GPS Tracker for Australia
3051 23 2015-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36949 ft
Australia

What is the most trusted GPS tracker to be used in Australia? I would like to buy it for my Phantom 2.
2015-2-23
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to trackers. There isn't just one that is the best (unfortunately). You can find the most commonly used trackers here:

http://www.PhantomHelp.com#Trackers
2015-2-23
Use props
Observer
lvl.1

Australia

I don't think the previous post has given much thought that you are in Australia. You may like me have to search locally to make sure you get something that is legal and works in Australia.
2015-2-23
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

Observer, what's so different about GPS trackers in Australia?
2015-2-23
Use props
Observer
lvl.1

Australia

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-2-24 10:54
Observer, what's so different about GPS trackers in Australia?

They for one have to be approved for use and two not all work in Australia.
2015-2-23
Use props
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Australia

I heard Flytrex doesnt work here in The Land Down Under
2015-2-23
Use props
Observer
lvl.1

Australia

deepeshdotcom Posted at 2015-2-24 13:05

Yes there are a few. I started looking but soon realised that it was too confusing and better to look locally to be sure. When I find one locally I will then see if it is available overseas. Having said that I am a great believer in shopping local as much as possible but there are exceptions.
2015-2-23
Use props
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Australia

Observer Posted at 2015-2-24 13:13
Yes there are a few. I started looking but soon realised that it was too confusing and better to l ...

please let me know if you find any good one
2015-2-23
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

This one should work if you don't plan on flying further than 2 miles away -- since it does not require cell service:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=B3BIKXAB5XHAIXTL
2015-2-23
Use props
Observer
lvl.1

Australia

PhantomHelp Posted at 2015-2-24 13:15
This one should work if you don't plan on flying further than 2 miles away -- since it does not requ ...

will have to check back on my emails but I think they emailed me back to say it did not have approval in Australia. Will get back on this one.
2015-2-23
Use props
trailtec
lvl.2

Australia

Observer Posted at 2015-2-24 13:18
will have to check back on my emails but I think they emailed me back to say it did not have appro ...

It's got a range of a couple of miles so really, who cares about approval?
2015-2-23
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

deepeshdotcom Posted at 2015-2-24 13:05

Works well for me, I have the flytrex live 3g running on a optus sim.

No issues so far.
2015-2-26
Use props
trailtec
lvl.2

Australia

The cheapest SIMs I have found are from Amaysim. I have used several for both trackers and in alarm systems. They have very flexible data and phone pre pay plans with 90 day usage instead of the usual 30 days. They use the Optus network.

Good to see the inverted penguin back!
2015-2-26
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

Yug Posted at 2015-2-26 19:22
Where did you buy it?
Do you use your phone sim or did you buy another?
What sort of plan is the s ...

I brought it direct from Flytrex (local costs are a little pricey) with the Canbus adapter.

As I am on a postpaid plan, I went to Optus and got a data share micro sim (one off cost of $5).

So i just share my data from my phone and it all works well. This saves me having to have another account with another provider.
2015-2-26
Use props
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Australia

Where did you guys bought your flytrex?
2015-2-26
Use props
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Australia

Yug Posted at 2015-2-27 10:48
I haven't yet but probably as one of the others have I will buy direct from Flytrex.

Regards

Have you considered any other brands?
2015-2-26
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is also an RC version of the Marco Polo. It's only 12 grams.

http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery
2015-2-26
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, yug.  and what else i like about it is that i dont need cell service to use it.  seems like many of us shoot in remote locations (and with the way of the world, we've even all joked that before long we'll be flying in the middle of nowhere due to morons) and in those remote locations there is a much larger chance of not having cell coverage.  that is what has mostly kept me on the fence.  the rc marco and the flytrex are my two frontrunners right now.  still undecided tho.  and now that my rotorpixel is on my p2v, the gimbal now occupies the area under the battery so im afraid that flytrex isnt going to fit somewhere easily so im still sitting in decision mode.  
2015-2-26
Use props
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Australia

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-27 11:36
yes, yug.  and what else i like about it is that i dont need cell service to use it.  seems like man ...

RC Marco only ships to US and Canada.

I would also want something without the sim card.

My problem would be installing it as I already have gimbal, IOSD Mini, Gimbal anti interference board, Immersion tx underneath my phantom 2 and thinking of adding ground station.
2015-2-26
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yug, i would be happy to receive your package and forward it to you.  no fee, ill even pitch in on your shipping bro
2015-2-26
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

no problem just lemme know, would be happy to help.  hope you find something that will work.
2015-2-26
Use props
deepeshdotcom
lvl.2
Australia

Cant we use ipad ground station to find the p2?
2015-2-26
Use props
trailtec
lvl.2

Australia

Yug Posted at 2015-2-27 12:14
I remember seeing something on TV about this problem. There is somebody or sombodies that you can  ...

Aust Post have such a service or I can arrange that for you, I get stuff shipped from CONUS every 14days or so.

I'm going Marco Polo route myself simply because half the time I'm not flying in cell coverage. I figgure a 2 mile radius give syou quite reasonable odds of finding it especially since I know people with light aircraft that I can use to search from if needs be. With MP you have a couple of months (ten days for the lighter R/C version) before the transponder goes dark. Not bad for a few grams of tech!

Import will be fine, they have better things to worry about (trust me on this) and given the limited transmit power I doubt it isn't legal anyway. Even if it is someone would need to be within a couple of miles of your downed bird (it only transmits a "polo" when it recieves a "marco" signal from the handset device) to have any chance of being effected. The frequency involved is not used for anything of life thretening importance in OZ.
2015-2-27
Use props
Allen2897
New

China

we have 3g vehicle gps tracker now,would you like to take sample for testing?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-d ... 7724838.35.1.NdKmL4
2015-10-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules