An All-in-One Setup Guide for the Phantom 3 Standard
105929 30 2016-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

A 12 megapixel flying camera for $399? Yes, the future is possible, and DJI’s Phantom 3 Standard is available for just $399 USD on the DJI Online Store. Some of you may receive a Phantom 3 Standard this holiday season or give one to a friend or loved one. Whether you’re the lucky new pilot, or you’re giving someone else the gift of flight, here are some tips to get started!

1.png

To ensure everything goes smoothly with your new drone, DJI has prepared this handy start-up guide for you.

1. Prepare for Your First Flight

As soon as you open the box, you’ll probably want to take to the skies right away, but there are a few simple things you’ll need to do first to get ready.

First of all, activate your drone. Activating your drone will mark the start of your 1-year product warranty. You’ll choose some basic setting preferences during activation. Here’s how to activate:

• Create an account on www.dji.com.
  • Download the DJI Go app (DJI Go, NOT DJI Go 4) from the App Store or Google Play Store.
  • Power on your remote controller by pressing the power button for 1 second, releasing it, and then pressing it again for 3 seconds. Then do the same to power on the aircraft.
  • Connect a compatible mobile device with your Phantom 3 standard via WIFI. The default password is 12341234.
  • Go back to the app and it will ask you to activate your aircraft.
  • Then follow the instructions in the app to name your aircraft. You can change the name later in the app if you want.
  • Choose a Stick Mode. Mode 2 is the default mode, and you can set a custom mode after activation if you want.
  • After all this, the app will ask you to switch the WIFI to your home WIFI network. Follow the steps in the app to finish activation.

Check out this tutorial for a visual walkthrough:

If the activation fails or the aircraft disconnects during the process, you can troubleshoot with the following steps:
1. Try using an Android device if you’re using an iOS device, or vice versa. Get everything connected and try again. Check this site to see which mobile devices are compatible with DJI Go:  http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads
2. Try to register with another email account on the DJI website then log into your app and try to activate again.
3. Try another WIFI network or 4G to ensure internet stability.

2. Do a Preflight Check

3.png

Before you take off, you should always do a check your app settings and your environment. Choose an open area, so signal interference can be minimized, and turn on the remote controller first, then the aircraft. Once the aircraft warms up, calibrate the compass. Also, make sure the battery level is at or above 50%, and we recommend only flying when 10 or more GPS satellites are available. For your drone to automatically return to home, you’ll need to have at least 6 before you take off. After you’ve done all that, you’re ready to fly!
This tutorial will show you how to prepare for a safe flight:

3. Fly Safe!

Once you’ve completed your preflight check and you’re ready to go, take off slowly and enjoy flying! But take it easy at first. We recommend starting in Beginner Mode, which limits how far away and how high you can fly. Once you’ve got your bearings and turn off Beginner Mode, make sure to keep your drone within line of sight. Also, during flight, if you have low battery or loose signal, you may see some warnings appear in the app. It’s important to know how to react when you see such warnings, especially when you lose RC signal. Check out this tutorial to learn more:

4. Update the Firmware

DJI will occasionally update drone and RC firmware to optimize performance or add new features. Updating Phantom 3 Standard firmware is pretty easy, but here are some tips to ensure your update goes smoothly.

Use the DJI Go app to update both the aircraft and the remote controller at the same time. Unlike some DJI drones, once the Phantom 3 Standard’s firmware has been updated, it can’t be downgraded. Here’s how to update:

4.png

• Power on your aircraft and remote controller, then connect your mobile device with your aircraft WIFI.
  • Make sure the battery level is greater than 50%.
  • Follow the steps in the app and don’t interrupt the update. The drone might beep loudly (4 beeps in a row, like “D-D-D-D”), which means it’s updating. If you turn the drone off, the update will fail for sure. Wait patiently for about 30 minutes, then check the gimbal LED. If it’s solid green, update is complete.
  • Check in the app to confirm that the update was successful. Keep everything connected, enter the camera view, tap on the three dots in the top right corner, scroll down, and tap About to check current firmware version. Make sure the displayed version is the version to which you updated.
  • If your update fails, make sure you had your SD card inserted. Updating won’t work without an SD card. If you did have it inserted, try reformatting the SD card to fat32, reconnect everything, and try updating again.

If that doesn’t work, please export your upgrade log file and send it to DJI support for diagnosis. Log files are located in hidden folder on your SD card.

Check out this tutorial for details:

5. Consider Getting DJI Care

5.png

DJI Care is a service plan that’s available a number of DJI products, including the Phantom 3 Standard. You can purchase a one-year plan at $114 USD to enjoy VIP service and escalated repairs for the duration of coverage. With DJI Care, you’ll get free shipping both ways when you send your unit in for repair, you can apply for repair as many times as you want, and the coverage amount is equal to the cost of a brand new aircraft. You can purchase DJI Care with the Phantom 3 Standard on the DJI Store or within 48 hours of activation.

If you wanted to purchase DJI Care after it’s been activated for over 48 hours, please submit a verification video via this link:

For more details about DJI Care, visit this link:

Excited? Please visit this link to know how to purchase DJI Care for your Phantom 3 Standard.

6. Other Information

You can find a detailed list of the Phantom 3 Standard’s specifications here:

Here’s an FAQ about the Phantom 3 Standard:

If you want to know more about our aftersales policies, including the specific terms for your region, how long your warranty lasts, or service processes, visit this link:

If you want to learn more about our products, share your picture and video, or connect with other pilots, come to check out the DJI Forum:

To contact our customer service team, select a channel at the bottom of this page to connect with one of our agents:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays from DJI!

2016-12-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Thank you! I've heard that my mother is buying several of my non-techy family members the P3S for Christmas and this will help them get up and running!
2016-12-21
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

These might be old, but here are some other tips for first timers I created to help.

2016-12-21
Use props
dh2383
New
United Kingdom

Hi  done all that but my battery will not charge.  Any ideas for helping me?
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

dh2383 Posted at 2016-12-27 19:01
Hi  done all that but my battery will not charge.  Any ideas for helping me?

May I know when you bought it?
The charge is working fine and remote can be charged properly, right?
Do you have another battery to have a try?
2016-12-27
Use props
Bobby_V
New

United States

Thanks.  My wife and daughters just surprised me with a Phantom 3 Standard.  This will help a bunch.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Bobby_V Posted at 2016-12-28 08:53
Thanks.  My wife and daughters just surprised me with a Phantom 3 Standard.  This will help a bunch.

Wow, very nice present, hope you enjoy it with your family!
2016-12-27
Use props
carkev
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-28 06:55
Wow, very nice present, hope you enjoy it with your family!

I really fancy a Phantom 3 Standard, but first decided to ensure that the app would work on my Moto G Android phone

I downloaded the Android DJI Go app as recommended, but on the opening screen it asked which model, and only showed 3 Inspire models.
The DJI Go 4 app was no better - it just showed Phantom 4
so can you definitively say that the DJI Go app will recognise a Phantom 3 when connected?
many thanks,
Kevin, UK.

2016-12-28
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Can you activate a phantom3 with a Nvidia shield?  I could not activate my drone with a droid turbo.  I wasn't going to fly with the phone just activate?  Please advise.
2016-12-28
Use props
fanse6012a8d
New

United States

I wish I would have seen this when it was first posted! LOL I spent a couple hours yesterday going thru videos to prepare for my first flight this morning. Everything worked perfectly, flying in beginner mode. The DJI 3 Standard is amazing and the video is beautiful!!!!!!
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

carkev Posted at 2016-12-28 03:54
I really fancy a Phantom 3 Standard, but first decided to ensure that the app would work on my Moto G Android phone

I downloaded the Android DJI Go app as recommended, but on the opening screen it asked which model, and only showed 3 Inspire models.

Kevin, DJI GO 4 does not support P3S, you need install the DJI GO APP.
The phantom WiFi is connected fine on your device, right? what is the led status on the remote? please turn on remote firstly, then aircraft, and APP last.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2016-12-28 10:05
Can you activate a phantom3 with a Nvidia shield?  I could not activate my drone with a droid turbo.  I wasn't going to fly with the phone just activate?  Please advise.

What is the error message when activating it? have you upgraded the firmware to the latest?
You can also delete the APP and re-install it then try again.
Just to clarify, your aircraft is P3S, right?
2016-12-29
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Yes I updated to latest firmware.  I got to the end and it said invalid device.  Indid some research and may people activated their drones with a shield.  So I downloaded app with my shield hooked up drone and it won't prompt me to activate.  How do I prompt the app for activation?
2016-12-29
Use props
carkev
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-29 03:15
The phantom WiFi is connected fine on your device, right? what is the led status on the remote? please turn on remote firstly, then aircraft, and APP last.

thanks Natalia,
I may have not made it clear
2016-12-29
Use props
carkev
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-29 03:15

thanks Natalia,
I may have not made it clear that i don't own the P3S yet, but just ensuring the app would work on my phone - but the advice you gave was more than helpful.
2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2016-12-29 08:04
Yes I updated to latest firmware.  I got to the end and it said invalid device.  Indid some research and may people activated their drones with a shield.  So I downloaded app with my shield hooked up drone and it won't prompt me to activate.  How do I prompt the app for activation?

Would you please try another mobile device to have a try, it's better use a device in DJI recommended list.
Besides, please help me confirm the aircraft SN, thanks.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

carkev Posted at 2016-12-29 12:32
thanks Natalia,
I may have not made it clear that i don't own the P3S yet, but just ensuring the app would work on my phone - but the advice you gave was more than helpful.

Since the Moto G is not in DJI recommended list, the performance cannot be guaranteed.
Please have a try and check whether it's working properly with your aircraft and feel free to contact us for any further questions.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans28f97019
New

United States

Can't start the rotors
2016-12-31
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you in a no fly zone?
2017-1-1
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Combination_Stick_Command

also if in beginner mode you need to be out side with GPS
2017-1-1
Use props
fanscd6dd9d7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85394 ft
France

Please i need help.
Bought 15 days ago and after a dozen of flights without problem on ipad of no signal and no video.
Status level : upgrade error of the device.
Many attemps to restore the version 1-9-60 remained empty. At first installation beep beep then 4 beeps and then a shrill sound permanent.
To cut the sound pod calibration stops It.
Light gimbal red. RC Green.
No signal, howerver the caméra shoots well and takes pictures that can hé seen of the SD card on computer but no possibility to see by pressing the arrow under setting camera from app.
The P3P can fly but no signal on the app.
Please i am in France and i have not a good English wat can y do?
Where if not soluce repair center sending ?
What is  the process to return the P3P is still under guarantee and where Germany or Netherland ?
Not crashed and no hard landing.
Please and thank you
2017-1-3
Use props
fanscd6dd9d7
lvl.1
France

Hello the situation is evolved : all status on the app are ok but no more signal.
Actuelly light gimbal green
RC : light green
Aircraft : front red other side 2 flash Green

App : version 3-1-1
Aircraft : version 1-10-60
RC : version 1-8-0

If you have answer please help me
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanscd6dd9d7 Posted at 2017-1-3 03:58
Please i need help.
Bought 15 days ago and after a dozen of flights without problem on ipad of no signal and no video.
Status level : upgrade error of the device.

The FPV page is black, right? please try to reset camera settings or change other mobile device to check the performance again. You can also upload a screenshot here if convenient.
If no improvement, you need send it in to NL service center to get it evaluated and repaired, please feel free to contact our tech support here: http://www.dji.com/support/product
2017-1-3
Use props
drb1215
lvl.2

United States

Thank you! Being new to the world of drones, this info has been very helpful.
2017-1-4
Use props
fanscd6dd9d7
lvl.1
France

Thank you Natalia, I have take a other mobile device and the problem is the same : no signal.
IMG_0623.PNG
IMG_0624.PNG
2017-1-4
Use props
fanscd6dd9d7
lvl.1
France

Hello Natalia,  I have no chance with my P3P old 1 month.
I have 2 screenshots upload and another mobile device tested and the problem continue. NO SIGNAL.
I will contact NL service center tomorrow but can you see me wath is the process to send it.
Do I all send RC and P3P or just P3P with special carrier?
Why follow the repair ?
If you have some exemple I take it.
Thanks
2017-1-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanscd6dd9d7 Posted at 2017-1-4 11:59
Hello Natalia,  I have no chance with my P3P old 1 month.
I have 2 screenshots upload and another mobile device tested and the problem continue. NO SIGNAL.
I will contact NL service center tomorrow but can you see me wath is the process to send it.

Our support will help you create a case and provide you a case number then send you a shipping label, then you can send it in.
You can send both RC and AC in without battery or propellers.
2017-1-5
Use props
fanscd6dd9d7
lvl.1
France

Thank you Natalia I have sending mail at support.eu@ dji.com and waiting answer.
2017-1-5
Use props
fanscd6dd9d7
lvl.1
France

Hello Natalia can you say me what is the normal waiting  period  for have an answer from support repair service. I have send mail at this adress is it good : support.nl@dji.com because I not understand the process explaining by phone.
Thank you
Cordially
Bruno
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanscd6dd9d7 Posted at 2017-1-5 03:36
Thank you Natalia I have sending mail at support.eu@ dji.com and waiting answer.
Bruno, may I know have you already sent it in?
2017-1-10
Use props
djiuser_hAlfR9Y
New
United States

Question:  Is an extender for the mobile device clamp available?  My 7" tablet is too large to fit into the clamp that came with the controller.
2017-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules