Are there plans for the Pilot App on Microsoft Devices?
9182 12 2015-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Dear DJI...

I love my new DJI Inspire 1.  Purchased the duel controller option.  I use Microsoft devices - particularly the Surface Pro 3 tablet.  Do I REALLY need to go out an buy 2 iOS/Android devices, or are there plans to release a Microsoft App version anytime soon?
2015-3-14
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I ran into the same problem.  I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3  and an RT ...I initially tried the the DJI support chat and it became apparent they didnt have a clue what I was talking about...Sorry DJI but you reallly need to do something about educating your people...There are work arounds though...I then tried Bluestacks and there are a couple of good You Tube videos on this just google using Android on Microsoft surface. Here is one of them.      I tried it and it works well enough. Its a free download but has a few catches...You either have to keep downloading there product of the day or buy it....It works well enough but I decided to buy two Nvidia Shields 64GB...It was well worth the investment...They are meant for gaming and have some good muscle in process power and video streaming...It also has the added advantage of being able to record your screen so you can capture all your telemetry which is a good idea given the Inspire 1 50/50 reliability...Sorry again DJI but to many  problems right now with your product....
2015-3-14
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Kazakhstan

Why would you want to use a microsoft device ... The software for the I1 is allready full of bugs ... Why do you want to add more !? :p
2015-3-14
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am really sorry that you are saddled with a Microsoft device. Having has Apple everything for some years but being forced to use Microsoft Windows at work, I have developed a deep and abiding hatred of Microsoft products. My suggestion would be to abandon your Surface Pro 3 and get yourself some decent kit rather than waiting around for DJI to develop a version of the App for your device (I would be terrified that it would crash!)
2015-3-14
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Surface Pro 3 is a great tablet...Your just asking him to dump $1000.00 plus because you don't like the platform...There are workarounds. Just trashing Microsoft doesn't solve the problems hes asking solutions for...This forum is supposed to be a bit more helpful.
2015-3-14
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hey Grahamj,

The question has been asked before - DJI's response was that they are supporting Android and iOS only.
It's a pity as the Surface series is a solid product - despite the hate that anything MS tends to attract!

I use a Panasoinc Toughpad FZ-G1 for work - it would make an awesome basis for a groundstation setup.
2015-3-14
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

It's such a pity that a legitimate question to an educated audience gets tanked by an Apple vs. Microsoft debate.  Love it or hate it, but apart from iOS and Android, the next biggest mobile market share is Microsoft, and you have thousands of very technically savvy folks supporting both Microsoft and DJI that is purely asking a technical question.   

Thanks Wildcat Willie and Farnk666.  I kinda knew what I was getting myself into when I posed the question, but, had to ask.  I wonder what the forum will do when they know that I work for Microsoft. :-)

Ok, better go and support the Apple market share, and purchase two iPad Air2's... :-)
2015-3-15
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-3-15 13:54
Surface Pro 3 is a great tablet...Your just asking him to dump $1000.00 plus because you don't like  ...

Oh dear.... Sorry... I put in lots of smiley faces to make it clear that I was joking about the rivalry between different platforms... I am truly sorry that the author of the original question is having so many problems.

Ok... serious answer then... As others have written, DJI have not suggested that there are any plans to support MS devices. I am sure that someone clever will come up with a workaround. I have both IOS and Android devices and would suggest that the Inspire works better with IOS devices. One word of advice, if you are going the Android route be careful which device you purchase as not all Android devices are equal. I believe DJI provides a good list of those supported and I would be inclined to suggest something from that list.
2015-3-15
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-3-15 21:43
It's such a pity that a legitimate question to an educated audience gets tanked by an Apple vs. Micr ...

Sorry Graham... I did not mean to offend. I hope you get something sorted out soon. Te Inspire 1 is an amazing machine and I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.
2015-3-15
Use props
edb2015
New

United States

Choosers preferences should not be controlled by OEMs or Manufacturers.   There are significant reasons why people buy products.  I have been in the MAC, Android and PC world for decades.  The only one that desires to bridge the gaps is Windows.  I could not progam web based apps in 1995 unless it was mainly on a PC running SQL and Windows Server.  It is not my fault that Apple did not want to do something to change the picture.  By the time they tried anything,  I was completely comfortable with Windows, building sophisticated web based apps.  

Today, because I do not work for DGI, it would be nice if the product supported Windows.  With the state of mind around cross platform,  Build ONCE - Deploy Everywhere advancements in technology,  there is no excuse to support anything less than this.  It simply adds a 4th problem to DGI Inspire 1 like this youtube video DJI Inspire 1 -

I want to buy this unit but only when all 4 of these things are fixed.  Thank you everyone for giving me the information to WAIT on buying.   I am sure DGI wants to deliver the best for its product.
2015-8-28
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

I was forced to buy an iPad for my Inspire. I am posting using an 8 inch Windows 8.1 tablet. It can run powerful software, not just little apps as on the iPad. I never use the iPad for anything but the Inspire. It has full size USB, mini USB, HDMI ports and a slot for micro SD. It can be charged while something is connected to the USB port.
2015-8-28
Use props
German300
lvl.1
Flight distance : 207208 ft
United States

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-3-14 21:54
Surface Pro 3 is a great tablet...Your just asking him to dump $1000.00 plus because you don't like the platform...There are workarounds. Just trashing Microsoft doesn't solve the problems hes asking solutions for...This forum is supposed to be a bit more helpful.

Thanks for the great response.  Legitimate question the deserves a legitimate answer.
2017-3-19
Use props
GARN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1685413 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well. Good things come to those who wait..I am an avid flyer and have been an apple fan boy since the first iPad and iPhone. Well, I am done with apple all together. EVERYTHING is on eBay and for sale except my main IMAC desktop. It's next.. I can't stand apple and their storage options and prison like ecosystem. It blows for us photographers and Video hogs. Anyway, I replaced my MacBook and iPad with a Surface 6 pro and couldn't be happier. Freedom at last! Oh, and as far as DJI and Microsoft goes, well, they announced a strategic relationship earlier this year and the SDK for Microsoft will be getting the air soon. The surface pro 6 with an i7is going to be an awesome upgrade for myself. Can't wait. Oh and about crashes of windows? You must be living in a hole, somewhere.  Windows 10 is solid as all,get out. No issues whatsoever and I will soon be putting my bird in the Air in D-Log and staring it all on my internal 512G flash drive in the surface. Then, uploading to what ever I WANT. No more crappy Icloud which just acts like a cloud service but hen downloads itself to your desktop. And Siri and homekit? Well, they are so far behind now its not even funny. So, all yoj surface owners rejoice. Its coming any day now!
2018-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules