Spontaneous fall down during descent
2771 26 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Flight distance : 136463 ft
Brazil

I have a Phantom 4 pro + and I've been using for 2 months. I was in the beginning of a very calm flight about 90% battery, aircraft very near me at 80m height. I begun a descent, when the aircraft was at about 30m, it suddenlly fell down spinning on its horizontal axis. I saw it falling down just in front of me, I've got very disappointed. I think one or more motors has turned off. It broke the land gear and the gimbal.
When I was desceding I always try to be careful in not holding the  left stick all way down since I have read somewhere it could shutdown the motors. But I could not believe that could happen so easily.
If was this that really happened, I think DJI should correct this issue to make a safer flight.
And I hope DJI can fix or replace my aircraft on warranty.
2017-6-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"When I was desceding I always try to be careful in not holding the  left stick all way down since I have read somewhere it could shutdown the motors. "

What you read somewhere was wrong.

Holding left stick full down will not shut off the motors unless the aircraft is stationary.

Do you have a gimbal guard fitted to the bottom of the aircraft at all ?

Did the aircraft crash, was it damaged ?

2017-6-17
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

1)Why did you ask if he had a gimbal guard? (he broke the landing gear? )

2) why did you ask if there was a crash? Did you read the op message?
2017-6-17
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-17 03:36
"When I was desceding I always try to be careful in not holding the  left stick all way down since I have read somewhere it could shutdown the motors. "

What you read somewhere was wrong.

"It broke the land gear and the gimbal."
2017-6-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

SM-17 Posted at 2017-6-17 04:21

I'm sure it is possible to break a gimbal even with a gimbal guard fitted!  I would ask the same question, gimbal guards can cause falls...

Maybe the question about the crash was asking if it fell because it hit something?

Upload the log to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and give us a link to the page and we maybe able to see what happened...
2017-6-17
Use props
Howard Hughes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2153209 ft
United States

it kinda sounds like you lost a prop in flight, were they all still attached when you found the air craft?
2017-6-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1) Because gimbal guards can cause reflection of the ultrasonic signal it uses to measure height from ground. It has been suggested in the past that gimbal guards can cause the aircraft to yo-yo up and down, or give the aircraft the impression it is stationary, perhaps causing a premature motor shut down.

2) You are correct I missed that bit. Either way left stick full down will not shut off the motors as was being suggested.

3) What might your thoughts be as to the cause of the crash ? Perhaps a bird strike, a branch, or perhaps it was a failure of the aircraft in which case DJI will examine the data and repair.
2017-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Maybe trying to help OP instead of picking through what others say might be more helpful. Have you anything to offer in the way of help to the OP.
2017-6-17
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

Well, there was no propels loose,  they were still attached after crash,  and I did not usually a gimbal guard. I will try to upload later the flight data!
2017-6-17
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

*Propels loss
2017-6-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You'll find that you probably won't get a response from one of the DJI people until Monday. They don't usually work weekends but it has been known for them to appear in their own time to help out.
2017-6-17
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

Uploading Flight Data

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SZ1HPS92OAV7OHUT97IL/

I uploaded this... I don't know if is everything on this, because there are many .txt files in the same date and time, not sure which one is the very last or if I should upload all
2017-6-17
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7P074I8S20TW28SJOXHB/
I think this is tha same... there is another .txt file but is about 3mb and it's not uploading saying error.
2017-6-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Don't see any clues in that, the log just stops as though the aircraft stopped talking, maybe a power failure.

Looks like you did pull the left stick full down, but that shouldn't have caused the fall, the VPS isn't seeing anything below to land on.

The 10 Km/h wind speed shouldn't have been a problem.

How many flights have you made in the 2 months?  Normally if they fail like this it is in the first few flights and they get replaced under warrantee.

You will have to wait for DJI support to analyse the logs and decide if it is a warrantee repair/replacement.  I will be surprised if they don't but they do require some evidence of a fault before treating it as warrantee.

I hope the tide was out!
2017-6-17
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-17 15:23
Don't see any clues in that, the log just stops as though the aircraft stopped talking, maybe a power failure.

Looks like you did pull the left stick full down, but that shouldn't have caused the fall, the VPS isn't seeing anything below to land on.

Nigel, thank you for your comments. Yeah I after I saw I have pull down 100% left stick but I didn't hold it long. I think I have about 30 flights in this 2 months. I've always being very careful since I'm a beginner pilot and I got very upset about this. Yes, at that time was full low tide, I was near the river but not above water and the aircraft fell on hard sand in front of me. I really hope Dji can replace it on warranty.
2017-6-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear, have you gotten in contact with Support to send the unit in for further evaluation and repair?
2017-6-17
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

How many flights had the battery done? What state was the battery in after landing?   Was it powered off or on?  Was it still in the aircraft/ fallen out on impact/fallen out while spinning on the way down?  Does it power on now after the crash, and does the aircraft power on now.

With 30 flights the aircraft are normally very reliable and there are normally clues in the log if there is a crash, there is always a risk with flying though so always stay careful, at least it was a drone and you were not on board.
2017-6-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Adriano Milanez Posted at 2017-6-17 15:04
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7P074I8S20TW28SJOXHB/
I think this is tha same... there is another .txt file but is about 3mb and it's not uploading saying error.

It simply looks like a power failure, I've seen it before and covered by warranty, it will be just up to dj to see what they can make out of dat file.
Good luck.
2017-6-18
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-17 23:07
How many flights had the battery done? What state was the battery in after landing?   Was it powered off or on?  Was it still in the aircraft/ fallen out on impact/fallen out while spinning on the way down?  Does it power on now after the crash, and does the aircraft power on now.

With 30 flights the aircraft are normally very reliable and there are normally clues in the log if there is a crash, there is always a risk with flying though so always stay careful, at least it was a drone and you were not on board.

Nigel, I have 3 batteries, so each one should have about 10 flights. The battery fell out on impact and it was still on with all green bars. The aircraft still power on after crash, but eventhough the RC shows connected, when I touch <go fly> it does not go to flight page. Yeah I thought what if I was inside.. lol
2017-6-18
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-18 03:21
It simply looks like a power failure, I've seen it before and covered by warranty, it will be just up to dj to see what they can make out of dat file.
Good luck.

I opened a case... let's see what DJI says! I hope warranty will cover! Gotta wait now!
2017-6-18
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Let us know what happens, this is an unusual one, and if they say no warrantee then reply to DJI-Jamie's post above for some help.
2017-6-18
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-17 18:48
I'm sorry to hear, have you gotten in contact with Support to send the unit in for further evaluation and repair?

I completed the case report. I'll post here DJI's analisis and what will be done.
2017-6-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Adriano Milanez Posted at 2017-6-19 17:13
I completed the case report. I'll post here DJI's analisis and what will be done.

They'll be getting back to you soon.
2017-6-20
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-20 05:55
They'll be getting back to you soon.

Thanks, Jamie!
I uploaded all .txt and .dat files to this folder:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnUQACaACUfuk9JrDfqVRtSC8Zkypw
If any one wanna check...
2017-6-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Adriano Milanez Posted at 2017-6-21 18:55
Thanks, Jamie!
I uploaded all .txt and .dat files to this folder:

And you sent this to Support as well, correct?
2017-6-21
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-21 19:10
And you sent this to Support as well, correct?

Sure! I did!
2017-6-22
Use props
Adriano Milanez
lvl.3
Brazil

After almost 1 month of sending and answering e-mails. Support found it was a warranty case!
But I have got really disappointed with DJI!
They are very confused!! First they offered me a 100% cupon to get a new aircraft, but I could only use in US since they said there was no international warranty. Then when I plan to go back to US to get the aircraft they said I have to send the aircraft to repair!!!
I think if DJI is really a trustful company they shoud be clearer and keep what they say!
That’s good for those who are in doubt of the best brand to buy a drone!
I hope they  will be at least fast enouth on their repair service.
Here are the emails:
------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 2017/7/14 22:22
To: DJI repair dept; DJI Support_US; support.usDJI
Subject: RE: Re: RES: CAS-719551-B9K0W0 CRM:0430000000231 [CAS-719551-B9K0W0] [CAS-719551-B9K0W0]
Hi Evelyn,
But in the previous email you wrote oferring me a free coupon! You can just read what you have written! How can you keep changing what you said!?
You said that was found it was a warranty issue and you offer the coupon. Now you say no!? I REALLY CAN'T UNDERSTAND! I have this aircraft for less than 3 months! I am beginning to not trust Dji!

Can you please review the emails and whole case before answering.
I hope this can be solved in the better way

Sent from my S8+ Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Mensagem original --------
De: DJI Support_US <support.us@dji.com>
Data: 14/07/17 07:08 (GMT-03:00)
Para: Adriano Milanez <drmilanez@yahoo.com.br>
Assunto: RE: Re: RES: CAS-719551-B9K0W0 CRM:0430000000231   [CAS-719551-B9K0W0] [CAS-719551-B9K0W0]

Hi Adriano,

Thanks for getting back to us.

While please refer to my last email. As your aircraft was not fly away, we could not offer you the coupon code but instead a free repair service.

Please email me if you want to send your aircraft back then we can follow up on your case.

Have a great day.

Best Regards,

Evelyn
DJI Tech Support
http://www.dji.com/

Received: 2017/7/14 5:51
Subject: Re: RES: CAS-719551-B9K0W0 CRM:0430000000231 [CAS-719551-B9K0W0]
Hi, Evelyn.

I will be able to use the coupon in USA. Either a friend of my wife can bring it or I can by myself because I may go to a medical meeting in New York on August.
Can you please instruct me how I can proceed with the coupon?

By the way, what was found to be the cause of the incident? I’m asking also to know if should I use the same battery of the incident on the new aircraft.

Thanks for all information,

Adriano

Enviadas: Terça-feira, 4 de Julho de 2017 3:57
Assunto: RE: RES: CAS-719551-B9K0W0 CRM:0430000000231 [CAS-719551-B9K0W0]

Hi Adriano,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Yes we know your aircraft was phantom 4 pro, and the serial number of your remote was on the back of it, which is start with 0BHJ nearing an QR code.

Sorry that the coupon code was only able to used in the United states/Canada/Puerto Rico, for we do not have the international warranty service. As your aircraft landed successfully according to the results, it’s most advised for you to send back the aircraft for diagnostic and warranty repair service if needed. If you want to send it back, please email me.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Evelyn

Received: 2017/7/4 0:35
Subject: RES: CAS-719551-B9K0W0 CRM:0430000000231
Dear Evelyn.

Thanks for your information. If its possible, I would like to know what was the cause of the incident. Even though I have bought the aircraft in USA, I live in Brazil and I have no friends in US who I could send to. I understand DJI is a multinational, serious and big company, and since it was a machine failure, I could receive a new one in Brazil. Please, check what my alternatives are.
In meanwhile, I’ll look for some friend in Brazil who can be travelling to US and might bring the aircraft to me.

Actually, the model is a Phantom 4 pro +

The serial number are:
1.        Aircraft SN: 0AXDE2Q0B30209   RC SN: 1TSB3OPJ5L
The photos of serial number are attached.

Regards,
Adriano

De: DJI Support_US [mailto:support.us@dji.com]
Enviada em: quinta-feira, 29 de junho de 2017 07:07
Assunto: CAS-719551-B9K0W0 CRM:0430000000231

Hi Adriano,

Thanks for your patience.

For the unfortunate incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis. We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for phantom 4 pro without charger and remote, then you can place an order for it from DJI online store.

----------If the model is incorrect, please let us know.
----------Sorry that it is not available to apply the value of the discount to any other model other than the original model, or to credit the value to your account.

For us to get the coupon code ready, please kindly help to offer the serial number on the remote. You can send also us a clear picture to show the serial number.  (For Phantom 4 pro, the number might start with 0BHJXXXXXXXXXX.

Be noted:
As we don't have international warranty service and for the version of your aircraft, the coupon was only can be used in the United states/Canada/Puerto Rico. If you are not in those countries now, you can choose to send it to your friends there. If the aircraft was not bought in the United States/Canada/Puerto Rico, please contact with the seller for further help.

Please reply this email directly so that we will handle it in time. Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Evelyn
DJI Tech Support
http://www.dji.com/

Hello Adriano,

Thank you for providing necessary information.

This will be forwarded to the respective department that will perform data analysis and investigation this may take
some time so we might as well wait for any updates. We hope for your patience.

We will contact you soon (Business hour: Monday to Friday, from 07:00 am to 15:00 am PST)

Thank you for understanding and cooperation. Have a great day!

Regards,
RJ
DJI Support
Received: 2017/6/28 6:10
Subject: RES: [DJI] : RE RES: DJI_Customer Service-Return to Home Failure CRM:0523000000059
Here is the information required:

Full Name: Adriano Milanez
Shipping Address (no PO box):

Av. Jose Moraes de Almeida, 777
Quadra 9 casa 1
Coacu
City: Eusebio
State: Ceara
Brazil
ZIP: 61760-000

Phone number: +55 85 98198 2727
Name of DJI Product: Phantom 4 pro+
Purchase date of product: 04/29/2017
DJI account for activation: drmilanez@yahoo.com.br
Dealer name or DJI Order Number: Scorpion Drones
Fault: I was in the beginning of a very calm flight about 90% battery, aircraft very near me at 80m height. I began a descent, when the aircraft was at about 30m, it suddenly fell down spinning on its horizontal axis. I saw it falling down just in front of me, I've got very disappointed. I think one or more motors has turned off. It broke the land gear and the gimbal. All propels were still attached after crash, but broke one propel’s wing on the impact.

Troubleshooting steps you have tried: None
DJI Care Agreement Number: Don’t know
OSMO Shield Agreement Number: Don’t know

De: Belle (DJI Support) [mailto:support.us@dji.com]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 27 de junho de 2017 18:54
Assunto: [DJI] : RE RES: DJI_Customer Service-Return to Home Failure CRM:0523000000059

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request(#592129)has been updated, please reply the email or click the link below.
https://dji.zendesk.com/hc/requests/592129

Belle (DJI)
Jun 28, 05:53 CST
Dear Adriano,

Thank you for contacting DJI.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product. Unfortunately after troubleshooting we suggest that you send it to us for repair.

If you are located outside of the United States, reply with the information requested below. We will create an RMA for you so that you can send it in for repair.

Full Name:
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
DJI account for activation:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Fault:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried:
DJI Care Agreement Number:
OSMO Shield Agreement Number:
(If yes, please include a copy of your DJI Care proof of purchase with your RMA.)

Please note: For your protection please do not send any sensitive information, including credit card numbers, via email. This e-mail address is not secured to receive credit card information. Any credit card information received through this e-mail address will be destroyed upon receipt. We apologize for the inconvenience; your protection is our priority.

Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a great day!
Warmest Regards,
Bella
DJI Support
Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST) Email: support.us@dji.com Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support/product

Hello Adriano,

Thank you for providing necessary information.

This will be forwarded to the respective department that will perform data analysis and investigation this may take
some time so we might as well wait for any updates. We hope for your patience.

We will contact you soon (Business hour: Monday to Friday, from 07:00 am to 15:00 am PST)

Thank you for understanding and cooperation. Have a great day!

Regards,
RJ
DJI Support
Received: 2017/6/28 6:10
Subject: RES: [DJI] : RE RES: DJI_Customer Service-Return to Home Failure CRM:0523000000059
Here is the information required:

Full Name: Adriano Milanez

Av. Jose Moraes de Almeida, 777
Quadra 9 casa 1
Coacu
City: Eusebio
State: Ceara
Brazil
ZIP: 61760-000

Phone number: +55 85 98198 2727
Name of DJI Product: Phantom 4 pro+
Purchase date of product: 04/29/2017
DJI account for activation: drmilanez@yahoo.com.br
Dealer name or DJI Order Number: Scorpion Drones
Fault: I was in the beginning of a very calm flight about 90% battery, aircraft very near me at 80m height. I began a descent, when the aircraft was at about 30m, it suddenly fell down spinning on its horizontal axis. I saw it falling down just in front of me, I've got very disappointed. I think one or more motors has turned off. It broke the land gear and the gimbal. All propels were still attached after crash, but broke one propel’s wing on the impact.

Troubleshooting steps you have tried: None
DJI Care Agreement Number: Don’t know
OSMO Shield Agreement Number: Don’t know

De: Belle (DJI Support) [mailto:support.us@dji.com]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 27 de junho de 2017 18:54
Assunto: [DJI] : RE RES: DJI_Customer Service-Return to Home Failure CRM:0523000000059

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Your request(#592129)has been updated, please reply the email or click the link below.
https://dji.zendesk.com/hc/requests/592129

Belle (DJI)
Jun 28, 05:53 CST
Dear Adriano,

Thank you for contacting DJI.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product. Unfortunately after troubleshooting we suggest that you send it to us for repair.

If you are located outside of the United States, reply with the information requested below. We will create an RMA for you so that you can send it in for repair.

Full Name:
Phone number:
Name of DJI Product:
Purchase date of product:
DJI account for activation:
Dealer name or DJI Order Number:
Fault:
Troubleshooting steps you have tried:
DJI Care Agreement Number:
OSMO Shield Agreement Number:
(If yes, please include a copy of your DJI Care proof of purchase with your RMA.)

Please note: For your protection please do not send any sensitive information, including credit card numbers, via email. This e-mail address is not secured to receive credit card information. Any credit card information received through this e-mail address will be destroyed upon receipt. We apologize for the inconvenience; your protection is our priority.

Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a great day!
Warmest Regards,
Bella
DJI Support
Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST) Email: support.us@dji.com Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support/product

2017-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules