1556 26 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

The other day I took out my mavic (about 10 flights in now).  I was lining up a shot when I noticed the gimbal went a bit crazy, it was stuck left, and sorta upside down for a bit, nothing I could do on the controller/app would seem to fix this.  I brought it back to me since it was in VLOS and during that process it went back to normal and all operations started to work again.

Has anyone exprienced this before?

I wish I had recorded it but I deff will do next time it happens.
2017-2-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nope never happened. Did you get any warnings on the screen? Was it windy? Where you in sport mode?
2017-2-28
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-28 18:05
Nope never happened. Did you get any warnings on the screen? Was it windy? Where you in sport mode?

Nope no warnings, not windy and in normal flight mode.
2017-2-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-2-28 18:12
Nope no warnings, not windy and in normal flight mode.

Did you check your flight log? You can download them to healthydornes.com and post the link here so we can take a look at it.

Good idea to keep video on for near future in case it happened again!
2017-2-28
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-28 18:16
Did you check your flight log? You can download them to healthydornes.com and post the link here so we can take a look at it.

Good idea to keep video on for near future in case it happened again!

Good idea.. Ill check that out when I get time this weekend.
2017-2-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-2-28 18:17
Good idea.. Ill check that out when I get time this weekend.

Keep us posted!
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current firmware version?
Is the firmware up to date?
Please try to do the IMU calibration on a complete flat surface then do the gimbal calibration.
Test more and please let us know the update.
2017-2-28
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-2-28 19:12
Could you please clarify your current firmware version?
Is the firmware up to date?
Please try to do the IMU calibration on a complete flat surface then do the gimbal calibration.

Mindy, yea im up to the latest firmware.  I will do the following and will be filming again this weekend.  I might take my flight log and upload it to healthy drones to see if it spots anything weird as well.
2017-3-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've had this happen, one time, about a month ago. Hasn't happened since. I thought at the time a sharp maneuver I was doing caused the mavric to have a little brain fart?
2017-3-1
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I finally caught this in action.  Deff not something that I think is normal and no I wasn't moving the drone, I think it was actually in Tripod mode.

2017-3-9
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anyone else seeing this issue? I noticed on the FB group someone posted something similar.  I also forgot to mention after this process happens some camera settings are reset as well.
2017-3-13
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

Had the same situation yesterday. It was about 2km away. RC and HD bars were full. Suddenly it looked like something has hit the drone. It seemed to turn around  and falling off the sky.
Then - again, suddenly - everything was fine. It did no change the height or direction. I decided to return it to home. While coming back it wasnt able to focus. Once hit the button and founding the focus it dropped back to the not focused state. Pretty strange.
Once it was about 20m away the same happened again. What I saw on the ipad looked like a drone falling off the sky. The camera was turning in each direction, up&down, left&right and pretty fast. But I saw the drone it was hovering rock solid. Then it came back to normal condition except the focusing problem.
After landing I inspected the drone and the props very very very carefully but there was nothing, absoluteley nothing. No sign of contact with a bird or something else at all. I restarted and got it up in the air. Focusing was fine and no problem with the gimbal.

What the hell can cause the gimbal to behave like that?
2017-3-13
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Gateway Posted at 2017-3-13 11:16
Anyone else seeing this issue? I noticed on the FB group someone posted something similar.  I also forgot to mention after this process happens some camera settings are reset as well.

Yours look like calibration move at least the speed does. The speed of my gimbal was way higher. It looked like hit by something again and again and again.
2017-3-13
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-13 12:12
Yours look like calibration move at least the speed does. The speed of my gimbal was way higher. It looked like hit by something again and again and again.

Yea it does look like calibration, now why it decides to do it in mid air is the question... DJI?
2017-3-13
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Btw, my logs didn't show anything what could have cause that.
Yours?
2017-3-13
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Take a look at mine around 1:05. Had to return it for new one. My new one works great.

2017-3-13
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yea I think I may contact DJI about a repair.. I'm also having some what different issue dealing with washed out/water color video, and no its not a focus issue from the pilot
2017-3-13
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

BayArea99 Posted at 2017-3-13 15:23
Take a look at mine around 1:05. Had to return it for new one. My new one works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNfk9bWyS0&t=1s

Yep! Looks pretty similar to what I saw my gimbal doing.
2017-3-13
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-13 23:31
Yep! Looks pretty similar to what I saw my gimbal doing.

Did you send yours in or?  Im curious if these days they are just replacing the gimbal or sending people a brand new one..
2017-3-14
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Gateway Posted at 2017-3-14 09:49
Did you send yours in or?  Im curious if these days they are just replacing the gimbal or sending people a brand new one..

Mine was within first 14 day exchange period after receiving it so they gave me a NEW one.
2017-3-14
Use props
DRONE#JONES
lvl.1
Flight distance : 989455 ft
United States

I actually wrecked mine because of this.. i think it's a ribbon problem.

My ribbon was charred when I inspected it
2017-3-14
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

btw question to all having this issue.. Did you have an ND filter on by chance? Do you remember where you in some advance flight mode (tripod etc) ?
2017-3-14
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Gateway Posted at 2017-3-14 09:49

nope. I did not
2017-3-14
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Gateway Posted at 2017-3-14 10:27
btw question to all having this issue.. Did you have an ND filter on by chance? Do you remember where you in some advance flight mode (tripod etc) ?

Yes, I had a PolarPro filter on it. But also flew several times before having it installed and had no problem.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-14 10:55
Yes, I had a PolarPro filter on it. But also flew several times before having it installed and had no problem.

Leave the filter off for several flights to see if it still does it.
2017-3-14
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Germany

Hello Ken,

It worked fine with filters before and after that. It was just this one time.
2017-3-14
Use props
DRONE#JONES
lvl.1
Flight distance : 989455 ft
United States

I hope mine turns out okay. I won't have the funds for a repair. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

They can send me a new or used one. I'm hearing positive things about DJI lately. I'm not going to bug them either like ALOT of people do on here..{:4_157:}
2017-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules