Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NEW Inspire 2 - Miss-aligned ?
3259 29 2017-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JBSonic
First Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,
capt1.JPG
quick question to you guys, I have had the Inspire 2 now for 6 months. I have hardly used it due to its issues (rattle props etc).
I have a shoot next month and would like to use the X5S with my Cinema DNG License so I got the I2 out again this morning.

I noticed that the propellers are not alligned, both rear and front dont match up. This is more noticeable when the gear is up (or down).
Birtd flies fine, I dont assume this is an issue, do others have the same?

Advice would be helpful

2017-6-17
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Is the alignment issue the same when you are in landing mode?
My I2 is perfectly in line, when I first got it I noticed a bit of play/looseness in the arm and tightened up the adjustment screw. (was loose on delivery on 1 side).
adjustment.jpg
2017-6-18
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yea it is slightly off when in landing mode: lol.JPG

IT is loose.
2017-6-18
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And it squeaks... any advice?
2017-6-18
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Line up the arm with the other side (using the props as a guide ) and tighten the screw I showed you.
2017-6-18
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't actually have a star screwdriver small enough to fit into that screw. Which size is this so I can get one?
You had the same problem and tightening the screw solved it?
2017-6-18
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

JBSonic Posted at 2017-6-18 09:41
I don't actually have a star screwdriver small enough to fit into that screw. Which size is this so I can get one?
You had the same problem and tightening the screw solved it?

Yes mine arrived with the screw slightly loose and I could move the arm just like you.
The screw is actually a Torx #9, not a philipps (Star) just get a screwdriver like that and tighten it up. (not too much)
2017-6-18
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok thank you for the help Cougar, I have ordered the screwdriver, should have it in a couple days and see if I can make it stop moving then. Cheers !
2017-6-18
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-6-18 09:16
Line up the arm with the other side (using the props as a guide ) and tighten the screw I showed you.

Hi cougar,
I saw these 2 posts about the same thing and noticed your comments.
did you Loctite the screw?  I am now wondering if this is why my I2 was 3/4" off from tip to tip?  The legs were tight and didn't have any play in them at all.  

Rich
2017-6-18
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

It is very disappointed with DJI on their QC. I can't believe that a Mercedes Benz needs the driver to align its wheels. Back to loosen the screw on the lifting arm, it really depends on how much adjustment you need to make. I have adjusted my I1 last night. I was trying to twist the boom arm a bit by loosening the screw without any success. Eventually, I have to loosen the screw completely and push the ring away from the joint. I have found out that there are teeth both on the outside of the boom arm and the inside of the ring to stop its from moving around.
2017-6-18
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DTK Posted at 2017-6-18 19:54
It is very disappointed with DJI on their QC. I can't believe that a Mercedes Benz needs the driver to align its wheels. Back to loosen the screw on the lifting arm, it really depends on how much adjustment you need to make. I have adjusted my I1 last night. I was trying to twist the boom arm a bit by loosening the screw without any success. Eventually, I have to loosen the screw completely and push the ring away from the joint. I have found out that there are teeth both on the outside of the boom arm and the inside of the ring to stop its from moving around.

I get what you are saying DTK, I also did not quite expect all these problems.

I hope I can get the arm to be fixed in position or this is a bit of a showstopper....

2017-6-19
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-18 19:21
Hi cougar,
I saw these 2 posts about the same thing and noticed your comments.
did you Loctite the screw?  I am now wondering if this is why my I2 was 3/4" off from tip to tip?  The legs were tight and didn't have any play in them at all.  

Hi Rich, no I did not Loctite the screw, only lighted it up a bit, so it staid in the correct position. If the legs where tight, the only way I could see they where out of alignment, would have to be either wrong setup from DJI or if it had been bumped during transport. Know you are just as anal as me in maintaining your equipment.

Mine was simply a bit loose and as all serious flyers would know, it is part of maintenance to check everything prior to flight. These awesome machines are put together by humans, and things can happen during transport where boxes are tossed around.
2017-6-19
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-6-19 03:28
Hi Rich, no I did not Loctite the screw, only lighted it up a bit, so it staid in the correct position. If the legs where tight, the only way I could see they where out of alignment, would have to be either wrong setup from DJI or if it had been bumped during transport. Know you are just as anal as me in maintaining your equipment.

Mine was simply a bit loose and as all serious flyers would know, it is part of maintenance to check everything prior to flight. These awesome machines are put together by humans, and things can happen during transport where boxes are tossed around.

Thanks cougar

I find it strange that these screws do not have some means of vibration resistance measures/ maybe I am overthinking this, but on these types of parts usually have a lock or Loctite so they do not move during use.

Rich
2017-6-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Be careful with Loctite.  The red and blue generic forms are very bad for plastic parts and can cause them to crack.  They make a special "for plastic" version of Loctite 425, but it's expensive and not easy to find.
2017-6-19
Use props
JBSonic
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I received the screw driver and did some tightening of that screw. I also un-tightened it and noticed that you can spin the entire arm just by slightly loosening that screw. As in there is nothing stopping it from spinning at all.
Quite interesting, that is a very important screw

I would urge everyone to keep a good look at that one
Thanks for the tip!
Edit: BTW, since I had a set of screw drivers delivered, I think this is a torx 8 screw, the torx 9 fits but the 8 mm size gets a better grip I think.
2017-6-20
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-19 19:54
Thanks cougar

I find it strange that these screws do not have some means of vibration resistance measures/ maybe I am overthinking this, but on these types of parts usually have a lock or Loctite so they do not move during use.

Hi Rich, I did not remove the screw just snugged it up a tiny bit, so it is possible there were some Loctite on it. If you look at the design of the attachment, the arm actually has a compression fitting (you can see the gap) so don't think it will vibrate loose (mine has not)  Just another part to keep in mind, when you do maintenance/preflight inspection, check for loose arms.
2017-6-20
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

JBSonic Posted at 2017-6-20 02:31
So I received the screw driver and did some tightening of that screw. I also un-tightened it and noticed that you can spin the entire arm just by slightly loosening that screw. As in there is nothing stopping it from spinning at all.
Quite interesting, that is a very important screw

Glad I could help.
2017-6-20
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-6-20 03:29
Hi Rich, I did not remove the screw just snugged it up a tiny bit, so it is possible there were some Loctite on it. If you look at the design of the attachment, the arm actually has a compression fitting (you can see the gap) so don't think it will vibrate loose (mine has not)  Just another part to keep in mind, when you do maintenance/preflight inspection, check for loose arms.

Cougar,
Understood and thanks my friend !!
This will be on the check list for sure/// still waiting for the replacement
Rich
2017-6-20
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-6-20 07:45
Cougar,
Understood and thanks my friend !!
This will be on the check list for sure/// still waiting for the replacement

Great Rich, PM incoming in a bit.
2017-6-20
Use props
timmyd
lvl.1
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-6-18 09:52
Yes mine arrived with the screw slightly loose and I could move the arm just like you.
The screw is actually a Torx #9, not a philipps (Star) just get a screwdriver like that and tighten it up. (not too much)

It is actually a #8 (not 9) .  Someone had mentioned is it is a size 9.  But my main question is this.  Does anyone have the precise measurement of the prop tip to surface when in take off mode?  A measurement of the low side and high side would be wonderful.  with that info I can get mine aligned perfectly.  Thanks for any help!!
2018-4-18
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

timmyd Posted at 2018-4-18 07:16
It is actually a #8 (not 9) .  Someone had mentioned is it is a size 9.  But my main question is this.  Does anyone have the precise measurement of the prop tip to surface when in take off mode?  A measurement of the low side and high side would be wonderful.  with that info I can get mine aligned perfectly.  Thanks for any help!!

Sorry Timmyd. 100% sure it is #T9 NOT, T8. You risk stripping the screw if you use to small screwdriver.
2018-4-18
Use props
timmyd
lvl.1
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-4-18 07:35
Sorry Timmyd. 100% sure it is #T9 NOT, T8. You risk stripping the screw if you use to small screwdriver.

That is bizarre.  Mine are positively T8.  So maybe there are variations??  I do not doubt that yours are T9 but I can guarantee that mine are T8.  T9 will not fit them.  

Do you happen to know the exact measurements of the blade tips (tip to surface) (highest and lowest point which should be perpendicular to the I2 body?
2018-4-18
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

timmyd Posted at 2018-4-18 11:13
That is bizarre.  Mine are positively T8.  So maybe there are variations??  I do not doubt that yours are T9 but I can guarantee that mine are T8.  T9 will not fit them.  

Do you happen to know the exact measurements of the blade tips (tip to surface) (highest and lowest point which should be perpendicular to the I2 body?

From the outside tip of the blade, it is 180mm to table.

IMG_0601.jpg
2018-4-18
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-4-18 11:42

Hey Cougar.

I'm gonna try to realine mine tomorrow. Did you notice more stability when the props match?

Mine are slightly out and the AC does drift a bit especially in Tripod mode, hopefully this will sort it out..
2018-4-18
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-4-18 12:35
Hey Cougar.

I'm gonna try to realine mine tomorrow. Did you notice more stability when the props match?

To some degree the esc's will compensate, but it sure does not hurt to have a straight airframe to get your I2 to fly as it should.

So go ahead, have the props as they are in my photo, make sure the measurements are the same on booth outside props to what the I2 is sitting on (table or floor), while booth inside tips of the props line up with each other.
Edit: Just be careful, if you are under warranty and not sure as to what you are doing, you might void your warranty, DJI do not like that we do things to the I2 by oerselfs.
2018-4-18
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 1488520 ft

Roger that
2018-4-18
Use props
joejohns
lvl.1

United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-4-18 11:42

Due to a crash, I recently installed a new right arm on my i2 & I noticed the left arm clamp had slipped (but didn't damage the arm) when I crashed. I loosened the arm clamps & put the drone into the VERY tight fitting case to get my alinement. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this picture & the measurement of blade tip to base.
2018-9-2
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

joejohns Posted at 2018-9-2 06:38
Due to a crash, I recently installed a new right arm on my i2 & I noticed the left arm clamp had slipped (but didn't damage the arm) when I crashed. I loosened the arm clamps & put the drone into the VERY tight fitting case to get my alinement. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this picture & the measurement of blade tip to base.

Glad I could help.
2018-9-2
Use props
Martin Watters
lvl.1
Flight distance : 385568 ft
United Kingdom

Hello! I have had this problem a few times and my screw head has now worn down. Could anyone tell me what type of screw this is? Or where I could buy/source a replacement screw from?

Thank you! Martin.
2019-2-20
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

also had a loose arm screw after sending in the drone for repair to dji .... will start to check this now more often !
2019-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules