cropping - if you look at the truck in the sample image - no strait lines - the converter or camera raw module correct the distortion of the lens too. So everything is fine for me and I'm out of this discussion - have fun with your P4P
2016-12-23
Use props
HellStream
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1370771 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Vignetting is totally normal. Use camera raw or Adobe Lightroom to edit your photos. I just opened one of your DNG file in Lightroom. Lightroom even says: Built-in Lens Profile applied.

2016-12-25
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

webline Posted at 2016-12-23 10:54

What are the optimal settings for converting vignetted dng files in Adobe's Digital Negative Converter? I have yet to find a combo that cleans it like LS's auto correct.
2016-12-26
Use props
webline
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

@Trekz just use the default settings. Nothing "special". But be aware that the images are still DNGs - you will see the vignetting in some image apps if you open those files - if they don't support the lens profile for the P4P. The converter just gives you a more "standard" DNG. The size goes down, the preview will show up on a Mac...
2016-12-27
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Could just shoot in 4:3 which is normal DSLR format.  The answer is above however, auto correction made for the lens profile fixes the image right up.
2016-12-27
Use props
Trekz
lvl.4
United States

since photodirector doesn't have the lens profile for the p4p, does anyone know any other alternative to lens correct a 3:2 p4p dng file besides LR? I'm looking for one that is preferably free
2016-12-28
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

To chime in with the choir: I use On1 RAW and unfortunately it shows the vignetting, too. Even more unfortunate is that DXO Optics Pro refuses to open the DNG since it is unknown to the program. I really don't want to go the Adobe-road but if anyone has a suggestion what app to convert the Phantom DNG into something more common I'll be grateful. Oh, OSX not Windows.
2017-1-28
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Trekz Posted at 2016-12-28 04:19
since photodirector doesn't have the lens profile for the p4p, does anyone know any other alternative to lens correct a 3:2 p4p dng file besides LR? I'm looking for one that is preferably free

This, and for Mac.
2017-1-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules