Spark iPad Mini 4 WILL Fit Remote Controller Arms - UPDATED
10316 30 2017-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

The Spark Remote Controller atms WILL open wide enough to Fit an iPad Mini 4 in landscape mode.  I have a SkyTreat mount that I use with my Mavic RC and that mount fits fine within the Spark RC Arms.

Inquiring Minds Need To Know.

Good Flying!
2017-6-15
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I will send the spark baack i only fly with ipad and lightning cable attached
2017-6-15
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mafia16 Posted at 2017-6-15 11:25
I will send the spark baack i only fly with ipad and lightning cable attached

Send her back cause the spark is wi-fi like the old phantom 1 and 2
2017-6-15
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

That sucks...I always use the Mini 4 on my Mavic.  Unbelievable that the 2 remotes are so similar, yet the Mini 4 doesn't fit. WTF
2017-6-15
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-15 11:44
That sucks...I always use the Mini 4 on my Mavic.  Unbelievable that the 2 remotes are so similar, yet the Mini 4 doesn't fit. WTF

I guess you could always get the mount but that's kind of a hassle{:4_157:}
2017-6-16
Use props
fans7dd18b97
lvl.1
United States

I just watched  a video on YouTube of someone using an iPad with the remote and it worked just fine. Looked like it fit okay.
2017-6-16
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Check to see if it was an iPad Mini 4 - previous generations were a little smaller.
2017-6-16
Use props
tomisaan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3934 ft
United States

fans7dd18b97 Posted at 2017-6-16 04:15
I just watched  a video on YouTube of someone using an iPad with the remote and it worked just fine. Looked like it fit okay.

i saw it too
2017-6-16
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

Mine fits fine...little snug, but its in there
2017-6-16
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I saw a guy on youtube using one of these, http://amzn.to/2taKg0X it looks like a better solution plus you don't need to pend your controller arms all the way out, it holds the iPad securely just above, I think I will get one for the Spark also since it uses WiFi only and you don't need your 4G from a phone
2017-6-16
Use props
Paraflux
lvl.2
United States

Yes it does fit in the controller! Here's a how to:
2017-6-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

I stand corrected!  After watching a couple of video's I was "convinced" that I could do it - and it does fit, as proven by:

2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

It fits...see below video:
2017-6-17
Use props
bikemerchant
lvl.1
United States

Did those of you that were successful have your remote creak and pop the first try?  I tried my iPad Mini 3 and I stopped when the remote creaked and popped a number of times.  I'm worried that the plastics will fail but it looks others get it to work easily.  
2017-6-17
Use props
aviscomi
lvl.3

United States

bikemerchant Posted at 2017-6-17 14:59
Did those of you that were successful have your remote creak and pop the first try?  I tried my iPad Mini 3 and I stopped when the remote creaked and popped a number of times.  I'm worried that the plastics will fail but it looks others get it to work easily.

As I stated over on the Spark forum, it gets easier after every insertion.  Sounds a little perverted.
2017-6-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-17 16:20
As I stated over on the Spark forum, it gets easier after every insertion.  Sounds a little perverted.

Well, as a 65 year youngster -- I've ALWAYS found that statement to be true!

Once I followed the videos posted, it did get easier.  No, I had no pops or creaks once I finally got up the guts to push through the initial resistance of the first insertion.  And as @Aviscomi stated, install and remove it a couple of times and it does get easier.  In his video, he gets it straight in and out straight.

Yes - no way to make it not sound pervreted.  Guess I am a dirty old man.
2017-6-17
Use props
bikemerchant
lvl.1
United States

Yep. Was able to get it to work by "stretching" the arms before I tried to insert the iPad Mini.
2017-6-18
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

You're correct of course, I just purchased an iPad 4 mini, hoping that I'd have an easier time seeing the text and icons on the larger screen, and that the non-reflective coating on the iPad mini 4 would also make it easier to see in bright sunlight - which was definitely a problem when trying to fly yesterday.   Thanks for the info.
2017-6-19
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

AirPhoto1.com Posted at 2017-6-19 19:30
You're correct of course, I just purchased an iPad 4 mini, hoping that I'd have an easier time seeing the text and icons on the larger screen, and that the non-reflective coating on the iPad mini 4 would also make it easier to see in bright sunlight - which was definitely a problem when trying to fly yesterday.   Thanks for the info.

I forgot to add, that it did fit very nicely.  Key, is tucking the first corner of the iPad 4 mini into the cutout in one arm of the controller, before slipping the 2nd corner of the iPad into the 2nd arm.  If you try to force both corners in at once, it will likely stress the arms - and it's not necessary to do that.
IMG_6034 (2).JPG
2017-6-19
Use props
boboyee
lvl.1
Indonesia

Hey All,
I'm a noob to drones and decided to get the spark as my first drone.  I need to say that I'm in Jakarta Indonesia where infrastructure can be limited but there are drone users out here. My question is...

Is there a functional difference using either iPad Mini 2, 3 or 4?

I plan on picking up a Mini specifically for flying with no other uses.

Any help is appreciated.

Steven

2017-6-27
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

boboyee Posted at 2017-6-27 05:39
Hey All,
I'm a noob to drones and decided to get the spark as my first drone.  I need to say that I'm in Jakarta Indonesia where infrastructure can be limited but there are drone users out here. My question is...

iPad Mini 4 is on sale at Best Buy here in the US.  If you have the financial means always try to buy the most recent release
2017-6-27
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

boboyee Posted at 2017-6-27 05:39
Hey All,

In reading posts from people with iPad Minis other than the 4, many posters see video lag and video breakup due to the processors used in the Minis other than the Mini 4.

As someone who has (2) iPad mini 4s I never experience any video or lagging problems.

Point to consider - the WiFi only does not support "real time GPS" mapping and locations while the GSM Mini 4 does, without having a SIM card installed.  You can download and cache your maps with the WiFi only Mini 4 but that may not be convenient for you. You can also buy external GPS devices and connect them to your setup, but look at the total cost of adding that to the non-GSM Mini 4 and compare the convenience.  An added FYI - There is very strong speculation that Apple will soon discontinue the iPad Mini 4: Nothing has been announced but speculation is strong that the Mini 4 will be eliminated from the Apple lineup.  YMMV

Good Luck and Good Flying!
2017-6-27
Use props
boboyee
lvl.1
Indonesia

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-27 05:58
In reading posts from people with iPad Minis other than the 4, many posters see video lag and video breakup due to the processors used in the Minis other than the Mini 4.

As someone who has (2) iPad mini 4s I never experience any video or lagging problems.

Thanks for this, helps to make a solid decision.  
2017-6-28
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-27 05:58

Correct. My mini 3 nearly cost me my Inspire, and ever since then I've only stuck to 'supported' devices. Also correct on the GPS comment - the wifi only versions do not have an actual GPS receiver, and uses wifi signals to approximate locations. not a great idea when trying to mark a launch point for RTH, and will not work with follow me and some intelligent flight modes.

Pony up and get an iPad mini 4, it's worth the peace of mind.
2017-6-29
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't drink the Apple "Kool Aide", I have a few iPads (fly with mini 4) and always owned the latest iPhone. I've never owned a Mac, nor do I have any desire to.  With that said,  Apple's support is easily accessible (Apple Stores, Best Buy, etc.) along with the fact that it seem like 3 out of every 4 issues on this Spark forum surround the Android OS.   Just my .02 cents
2017-6-29
Use props
c5Bill98
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25722 ft
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-6-29 01:59
I don't drink the Apple "Kool Aide", I have a few iPads (fly with mini 4) and always owned the latest iPhone. I've never owned a Mac, nor do I have any desire to.  With that said,  Apple's support is easily accessible (Apple Stores, Best Buy, etc.) along with the fact that it seem like 3 out of every 4 issues on this Spark forum surround the Android OS.   Just my .02 cents

I had good luck with finding a used/refurbished (?) iPad mini 4 at Game Stop. A little over $200 for a 32GB with Cellular support (no SIM). With overnight shipping, it arrived the next day in perfect shape. A few scratches but in perfect working condition. Just do a search for iPad Mini 4. There are only 16GB wifi models available at the moment but inventory changes frequently.
http://www.gamestop.com

2017-6-29
Use props
c5Bill98
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25722 ft
United States

For those interested in picking up an iPad Mini 4 cellular, there are some 32GB ($217) , 64GB ($224),  and 128GB ($239) models available now on gamestop.com. Search for "ipad mini cellular"
2017-7-12
Use props
fans5ead1e43
New
Canada

aviscomi Posted at 2017-6-17 12:50
It fits...see below video:
https://youtu.be/Vpsq7sycOog

If you do exactly that way . It will work super easy and goes inside very well. I try before that and it never work, but that way it goes, no need to force it.
2017-8-7
Use props
ThirdEyeFlyin'
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162444 ft
Canada

All you need to do is look closely at where the arms protrude from the remote casing. Notice how the arm hits the plastic which acts as a stop? Trim out this corner a bit and the arms will quite easily open further apart. Took me about 3 minutes with an Olfa blade. Shaved off thin layers until I liked it. Can't tell by looking at it really.....much less creaking and such when inserting ipad mini..
2017-8-9
Use props
ThirdEyeFlyin'
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162444 ft
Canada

Trim at arrow and suddenly you have gobs of room for ipad minis. IMG_4938.JPG

2017-8-9
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i use an ipad mini 2 actually..  i have no complaints about it on iOS 11 beta 4. ya it is a bit sluggish multitasking but for DJI go and screen capture/mirroring, i have no complaints, its identical in terms of input lag with the RC on OTG as my GF's iPad Pro 9.7 that i got since she started nagging for an iPad to mock how i begged for Mavic pro, but instead of playing her game, i just purchased it for her..
2017-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules