Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Flying In Namibia
5743 8 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yhadar
lvl.4
Israel

What are the rules and regulations for drones in Namibia? Where are the NFZ locations? Can you fly a Mavic Pro in Namibia, and if you can't, why?
Thanks,
Yhadar
2017-6-16
Use props
F.KOK
Captain
Flight distance : 18878960 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

Hello I would also like to know.
2017-6-21
Use props
uavsystemsintl
lvl.1
Canada

Drones are largely banned within the reserves, that is the main NFZ within Namibia. When you enter, the authorities will seal your drone in a bag so it cannot be used while inside. To fly in other areas of the country you will require a permit, and the authorities are getting very strict on this due to a rising number of tourists causing problems flying their drones around animals and other sensitive areas.

The permit can be got directly from the Namibia government, it is a time-intensive process and requires the user to list all the areas they will fly the drone, along with other general information. Alternatively, we offer a service where we can obtain the permit for you for a small fee.

Namibia Drone Laws & Permits

Let me know if you have any questions and I would be happy to help!
2018-7-3
Use props
F.KOK
Captain
Flight distance : 18878960 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

uavsystemsintl Posted at 2018-7-3 11:48
Drones are largely banned within the reserves, that is the main NFZ within Namibia. When you enter, the authorities will seal your drone in a bag so it cannot be used while inside. To fly in other areas of the country you will require a permit, and the authorities are getting very strict on this due to a rising number of tourists causing problems flying their drones around animals and other sensitive areas.

The permit can be got directly from the Namibia government, it is a time-intensive process and requires the user to list all the areas they will fly the drone, along with other general information. Alternatively, we offer a service where we can obtain the permit for you for a small fee.

Thanks for the info.
2018-7-23
Use props
NCAA RPAS
New

Namibia

Hi all, as indicated above, the permit can be obtained from the NCAA by emailing rpas@dca.com.na - it is a straight forward process, everything described above is accurate, except for the fact we are getting stricter because of tourists. On the contrary, NCAA is expanding the drone services, and creating new regulations simply to meet the current significantly expanding demand and scope of the industry, and of course to ensure continued safety of people, animals, and property, their primary objective. The legislation for RPAS in Namibia is being developed in line with international trends, anyone wishing to gain more information should please use the above email address or visit the NCAA offices in Windhoek.
2019-7-12
Use props
djiuser_oDfTgSHgKBoB
New

Namibia

Hi does anyone have any information regarding the mavic mini im considering getting one i am based in swakopmund. Would this have to be registered although being under 250 grams i have gone through the NCAA website but nothing about weight is referenced.
THANKS

2020-8-10
Use props
Dirk83
lvl.1
Namibia

Who can i phone to get more info ?
2022-1-8
Use props
djiuser_8xcjZ7ejx8Dt
New

Namibia

uavsystemsintl Posted at 2018-7-3 11:48
Drones are largely banned within the reserves, that is the main NFZ within Namibia. When you enter, the authorities will seal your drone in a bag so it cannot be used while inside. To fly in other areas of the country you will require a permit, and the authorities are getting very strict on this due to a rising number of tourists causing problems flying their drones around animals and other sensitive areas.

How far can you fly the Dji mavic 3 in Namibia?
2022-9-8
Use props
Charles_Gibbs
New

Namibia

So, as an update to this whole drone mess in Namibia....

1: ALL DRONES MUST BE REGISTERED!!!! (REGARDLESS OF WEIGHT!!!!!)
2: YOU WILL NEED 3rd PARTY LIABILITY ALONG WITH REGISTRATION!!!!!
3: IF YOUR DRONE HAS A CAMERA, YOU WILL NEED A CLASS III PILOTS LICENSE.
4: YOU CAN NOT FLY ANY DRONE IN NAMIBIA THAT IS EQUIPPED WITH A CAMERA OR ANY OTHER FORM OF RECORDING DEVICE!!! WITHOUT A CLASS III LICENSE!!!!!!
5: ALL NATIONAL PARKS ARE RESTRICTED NO FLY ZONES!!! THIS INCLUDES THE WHOLE COASTAL LINE IN NAMIBIA YOU WILL NEED SPECIAL WRITTEN AUTHORISATION FROM NCAA AND MET IN NAMIBIA
6: THE ABOVE PRETTY MUCH MEANS UNLESS YOU ARE A PART 107 OR SIMILAR eg. THE NAMIBIAN VERSION OF A CLASS III REGISTERED PILOT WITH A VALID LICENSE THEN THE ANSWER IS NO.

Sorry for the all caps, but it seems this is the only time people read stuff.

This is the long and short of it, conveniently everyone is leaving out this one small little regulation in subpart (2) (d) in the NAMCAR Part 101 regulations for drone operations in Namibia.

It is stated that a drone weighing less than 250g can be used for recreational purposes if :

(2) For the purposes of this regulation a RPA or RPA system is considered to be used in a recreational operation if the RPA is -
(Page 3 of 13)

(a) less than 250 grammes in gross weight;
(b) not powered by any fuel system;
(c) not capable of carrying any payload;
(d) not fitted with a camera or other similar recording device; and
(e) operated at a maximum height of 120 metres above ground level and at a lateral distance of 50 metres from the operator and a maximum speed of 10 knots.

Notice clause (d)...... This one clause will trump ALL the other clauses inside this regulation.
When the NCAA says and I quote: <everything described above is accurate, except for the fact we are getting stricter > I would like to know how exactly they get around clause (d) in section 2?

With this exact clause no drone in Namibia can be flown with a built in camera, and, if you plan to attach a gopro then check your weight WITH the attachments AND GoPro or action camera because I can guarantee you you are over the 250g mark. Not only that but it will bring into effect clause (c) as the action camera can be classed as a payload...

Any infractions are recorded with ALL current gear on the drone, and this one little clause can land you in hot water with the authorities, I wanted to get into this a s a hobby.
But, with that one little clause there is A: nowhere that I can even practice flying a drone other than my living room, and because it has a camera...... Well, you get my drift yes?

Sorry I can not post a link here just type in REGULATION NAMCARS and you should be able to find the part 101 regulation  on that page.

2023-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules