Collision With Typhoon "G"
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TCDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710732 ft
Germany

Hey guys!  What about a little positivism in this Drone Forum of gloom, despair, and agony on me.  lol
Anyway, I was flying with a friend on Sunday afternoon while we made the decision to video each other while in flight. ( don't try this at home)
Everything was going great until we got a little too close.  Well I don't know who hit whom but when we collided my Phantom P3A came swirling down for approximately 60 feet when all at once the Phantom regained composure and began to hover smoothly.   Man was I relieved!!!  Both of us just stood there in amazement as the Phantom showed us it's mojo.
Kudos to DJI and this little Bird I own.  Only damage to the Phantom was a chipped prop.  Replaced prop, calibrated the IMU, Compass and camera gimble and she still flies like new!!
The video is on YouTube "DJI Phantom Meets Typhoon G" if anyone wants to check it out.  Let me know what you guys, gals, think.

Happy DJI Drone Owner,
TCDrone
2017-6-13
Use props
ezDrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

Nice you got lucky looks like you went sideways in the wrong direction on accident
2017-6-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's great to hear that it came out pretty unscathed. Thanks for sharing!
2017-6-13
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Scary.

The sound just as the Phantom starts to fall down is like an sound effect from Star Wars. 32 sec in.

2017-6-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fruxen Posted at 2017-6-13 22:28
Scary.

The sound just as the Phantom starts to fall down is like an sound effect from Star Wars.  32 sec in.

Aloha Fruxen,

Mahalo for posting the link to the video!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-6-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha TC,

Good to see you survived the crash.  My friend and I regularly fly like that, but we have an agreement that one of us is 5-10 feet above the other to avoid crashes.  

Your P3A is using the 2.4 Hz frequency.  What is the frequency that the Typhoon uses.  If it is also 2.4 GHz, another suggestion is that you stand at least 10 feet apart to avoid signal interference.  When you are that close, even the slightest bit of interference can have problematic results.

These Phantoms are really amazing.  That self correcting mechanism really saved the day!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-6-14
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Didn't seem to affect the Typhoon much at all.
2017-6-14
Use props
TCDrone
lvl.3
Germany

Thanks guys for the replies.  Thanks Fruxen for posting the video.  I didn't (we) didn't even give the frequency issue a thought.  Thanks for that also.
This Forum never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone is out there.  
Last but not least thanks to DJI for such a wonderful and joyful hobby!!!

Happy and safe Flying everyone,
TCDrone
2017-6-14
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Fruxen Posted at 2017-6-13 22:28
Scary.

The sound just as the Phantom starts to fall down is like an sound effect from Star Wars.  32 sec in.

Do you have the video from your P3A?  Would be interesting to see.  
2017-6-15
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Do you have the video from your P3A?  Would be interesting to see.  
2017-6-15
Use props
TCDrone
lvl.3
Germany

Hey bob37.  I was taken stills at the time we collided.  Didn't get a good photo of that.  Would have been interesting?
2017-6-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TCDrone Posted at 2017-6-15 13:56
Hey bob37.  I was taken stills at the time we collided.  Didn't get a good photo of that.  Would have been interesting?

Aloha TC,

In the Flight Records is the 2 GB (if you set it for 2GB) of Live View video recordings.  You would have to act fast before it gets overwritten.  Otherwise, in the MISC folder of the SD card is a folder THM that has thumbnails and 720p video duplication.  The video may just be duplicates, but it may also be a duplicate of the Live View.  You might want to check that, I have never had to.

Hope this works!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules