Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Edinburgh
6207 12 2017-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6429b1be
New
United Kingdom

Hello I am relatively new to flying and have experience with the phantom 3 but sold it to get a mavic pro.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about their experiences flying in Edinburgh ? Websites and apps all say the whole city is a no fly zone but both the police and local government have told me I can fly over Arthur's seat, holyrood park and any open green area in the city centre. Seems to be a bit of a grey area though

I know the castle, palace, airport and prison are strictly off limits, any tips, advice or clips would be much appreciated.
2017-6-14
Use props
MDJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85646 ft
United Kingdom

Not really a grey area.  The rules are that you have to keep your drone 50m away from people, property or vehicles and 150m away from built up areas - so no flying over the City centre etc.  
2017-6-14
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

As MDJ said, just apply the 50 metre rule, 50m away from people, 50m away from building. Always maintain LOS and you are good to go. Find a big park to fly and avoid any congested area because it can attract attention. No good for your and other's safety.
2017-6-14
Use props
fans6ba60355
lvl.2

India

Fly around Arthur's seat, but be careful of the wind currents around the ridge. They grabbed my Mavic and pushed it 2000 feet away from me, and I couldn't make it come back even in sport mode. Luckily, I was able to use "find my drone" to recover it.
2017-6-16
Use props
liang_c
lvl.1
Australia

Hi,

I used to live in Edinburgh for a few years. And I am planning to revisit the city and UK again this October.

I would like to get advice on flying in the city too.

Have you got any chance to fly in the city yet? Or have got any tips from other DJI users?

Many thanks!!
2017-9-3
Use props
fans6458769b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81247 ft
Indonesia

I just flew my mavic a couple days ago in Edinburgh from Princes street gardens, at 10 Feb 2018..
I was flying in the park for a while and planned to do the "zoom out" video of myself a bit before finishing my flight, unfortunatelly after climbs over 150 ft and distance 200 ft away, the winds is so high and I could not take back my mavic, but instead become further and further until the distance are 6200 ft (1900 meter) and the last position known as near the royal terrace and rosebank cemetery..

Just in case anyone found it and it has a name underneath the battery and unit says "Franky Nathanael and my phone number 08119188852"
Please let me know and you can reach me at franky.nathanael@gmail.com or my whatsapp number +628159708522 or call to my number +628119188852

Thanks in advance for your help and cooperation..  
2018-2-15
Use props
fans6458769b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81247 ft
Indonesia

fans6ba60355 Posted at 2017-6-16 21:22
Fly around Arthur's seat, but be careful of the wind currents around the ridge. They grabbed my Mavic and pushed it 2000 feet away from me, and I couldn't make it come back even in sport mode. Luckily, I was able to use "find my drone" to recover it.

Same with my drone a couple weeks ago, flying in edinburgh from the park... my drone dragged by the wind to 6000 ft away.
How to find it using find my drone? since it lost from my view at 6000ft at 200ft height, and I assume it will dragged further to the wind direction, can it be precisely as the last position? considering the drone can not connect to the internet if not connected to the remote and my smartphone...
2018-2-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Using the flight records could help get a reasonable idea using dead reckoning, where your drones might have ended up - upon battery depletion - landing/crash sites. Or someone will be making a tidy business in second hand drones...! (Always worth checking on wind speeds with an app before making a flight.) Glider pilots and eagles use hills like Arthur's seat because of the wind flow effects these prominences create.
2018-2-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans6458769b Posted at 2018-2-15 00:44
I just flew my mavic a couple days ago in Edinburgh from Princes street gardens, at 10 Feb 2018..
I was flying in the park for a while and planned to do the "zoom out" video of myself a bit before finishing my flight, unfortunatelly after climbs over 150 ft and distance 200 ft away, the winds is so high and I could not take back my mavic, but instead become further and further until the distance are 6200 ft (1900 meter) and the last position known as near the royal terrace and rosebank cemetery..

It's quite probable that it would have been handed into the police if found, perhaps you should contact them ?
2018-2-22
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

No disrespect but flying in Princess Street gardens was just asking for trouble...lots of interference and I doubt you would be able to fly 50m from someone. If someone finds your drone it is possible you have caused damage to property.
2018-2-22
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

No disrespect but flying in Princess Street gardens was just asking for trouble...lots of interference and I doubt you would be able to fly 50m from someone. If someone finds your drone it is possible you have caused damage to property.
2018-2-22
Use props
jaybee2786
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6261161 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Common sense  and you  would be surprised what  you can get away  with  in   Edinburgh  don't be smart or stupid  yes i know there are rules , 9  times out of 10  no one that  challenges you really  know the rules  and are just anti drone full stop,  be polite and courteous and don't push  your luck . the 50m rule can be questioned  if you are flying and there is no one near when you are flying   but someone walks towards your drone  hover and wait  then steer away as long  as you  make the effort  to keep all safe your not doing harm .
2018-5-17
Use props
djiuser_v4uItVPRnJLl
New
United Kingdom

An update on flying by Arthur's seat in Edinburgh... I got stopped by a ranger from historic Scotland saying that flying has been banned in holyrood park so across the whole of Arthur's seat. Didn't see any signs on it and nothing on the DJI app either
2022-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules