Portable Battery Recharging
3875 17 2015-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Does anyone know of a way you could take a portable battery charge and recharge your batteries whilst out in the field?

Thanks
2015-3-6
Use props
neil.skypower
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4814482 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get an inverter and a leisure battery.
2015-3-6
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Anyone try this yet? I want to get an inverter but want to make sure it has the power necessary. I get out to some remote places and only have two batteries. It would be great to be able to charge remotely. I was looking at this one, but would like someone with hands on experience to give some feedback.
2015-3-9
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

eaglecook Posted at 2015-3-9 21:16
Anyone try this yet? I want to get an inverter but want to make sure it has the power necessary. I g ...

Better invest in extra batteries
But this inverter will do the job for you
I guess you can charge up to 8 batts at the same time.
2015-3-9
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

I read in the User Manual (maybe it was the battery guidelines sheet) not to use inverters because of possible battery damage.
2015-3-9
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-3-9 21:40
I read in the User Manual (maybe it was the battery guidelines sheet) not to use inverters because o ...

I don't know about that one. As long as you are using the DJI charger you should be fine. The Inverter is just supply the AC Voltage to the Charger. Unless DJI is concerned in regard to the supply voltage dropping to the charger is the DC supply to the Inverter drops from the drain.
2015-3-9
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Unless DJI is concerned in regard to the supply voltage dropping to the charger is the DC supply to the Inverter drops from the drain.

That was my presumption. I'm not keen on trying it and ruining a $200 battery! Will let others blaze that trail.
2015-3-9
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-3-9 22:11
That was my presumption. I'm not keen on trying it and ruining a $200 battery! Will let others bla ...

Can I use the 110v output in my 2012 Ford F-150?

This 110 v. power point trips the 40 amp breaker at wattage over 150w

What's the wattage draw on a charging TB48 battery?

2015-3-9
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

What's the wattage draw on a charging TB48 battery?

Unfortunately, I don't have that information.
2015-3-9
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-10 01:14

This 110 v. power point trips the 40 amp breaker ...

I NOW see the back of the charger says 100w draw.
2015-3-9
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Just asking...but how could that small batt, trip a 40 amp breaker?  And further more, why would DJI care HOW the batt was being charged?  Amps/Watts/Volts, etc/, the batt dosentt know WHERE the recharge power is coming from eh?
2015-3-9
Use props
gmhorse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455505 ft
United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-10 01:14

This 110 v. power point trips the 40 amp breaker ...

I charge mine with the 110 power on my 2012 F350 quite often. Just plug the supplied charger in and you good to go.
2015-3-9
Use props
e350coupe
lvl.2

Canada

OK here is the correct answer from a licensed electrician of over 40 years prior to working the first 33 years for the Government.

This charger is rated as follows

InPut which is how much voltage/amperage is need to operate

100-240 volts, which allows it to operate if various countries.
1.4 amps which is usually based on the industry standard of 120 volts.

OutPut

26.3 volts
3.83 amps.

From above we can see that if we use the industry North American standard of 120 Volts then the unit needs 168 watt to supply the rated output.

Based on the standard formula of volts x amps equals watts we then take the output of 26.3 volts x 3.83 amps which equals 100.729 watts or 100 watts.

So the efficiency of this unit is output/input or 100.729/168 equals 59.95% efficiency.

It is possible that the 1.4 amp draw refers to the 100 volt input, however I doubt that as 120 volts is the industry standard, and regardless by using 120 volts, you are on the safe side of your calculations.

Now as for the converter issue, there is sine wave which is what you get at your house, and square wave which is what cheaper inverters use.  

Where the one person commented on inverters wrecking the charger it is possible that with a square wave inverter that this would more then likely happen.  

If you are going to use an inverter the only use a sine or pure sine wave inverter with a minimum of 200 watt rating.  Although it only takes 168 watts to fully power this charger as time goes on the input voltage to the inverter will quickly from from 13-2 to 13.8 volts, downwards to 12 volts resulting in a 14% voltage reduction which will translate to an output wattage reduction to the inverter.

As for the 40 amp fuse rating on the inverter, you have to calculate that this amperage is calculated with 12 volts being converted to 120 volts, and you must take into effect the surge rating, which will not apply in this case.  However a 200 watt inverter, will give a temporary surge for milliseconds upwards to 400 watts.  This 400 watts can be supplied with an input voltage as low as 10 volts, before causing damage to the battery and thus a 40 amp fuse, would be a suitable unit for a 150-200 watt inverter.

Now that I have completely bored everyone with this useless information which I cannot forget, I would reccommend a minimum 200 watt sine wave inverter with a direct connection to the battery to charge these batteries with the use of the DJI charger.

One other thing you might want to consider is that the inverter is also inefficient in changing the 12 volts to 120 volts and we should take this into consideration on how we plug this into the car.  Most inverters are 80-85% efficient thus to supply the 168 watts to the DJI charger they will likely take 200 or so watts powering the inverter.  

With the battery off you will likely be using 200 watts/12volts which equals 16.66 amps.  14 gauge wire generally handles 15 amps, and 12 gauge wire handles 20 amps.  I generally use 10 gauge yellow fine stranded wire with an inline 20 amp circuit breaker attached directly to the battery terminal.  By running this through the firewall in a flexible 1/4" conduit you will have a circuit capable of handling upwards of 360-414 watts depending if the engine is running or not. (circuit breaker will need to be updated to 30 amps)

It is possible to get direct 12 volt to 24 volt adapters to charge these batteries but by doing so you will void the warranty, and I would not recommend this.

Hopefully this answers some questions, but please do not use a cheap inverter to charge you 3k plus units.

2015-3-9
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Ok, there are two kinds of power inverters, the cheap ones and the pure sign wave inverters. They are expensive! It will need to be rated for the needed wattage, I would reccomend doubling the available wattage to keep heat under control and to provide a smother supply of power. 200 watts should be ample.
2015-3-9
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Sorry, about repeating what you said I just made it more compact.
2015-3-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

The Battery is this crafts weakest link...Listen to E350 coupe....He nailed it. After his reasoning and very detailed description on what to use he still issues a caution to all considering charging in the field with an invertor.

I wouldnt charge in the field with nothing but the inspire charger and a generator at 110 ac.
Power inverters and battery supplies acting as an inverter are not recommended via the manual.

Buy more battery's take the variable of a charging issue out of the scenario .You'll kick yourself if you roach out a battery and it dies mid flight.You wont know it till it happens and makes for one crummy day.
2015-3-9
Use props
info
lvl.1

United States

I charge 2 sets of batteries in the field in between locations. The first set I charge from a car inverter/100w power adapter. The second charger I run off Paul C Buff Vagabond Lithium battery inverters. I'm a photographer and I use these batteries to power my strobes in the field.  I can get one full charge of an inspire battery off the smaller paul c. buff lithium battery. This is great for when I don't want to have to run my car to charge...I charge one inspire battery in my car with the vehicle off while I'm outside flying with another battery.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php
2015-3-10
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Ok, after all of this discussion, I think I'll stick to charging from a standard power outlet for a while. Has anyone used the larger batteries? Do you actually get an extra 5 min flying time? They have been on backorder since I got my inspire and was wondering if they are worth the extra money.
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules