Image quality - Too much compression and grain
4022 29 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paulgalvez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83076152 ft
United States

So I've had my inspire for a week, and I love how it drives,and it flies. But I've been disappointed with too much grain and compression onthe image quality. I knew very well, that I was buying into an amazing dronewith an ok camera. But to me the amount of grain is almost unacceptable. IMeven considering returning it or selling it. I’ve tried shooting at ISO 100 andsome color correction in FCPX and Davinci Resolve, with not much luck. DO anyof you guys have any input on this? MY main goal in getting this was travelingand getting some footage to sell stock footage online, but now I don’t know howmany people will accept this footage, but maybe I am wrong. Anyways I just wantto know if anyone has any suggestions or comments. Thanks!

2015-3-7
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

How much video experience do you have?
2015-3-7
Use props
paulgalvez
lvl.1
United States

I'm a video engineer but deal mainly with broadcast equipment gear. But I'm always learning and willing to learn.
2015-3-7
Use props
kelleyre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

Does anyone with any knowledge of these types of cameras (Inspire 1 camera /GoPro 4 etc) know if anything could be done to reduce the noise and make the overall image quality better,without a lot of post production with firmware in the future, or is this just a hardware thing.
Just curious
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I know what you mean.  My first tests were a bit ordinary but with some tweaking and experimentation have gotten some very nice results.

The main things I do are:

1.  shoot in log to protect highlights
2.  Drop the saturation, contrast and sharpness slightly in the color settings.
3.  Use the histogram and push hard to the right without overexposing.  (Histogram isn't perfect so check how far you can push in reality.)
4.  Use a 180degree shutter (twice the frame rate)

Gives a pretty clean starting image for DaVinci.   I'm used to shooting RED so I'm not pretending the image is noise-free, but you should be able to produce some stunning shots without costing $10k for the drone and putting a $25k camera on it.  

Good compromise as far as I'm concerned!  ;-)
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

kelleyre@gmail. Posted at 2015-3-8 07:20
Does anyone with any knowledge of these types of cameras (Inspire 1 camera /GoPro 4 etc) know if any ...

NEAT VIDEO make a fantastic and very affordable noise reduction plug in.  Works great.

There isn't a big noise issue in my opinion if you are exposing correctly.   

I use NEAT on maybe 15% of my shots.
Here are a couple of things I shot the first couple of weeks of owning the Inspire 1:

Shaded forest shots
http://youtu.be/a_dJbaDl7F4

Open sun over water shots
http://youtu.be/QEDfLrLrJlI

2015-3-7
Use props
Thranth
lvl.1

Canada

Nice videos Jim. Some tight spots in that first one. I subscribed!
2015-3-7
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

hello, you used the ND-4 filter in open sun at what shutter speed ?
Someone has experience with other ND-filters, problems with weight until 9 grams ?
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thranth Posted at 2015-3-8 08:34
Nice videos Jim. Some tight spots in that first one. I subscribed!

Thanks!   Yeah, a bit nerve racking in tight spaces and I did some "free Inspire pruning" to a few branches along the way, but no major incidents!
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Renaat Posted at 2015-3-8 08:46
hello, you used the ND-4 filter in open sun at what shutter speed ?
Someone has experience with othe ...

I only used the ND on a couple of shots, shutter always 180 degrees (double frame rate) unless absolutely necessary, and ISO usually down to 100.
2015-3-7
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Strange, on sunny days at 100ISO and 1080p50 i have shutter speeds around 320, impossible to have less for right exposure. So looking here in China for a manufacturer that can make a -8 stops at a very light weight.
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Yeah, quite a few people on the forum have spoken about needing very heavy ND.   Might just be the situations I've been shooting in.  I'm sure I'll need a stronger one at some point but so far so good!
2015-3-7
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Sorry, duplicate post.
2015-3-7
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Great stuff Jim you live in paradise I see
Way to push the envelope !
2015-3-7
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I agree Jim, really nice footage. As good as my eyes can see.
2015-3-8
Use props
paulgalvez
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Jim I'll try those settings great videos btw!
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Thanks all.  Might just be the time of day that I haven't needed high shutter.  I tend to shoot in the morning and often under some cover.   I'm guessing if I shot on the beach at lunchtime it would be very different.
2015-3-9
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-8 07:20
I know what you mean.  My first tests were a bit ordinary but with some tweaking and experimentation ...

Hi Jim what do you mean by a 180 twist
2015-3-9
Use props
larry.crim
lvl.2

United States

I was getting very grainy video's but when I used my wife's computer to play them it was like day and night.  you might try a different screen.  I have a newer computer but hers performs better as a video platform.
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-3-10 05:36
Hi Jim what do you mean by a 180 twist

This refers to the shutter speed.   In film and digital cinema cameras shutter speed is read both in time (1/60th of the second) and in degrees.  A 180 degree shutter means the shutter speed is double the frame rate, so if you are shooting 30FPS, your shutter would be 1/60.   If you are shooting 24FPS then it would be 1/48 and so on.
2015-3-9
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 10:01

This refers to the shutter speed.   In film an ...

Thanks Jim for that
2015-3-9
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Jim, what do you do to adjust The ( degree ) of shutter?
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-10 13:46
Jim, what do you do to adjust The ( degree ) of shutter?

It's just terminology so another way to measure shutter speed.   It refers to the degrees of a circle.

When you speak in degrees you are changing the shutter "angle."    The higher the shutter angle (degrees) the lower the shutter speed.

360 degrees = same shutter speed as framerate.   180 degrees = double frame rate, 90 degrees = 4 times the frame rate and so on.

But don't let it confuse you, it is simply just another way to talk about the number in the shutter setting on the Inspire.   The difference is it is always measured against the frame rate.
2015-3-9
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

So to change the speed is that the number ie 20 or 50 below the 1080p ? Or is there another way to change this?
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

You change it in the custom settings when you turn auto mode off, same place you set the custom ISO.
I show how to change it in this tutorial I made today:

http://youtu.be/S7PxuY9cqZE
2015-3-10
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Very nice! So does DaVinci free version have the same capability to do what you did there or do you have to up the ante on that?
2015-3-10
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

also,  for your computer, how much ram do you need and what graphics card is acceptable? I suspect my system memory might suffer some running that.
2015-3-10
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I will likely run a pc but depending on the upgrade costs I might just swap over to a Mac. I do like Mac's stability buy PC seems to be the champ when it comes to upgrading. Any thoughts on this?
2015-3-10
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-8 07:22
NEAT VIDEO make a fantastic and very affordable noise reduction plug in.  Works great.

There isn' ...

Nice work Jim and thanks for sharing your camera setup and post process.
2015-3-10
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing.
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now