SPARK Registration
2445 4 2017-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
usera03945d267
New

China

Hi all, I have a quick question re registering the SPARK. I've bought one for my son as a graduation present and will be handing it to him later in the year. I would like to get the SPARK up and running as soon as I can so I can have a go before.

Should I register it in his name from the get go? Or can I re register it to him later?

I already have a P4 and use DJI GO 4 app, will this lead to any problems in the future connecting this to my account etc...

Thanks, and look forward to your suggestions

Al
2017-6-16
Use props
cundare
lvl.1

United States

Here's the confusing part.  The Spark has a 300g "takeoff weightt" but without its 95g battery, weighs about 205g, less than the 0.55lb/250g minimum requirement for FAA registration.  (See FAA.gov document  geting_started/model_aircraft/media/UAS_Weights_Registration.pdf).  So it appears that, based on the best source of information available, you don't need to register a Spark.  However, a bunch of online sources claim that you do.  So huh?  
2018-1-27
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

If you are not flying under part 107, you can use the same registration for all your UAV..   so you can use that now ... and later your son can get his own registration
2018-1-27
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

cundare Posted at 2018-1-27 15:45
Here's the confusing part.  The Spark has a 300g "takeoff weightt" but without its 95g battery, weighs about 205g, less than the 0.55lb/250g minimum requirement for FAA registration.  (See FAA.gov document  geting_started/model_aircraft/media/UAS_Weights_Registration.pdf).  So it appears that, based on the best source of information available, you don't need to register a Spark.  However, a bunch of online sources claim that you do.  So huh?

Please don’t spread this nonsense, the battery is part of the takeoff weight!
2018-1-27
Use props
Coppertop
lvl.3
Flight distance : 168658 ft
United States

Wait... you're going to play with your son's graduation gift before giving it to him?
Sounds like someone should have bought two Sparks...

If all you are going to do is take it out for a test drive, let him register it with the FAA once he gets it.
As was mentioned, if you are flying under 107 your current registration should cover the Spark.

As far as registering it with DJI, I'd be inclined to go ahead and have it registered under his name.

Good luck with it and congratulations on the graduation!
2018-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules