Phantom 4 suddenly detected as a Phantom 3 Pro by remote / DJI Go?
3331 22 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirk.de.smet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263583 ft
Belgium

Long story short:Yesterday I could fly with my Phantom 4 without any issues, everything working fine as aspected.
Today, I suddenly noticed an in-app warning stating that the 64GB SD card I've been using for months seems to be corrupt.
At this point I can still fly, but I am unable to use the camera. Every time I remove the SD card, the live video stream returns back to normal.

More details I discovered later on:

I continue flying without SD card, as I don't have any spare memory chips laying around at that moment. After emptying my first battery, I decided to try out my newly bought (official) battery.
So, I turned off the aircraft, the remote control and the DJI Go app, swapped batteries and prepared everything to make another flight with a fresh, fully charged battery.

The first anomaly I notice: when connecting the DJI Go app with the remote control, it now detects my aircraft as a Phantom 3 Pro.
Strange - I thought - and I ignored it, thinking it was just a temporary glitch. But as soon as the dashboard is loaded I notice the second anomaly: a black screen instead of the live camera footage.

As with all strang behaving devices, I do what probably most of us would do: restart everything.
The drone, the RC, my Android tablet, the DJI Go app, ... all got rebooted and reconnected, but the issue remains the same.

My Phantom 4 has an identity crisis thinking it is a Phantrom 3 Pro and there is no more live camera footage.

Conclusion:

I think it might be a chain reaction because the RC or DJI Go app detect my drone as an older model; thereby the app probably uses an older method to receive the camera footage which is incompatible with the P4's hardware resulting in a black screen.

Further investigation:

Today I tried everything I could imagine in order to get my P4's camera working again:

• I used my Android phone instead of my tablet
  • I cleared the cache of the DJI Go app on both mobile devices
  • I tried the latest version of the GO app, I even tested 4 older versions of the app
  • I used another USB cable (maybe the original one was defective)
  • I tried 3 different, fully charged batteries for the drone and charged the battery of the remote
  • I tested 2 different micro SD cards, I re-formatted the original 16 GB SD card that came with the Phantom
  • I tried 4 different firmware versions on the remote control
  • I tried to upgrade the firmware of the drone via the DJI Go app on my tablet, phone and even with DJI Assistent 2 on my computer with multiple USB cables.

All my attempts failed, but while doing all that, I discovered some extra anomalies.
I am unable to upgrade my drone's firmware, no matter which method I use: all fail, every time. In case of the in-app upgrade:

• the usual upgrade method:
    Screenshot_20170204-152711.png Screenshot_20170204-152716.png Screenshot_20170204-152718.png
  • the "less known" upgrade method:
    Screenshot_20170204-165825.png Screenshot_20170204-152403.png Screenshot_20170204-152349.png
  • The computer method:
    2017-02-04 16_38_43-DJI Assistant 2.png 2017-02-04 16_40_18-DJI Assistant 2.png 2017-02-04 16_40_33-DJI Assistant 2.png

I also noticed that micro SD cards are not detected anymore:
Screenshot_20170204-165639.png

And also no matter which version version of DJI Go app I tried, none of the detects the firmware version of my Phantom 4:
Screenshot_20170204-165739.png

So... I'm left here with a "blind" aircraft at the moment:
Screenshot_20170204-165710.png

Does anyone know whats going on here, or does someone know how I can solve this issue?
I'm quite certain this is going to be a software related issue...

I miss my favorite aircrafts vision.

Thanks in advance!
2017-2-4
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Any clue might help..here's my P4 start up glitch.....
After unpacking P4, I started all that boot up stuff. ( excuse  the highly technical terminology.) I was having trouble getting the drone to do its thing.
So I use another USB cable. ( got that one on the forum ) and that didn't work.  So.....what to do...I holler for my wife.{:4_173:}
She comes in and wiggles the micro USB plug at the point where it plugs into the drone.{:4_177:}
Now it works fine and I'm ready to fly   Gotta love that wife.
I think, I don't remember since the last update or even if I have had to update again but that
Micro USB hardware in the drone probably isn't of the highest of standards.
I hope others here can add even better clues to solve your mystery.
I'm not a thechie, but that's what happened to me.
                                                               Good Luck  
2017-2-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I think I had the same thing once.

Flew for 5 minutes with everything working properly, landed and powered off the Phantom 4, left the controller and tablet on while I walked about 300m away, then powered the aircraft back on and tried to take off.
At this point the Go app connected as a Phantom 3 and I had a black video display.  Reset everything in various orders and ways including removing the battery and powering off the tablet and controller all at once but it was still a Phantom 3.

I don't think you should upgrade firmware while it is a P3, you might get P3 firmware loaded on it, the controller and the battery!

I had 15 minutes of battery left so I flew it as a P3 with no video, had some fun practicing using atti mode, then after about 5 minutes I looked down at the tablet screen and it had become a Phantom 4 once again, so I went back to filming!

I also had a problem with the memory card at the same time, had to remove it and re-insert it before I could record, can't remember if that was immediately before or immediately after the other problem.
2017-2-4
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Did you have an SD card loaded when attempting the upgrade/downgrade?
2017-2-4
Use props
Dirk.de.smet
lvl.1
Belgium

Odan Posted at 2017-2-4 10:53
Any clue might help..here's my P4 start up glitch.....
After unpacking P4, I started all that boot up stuff. ( excuse  the highly technical terminology.) I was having trouble getting the drone to do its thing.
So I use another USB cable. ( got that one on the forum ) and that didn't work.  So.....what to do...I holler for my wife.

Well, if I connect the drone directly to my computer with a USB cable it is recognized immediately as a Phantom 4 by DJI Assistent 2.

So I think the USB part of the hardware is alright.
2017-2-5
Use props
Dirk.de.smet
lvl.1
Belgium

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-2-4 21:50
Did you have an SD card loaded when attempting the upgrade/downgrade?

Yes and no: I tested both in all situations. (With and without SD card)

And... by now I can't use the faulty micro SD card anymore. It "physically died" in my pocket shortly after putting it away while flying without it. It broke right in half.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are you flying with the Go 4 app?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Dirk.de.smet
lvl.1
Belgium

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-2-4 11:02
I think I had the same thing once.

Flew for 5 minutes with everything working properly, landed and powered off the Phantom 4, left the controller and tablet on while I walked about 300m away, then powered the aircraft back on and tried to take off.

If the weather stays alright here in Belgium, I'm going to try what you did Nigel, hopefully with the exact same result.

Although flying without vision cuts off a lot of the fun. It must be something like flying in the mist, I think.
2017-2-5
Use props
Dirk.de.smet
lvl.1
Belgium

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 02:11
Are you flying with the Go 4 app?

No, most of the times I fly with the "old" default DJI Go app.
But indeed: I also tried Go 4 for the first time the same day when the problem started and yesterday I also tried to regain vision with Litchi - without results.
2017-2-5
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Dirk.de.smet@gm Posted at 2017-2-5 02:27
But indeed: I also tried Go 4 for the first time the same day when the problem started and yesterday I also tried to regain vision with Litchi - without results.

Hi, you probably have tried already but have you deleted the app(s) go and 4 completely of your tablet? then reinstall only 'one' of them? preferably go4.
For a beginner you have done very well in operating this forum with upload shots and also a good explanation of your diagnosis and tests you have carried out. So hats of to you!
2017-2-5
Use props
DirkDS
lvl.1
Belgium

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-5 03:04
Hi, you probably have tried already but have you deleted the app(s) go and 4 completely of your tablet? then reinstall only 'one' of them? preferably go4.
For a beginner you have done very well in operating this forum with upload shots and also a good explanation of your diagnosis and tests you have carried out. So hats of to you!

Haha, thanks - it must have something to do with my tech support history; I've seen "the other side" of a helpdesk. I can assure you it can be a tough job. Many customers seem to forget they're not the only one with problems and they mostly forget to provide sufficient details...

But to answer your question: no, I didn't try that yet since the Go 4 app also "thinks" it is connected to a Phantom 3 Pro which it doesn't support.

So I just gave it a shot. I removed all my drone apps, installed only DJI Go 4 and connected it to my Phantom 4; this is the result: Screenshot_20170205-134626.png

2017-2-5
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Dirk.de.smet@gm Posted at 2017-2-5 02:17
If the weather stays alright here in Belgium, I'm going to try what you did Nigel, hopefully with the exact same result.

Although flying without vision cuts off a lot of the fun. It must be something like flying in the mist, I think.

Actually it was quite good fun to forget about the video/photos and just fly the aircraft while watching it, I don't often practice using atti mode so that was good too.   I wouldn't have been so happy if it hadn't recovered though.

That was before Go 4 and I haven't had an issue since switching to Go 4.   

I didn't think Go 4 supported the Phantom 3?
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Dirk.de.smet@gm Posted at 2017-2-5 02:27

Really intrigued but mystified here. Hope you can get this figured out.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
DirkDS
lvl.1
Belgium

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-2-5 09:53
Actually it was quite good fun to forget about the video/photos and just fly the aircraft while watching it, I don't often practice using atti mode so that was good too.   I wouldn't have been so happy if it hadn't recovered though.

That was before Go 4 and I haven't had an issue since switching to Go 4.   

Yes, that's right: Go 4 doesn't support the P3, and since it detects my Phantom as a 3 Pro, it doesn't support it. (That's what the screenshot mentions; "Current DJI Device: phantom 3 professional")

I guess that's the reason why I don't have access to te camera.

2017-2-5
Use props
Chadrob30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220459 ft
United States

I have had this happen as well. I don't know what I did to remedy it, but it hasn't happened in a long time. I turn on the controller, then the bird, then plug the USB cable into the RC, then finally the USB into the bird.
2017-2-6
Use props
DirkDS
lvl.1
Belgium

Chadrob30 Posted at 2017-2-6 13:20
I have had this happen as well. I don't know what I did to remedy it, but it hasn't happened in a long time. I turn on the controller, then the bird, then plug the USB cable into the RC, then finally the USB into the bird.

What exactly do you mean Chadrob30?
Connecting the RC with the P4 in order to upgrade the drone's firmware?

I mean: you turned on the RC and the drone first and then connected both the RC and the drone together with a USB cable to do what? I'll try to reproduce it anyway - I'd try anything to get it working again.
2017-2-6
Use props
Chadrob30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220459 ft
United States

DirkDS Posted at 2017-2-6 16:14
What exactly do you mean Chadrob30?
Connecting the RC with the P4 in order to upgrade the drone's firmware?

I was replying to the title of your thread. My P4 is read as a P3A or sometimes a P3P. Once I got the correct order of turning on and connecting the devices I have had no issues.
2017-2-8
Use props
DirkDS
lvl.1
Belgium

In case someone else experiences the same problem as I described above; I eventually ended up sending my Phantom 4  to DJI technical services.
They investigated the machine and decided to return me a replacement model.

My drone returned 2 weeks after sending it to the DJI repair service, but the good news is I didn't have to pay for it because all was covered under waranty.
2017-2-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DirkDS Posted at 2017-2-28 00:07
In case someone else experiences the same problem as I described above; I eventually ended up sending my Phantom 4  to DJI technical services.
They investigated the machine and decided to return me a replacement model.

That's good news, all now working as expected ?

I've read in the past issues in upgrading where bad wifi connects or even PC firewalls have affected the outcome.
2017-2-28
Use props
DirkDS
lvl.1
Belgium

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-28 05:08
That's good news, all now working as expected ?

I've read in the past issues in upgrading where bad wifi connects or even PC firewalls have affected the outcome.

I had my very first short test flight this morning, the replacement drone flew like it should - at least, I think it did: it was a bit hard to judge with the stormy weather of today.
2017-3-5
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Well for some reason mine started showing up in Go4 as the P3 Professional but everything still works fine. It first started doing this after I upgraded to the new GO4 app.
2017-3-5
Use props
Rudders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5203832 ft
Jersey

Hey guys...so many posts regarding updating issues with firmware version 01.02.0602.

I will add my current list of things that make this product unfit for purpose:

Before I start my rant, just to confirm I have read numerous other posts regarding USB cards, Samsung Galaxy TAB S2, setting the aircraft back to factory settings, dodgy USB cables etc. All have been tested, re-tested time after time...to the conclusion as follows:

P4 Firmware version 01.02.0602 (or is it??????)
RC Firmware 1.8.0
App Version 4.0.3 (Go4)

Ok, what happened.

1. About 5 or 6 weeks ago, Firmware upgrade to version 01.02.0602, appeared to stall part way through, left it to finish, battery then flashed the centre two lights (updating battery firmware), that battery has been dodgy ever since.
It shows "Battery damaged" shortly after take off, and no longer displays battery info. If landed and rebooted sometimes its ok again, but cannot be trusted. I have two other batteries all of which came in a kit on Christmas eve so just 2 months old. Those other batteries are so far absolutely fine. Had a couple of minor glitches but otherwise has been flown 4 to 6 times a week for a good 5 weeks.

2. Recently a prompt showing firmware update popped up, let it do it's usual update and then getting a disconnect intermittently ever since.
On boot up currently the P4 takes about 5 to 10 mins to finish several fan spin ups with the SD/Connection light flashing either green or "red red, green green"
The Go 4 app will show that my quad is a P3 Pro until the final fan spin up which then runs constantly, and if it actually finishes the SD/Connection light turns constant green. (doesn't always finish and needs a couple more power cycles)
If I then restart Go4 it will connect, not always and doesn't always give the video signal. If I don't use my tab or phone and just the RC to connect and try a basic flight, it will not connect to the RC unless the SD/Conn light has turned constant green. And with the P4 doing this fan spin up and down for 5 to 10 mins that indicates to me a FIRMWARE issue.

3. Intermittantly I get "No SD Card" error, "Latest Firmware Abnormal" and "Aircraft Encoder Error (0x800020)"

4. After loads of testing over this weekend, I have discounted SD cards as an issue by using several different cards including one from a fully functional P4.
I have also confirmed EXACTLY the same errors appeared when using a Samsung TAB S2 8 (Noting other posts stating could be a usb com port issue requiring a setting tweak in developer mode, tried all that rubbish), well, as I said, EXACTLY the same issues on my LG G5, and a pals Ipad Mini 4 that he uses with his P4

5. Today I tried recalibrating the IMU's, on finishing and resulting reboot, the Go4 app connected very quickly so something happened to the positive, then a prompt appeared that firmware was not consistent and the little slider button appeared, I slid it to the right to accept and the blue flashing banner to the left showed "Updating Phantom 4 01.02.0602"....well hang on a minute that's what it already is!!!???.......so let that finish, and restarted, all good and fully functional...........until the next restart.

6. Now it wants to do the firmware update again, and will not connect...so exactly the same.

7. Have already "restored to factory defaults" using the Assistant 2", and also note there is no longer an option to roll back to a previous firmware version, the only one listed is "..0602"

So currently have a "bricked" P4 and 1 out of 3 batteries in an unstrustworthy condition.

My thoughts from an IT perspective is that either there is some dodgy code in the firmware, or my quad and maybe others out there have a fried or otherwise compromised firmware chip.

A couple of weeks back I was flying a rescue mission within 3 meters forward and behind in a reveen 60 meters below take off point off a cliff and over the sea.......this weekend it wont even get out of the house!!!

On chatting to online support, as soon as I mentioned the "Aircraft Encoder Error (0x800020)" it was "send it back". So have lodged an RMA return but not got any further than that yet.
2017-3-6
Use props
nathanvignola
New
United States

I have the problem that the samsung note will not connect, first manifest as not recognizing P4, but as P3 pro.
uninstalled the flight software from the samsung note and reinstalled, no dice.
Plugged the controller into my droid turbo 2 phone, worked right away.
plugged in the note, now it's working.
go figure.
2017-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules