Crash Broken Motor Arm Replacement.
15476 38 2015-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jarbot.usmc
New

United States

So any idea how to order replacement parts?

I clipped a prop in flight and it cause the entire motor arm to break just in front of the "T" junction,... Is this a part I could simply 3d print or should I order a new from dji and how?

2015-2-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

My understanding is replacement parts will be available but at this point still are not on the market.

Hopefully they will be soon.
2015-3-1
Use props
larsmunters
lvl.1

Sweden

It happened to me the other day, I have to send it in to the DJI to get arm replaced.
I was flying and Filming outside a warehouse, when I flew through the doors at the store I got a "low battery alarm",
then suddenly RTH took over and my Inspire 1 starts to go home, it start automatic ”goto fail safe altitude” and flew straight into the ceiling.
2015-3-1
Use props
RickRoberts01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191575 ft
United States

I damaged an arm, hit a tree branch, when the Inspire hit the ground it landed on the front right gear breaking the carbon fiber arm.  I was surprised it broke so easily. Sent to DJI , $322.00 to repair & return.
2015-3-1
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

"I got a "low battery alarm", then suddenly RTH took over and my Inspire 1 starts to go home, it start automatic ”go to fail safe altitude” and flew straight into the ceiling."

That sounds like a failure in the system, right? Send to DJI they can examine the logs i would assume and this should be covered under warranty?

I had a paid repair worse damage than what you are describing for $440, Its reasonable.

I am more concerned about you possibly finding a bug in the Inspire using RTH as soon as you got a warning.

What battery % level was your warning set to?

2015-3-1
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

Even if you lower the limits to the minimum 10%, there is still plenty of time to bring it home. The display also shows you how much flying time you have left, with a couple of visible markers, and it is very repeatable.
2015-3-1
Use props
benjaminsink
lvl.2

United States

lars, this similar situation happened to me about a week ago. My inspire will arrive at DJI tomorrow for repair. I posted a video on another topic of what happened to me. My RTH function timed out by itself then acted strangely. I suffered two carbon fiber arms broken along with damage to the gimbal and ribbon cables to camera.

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/GiuqSlK_EL4
2015-3-2
Use props
onthewave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84833475 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-1 16:44
My understanding is replacement parts will be available but at this point still are not on the marke ...

DIY...Easiest and strongest repair is to get some 2 x 2 weave carbon fiber and  EPOXY resin kits which bond carbon fiber. DO NOT USE POLYESTER RESIN.
My Inspires motor arm was 50% severed so I could at least brace it level for applying the fix. There are several carbon fiber Bicycle frame patch kits that run anywhere from 40.00-75.00. I just finished the repair on mine after two 10 minute wrapping and resin sessions 1 day apart and it's stronger than the original arm ! I filmed the process and will post soon. In the meantime here's a good video that explains the repair procedure. Watch it here:

Also new Carbon Fiber repair kits for 40.00 tailored for Drones and bikes from cruzingbeast@gmail.com called
CARBON FIBER RAPS. Kit has everything you need including Carbon fiber that won't fall apart as your applying it! Cool stuff!

The crash crack

The crash crack

Clean and apply Carbon Fiber

Clean and apply Carbon Fiber

Apply resin to arm, then to CF then wrap around arm

Apply resin to arm, then to CF then wrap around arm

Cover with saran wrap followed by electrical tape. Let cure overnite and repeat.

Cover with saran wrap  followed by electrical tape. Let cure overnite and repeat.

Time to sand 2 layers of Carbon Fiber down

Time to sand 2 layers of Carbon Fiber down
2015-3-30
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

Australia

onthewave@me.co Posted at 2015-3-31 14:39
DIY...Easiest and strongest repair is to get some 2 x 2 weave carbon fiber and  EPOXY resin kits wh ...

This is great, the only problem I see in doing this is that by adding another piece of carbon fiber to one side of the leg, you are causing an imbalance of weight therefore stressing the copter on one side rather than having everything balanced. After doing this procedure I would recommend to find a way to see if the Inspire is balanced, if not add more of those carbon fiber pieces in areas that need to balance out
2015-4-6
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

It happened to me the other day, I have to send it in to the DJI to get arm replaced.
I was flying and Filming outside a warehouse, when I flew through the doors at the store I got a "low battery alarm",
then suddenly RTH took over and my Inspire 1 starts to go home, it start automatic ”goto fail safe altitude”

This just happened to me today. I was expecting a low battery warning any minute and instead I got the RTH warning and the inspire started to climb to safe altitude. I stopped it and tried to fly it back to me as it was only about 30 yards away. It only seemed to respond to vertical inputs and flew into the side of a hill. ND filter broke, gimbal mount broke, gimbal arm is jammed somehow and won't rotate as it should.

This is about my 50th flight with the inspire and it has performed perfectly every other time. Not sure what happened. Any info you guys get would be appreciated. I'll start the contact and repair process tomorrow and I will definitely ask for a check of the system because it did not function as it should have. I've been flying R/C of all types for more than 20 years and I know that stuff happens sometimes, but I sure didn't expect this to be an issue. Does anyone know if you are supposed to be able to completely override the RTH? I know it's mentioned in the manual that you should control it to avoid obstacles, but can't you just land at a safe location between current position and home point?

More on the situation: we were flying in a very remote area filming a motorcycle. I was in the back of an suv with the back open flying the inspire at just about full speed backwards with the camera looking forward at the bike going through some twisties. I was trying to keep the bird about 8 ft off the ground and not hit road signs or trees that were along the side of the road. It was an awesome flight, the second like this for the day, and to end it I did a cool rotation / pull away and lift up as the bike rounded a big corner. Having said all of that, the file ended up corrupt because when the RTH kicked in, it took me by surprise and I didn't have the wits to stop recording or put the gear down to protect the camera. When it hit, I think it pretty much hit camera lens first as the ND filter was completely shattered and when the mount broke, the camera was separated from the bird and the plugs were pulled out. Looks like a well engineered week point. If it were more firmly mounted more things would have definitely broken. Also, We had stopped the car just before the RTH alarm went so it wasn't like we drove off and I couldn't see it. It was about 30 yards out and hovering about 20 ft in the air.

Anyway. Bummer. I hope DJI has a reasonable turn around time as I get paid to do this and the down time will surely hurt my pocket book.
Broken-Mount.jpg
Camera.jpg
Inspire-underside.jpg
2015-4-6
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-4-7 11:02
This just happened to me today. I was expecting a low battery warning any minute and instead I go ...

I crashed yesterday and the camera fell off of the gimbal.
2015-4-16
Use props
onthewave
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-4-7 09:07
This is great, the only problem I see in doing this is that by adding another piece of carbon fibe ...

Well the weight of the patch is so minor I see zero impact on it's stability in flight and I have well over 200 flights logged. It may be compensating for the difference but given the payload they state in the specs I would say there is very little if any flight control variances. I also sanded it down farther after your comment to see if there was any difference at all in stability.
2015-4-19
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

onthewave@me.co Posted at 2015-4-19 20:45
Well the weight of the patch is so minor I see zero impact on it's stability in flight and I have  ...

Good to hear that it is working for you
2015-4-19
Use props
topbekua
lvl.1
Flight distance : 531375 ft
  • >>>
United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-4-7 11:02
This just happened to me today. I was expecting a low battery warning any minute and instead I go ...

have you received an estimate of the repair costs
2015-4-19
Use props
River 1
New

United States

Here was my fix 135 flights ago .. using medal duck tape (roflmao) and pvc epoxy...not pretty but after 27 hours in the sky .. it seems to work .. don't see any impact of weight or reception do to medal tape.. sure as hell beats grounded for 10-12 weeks .. ill be ready to send it to LA for service at 200 flights and plan on doing the repair at that time ..stop laughing everyone as I can here you from here! .. signed ... the " Beverly Hillbilly of DJI Land"
2015-4-19
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

River 1 Posted at 2015-4-20 04:29
Here was my fix 135 flights ago .. using medal duck tape (roflmao) and pvc epoxy...not pretty but af ...

Your photo didn't post, but I'm still laughing
2015-4-19
Use props
River 1
New

United States

AH the photo size limit .. guess the site does not care for damage photos .
2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

larsmunters Posted at 2015-3-1 18:49
when I flew through the doors at the store I got a "low battery alarm",
then suddenly RTH took over and my Inspire 1 starts to go home, it start automatic ”goto fail safe altitude” and flew straight into the ceiling....

Return to home during critical battery alarm makes no sense.
I1 will always be close by if I bring the pack to 10% and I always have to cancel rth so it doesn't attempt to climb to 120ft with a dead pack, (so what sense .... maybe auto land during critical low batt, but not rth).

What I will say it that rth does NOT "suddenly" engage.
You get plenty of notice, and if it flew into the ceiling because you ignored the warning, well, lesson learned right?

Bob
2015-4-19
Use props
Inspire1flyer
lvl.2

United States

Bob calls BS
2015-4-19
Use props
onthewave
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-4-7 09:07
This is great, the only problem I see in doing this is that by adding another piece of carbon fibe ...

Well I checked the weight with a postal scale and could not see a notable difference...I guess the only way to truly isolate it would be to remove each arm and weigh it...Don't think I'll be doing that. Thanks for the input though always good to get more opinions!
2015-4-23
Use props
sallyrampton
lvl.1

United States

DIY...Easiest and strongest repair is to get some 2 x 2 weave carbon fiber and  EPOXY resin kits wh ...

Love your fix. I crashed two days ago and cracked the arm - also about 50%. I would love to try what you did, but I am hesitant because my crack is really close to the plastic piece. Do you think it would be possible to fix it on my own, or should I just buck up and send it into DJI? I'll attach pictures. Any advice is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 9.57.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 9.58.14 PM.png
2015-5-7
Use props
onthewave
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

sallyrampton Posted at 2015-5-8 11:58
Love your fix. I crashed two days ago and cracked the arm - also about 50%. I would love to try wha ...

It's pretty close to the joint which means you would have to lay CF material onto the Joint so I would say send it in. You can probably get by with GAFFERS TAPE or ossibly the stuff I saw on Shark Tank called Fiberfix? as temp solution. My Inspire met a pigeon while shooting the old Rocketdyne factory and sent it into the exterior wall. The arm broke off right at the joint this time so I had to send it in. Would you believe a repair time from DJI of 5-6 Weeks!!! Really unacceptable and they need a better solution. They state that the arm needs to be replaced and carefully balanced so it has to be a factory repair.

When I repaired an arm the first time someone remarked it could cause a balance issue which may be true but I actually taped a QUARTER to one arm and apparently the electronics compensates and keeps the INSPIRE level despite the extra weight I added to one arm. I suppose it drains the battery quicker but it proved a point to me. How critical is it that they won't supply carbon arms to us and their dealers? I think the bonding process inside the joints is the real issue that makes it not field replaceable.
2015-5-14
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

sallyrampton Posted at 2015-5-8 11:58
Love your fix. I crashed two days ago and cracked the arm - also about 50%. I would love to try wha ...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14510
2015-5-14
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

When I broke my carbon arm from a crash I was going to try to fix it myself. I decided to send it in. Thankful for back up birds   I can say I have no regrets sending it in, they fixed it and also was able to address a few other things that were covered under warranty and tighten everything up. Considering the costs of the I1 and the chances we take every time we fly it was nice to get it back in and have them go thru it and I gladly paid the repair bill.

I will say I have had to send both of my birds back now and both times they come back clean and details, noticeably well gone thru  and you can tell that every nut and bolt has been checked. Yeah the wait time is frustrating but in the end well worth it and I can fly it with confidence and not have to worry there is a lingering problem that I may of missed trying to fix it myself. As far as the work quality, nothing buy love form me for their service department. I just wish things moved a little faster.  

My recommendation is if its just the arm, send it in.
2015-5-14
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

benjaminsink@ho Posted at 2015-3-3 04:07
lars, this similar situation happened to me about a week ago. My inspire will arrive at DJI tomorrow ...

You link does not work
2015-5-14
Use props
phishyatl
New

United States

I just got my Inspire on Friday.  I've flown it a few times and today when I was cleaning it up to put it away, I noticed one of the forward facing arms had a crack in it.  I haven' t crashed it or had any hard landings!  I'm very disappointed that this drone with about an hour of flight time has a cracked arm already.  I don't know warranty would cover this, I would hope so.  The thing is spotless except for this one thing.  
2015-5-17
Use props
sallyrampton
lvl.1

United States

River 1 Posted at 2015-4-20 04:29
Here was my fix 135 flights ago .. using medal duck tape (roflmao) and pvc epoxy...not pretty but af ...

River,

Any chance you could try to post the picture again? I've got a cracked leg right next to the T joint. I want to fix it with a carbon fiber patch or FiberFix, but it is just too close to the plastic T joint. I'm wondering if your metal duct tape remedy might cure it temporarily.
2015-5-18
Use props
River 1
New

United States

D:\Drone Research\flyway and crash 1-29-2014/IMAG0040[/img]160 or more and 30 hours of flight without problem
2015-5-25
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Hey Bob!   Good to see ya man.   
2015-5-25
Use props
vincentlublink.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ok guys, this is what i did hear....
Germany and the Netherlands
They do not sell the arm's!!!!!!, you can let it repair for a lot of money!!!!!
If this is the way DJI is going on, i am going to look at a other machine..!!!!
2015-9-7
Use props
ddulworth
lvl.1

United States

I also have a damaged landing gear, but it's the end fitting that's broken.  Are these pieces available separately?  I assume I could cut the old one off with a Dremel tool, but how would install the new one.  Are they press fit, super glue, epoxy?
2015-9-7
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

sallyrampton Posted at 2015-5-19 00:12
River,

Any chance you could try to post the picture again? I've got a cracked leg right next to  ...

find a tube that fits inside snuggly and glue a few inches inside the broken stock tube.  I used about a 3 inch barbed plastic garden hose splicer that i had to sand down to get it to fit and it bends slightly but has been working fine for a few months.  I live in the middle of nowhere, if you live in a city you might be able to find a carbon tube the right size to slip inside.  19.5mm is the inside diameter of the stock tubes.
2015-9-7
Use props
vincentlublink.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-1 10:44
My understanding is replacement parts will be available but at this point still are not on the marke ...

they wil not sell it!
you have to let it repair for to much money!

at least here in the Netherland!
not one dealer will sell it, they have them bud not selling it!
2015-9-14
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

vincentlublink. Posted at 2015-9-14 23:13
they wil not sell it!
you have to let it repair for to much money!

No, dealers can't sell it but I have heard of many cases of DJI privately selling spare parts and users carrying out their own repairs.   Each time it's because the owner approached the company and started a dialog.
2015-9-14
Use props
lziggy73
lvl.1
Flight distance : 617680 ft
Thailand

Hi guys a couples of months ago due to my inexperience i crashed my Inspire1 after 3 hours flight. In the accident i broke the both (left and right) arms. After many weeks i found the spare parts on an Italian website. Unlukily DJI doesn't provide only the arms and i had to buy the very expensive full bracket set (antennas, motors, esp and cables). I replaced them by myself.
If someone is interested i can post the shop's link, or always if someone is intersted in i still have some spare parts.
2015-9-15
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

Now that's an awesome idea. Thanks for the post and the images to help. I haven't crash yet and hope
it's not anytime soon.
2015-9-15
Use props
Dronerd
New

Netherlands

Just got mine Inspire 1 repaired here in the Netherlands. The arm with the motors and the small landing gear are both fixed and it fly perfect now.
2015-9-16
Use props
UAV Man
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4747 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dronerd Posted at 2015-9-16 13:59
Just got mine Inspire 1 repaired here in the Netherlands. The arm with the motors and the small land ...

how much did it cost?
2015-9-16
Use props
vincentlublink.
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dronerd Posted at 2015-9-16 13:59
Just got mine Inspire 1 repaired here in the Netherlands. The arm with the motors and the small land ...

I don't need Droneland to repair iT :-)
2015-11-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules