Mavic crash - sudden drop
2862 31 2017-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tanbw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4006 ft
Malaysia

I got myself the Mavic Pro after reading lots of positive review and it is within my reach.

I watch all the DJI Mavic Tutorial and Tom's Tech Time as well.

After setting up my Mavic Pro and tested take off and landing successfully both auto and manual, I started to fly low (within 10M height and within 10M distance) for my first day with Mavic Pro.

The 2nd day, I started to fly further and higher. It was all good until suddenly my Mavic Pro just crash/drop without warning.... I read that if the signal interference or even signal lost between the aircraft and the controller for > 3 secs, the failsafe RTH will automatically kick in.   But in my case, it doesn't it just crash/drop from around 15M and there goes my Mavic Pro.

After crash/drop, inspected the aircraft, 1 pair of propellers having some scratches but not broken.  Camera and gimbal not working, as I can only see the last view on the screen.  And gimbal not responding at all.  Try to take off and it is working, landing is fine as well.  But there is an error - "Vision system error".

After the incident, I check the warning log, there is a warning of "Strong interference, fly with caustion" something like that.   I did see that warning before take off,  I waited for a while and the warning goes off and the top left hand corner status show "ready......" and it is in green color, that is why I proceed to take off and fly.... am I doing anything wrong here?

My question is why my Mavic Pro just crash/drop like that without warning at all or why the Failsafe RTH did not kick in?

Any one experience the same before?

Appreciate someone can share with me your experience with the interference issue and how Mavic response when interference is strong, can we continue to fly or we should stop flying??

Thanks in advance, a newbie trying to learn here, am not complaining anything, just wanted to share my experience and learn from other expert

Thank you

2017-6-18
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

1. After open box fully charged the battery when power on the RC/GO App/Aircraft am sure the apps will prompt you to do the firmware update.

2. Once all the firmware has updated restart all the devices.

3. You need to run DJI Assistant 2 software on your PC/Mac to do Sensor Calibration.

4. You must do (IMU) Calibration, Gimbal Calibration, Compass Calibration.

5. Every times before you fly your Mavic Pro do Compass calibration first then go for flight.
2017-6-18
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

Nelsonlee Posted at 2017-6-18 17:34
1. After open box fully charged the battery when power on the RC/GO App/Aircraft am sure the apps will prompt you to do the firmware update.

thanks for the info and advice, Nelsonlee.

(1) & (2) done before my first fly.

Compass Calibration, also done each time I wanted to fly, as per what I watched on Youtube :-)

Item (3), IMU calibration and Gimbal Calibration, I will do that when my Mavic Pro back from hospital, now it is in ICU :-(  

2017-6-18
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

infinidrone Posted at 2017-6-18 17:40

btw, Nelsolee where did you fly usually?  

I find that near my place, I alway get the "strong interference, fly with caution..." alert, I see no high tension cable around, far from electrical wiring.....

Would you continue to fly if u get the strong interference warning?

thank you
2017-6-18
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

infinidrone Posted at 2017-6-18 17:40

Don't worried everything will be fine after back repaired.
Fly Safe.
2017-6-18
Use props
fansf744a1f5
New
Flight distance : 781375 ft
United States

My mavic fell out of the sky on saturday and it was totally unexpected ive had over 35 flights with it and have had no problems with it until now im a newbie to and if i learn anything new i will be sure to help you too... mine made a loud noise and then banked as if it was a dive bomber and then hit the ground... ive already contacted support and they said for me to send it in so they can analyze it to see if it was a hardware issue. ive dealt with there support on multiple occasions due to my remote control not charging and each time it has taken a month or more to get the problem resolved so i am super freaked out on having to have to send in the actual craft this time
2017-6-18
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

fansf744a1f5 Posted at 2017-6-18 17:53
My mavic fell out of the sky on saturday and it was totally unexpected ive had over 35 flights with it and have had no problems with it until now im a newbie to and if i learn anything new i will be sure to help you too... mine made a loud noise and then banked as if it was a dive bomber and then hit the ground... ive already contacted support and they said for me to send it in so they can analyze it to see if it was a hardware issue. ive dealt with there support on multiple occasions due to my remote control not charging and each time it has taken a month or more to get the problem resolved so i am super freaked out on having to have to send in the actual craft this time

sorry to hear that, sounds like the same incident that I encountered. But mine got no loud noise before it happen.  Only warning i get is the "strong interference....".  

I sent it back to the authorized retail shop, and was told it will take 3-4 weeks, but they will call to inform me what hv to repair/replace after their investigation...... finger crossed.

Was told by the support guy that, flying near metal structure, high metal fence will cause interference as well, so better stay away.....  as mine happen when I flying at the basket court where there are fenced (4 sides and pretty high fence)... not sure is that the cause that my Mavic drop like a bomb   :-)
2017-6-18
Use props
fansf744a1f5
New
Flight distance : 781375 ft
United States

infinidrone Posted at 2017-6-18 18:08
sorry to hear that, sounds like the same incident that I encountered. But mine got no loud noise before it happen.  Only warning i get is the "strong interference....".  

I sent it back to the authorized retail shop, and was told it will take 3-4 weeks, but they will call to inform me what hv to repair/replace after their investigation...... finger crossed.

ive flown around a lot of metal structures and have had no problems at all... i hope all goes well for you and they just fix it for you.. let me know what they say please
2017-6-18
Use props
fansc501b0eb
lvl.1
United States

fansf744a1f5 Posted at 2017-6-18 17:53

Let me know what happens. Im getting scared now hearing all these storys. Did i make a mistake? Was it really that bad customer service??
2017-6-18
Use props
MavicBeginner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25052 ft
Malaysia

Could it be the latest firmware problem? I had it twice iver the weekend where my GPS signal was ibterrryoted and the drone started taking iff on its own and crashed into a wall... i didn't even touch the remote.
2017-6-18
Use props
MavicBeginner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25052 ft
Malaysia

MavicBeginner Posted at 2017-6-18 20:37
Could it be the latest firmware problem? I had it twice iver the weekend where my GPS signal was ibterrryoted and the drone started taking iff on its own and crashed into a wall... i didn't even touch the remote.

Could it be the latest firmware problem? I had it twice over the weekend where my GPS signal was interrupted and the drone started taking iff on its own and crashed into a wall... i didn't even touch the remote.
2017-6-18
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

MavicBeginner Posted at 2017-6-18 20:37

not sure is it because of the latest firmware, but I updated my Mavic Pro to the latest firmware when prompted
2017-6-18
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

fansc501b0eb Posted at 2017-6-18 18:18
Let me know what happens. Im getting scared now hearing all these storys. Did i make a mistake? Was it really that bad customer service??

I will update once the service center come back to me......
2017-6-18
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Nelsonlee Posted at 2017-6-18 17:34

Please do NOT spread false info.

NEVER do IMU unless the system asks you to do.
NEVER do Compass Calibration unless you are asked or traveled far away from last location (this does not mean after 10km but like other world part)

2017-6-18
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Please show is the flight recording with stick input from the app. You might have killed the motors by accident.
2017-6-18
Use props
larsvonhierblau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95138 ft
China

I had exactly the same 102 meter and signal was gone. Mavic fell and suddenly around 5 meter above the ground i saw it again blinking and try to compensate the fall. I got the drone replaced. According to DJI it was rare hardware error of the IMU / GPS module. The new one flies like a charm

2017-6-19
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

Nees Posted at 2017-6-18 23:43
Please show is the flight recording with stick input from the app. You might have killed the motors by accident.

Nees, I dont get you, what do you mean?

How to show is the flight recording with stick input from the app?

2017-6-19
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

larsvonhierblau Posted at 2017-6-19 00:03
I had exactly the same 102 meter and signal was gone. Mavic fell and suddenly around 5 meter above the ground i saw it again blinking and try to compensate the fall. I got the drone replaced. According to DJI it was rare hardware error of the IMU / GPS module. The new one flies like a charm

good to hear that you got your Mavic replace by DJI.  

How and what do u show them to prove that it is the IMU/compass error?

2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

So sorry for the crash, please sync the flight records, then send an email with the DJI account email and the date this occurred to support@dji.com, we'll create a case and submit a data analysis for you.
2017-6-19
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

infinidrone Posted at 2017-6-19 01:58
Nees, I dont get you, what do you mean?

How to show is the flight recording with stick input from the app?

You can review your flight in the app. Then show the controls. And screenrecord that.
2017-6-19
Use props
Obi23.bs
lvl.1
United States

Dji care refresh for mavic pro. 99 ayear on amazon. Covers 2 total crashes
2017-6-19
Use props
Obi23.bs
lvl.1
United States

1st one 79 deductable
2nd crash 129 deductable. Plus you get vip treatment. No china . Los Angelas repairs or replace back in a week
2017-6-19
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-19 02:12
So sorry for the crash, please sync the flight records, then send an email with the DJI account email and the date this occurred to , we'll create a case and submit a data analysis for you.

DJI Thor, my Mavic Pro is with the authorized shop now.  I did not know that I can  download flight data an send for DJI for investigation purposes.  

Just contacted the shop and ask for the flight data, now waiting for them to reply.

thank you
2017-6-20
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

Nees Posted at 2017-6-19 02:10
You can review your flight in the app. Then show the controls. And screenrecord that.

Hi Nees, yes. Now only I know that I can download/sync the flight data from DJI Go app, after I contacted the online support from DJI.

2017-6-20
Use props
larsvonhierblau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95138 ft
China

@infinidrone I didn't had to show anything. I went to the flagship store and I showed just the drone record of my remote and they took the drone in.
2017-6-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DO make sure you are fully updated.  DO NOT calibrate IMU or COMPASS unless the program specifically tells you to do so.  When/if you calibrate, be meticulous.  Do an IMU calibration on a perfectly level surface.  Do a compass calibration completely clear of any ferrous metal.  Bad IMU or compass calibration is teaching the drone control system erroneous fixed points.  To have perfect operation, it needs perfect calibration points for perfect operation.
2017-6-28
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-6-18 23:45
Please do NOT spread false info.

NEVER do IMU unless the system asks you to do.

I completely agree with Nees on these calibration points.  Only do it when the app prompts you.

Pay close attention to magnetic interference and strong interference warnings.  Just because they go away is no assurance they won't be back at a most inopportune time.
2017-6-28
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

Update on my Mavic Pro case, DJI support came back to me and confirm it is a warranty issue but did not specifically say what is the cause.  They are replacing me with a new Mavic Pro and will arrange to send to me soon.  

Now, waiting for he new Mavic Pro arrive.

2017-7-19
Use props
DroneNut51
lvl.2

Mexico

Someone else here had the same issue...theres another thread on it
2017-7-19
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

22Jun2017

Reported to DJI Support online that my Mavic Pro crash without any sign 1 day after I bought the brand new Mavic Pro.

Sent flight record/log and other files as requested and;

on 29-Jun-2017
DJI Support confirmed that it is warranty issue and will replace a brand new Mavic Pro for me.

Ref:  CAS-735153-L9L8G3  & CRM:0430000000223

05-July-2017,
Confirmed delivery info with DJI Support.

11-Aug-2017,
after 37 days, still no tracking number and yet to receive reply on when the replacement Mavic Pro will be sending out to me

2017-8-11
Use props
infinidrone
lvl.1
Malaysia

Finally received my replacement Mavic Pro. on 16-Aug-2017.   

2017-8-20
Use props
B2N
lvl.2
Flight distance : 323645 ft
Belgium

infinidrone Posted at 2017-6-18 23:31
not sure is it because of the latest firmware, but I updated my Mavic Pro to the latest firmware when prompted

Hello, my mavic also crash without reason after update. I read many problem like this one on internet, and each time dji say that they will repair under warranty but dont tell what is the real problem...
And strangely a new update is coming...
2017-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules