Drone fine firmware updated camera board fried? HOW?!?!
1991 21 2017-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

So I'm not going to repeat what's been posted but I'll give the short version to bring everyone up to speed.

Inspire 1 V1 has maybe about 20 flights total 0 issues until had to update the firmware. (Had to wipe iPad and got newer software version) so the update was "required")
Ran the firmware update as suggested by DJI, firmware updated fine. Did remotes as well. Upon 1st trial fire up and NO IMAGE SIGNAL TRANSMISSION.

Tried everything I could find online and nothing changed sent drone into DJI and they send me a "Quotation" today for  $403. For the "camera main board" $208 for the board it self and $195 for the labor.

Nothing explaining HOW OR WHY a "required" firmware update would FRY/KILL/DISABLE how ever you want to put it main camera board!

I called they said 24 to 48 hours to get a email back, after I had to ask the same question three times and they tried to just repeat they will send the test results.
Finally after i repeated it three times they got my point I want to know how and WHY did something i was forced to do kill it?!

I didn't want to update i HAD to!!

And now they want 408 bucks for something I was FORCED. To  do!!

Anyone wanna input why following DJI directions and all I get screwed.  Other than a price to fix nothing explaining it.

Also ironically 450 you can buy a NEW x3 from dji!
2017-6-13
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

I also have an I1. I have not been asked to do any update although I have voluntarily done so. I have no issue so far. However, hearing your story, I would be more careful to avoid any update unnecessarily untile everyone else has done it without any issue. How did it prompt you to update? What version were you before on AC, RC, camera, battery?

With so many complains here on the forum about the support and service level, I would not in a million chance send my I1 to DJI and would rather send it to my local dealer whom I probably trust more on their technical knowledge.
2017-6-13
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-6-13 16:49
I also have an I1. I have not been asked to do any update although I have voluntarily done so. I have no issue so far. However, hearing your story, I would be more careful to avoid any update unnecessarily untile everyone else has done it without any issue. How did it prompt you to update? What version were you before on AC, RC, camera, battery?

With so many complains here on the forum about the support and service level, I would not in a million chance send my I1 to DJI and would rather send it to my local dealer whom I probably trust more on their technical knowledge.

I'd have to check where it was. It was probably
Firmware from a year and a half ago or so.
Had to reset iPad and when downloaded dji go
And tried to run said firmware update required. I'm guessing it was new version of the software.
Which made it a required. If it wasn't required wouldn't have updated it.
I take the old idea if it's not broke don't fix it.

I'm waiting to hear back and have DJI EXPLAIN To me how a required upgrade of the software
Fried the board.

Just doesn't sit right that forced firmware update somehow fried the camera board and then they want
400 bucks to fix what was forced to do!
2017-6-13
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

fans12851d63 Posted at 2017-6-13 19:28

So basiclly I'm being given a run around and a dance. As of now my question is pretty damn simple and yet the email reply is about  flight analysis since when had nothing to do with flight.
My question seemed pretty damn simple.
Drone was fine 100% after firmware their techs are saying fried camera main board, HOW?!
And I never claimed under warranty in fact I said I figured it was probably out of  warranty!.

Either someone is stuck inside the box and can't think outside of a script, or I'm getting a blow off.
And no straight answers..

Their reply "
Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

Upon checking the case, the unit is already out of the warranty period. We apologize but we can't provide the specific information with regards to the unit's issue as there was no flight analysis conducted.

Please refer to this screenshot of the policy if the unit is already outside the warranty period:

And here's the link for further details: http://www.dji.com/service/policy

Thank you for understanding.
Best Regards,
April

2017-6-14
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

fans12851d63 Posted at 2017-6-13 19:28

Hi d63,

I fully understand where you are at. I had a similar situation with an update last year as per thread
update 1.81 kills bird

I had no choice but to get gimbal sent back to DJI for repair. DJI did this repair without charge as they acknowledged that the fault was due to the update process. Only problem was that I had work lined up so no option but to purchase another gimbal to cover the 6 week turn around on the repair.
As per the thread, no reason was offered by DJI Ken as to how it occurred, seems that when the questions get too hard, the responses from the DJI simply stop. I also asked on many emails to DJI as to what caused the problem but was told nothing by them.

If you followed the correct update procedures then clearly DJI should be making the repair without charge as the problem was caused by something totally out of your control and clearly an issue of unknown DJI origin. Also, check the lens when it come back. I on sold mine when it came back. Purchaser who was a friend couldn't understand why his images were quite off centre - on inspection we found that DJI had placed the camera lens back into the gimbal about 45 degrees off centre!

Regards Wolf
2017-6-14
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

Wolfman Posted at 2017-6-14 14:43
Hi d63,

I fully understand where you are at. I had a similar situation with an update last year as per thread

Curious was your drone under warranty?

And yea they have danced around it. I have repeated the question. Now they claim it just "broke down"
I'll post that screen cap and the reply I sent to the just "broke down" claim..

I paid for now to get it fixed.

Thanks for the heads up about the lense!!
Majorly good to know this. I have been thinking about how to really test it fully.
Being hit for 400 I would expect it to be PERFECT.

I can say this had me question my decision about going with a DJI product honestly.

2017-6-14
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

Trying to figure out drop box and posting the links here for the images!ALSO TYPO IN LAST MESSAGE THIS HAS me questioning rather! NOT. Had
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3911.JPG
2017-6-14
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

Sorry look like attachments went out of order.
IMG_3909.JPG
2017-6-14
Use props
The drone enthu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Wolfman Posted at 2017-6-14 14:43
Hi d63,

Im curious too if you were out of warranty when DJI fixed it free of charge? I once spoke with DJI and asked them who would be responsible if something broke because of a firmware update and the drone was out of warranty, the answered that they would repair the drone free of charge in those cases.

I asked this question because at that time there were many people getting their crafts bricked through the DJI firmware updates.
I dont know if its just as common still or if the way of making updates from the GO app has changed things?
2017-6-14
Use props
Alan CCTV
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi. I did the firmware update and noticed the camera was very hot with a warning on AJI go about it....maybe you left
2017-6-15
Use props
Alan CCTV
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi. I did the firmware update and noticed the camera was very hot with a warning on AJI go about it....did you do the update and leave it to do
2017-6-15
Use props
Alan CCTV
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I did the latest update but watched it carefully..after a while the camera was very hot with a warning on DJI GO. Di you update and leave it to it without checking the progress..maybe the camera got too hot and you didnt notice untill it had cooled down. ( just a thought )
2017-6-15
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

The drone enthu Posted at 2017-6-14 21:15
Im curious too if you were out of warranty when DJI fixed it free of charge? I once spoke with DJI and asked them who would be responsible if something broke because of a firmware update and the drone was out of warranty, the answered that they would repair the drone free of charge in those cases.

I asked this question because at that time there were many people getting their crafts bricked through the DJI firmware updates.

To bad you didn't get that in writing. I'm sure by now they would have "forgotten" that.
I've been danced around more than Elvis Presley's mic stand!
2017-6-15
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

Alan CCTV Posted at 2017-6-15 01:55
I did the latest update but watched it carefully..after a while the camera was very hot with a warning on DJI GO. Di you update and leave it to it without checking the progress..maybe the camera got too hot and you didnt notice untill it had cooled down. ( just a thought )

I never read about this being a Inspire 1 issue.
Dji never sent anything with the firmware update nor did they say anything on the firmware page..
One would never expect a firmware update to over heat a camera to death..
2017-6-15
Use props
fans12851d63
lvl.1
United States

Alan CCTV Posted at 2017-6-15 01:55

You are referring to the Inspire correct?

Never left room, some complain about the noise. It's how we know the status.
Room temp was 76 what temp is always set to in the house. And no where did the download FW update nor the download page mention cam heating issues during firmware updates.
I did the update without fondling the camera at all, mainly because during some updates it's moved spun etc. I wouldn't want to be in contact with it and create and unusual resistance to the motors of the cam.

Bird was done then fired up remotes and the software said remote firmware needed updating so they were updated as well. When all done VOILA. No image signal transmission..
*sigh*
2017-6-15
Use props
Alan CCTV
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans12851d63 Posted at 2017-6-15 10:55
You are referring to the Inspire correct?

Never left room, some complain about the noise. It's how we know the status.

Hi yes ..the Inspire 1 ver 2.....
2017-6-15
Use props
OneStudPuppy
lvl.1
United States

Alan CCTV Posted at 2017-6-15 11:08
Hi yes ..the Inspire 1 ver 2.....

Interesting, three points though.
Was this same on Inspire 1 v1 ?
Everything says do not power down during firmware update.
And why isn't DJI warning of this?
2017-6-15
Use props
OneStudPuppy
lvl.1
United States

oh wait I know! Because the thousands of people would have vindication if dji admits there is a problem!
2017-6-16
Use props
Alan CCTV
lvl.1
United Kingdom

OneStudPuppy Posted at 2017-6-16 10:00
oh wait I know! Because the thousands of people would have vindication if dji admits there is a problem!

Hi ...

The update was to this version..apparantly it does the aircarft first,then battery and thirdly camera...
WM610_FC350Z_FW_V01.09.01.40.bin

2017-6-17
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Just a suggestion and assuming that you are talking about the X3 camera?

The little cooling fan at the rear of the camera does occasionally stall and jam - this ends up with the camera getting very hot if the Inspire is left powered on on the bench.
You can get it running again with a small wire, just poke the wire through the vent and nudge it loose gently.
2017-6-18
Use props
The drone enthu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

fans12851d63 Posted at 2017-6-15 10:01
To bad you didn't get that in writing. I'm sure by now they would have "forgotten" that.
I've been danced around more than Elvis Presley's mic stand!

Well, I've  got the email answer from DJI saved, maybe that will count as something?
2017-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules