7348 174 2016-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-27 19:07
In my case it didn't complete the install, I get a failed install error message. I had moved the remote from one side of the room to the other during the install, that's all it took to get an error. So it let me re-install the FW, this time I didn't move a thing. I try to advice everyone to download the FW close to your router so there's a good signal, and do the opposite when doing the install. Get far away from your home router, and keep all three pieces right next to each other and don't move anything till it's done.

'Download the FW close to your router so there's a good signal, and do the opposite when doing the install. Get far away from your home router, and keep all three pieces right next to each other and don't move anything till it's done'

... and ... be patient!

Good advice William
2016-12-27
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-27 13:07
In my case it didn't complete the install, I get a failed install error message. I had moved the remote from one side of the room to the other during the install, that's all it took to get an error. So it let me re-install the FW, this time I didn't move a thing. I try to advice everyone to download the FW close to your router so there's a good signal, and do the opposite when doing the install. Get far away from your home router, and keep all three pieces right next to each other and don't move anything till it's done.

Wow! You would think that the error correction routine would catch that. Maybe there isn't any. But that is definitely good to know to keep everything close.
2016-12-27
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

RSH Posted at 2016-12-25 21:58
Fully intend to replace it, just not happy it was a sad Christmas for the SIL.

Not sure how you can say operator error.  You turn on the TR, the drone, the tablet and then when you see the upgrade available you tap it.  What about that is subject to error?

Please re read my post

did not say it WAS operator error!

2016-12-27
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

RSH Posted at 2016-12-25 21:53
Surely you understand that DJI STRONGLY recommends you update the firmware whenever a new release is issued.  I always updated my P3A at each release.  Why in God's name would you suggest that a new owner not follow that same recommendation.

Having said that I am inclined to believe it is a HW issue, but as I said earlier, it is still poor QC no matter what but especially given that every unit manufactured since October was for the Christmas market.

"Strongly" is not mandatory.

He suggested that it is best to get familiar with something prior to jumping all in!

His suggestion is valid as well as many that have been offered by others

good luck and have fun flying
2016-12-27
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
United States

Gnomad Posted at 2016-12-26 00:17
This is why GoPro and Apple lost market share and so will DJI. In this day and age you ship tech it damn better well work, you can't rest on your laurels.

This is just one more example why the FAA has stepped in since they know that these toys are unsafe for normal operation.

funniest post I have read in along time

thanks I needed a laugh!
2016-12-27
Use props
THA
lvl.1
United States

I wonder how many of us newbies when after linking up controller and drone, then seeing the note to upgrade go and change the wifi to get on internet and after upgrading forget to go back and hook up the phantom wifi.  I did and finally figured out why I could not connect controller to drone.
2016-12-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

BillW50 Posted at 2016-12-27 14:45
Wow! You would think that the error correction routine would catch that. Maybe there isn't any. But that is definitely good to know to keep everything close.

Maybe not, Once while downloading some map files to my Garmin via my computer's wifi I kept getting an error, and the file would not completely download. When calling support they have me run a CAT-5 cable from my system to the router and it worked on the first try. They explained to me (a bit over my head) there were different ways to download/steam a file to the Garmin via my computer and the way Garmin chose to used was not very wifi friendly. It did have something to do with error checking and pack sizes?? I think.
2016-12-27
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-27 14:31
Maybe not, Once while downloading some map files to my Garmin via my computer's wifi I kept getting an error, and the file would not completely download. When calling support they have me run a CAT-5 cable from my system to the router and it worked on the first try. They explained to me (a bit over my head) there were different ways to download/steam a file to the Garmin via my computer and the way Garmin chose to used was not very wifi friendly. It did have something to do with error checking and pack sizes?? I think.

Hmm... yeah I could buy that.
2016-12-27
Use props
Brocktree
lvl.1
United States

I received a P4 for Christmas in a batch of 5 others that were given to other family members... 2/5 have defective batteries! Such a hassle to deal with this.
2016-12-27
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

AlecW Posted at 2016-12-28 05:11
Ruined Christmas.   Really, a drone problem ruined christmas?   Are you 12?

And it was the only gift he got! Should have been coal.
2016-12-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Kirk2579 Posted at 2016-12-27 15:18
funniest post I have read in along time

thanks I needed a laugh!

I agree "Apple lost market shares"? Maybe true, but it's one of the most cash rich companies on the planet.
And "these toys unsafe for normal operation" what does that mean??
2016-12-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Brocktree Posted at 2016-12-27 16:10
I received a P4 for Christmas in a batch of 5 others that were given to other family members... 2/5 have defective batteries! Such a hassle to deal with this.

Five P4's in one family, could you adopt me. At least for next x-mas.
2016-12-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-28 09:29
I agree "Apple lost market shares"? Maybe true, but it's one of the most cash rich companies on the planet.
And "these toys unsafe for normal operation" what does that mean??

'Maybe true, but it's one of the most cash rich companies on the planet.'

Perhaps, but will it still be after Tim Cook has finished running it and all the bills are paid for the extravagant new 'Campus II'.
2016-12-27
Use props
fans546e9bfd
lvl.1

Canada

Why don't they make this garbage work. I'm down in the Baja and the dammed camera is not working saying it needs a upgrade? Wifi is do hard to find here. I am just about ready to throw this phantom 3 professional against the wall after trying several times to do a firmware upgrade!!!
2016-12-27
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

fans546e9bfd Posted at 2016-12-28 07:00
Why don't they make this garbage work. I'm down in the Baja and the dammed camera is not working saying it needs a upgrade? Wifi is do hard to find here. I am just about ready to throw this phantom 3 professional against the wall after trying several times to do a firmware upgrade!!!

Throw it at me.
2016-12-27
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

fans546e9bfd Posted at 2016-12-27 18:00

You can just ignore the upgrade message, fly and enjoy.
2016-12-27
Use props
RSH
lvl.1

United States

For all the haters and know it alls.  See the barometer thread and DJI response below.

9#
cris1990 Posted at 2016-12-27 09:45
i downgrade to 1.6.8 , but  not working  , and i try IMU calibration , and again not working

Sorry for the issue, we're working on this case, please leave me your e-mail address, we'll send you an file for upgrading again.
2016-12-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-28 06:34
'Maybe true, but it's one of the most cash rich companies on the planet.'

Perhaps, but will it still be after Tim Cook has finished running it and all the bills are paid for the extravagant new 'Campus II'.

Apple is well below its former glory days ... it could be a similar situation to fall of Nokia .... busting a gut trying to develop new product.
Nigel
2016-12-27
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-28 03:07

Good advice. Adhere to this and there will be far less bad installs.

Wifi at it's best is potentially a can of worms especially when it's used in conjunction with mobile devices of dubious quality and are rarely maintained stationary during the download and upgrade process. Wifi on a phone  is only an added feature and can have serious shortcomings. That is why I use a wifi-only tablet with my drone.

2016-12-27
Use props
BrianLCrawford
New

United States

Ok, so reading through this, I'm now confused. I got myself a P3S for Xmas, and on the controller itself it says on a sticker, verbatim:

"NOTICE
-Download DJI GO app
-Launch DJI Go app and tutorials
-Check firmware status
-Upgrade the firmware"

Now, here, all the seasoned people are saying to do the opposite, and if I do, I'm sure if I crash or have an issue unrelated to operator error, DJI is going to blame the fact I didn't upgrade. However, in thread after thread, people are having issues right after updating firmware on aircraft that had no previous issues.

SO am I SOL here? If I upgrade and it bricks, (yes, I've read the manual over twice and watched every official tutorial video over and over while I waited the month it took to even ship) I'm screwed, as someone said in the thread earlier, just MOVING the controller can screw it up (really?!), and one can't roll back it seems.

If I disregard what DJI themselves recommend and DON'T upgrade the FW and there's some catastrophic issue out of my control (yes I know that's a long-shot, but still), it appears as though the FW will be blamed, as every troubleshooting post I see the first thing a DJI rep asks is "is it upgraded?"

So, my battery is charged and all I want to do is hop into the simulator for a few hours before I fly it, but I'm afraid to even power it up at this point because I don't know if a FW update is a risk or not.

Am I overreacting? (I'm assuming and hoping so) Or should I just go without and hope nothing happens? It took so long to even have the damn thing shipped the last thing I want to happen is to have to send it back for repairs.

Sorry to be annoying.
2016-12-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

BrianLCrawford Posted at 2016-12-28 14:37
Ok, so reading through this, I'm now confused. I got myself a P3S for Xmas, and on the controller itself it says on a sticker, verbatim:

"NOTICE

The advice from experienced pilots is to fly the aircraft as it comes out of the box, get used to handling it and flying it, then tackle the upgrade. Many people take it out of the box, attempt the upgrade and brick the aircraft because they do not know of all the subtle things that can go wrong in an upgrade. Have some fun with it first, and BTW, AFAIK, no-one has ever been refused warranty because they did not upgrade.
2016-12-27
Use props
BrianLCrawford
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-27 21:07
The advice from experienced pilots is to fly the aircraft as it comes out of the box, get used to handling it and flying it, then tackle the upgrade. Many people take it out of the box, attempt the upgrade and brick the aircraft because they do not know of all the subtle things that can go wrong in an upgrade. Have some fun with it first, and BTW, AFAIK, no-one has ever been refused warranty because they did not upgrade.

Appreciate the feedback That's what I was leaning towards, just excited to get this thing up and want to take it slow to start!
2016-12-27
Use props
RicknCovington
lvl.2
Flight distance : 186322 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-25 19:29
Your line, "Why in God's name would you suggest that a new owner not follow that same recommendation." Us that have been with Phantoms and DJI for awhile always recommend not to upgrade the FW right out of the box. I do this very often myself when giving advice to a new Phantom owner, so I'm sorry to say your the one that is wrong on this issue. The FW on these Phantoms can be very glitchy sometime, and having a new pilot with no experience with drones or DJI Phantoms doing a FW update right off is not advisable. It best to just fly and get some flying under your belt so you get to know your drone and how it's meant to work before messing around with software changes.

Really? It's the new DJI owner that is wrong for upgrading the FW, because he didn't inherently know that the DJI FW/SW issues were always crappy?  No we are not!  That is exactly what everyone of us over the last 30 years, has been trained to do by the electronics software industry.  I can't find it now, but a previous poster tried qualifying his bash of the new DJI owners, by referencing some "poll" he did, which had some 15 great updates/no problems to 5 bad ones.  That right there, even if the numbers were 50-5, are crappy QC numbers.  Industry-wide, you better not be pushing more than 2% failures out the door, or you won't be around long.  10-1 failure rate, is not a NEWBIE issue.  It's a Quality Control issue.  It is normal for companies to push buggy software/firmware out the door, specially during holiday seasons, to meet production quotes.  They figure they will fix it on the next firmware/software release.  Sometimes that release is a little buggier than they expected.  Sometimes it the difference between chip manufactures, or even version of chip from the same manufacture.  Sometimes they don't know about the  differences, until something like this pops up.
And it could very well be operator error.  But, even then, I still don't blame the new operator.  I can tell you as a new operator, DJI videos, Quick Start Guide, Users Manual, are not very clear or intuitive in some areas.  (example. I have watched over 10-15 of their videos, thoroughly read the manual and quick start guide, and I cannot find one thing that tells me what any of the icons on the small or large map are, or how to use anything on that map...including why I can't get high res maps.)  There are way too many forums, videos, blogs, etc. on this very subject of the DJI firmware upgrade issue, for this to be just a NEWBIE issue.
And as a NEWBIE, sitting here trying to read all these post, and continually coming across these comments like "It worked fine for me, so it must be operator error."  or "RTFM". come across and portray you people as rude, arroragant, and quite frankly ignorant of how the electronics and software industry actually work.  Although I haven't read the complete "manual" on how to use this forum, if there is a block function here, I guarantee I will be blocking some of you already.
2016-12-28
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RicknCovington Posted at 2016-12-28 21:54
Really? It's the new DJI owner that is wrong for upgrading the FW, because he didn't inherently know that the DJI FW/SW issues were always crappy?  No we are not!  That is exactly what everyone of us over the last 30 years, has been trained to do by the electronics software industry.  I can't find it now, but a previous poster tried qualifying his bash of the new DJI owners, by referencing some "poll" he did, which had some 15 great updates/no problems to 5 bad ones.  That right there, even if the numbers were 50-5, are crappy QC numbers.  Industry-wide, you better not be pushing more than 2% failures out the door, or you won't be around long.  10-1 failure rate, is not a NEWBIE issue.  It's a Quality Control issue.  It is normal for companies to push buggy software/firmware out the door, specially during holiday seasons, to meet production quotes.  They figure they will fix it on the next firmware/software release.  Sometimes that release is a little buggier than they expected.  Sometimes it the difference between chip manufactures, or even version of chip from the same manufacture.  Sometimes they don't know about the  differences, until something like this pops up.
And it could very well be operator error.  But, even then, I still don't blame the new operator.  I can tell you as a new operator, DJI videos, Quick Start Guide, Users Manual, are not very clear or intuitive in some areas.  (example. I have watched over 10-15 of their videos, thoroughly read the manual and quick start guide, and I cannot find one thing that tells me what any of the icons on the small or large map are, or how to use anything on that map...including why I can't get high res maps.)  There are way too many forums, videos, blogs, etc. on this very subject of the DJI firmware upgrade issue, for this to be just a NEWBIE issue.
And as a NEWBIE, sitting here trying to read all these post, and continually coming across these comments like "It worked fine for me, so it must be operator error."  or "RTFM". come across and portray you people as rude, arroragant, and quite frankly ignorant of how the electronics and software industry actually work.  Although I haven't read the complete "manual" on how to use this forum, if there is a block function here, I guarantee I will be blocking some of you already.

You best block me now then
2016-12-29
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Sad you gave up so soon.  The trick is to turn off the controller, the birds battery, and exit the DJI Go app.  Start everything up again but this time insure you have the wireless connection from the controller to the bird first.  But you returned it so never mind.

For others here are the steps to insure you get a good firmware update to your P3S.
1. insure all other apps are closed on your mobile phone.
2. Make sure you have both the controller and the intelligent battery charged,
3. Plug in your intelligent battery into your Phantom 3 Standard (don't turn on yet).
4. Install the DJI Go app on your mobile device.
5. Turn on your controller and turn your controller upside down.  You will see a small tag that shows you the controllers wireless SSID  and password.
6. Go to your wireless setting on your phone and select the Phantom 3 (per step 5).
7. Start up the DJI Go app.
8. Plug in and turn on (tap tap hold) your PS3 intelligent battery.
9. Wait for the firmware update notice on the DJI Go app.  If you do not have cell, it will ask to switch back to your home wireless Internet for download.
10. After the download, it will ask if you want to start the firmware update. Do this and just walk away.

You will hear beeping, hiss sounds, and other odd stuff but do not touch anything.
This can take 30 minutes or so.

If the firmware update fails, simply exit the DJI Go app, turn off the PS3 and turn it back on, then start up the DJI Go app again.  

The trick is that some do not properlly conect to the controller resulting in issues.  Many start the app, then the bird, then the controller thinking somehow the magic is instant connection.   
Always take your time and walk through the steps for a proper connection between the contoller, bird, and the App.  Failure to do so will result in no camera (greyed out), bird not responding, etc.

What this means is that the connection between all three is not there.

2016-12-29
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Thailand

I totally agree, too many here blame operator when we did everything right. DJI are failing here big time, I believe 1% failure is poor on something that could be so dangerous if it hit someone or something. Get some new software out please asap DJI to make these things safe because a lot of us are upgrading correctly and flying right but still have range and wifi issues,
2016-12-29
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2016-12-29 21:43
I totally agree, too many here blame operator when we did everything right. DJI are failing here big time, I believe 1% failure is poor on something that could be so dangerous if it hit someone or something. Get some new software out please asap DJI to make these things safe because a lot of us are upgrading correctly and flying right but still have range and wifi issues,

What do you think is wrong with the version of the software you have that is fine for me?

I'm not saying you're not having problems just why do you think the software that works fine for most is broken for some?
2016-12-30
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

Why are people upgrading the firmware? I'm still on 1.2.4. Why upgrade if everything is working great.
2016-12-30
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Makokiller Posted at 2016-12-30 05:18
Why are people upgrading the firmware? I'm still on 1.2.4. Why upgrade if everything is working great.

Good response

If it ain't bust - don't mess with it

Or if you do mess with it - it may be better - or maybe not
2016-12-30
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120141 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-26 13:16
Funny how the last time we heard from the OP is when he replied to my post asking him if he did the CSC to start the motors, and he replied "what's a CSC" lol

hahaha I thought the same thing. Probably he hasnt had enough time to post a reply cause he is too busy having fun flying since he discovered the CSC LOL
2016-12-30
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Gerardo Rejec Posted at 2016-12-30 09:34
hahaha I thought the same thing. Probably he hasnt had enough time to post a reply cause he is too busy having fun flying since he discovered the CSC LOL

I hope so, but he's probably whining on a different forum now
2016-12-30
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Makokiller Posted at 2016-12-30 05:18

I would think because your thinking it's going to give you some new features to improve performance and safety. I will say there seems to be a good amount of newbies (x-mas gifts) on my other thread (http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 12&page=1#pid625767) saying their range is bad, not sure if it's out of the box or after doing a FW update. Hope DJI is not putting out product with lower quality control. My P3S is great, from range to GPS lock, no compass issues and very stable in flight, has been from day one.
2016-12-30
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-30 12:37
I would think because your thinking it's going to give you some new features to improve performance and safety. I will say there seems to be a good amount of newbies (x-mas gifts) on my other thread (http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 12&page=1#pid625767) saying their range is bad, not sure if it's out of the box or after doing a FW update. Hope DJI is not putting out product with lower quality control. My P3S is great, from range to GPS lock, no compass issues and very stable in flight, has been from day one.

I feel the same way but I doubt it's a QC issue. Probably most of the units that were warehoused for Christmas distribution are old stock with 1.6.8 firmware and only the few are issue-free because they already have current firmware installed managed to get through the distribution network in time for the holidays. At least DJI is doing something positive for those that for whatever reason have experienced failed upgrades.   
2016-12-30
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Thailand

Knobbynomates Posted at 2016-12-30 05:07
What do you think is wrong with the version of the software you have that is fine for me?

I'm not saying you're not having problems just why do you think the software that works fine for most is broken for some?

Constant interference message, loss and weak RC signal that never happened with1.5.8 and started with 1.6.8 then DJI issued 1.7.9  and said it fixed range issue and whilst it did for some it didn't for a lot .When we report it we get told by lots that we upgraded wrong when we didn't  and they still don't believe us. This was the same before 1.6.8 was issued and that proved to be a problem that took DJI months to admit.
2016-12-30
Use props
bsett
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-25 19:36
Sorry you are having difficulties, did you delete/re0install the app.
If the update failed then possibly there was an interruption in your WiFi data transfer downloading the firmware from the internet.
If you delete the app and re-install, then the app will ask for the update again.

Just to clarify. Are you saying that if a firmware upgrade should get corrupted that if you re-install the go app and with a good Wi-Fi you can then get a successful firmware upgrade without having to do the bin SD card file transfer mentioned above?   
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

bsett Posted at 2016-12-30 19:25
Just to clarify. Are you saying that if a firmware upgrade should get corrupted that if you re-install the go app and with a good Wi-Fi you can then get a successful firmware upgrade without having to do the bin SD card file transfer mentioned above?

That's correct for the P4, if you have a P3 then the firmware updates are done via the SD card (except the Standard as that's done through the app.
2016-12-30
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Rick,

Your commentary was very interesting since I have been there and done that, as you have.  I have lived the life.  I am old.  However.?!?.

This is new technology.  This is the world of tomorrow.  If a company takes a year to figure out and present how to work its totally new technology to a disoriented world, another company will have taken over the market.  This is all human factor now.  Humans are slow.  We are not computers - at least so far.

You make some great arguments!  I would like to have a few beers with you - just to get started.  But, by the time we are done with our conversation, the market has already changed.  

It is the conversation between users that will predominate the understanding of new technology in our future.  Those who have figured out what the creator of the technology dreamed of will be the communicators.  Ten years ago, two thousand pages of information was generated each day on network systems alone.  Although that figure was all inclusive and redundant, it is still staggering.  Who actually read that information to figure out what alone was just redundant?

The bottom line is that the fluid nature of this Forum and the expertise available by the many experienced members - like you, for example, - are what will make the future of Phantom Flight successful.  Any one who thinks that they can figure out how it all works alone is doomed.  They will eventually be very happy when it all works as designed, but when they realize that they are six months to a year behind the times (because it took so long to figure it all out), they will be confronted with a reality check.

You can have quality control out the yin/yang each time you use the technology, but that will never be enough anymore.  We are all De Facto beta testers just like any other product used in the world today, and many thousand yesterdays, like our cars, computers and televisions, etc.  If you do not want to test our technology, there are Amish and Mennonite communities that are in need of new members, usually in Pennsylvania.  

The numbers you quote are from a failing market, the old world.  There will always be vacuum cleaners that work as designed and even cars, but what about the headset that monitors your health, spending habits, travels, activity, specific location, current temperature, humidity, level of alertness, body odor, social caveats, and social needs, etc.  Who will make them work?  The users!  We are taking the first steps with this new technology, today - and in the air no less!  

The newby has a responsibility to attempt to understand the technology before getting involved with the technology.  The best, free and easiest way for a newby to do this is through the Forum.  Of course there will be people who deny all this and put their intellectual position ahead of the curve.  That is fine, but what of the rest of us?  We are not computers that can be just programmed for future systems.  We need conversation to redirect our behaviors and understanding of the technology at each stage of development.

This Forum is not a punching bag for DJI user failures.  It is a means for DJI product users to better understand their purchased products and solve any problems they encounter.  In this process, we develop a community of users who are very happy to share their knowledge and experiences with newbies to help them solve their problems.  You are welcome to be such a member.

If you are a newbie and you have not tried to understand or converse on the issues of your contention on this Forum and suffered the consequences as a result, do not come here to complain.  Go somewhere else where uninformed people will understand your failure to understand the basics of Phantom Flight.

We like our DJI products in design and we like to fly them and use the visual technology available to us as a result.  Either work with us to solve your problem or block yourself out of this Forum.  It is simply, as you put it, your choice.  Blame does not belong on this forum.  We are fully accountable for our actions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-31
Use props
skyspy
New

United States

hi all new user here and i cant get the p3 standard motors to move    first unit  did not work out of the box  did the chat with tech support  to no avail  they said exchange it for a new one  went to best buy and got the exchange... now the second unit is also NOT WORKING out of the box.  but the camera works  the firmware is updated and the camera moves.. i get all the stuff that shows up with the app did the imu calibration   i did get it to do the auto take off (no props on)   but cant get the RC to give commands to the motors  it shows linked  but nothing happens     ready to give up   any ideas!!!!! thanks
2016-12-31
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
United Kingdom

skyspy Posted at 2016-12-31 08:36
hi all new user here and i cant get the p3 standard motors to move    first unit  did not work out of the box  did the chat with tech support  to no avail  they said exchange it for a new one  went to best buy and got the exchange... now the second unit is also NOT WORKING out of the box.  but the camera works  the firmware is updated and the camera moves.. i get all the stuff that shows up with the app did the imu calibration   i did get it to do the auto take off (no props on)   but cant get the RC to give commands to the motors  it shows linked  but nothing happens     ready to give up   any ideas!!!!! thanks

So you'd started the motors from the app and then no stick input? A newbie mistake is not understanding how to start the motors with a 'CSC". With everything powered on move LH stick to about 4 o'clock position and RH stick to about 8 o'clock position at the same time (I made that newbie mistake)
2016-12-31
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Betamace Posted at 2016-12-25 10:57
Yes, the noobies are so eager to update right off the bat when they have not even flown their new drone enough to recognize issues. Now they are here wining on day one when they just could have taken baby steps and get to know the drone. The P3 is guaranteed ready to fly right out of the box. I've never heard of a DOA because of broken hardware or firmware.
Just my 2 cents.

But when there's a problem the very first thing out of DJI's mouth and most of the "believers" in here is "are you using the latest updates." One should find absolutely no fault in a new owner wanting to have the "latest" and "best" firmware for their new purchase. After all that practice has been preached in here redundantly.

I, myself, refuse to update any of my Phantoms due to DJI's dishonesty as to what's in the updates and I removed DJI Go and strictly use Litchi.
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules