Want a DJI quadcopter with 3D Gimbal for a GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition camera
31127 33 2014-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

I really love all the features of the DJI Phantom 2 Vision + Quadcopter with 3D Gimbal and especially how everything can be controlled from the remote with the smartphone app BUT the problem that I am having and running into is that I would really love to have the same set up BUT with a GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition camera instead. I do not want to sacrifice control of the quadcopter because of frequency issues.
Can anyone tell me if I could safely use the GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition camera that was just released on October 5th, 2014 and what all equipment I would need to safely get up and flying without worrying about loosing control?
I am a total novice at this but I am a professional photographer and would love to start a new venture in aerial video and still photography.
Whatever help you can give me in direction and exactly what equipment I would need would be greatly appreciated. I plan on purchasing after the new year.
Thank you for your time.
Larry
2014-10-10
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

It's really not easy to incorporate all the features of the P2V+ into a craft using the GoPro (3, 4, etc.).
I would hope that the ground station (waypoint flight) is not really a priority.
You could start with a P2 + H3-3D (provided they get the gimbal and new camera working to everyone's liking).
Then, you'd need to either go the Lightbridge route, or put together a VTx/VRx + monitor ground station.
Controlling the camera & settings in flight will still not be as easy (if at all) as with the P2V+.

Since you are an admitted novice, and a professional photographer I'd suggest:
Start with something like a P2V or P2V+.
Learn to fly the craft and observe the shortcomings (if any) that would make you prefer the GoPro4.
Then, get one of the professional builders to custom build the craft you desire.

You've got to invest some time in learning at least how to fly these craft.
In spite of the advertising hype, it's difficult for some to fly them and/or not lose them.

2014-10-10
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-11 08:22
It's really not easy to incorporate all the features of the P2V+ into a craft using the GoPro (3, 4, ...

Thank you so much for the help. You are absolutely right and it sounds like I should for sure start out by investing in the Phantom 2 Vision Plus Quadcopter. Thanks to you I now know the path I should take in my first investment.
2014-10-10
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

No problem!
The P2V+ is pretty amazing, and the quality of the camera (while not up to the GoPro standards) is acceptable for us hobbyists.
Many professionals have Spreading Wings grade craft flying Lightbridge and a Z15 gimbal that can carry their favorite pro grade camera.
But their backup craft is the P2V+ which they use for recon before flying the big machine or as a substitute if the big machine is down.
You'll be able to use the P2V+ for more than training and indoctrination.
2014-10-11
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

I think T J explained it well. I couldn't decide which bird I wanted (Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision+).
I liked the Vision+ app a lot but the better video quality with the GoPro 3+ and GoPro 4 was a deal breaker for me, so I went with the Phantom 2.

The Phantom 2 is a bit more versatile in that it can grow with you by interchanging parts and upgrading, but can't be used by the app.
Instead people have LCD screens attached to their controller and that displays GoPro feed. If you add the iOSD, you get most of the data on the Vision+ app, but you can't interact with it.

Basically it boils down to what you prefer: App access with interactive controls or higher quality video with upgradable parts

Check out the Phantom in action with the Hero 4 Black: (play it at highest quality!)

You could also hold out for a couple of months to see if they release a Phantom 3
2014-10-12
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

The guys who build this quickerelease plate. Will inform me of the GoPro Hero4black is also working on it. Include FPV and tilt camera on the DJI vision app

http://dronexpert.nl/product/pre ... i-phantom-2-vision/
2014-10-12
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-12 18:07
I think T J explained it well. I couldn't decide which bird I wanted (Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision+ ...

Thanks Cloud 9 I think that holding off is exactly what I am going to do. I don't plan on purchasing until tax return time probably sometime around the beginning of February 2015.
I definitely want to be able to have a FPV.
Is the controller on a Phantom 2 the same controller that comes with the Phantom 2 Vision Plus?
I have heard of people using Flysight 32 for their FPV or Fatshark.
What I would like to know is what exactly would be everything that I would need that would be compatible to get the Phantom 2 with 3D gimbal and the Hero GoPro 4 camera up and running without having to learn about frequency loss. Also how to orchestrate everything together.
Thanks again
2014-10-13
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

celebrate1203@m Posted at 2014-10-14 03:41
Thanks Cloud 9 I think that holding off is exactly what I am going to do. I don't plan on purchasi ...

Yep, the controllers look identical save for the Wifi antennae on the Vision+
As far as what you need, I set mine up in a very similar fashion.

Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D

Mine looks no different except for the FPV cable running down the leg

iOSD Mini

ImmersionRC 600mW

Plug and Play cable (I hate soldering)

Black Pearl FPV Monitor (Already Fatshark compatible)

Monitor Mount

As I said before the P2V+ excels in ease of use (nothing additional to buy) and takes advantage of the app really well.
The P2 requires more set up but with it now being plug and play, I see no reason to miss out on the longer range and better footage a GoPro can provide. Check out this recent video with the GoPro Hero 4
Compare some P2V+ videos to P2 videos on Youtube. If the quality is acceptable to you, the P2V+ is the way to go. If you think the range and video quality will be an issue later, go with the P2.

2014-10-13
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-14 08:28
As far as what you ne ...

Thanks for the great post. Will definitely check it out.
2014-10-14
Use props
PhantomKnowledg
New

United States

peteroudenes Posted at 2014-10-12 19:17
The guys who build this quickerelease plate. Will inform me of the GoPro Hero4black is also working  ...

Peter,
Do they have anyone in the USA that is an active reseller?  There is a reseller in Oregon but their website is down.

Have you heard when to expect the quick release plate and the various options to be on the market?  It is interesting technology for sure.  
2014-10-14
Use props
Jarret
New

United States

You can not fly with the her0 4. The FPV will not work. It is not compatible with previous GoPro models.
2014-10-22
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

This is my first post.  I decided to buy one after seeing my pro video guy fly on at a shoot yesterday.  Impressive. SO, IF I buy, i'm going with the case of the Vision+ as I don't need the higher quality of the go pro.  But here is my dilemma.  As, I'm researching this, I ran across several threads indicating that there is a NEW DJI Phantom in the works with serval mods.  Now of course no one from DJI or B and H will confirm or deny this  but  I just hate being the guy who always buys the older model when the new version pops up a week later.  Thoughts?
2014-10-23
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

@celebrate 1203 & cloud9:
Read the fine print, guys...
The P2 uses a 2.4Ghz RC Tx/Rx (pretty conventional & = longer range).
The P2V and P2V+ use a 5.8Ghz RC Tx/Rx.
The reason for the lesser range 5.8Ghz system on the Visions is to not interfere with the wifi (phone app) controls which operate on 2.4Ghz...

I know you guys are sort of new to this, and it probably always seems there's  always some sort of trade-off.
But, unfortunately, technology and physics limit what we can accomplish...
2014-10-23
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-24 08:10
The P2 uses a 2.4Ghz RC Tx/Rx (pretty convent ...

I mentioned the range limitations on the PV2+ above..one of the reasons I went with the P2.

I've got a P1 1.1.1 (dual antennae) and the P2 so I was already used to the range of 2.4Ghz.
My 5.8Ghz fpv gear gives out well before control. No point in prioritizing video feed if you can't move the bird
2014-10-24
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-24 08:10
The P2 uses a 2.4Ghz RC Tx/Rx (pretty convent ...

Thanks for the post, that really does clarify things for me.
2014-10-24
Use props
Gustan
New

United States

What antenna do you use for FPV?  I use the stock DJI downlink 5.8 mushroom (have the black pearl as well) and I really struggle to get a solid FPV signal (a small tree can throw it off).  Do you use two different antenna on the black pearl (I have the mushroom and fatshark immercian RC - still rocky).

Thanks
2014-11-2
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Gustan Posted at 2014-11-3 11:27
What antenna do you use for FPV?  I use the stock DJI downlink 5.8 mushroom (have the black pearl  ...

The best diversity combo is a cloverleaf/helical or cloverleaf/patch setup.

Cloverleaf/helical

Cloverleaf/Patch antenna

So the Cloverleaf gives you the 360 degree with limited range. The helical or patch gives you longer, directional distance. So you could get 3 or 4x the distance (with a bit better penetration) but the antenna needs to be pointed at the receiver for it to work.

Think of a helical as a lazer pointer. The Cloverleaf would be a street lamp in comparison.
Hope this helps.
2014-11-2
Use props
Gustan
New

INCREDIBLY HELPFUL!!  Thanks so much.  I notice you have both the Immersion RC (square) antenna as well as the spiral hexical.   I've ordered both as well as the fatshark mushrooms.  

As a companion to the fatshark mushroom, which do you prefer (the square antenna or the spiral hexical) for penetration and distance (or does it depend on conditions, etc.).

Thanks in advance for time,
Gustan
2014-11-5
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Gustan Posted at 2014-11-6 00:56
INCREDIBLY HELPFUL!!  Thanks so much.  I notice you have both the Immersion RC (square) antenna as w ...

Those weren't my own photos but in my experience, I prefer the helical. The square antenna gives you a bit less range than the helical but slightly more directional room to work with.

There's a youtube video of a guy testing the different antennas on a diversity monitor by covering each one with his hand. As you know, diversity set ups are designed to choose the antenna with the strong signal.
This is a very informative video (that won't put you to sleep) that will teach you the benefits of each antenna.

Some have had mixed results between the two, but those antennas are arguably the best ones for what you're working with.
Glad I could help!
2014-11-5
Use props
thomasriddle
New

United States

The Hero 4 on the Phantom 2 works well, just don't try watching the footage on your cell phone in real time:
http://youtu.be/6emDbD40qD8?list=UUCrPqcX9JvBAJF9t8IedYBA

You'll see that after 150 meters or so you'll lose the video signal and control of your drone. This can be a little frightening.
2014-11-9
Use props
kleake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I am also new to this hobby, although I have plenty of experience in RC cars and planes as well as photography.  I opted for the P2 as I already have 2 GoPro 3+ cameras and have only had it a few days so far.  I'm set up with the H3-3D gimbal and will be looking to add FPV at some point after the new year.  I see a lot of people using goggles or screens on their remotes and I haven't really decided yet which would work best for my needs.  I also like the idea of the ground station stuff, although I'm not sure yet how much of a need I will have for this.  However, I want the best setup for future options I may want to add.  

My question is, what advantage does Lightbridge have over a standard FPV setup that I can get for ~$400?  I know Lightbridge is pretty much a 1 system solution, but I can't find any comparison of it to a good FPV setup with iOSD.  Also, does Lightbridge come with a screen, or is it just the link and then you add your screen or goggles?  DJI just doesn't get real clear in their details and specs.

Forgive me if this has been answered somewhere, I'm new on this forum so I haven't had much time to browse all of the areas yet.
2014-12-23
Use props
siweckipawel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57070 ft
  • >>>
Poland

kleake@rapfire. Posted at 2014-12-24 06:09
I am also new to this hobby, although I have plenty of experience in RC cars and planes as well as p ...

Lightbridge is a digital broadcast system, in HD quality up to 1,5-2km , 5.8GHz FPV is analog transmission in VGA resolution, range depends on the used components.

There is everything about Lighbridge on Dji.com, just go there and read.
2014-12-24
Use props
kleake
lvl.3
United States

I have read most of what is on DJI's website about Lightbridge, and it looks like a great solution, but for the cost I am not sure it's required for my needs.  I don't need HD quality, VGA will do fine for just seeing what my camera is pointed at, but my question is, Lightbridge gives you pretty much everything in one solution.  To go 5.8GHz FPV it will require several devices and added weight to accomplish only part of what Lightbridge does.  My needs are these in order of importance:  1. To be able to see what my camera is pointed at in a decent (VGA) resolution, with a range of near 1 mile.  2. Having battery level and such displayed so I know what's happening on-board.  3. Having the option of screen and\or goggles.  4.  Longer range (up to 2 or 3 miles for a rare occasion here or there but definitely not required)  5. Ground station capabilities (again, not a requirement, but would be nice).  

I know that 1, 2, and 3 are pretty easy to get with almost any system, but having the option available of 4 and 5 would be nice, just not sure if it's worth the price.  Light bridge pretty much does it all at a cost of ~$1500 by the time you get all the pieces.  A decent FPV is more in the $400-$500 range, but I need to research the best choices more.  I just don't like being limited on options, then want to upgrade again later.
2014-12-30
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Dont forget that the FPV 5.8GHZ TX is more stable than a APP and it has alot less latency. It is likely that the APP will freeze or loose contact compared to a 5.8GHZ analog TX for video. The video TX feed will never cut off completely, you will see some "snow" in feed first and can react. So the analog video will indicate a potential connection loss with a noisy feed, then you knew you are to far away and can react to it. The Vision video feed will just loose connection and you get a black screen.
2014-12-30
Use props
kleake
lvl.3
United States

I was watching several videos on youtube about the Lightbridge, and it looks like it starts getting a little pixelated as it gets way out there, but the video never dropped even when the transmitter was completely out of range.  Since I don't plan to fly at that much of a distance on a regular basis it should be fine.  And I definitely like all of the OSD info it puts on the screen.  It looked like minimal delay in signal, but could be better.  Having a single device and less overall weight seems nice, but only until it fails and you have to replace it.  As for the app freezing, it's always possible, but I would hope it isn't too common.  I'm still mixed, but it sure looks tempting.  
2014-12-31
Use props
jenseser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11380554 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone has experience with the following combos from helipal.com?

Check out this video showing 3km of distance range:
Link to website: http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html

2015-1-10
Use props
jenseser
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

jenseser Posted at 2015-1-11 14:39

Nobody here who can provide feedback or recommend this combo?
2015-1-12
Use props
jenseser
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Nobody here?
2015-1-20
Use props
cegwynne
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13104 ft
United States

Anyone ?  also interested and looks like a good product.
2015-2-4
Use props
myron.email
lvl.4

Philippines

hello

is this support GP4?

thanks
2015-2-7
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-11-3 12:31
The best diversity combo is a cloverleaf/helical or cloverleaf/patch setup.

I don't know about that. A lot of people swear by these antenna combos:
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php? ... h=77&product_id=106
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php? ... h=77&product_id=119

I almost went with what you suggest, but decided to go with the fpvlr setup.
Thoughts?
2015-3-14
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

jenseser Posted at 2015-1-11 14:39

I just bought a FPV setup and was considering these packages, but I decided to go with a Black Pearl monitor because I preferred the diversity antenna option which isn't available on the monitors offered in any of the hellipal packages.

The higher end monitors might technically be better monitors than the Black Pearl (I don't know) but a better monitor is useless if the receiver can't communicate with the transmitter.
2015-3-14
Use props
PhantomAdam
New
Canada

The connector on the right front leg, is that where I get power and my vidoe feed for the transmitter?

I've got a video TX/RX and just curious how to connect it all up, All i need to figure out is the video feet and power on the P2

2015-4-13
Use props
Denzil
New

United Kingdom

RE:GoPro 4 Silver

I have a 4 Silver but when I try to view on the Monitor the picture just rolls and is not readable. Connect the 3+ Black and all is ok. There seems to be a incompatable aspect between the 2. Any suggestions please.
Denzil
2015-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules