12Next >
9611 74 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5bd09b36
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anyone know anything about a supposed firmware update for the p4 to give it tripod mode ect same as the p4pro and mavic??
2017-3-1
Use props
Jerophoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263622 ft
Switzerland

I heared something like it, but is it only a rumour, hopefully not!
2017-3-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans5bd,

Tripod uses the full suite of sensors, three of which the P4 does not have.  This may be a hardware issue that prevents the software from ever being used.

I really like Tripod, but I do not see any reason why DJI would assume the risk of such a system to provide that option for equipment that are vulnerable to damage due to a lack of hardware.  The really nice thing about Tripod is that the performance retardation that provides its steady operation is enabled with the press of a tab.  It is very easy to use.

An approximation of similar steady operation can be provided by performance retardation in the P3A, P3P and P4 if you make the correct settings adjustments.  These adjustments are less reliant on a sensor system than Tripod in order to fly safely.  The P3A, P3P and P4 also have setting set options available that can speed up the process of retarding the Phantom's performance but not a one step implementation like Tripod.

What could be hoped for is not Tripod, but a one step stabilization option that approximates the performance retardation of Tripod without the need for the full suite of sensors.  This would not be Tripod but more like a Tripod Wanna Be!  

Most Phantom operators have not investigated the performance options that DJI provides for the P3A, P3P and P4.  If an operator has not investigated these options carefully, then it is risky for DJI to provide an option that unites all the performance options into one with extreme stability and retardation where you can get into tight spaces like indoors.  Without a full suite of sensors, that operator has a much higher risk of crashing or injuring someone.

DJI is in the business of providing the most advanced quadcopters on the micro UAV market.  They are not in the business of fixing quadcopters that have crashed because of options that make it more prone to be operated in likely crash environments.  The more money DJI has to spend on repairing crashed Phantoms, the less money DJI can spend on developing the next revolution in micro UAV quadcopters.  

If you understand these principles, you will easily be able to understand why the P3A, P3P and P4 will not get Tripod but maybe something like a Tripod Wanna Be.  Until then, set up your Phantom to retard performance so it can operate more steady.  If you do not know how, read the manual and practice with the settings of your Phantom.  It will make you a more safe operator.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-2
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

What sensors does the P4 not have that, say, the Mavic does?
2017-3-2
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Peter, none. I suspect that the previous reference was in relation to the P4P (which additionally has rear visual sensors, and side infrared sensors). Let's just wait to see what the next firmware for the P4 brings...
2017-3-2
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

The mavic has the same or similar sensor suite to the P4 so no glaring reason why tripod should not be capable on the P4.
2017-3-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-2 02:14
Aloha fans5bd,

Tripod uses the full suite of sensors, three of which the P4 does not have.  This may be a hardware issue that prevents the software from ever being used.

Do you mean turning the speed n response from stick input to a minimum so it moves very slowly.
2017-3-2
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-2 02:14
Aloha fans5bd,

The latest beta firmware for the P4 has tripod mode.  

I'd be willing to bet that it will be available on the next firmware/go app release.
2017-3-2
Use props
fans5bd09b36
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have heard that it was in beta testing about a week or two ago
2017-3-2
Use props
fans5bd09b36
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And the mavic has the same sensor setup as the p4 so that should not be a problem
2017-3-2
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

The closest we have to 'information' http://phantom4-guide.co.uk/mavic-features-coming-phantom-4/
2017-3-2
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans5bd09b36 Posted at 2017-3-2 06:24
I have heard that it was in beta testing about a week or two ago

Beta testing actually concluded end January. It's been a month now, so I hope we see it with the issues resolved out soon.
2017-3-2
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Looking forward to that tripod mode, if it comes at all. Very handy feature for tight spaces, takeoff and landing.
2017-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-2 05:09
Do you mean turning the speed n response from stick input to a minimum so it moves very slowly.

Aloha mic,

Yes, slow everything down so large stick input gives small movement.  It retards movement.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-2 05:31
The latest beta firmware for the P4 has tripod mode.  

I'd be willing to bet that it will be available on the next firmware/go app release.

Aloha Rob,

That is interesting.  I wonder how it compares with the full hardware version on P4Ps and Mavics?  Mahalo for the update!  I will keep an eye out for the new versions.  Like I said, Tripod is a great option but going into close quarters can lead to trouble.  And the only one who wants to fix a Phantom less than DJI is you when it is your Phantom!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-2
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

AlecW Posted at 2017-3-2 15:57
It would be nice but you may want to reset RTH home point once your out of the tight space just in case.   I take off regularly from under a tree and have to do that.

Agree with that - RTH is a dangerous thing if you don't fully understand how it works! Has cost me a drone once ;)
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There is a new Go 4 app out this morning. It's not firmware, but can any P4 owners let me know if this has any effect on P4 capabilities?
2017-3-3
Use props
fans5bd09b36
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

4.04...nothing gor the p4 as far as i can see..seems they are concentrating on the mavic and p4pro nowadays
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Haven't tried it in the sky yet, but I can confirm that terrain follow and gesture mode are now showing as options on the P4 using the new app. Hopefully just stage 1
2017-3-3
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Canada

Tripod mode is working on the P4 now using DJI Go 4 v4.0.5
IMG_0173.JPG
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

WTF. I don't have all those options yet? Just terrain and gesture. What gives??   How exciting !!
2017-3-3
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Canada

that's bizarre just tested it around the office and it works like a charm on my iphone and ipad.
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-3 06:04
that's bizarre just tested it around the office and it works like a charm on my iphone and ipad.

Perhaps it is a staggered release. Maybe I need to reinstall app or power everything down and try again. Will wait to see what others report. At the moment, I have two new features. Your image is showing draw too. Anything else on the next page?
2017-3-3
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Canada

Terrain Follow, Point of Interest, Follow Me Mode, Waypoints, Homelock, and Course Lock
2017-3-3
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I just updated my iPad Pro and iPhone 7 Plus to the latest app version (4.0.5)    I have no tripod mode on either of them. Strange
devices.jpg
2017-3-3
Use props
jwt-873
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Oh darn..   I had the phone on DJI Go rather than DJI Go4.   (Haven't updated the phone to that version yet).

Edit..  Phone now at 4.0.5.   Still not there.
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Very strange. Anyone else care to chip in on their experience?
2017-3-3
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Canada

what version of the ac firmware are you running?
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-3 08:22
what version of the ac firmware are you running?

1.2.602   [here are some extra words to comply with minimum characters for a post]
2017-3-3
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Canada

that may be it!

my ac version is 02.00.0012
edit... forgot I have the January beta firmware on this drone.  Just tried on another with the latest production firmware tripod mode isn't there...  A new firmware update for the P4 is likely coming soon.
2017-3-3
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Haha. There goes the NDA.
2017-3-3
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-3 08:27
that may be it!

my ac version is 02.00.0012

I was a beta tester too, still running firmware version 02.00.0012 and I have the following flight modes Normal, Draw, Gesture, ActiveTrack, TapFly, Tripod, Terrain Follow, Point of Interest, Follow Me Mode, Waypoints, Home Lock and Course Lock.  I think this explians the differences.  There most likely is a firmware update coming soon.

Jim
Burbank, CA
2017-3-3
Use props
SKYHIGHP4
New
United States

@JIM AND ROB HAVE YOU GUYS TESTED THE DIFFERENT FLIGHT MODES AND IF SO HOW DID YOU LIKE AND WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ON THEM.
2017-3-3
Use props
fans5bd09b36
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tripod is the one im after most
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2017-3-2 02:41
What sensors does the P4 not have that, say, the Mavic does?

Aloha Peter,

The Mavic has 5 sensors.  Front and back, both sides and bottom.  The P4 has front and bottom.  The Mavic and P4 Pro have the same sensor suites.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-2 03:39
Peter, none. I suspect that the previous reference was in relation to the P4P (which additionally has rear visual sensors, and side infrared sensors). Let's just wait to see what the next firmware for the P4 brings...

Aloha Punchbuggy,

Sorry for the repeat.  The Mavic has 5 sensors.  Front and back, both sides and bottom.  The P4 has front and bottom.  The Mavic and P4 Pro have the same sensor suites.  That is why they both come with Tripod.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-3-2 04:03
The mavic has the same or similar sensor suite to the P4 so no glaring reason why tripod should not be capable on the P4.

Aloha joe,

See my response to Peter and Punchbuggy above.  Also image below.

Aloha and Drone On!
Mavic Sensors.jpg
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans5bd09b36 Posted at 2017-3-2 06:30
And the mavic has the same sensor setup as the p4 so that should not be a problem

Aloha fans5b,

As much as I was wrong, in some ways I am not wrong.  I have the P4, so I will be testing Tripod on it to see if it is a Tripod Wanna Be.  The P4 only has two sensors, front and down.  The Mavic and P4 Pro have 5 sensors.

Aloha and Drone On!
Mavic Sensors.jpg
2017-3-3
Use props
fans5bd09b36
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No side and rear sensors on the mavic...only front and down same as p4....only the p4pro has side and rear
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-3-2 08:44
The closest we have to 'information' http://phantom4-guide.co.uk/mavic-features-coming-phantom-4/

Aloha SomeoneElse,

Good blog entry, wish I had seen it before I put my neck out!  Mahalo.  But at least you know why it did not come with the option suite.  I have a P4 I am selling, so I will be testing to see how close the two Tripods are.  Tripod of any capability will be a good selling point.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules