1412 27 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

..Or how to fly like an idiot without being an idiot.......

I was reading a thread the other week on a guy who had tried to 'push the Mavic to its limits' to try and get some decent video.  The flight wasn't that great and he got some criticism for how he flew.
But sometimes you're after a particular shot or angle that can make your flight that little bit risky when that doesn't need to be the case.  Here's a video on how to position yourself and line up flight paths to keep your Mavic in precise control when shooting a close or fast action bit of video...

Cheers,

Ian

2017-6-18
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Yep, we need a zoom camera!
2017-6-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great video Wellsi, some really good tips there, gonna see if I can get the mother in law to help me with that last one. Lol Good job..
2017-6-18
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS VIDEO, especially the music. cant wait to see more from you!
2017-6-18
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AndyP. Posted at 2017-6-18 22:10
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS VIDEO, especially the music. cant wait to see more from you!

Cheers Andy!  Had fun making it!   
Working on the next one...

Ian

2017-6-19
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks Ian. Always enjoy your vids. Nice to hear an English voice amongst all the American ones on YouTube.
2017-6-19
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jenkins Posted at 2017-6-19 07:53
Thanks Ian. Always enjoy your vids. Nice to hear an English voice amongst all the American ones on YouTube.

Ha, yeah, trying to balance things out a bit

Cheers,
Ian
2017-6-19
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Some nice tips Wellsi.
Liked to fast flower shot,....which almost chopped your wife left ear,...or here right.
2017-6-19
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Love it! Thanks for the tips!!
2017-6-19
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Tips Mate!
2017-6-19
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Great video and lesson, Ian!  Thank you very much.
2017-6-19
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-6-19 12:51
Great video and lesson, Ian!  Thank you very much.

Cheers guys!  Had great fun making the video.......  

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon

2017-6-20
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

Nice vid, very useful.
2017-6-20
Use props
Nephroghost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200456 ft
United States

Great flying and helpful tips! Thanks.
2017-6-20
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video! thanks Brother.
2017-6-20
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
lvl.4
United States

BTW, what software did you use to run the video clips backwards (making it look like it's coming at you, when it's actually flying away)?
2017-6-20
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2017-6-20 20:43
BTW, what software did you use to run the video clips backwards (making it look like it's coming at you, when it's actually flying away)?

Hi Ray
I started off trying out all the usual editing softwares but ultimately went for PowerDirector 15.  Simple, intuitive, but truckloads of features.  
https://www.cyberlink.com/produc ... features_en_GB.html

Cheers,
Ian

https://www.youtube.com/ianinlondon
2017-6-21
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Lovely vid fella, super tips.

2017-6-21
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jinjur Posted at 2017-6-21 01:18
Lovely vid fella, super tips.

Cheers fella
2017-6-21
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ray_Dunakin Posted at 2017-6-20 20:43

Ray
Just to let you know they're doing a summer offer of Powerdirector 15 + ColorDirector for free for £54 in total, which isn't bad as ColorDirector lets you adjust your video colour and settings etc and is normally £50-99 extra  They also now give you the option of a box with CD in the post at no extra cost.
That particular offer is here:
https://www.cyberlink.com/store/ ... mate/buy_en_GB.html

Cheers,
Ian
2017-6-23
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

I can second the recommendation of PowerDirector. I switched after BlackMagic Resolve was chocking on the 4K videos and have had great results. Very responsive on my four year old PC.
2017-6-23
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

nice thanks for sharing
2017-6-23
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-23 08:47
I can second the recommendation of PowerDirector. I switched after BlackMagic Resolve was chocking on the 4K videos and have had great results. Very responsive on my four year old PC.

Powerdirector  creates and uses 'ghost files' which are greatly scaled down copies of your 4K video files, which is why it can handle 4k video on an older PC ok.  Very clever solution....  Ian
2017-6-30
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-6-30 22:32
Powerdirector  creates and uses 'ghost files' which are greatly scaled down copies of your 4K video files, which is why it can handle 4k video on an older PC ok.  Very clever solution....  Ian

Your video was great . I started practicing a little between rain storms this last week . We've had so much rain this year I haven't been able to get much flying in but am trying to learn new techniques for the Mavic . It needs a different skill set than the race drones I normally fly , lol.
I also need new editing software and a faster laptop . The deal on the editing package you posted looks good .

2017-7-1
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-6-30 22:32

They have a very slick implementation of that so it's seamless.
2017-7-1
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-7-1 04:11
Your video was great . I started practicing a little between rain storms this last week . We've had so much rain this year I haven't been able to get much flying in but am trying to learn new techniques for the Mavic . It needs a different skill set than the race drones I normally fly , lol.
I also need new editing software and a faster laptop . The deal on the editing package you posted looks good .

Heh.... that's perfect!  Little concerned when I saw it was called zoom 11, maybe implying 10 previous attempts had gone wrong   
The reverse zoom has multiple trees and it's a great effect.  Just remember to line up precisely and that you have no rear collision avoidance    
The end reverse is excellent.
Glad you liked the video;
Cheers,
Ian
2017-7-1
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2017-7-1 22:41
Heh.... that's perfect!  Little concerned when I saw it was called zoom 11, maybe implying 10 previous attempts had gone wrong   
The reverse zoom has multiple trees and it's a great effect.  Just remember to line up precisely and that you have no rear collision avoidance   
The end reverse is excellent.

LOL , no the first edit I did was simply named Zoom 1 but I made a slight change and it added another 1 to the file name . I do probably have 3 or 4 different attempts and should go back and edit another video . One pass was close enough to count ants on the tree bark and another was the Mavic backing into the tree limbs at the far side of the pond . That one scared me as all I could see on the display was leaves !  It's about 700 feet from where I was standing so my depth perception was a little off .  Loved your suggestions in the video though . Gotta keep working on it .
2017-7-5
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-7-5 09:34
LOL , no the first edit I did was simply named Zoom 1 but I made a slight change and it added another 1 to the file name . I do probably have 3 or 4 different attempts and should go back and edit another video . One pass was close enough to count ants on the tree bark and another was the Mavic backing into the tree limbs at the far side of the pond . That one scared me as all I could see on the display was leaves !  It's about 700 feet from where I was standing so my depth perception was a little off .  Loved your suggestions in the video though . Gotta keep working on it .

LOL.... Close enough to count ants?  Remember how unforgiving these toys are when you clip trees!  Quite often a good few feet is enough to give the impression of a real close up

Have fun fella but keep it in the air!

Ian

https://www.youtube.com/IaninLondon

2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules