Hot weather dangerous to fly ?
5364 17 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
afisch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 353146 ft
Switzerland

This week it gets as hot as 33 celsius (91 fahrenheit) in the shade. Is it dangerous to fly the Mavic in this temperature ? Or is the fan powerful enough to cooldown the mavic ?
2017-6-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The Operating Temperature Range is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C) , please visit:http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs Spec.png
2017-6-19
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-19 01:56
The Operating Temperature Range is 32° to 104° F (0° to 40° C) , please visit:http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs [view_image]

But 40 degree, hard to messure this in the sun. Thursday it will be 33 here... That is 7 below the 40, but in the sun... you might be able to cook an egg on a metal plate... So where is the limit?
2017-6-19
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suspect it's referring to ambient temperature. The main issue with high temperatures is reduced lift due to low density air.
2017-6-19
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guess no flying for me. It was 107F yesterday
2017-6-19
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Then you will not fly almost all the summer )
2017-6-19
Use props
Time2Party
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

Today i was flying at 45° C in the sun, no problem with the Mavic.
2017-6-19
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

I would think it's likely fine when moving as there will be air (albeit warm air) passing through it. But you may have problems if you were hovering for a long period in excessive heat.
2017-6-19
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

I live in Arizona where the temps have been climbing and are frequently over 104 F.  So far I have not had issues flying in 100 F  temps.  I do notice the battery temp gets to a higher peak temp which makes sense....  Supposedly there is a temperature warning that should help you identify when you are in trouble but I have not encountered it.   Excessive heat is bad for any electronic and especially for lipo batteries.  I suspect the biggest concern with high temps is damaging the lipo battery and I would guess that's why they have the 104 operating range limit.  Through my experience I don't see any issue with flying in higher temps as long as you keep your battery relatively cool prior to flying and make sure you keep an eye on the battery temp to make sure it doesn't get too high while flying.    Running elevated temps for extended periods of time I would expect to reduce the overall life of the batteries and probably the internal electronics in the Mavic so keep that in mind.
2017-6-19
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

Just a reminder when it comes to heat.  Remember that concrete and asphalt can get a lot hotter than the air temperature.  Just about everything besides grass will be significantly hotter in the sun so when choosing a take off point, keep it in mind.  There's an abandoned tennis court that I take off from a lot and  day I was letting my Mavic idle for a few minutes while I was fiddling with the camera settings.  Just sitting there on a hot day (87F) it started overheating almost immediately.
2017-6-19
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

You could fly early morning or late afternoon.
Also, it's more comfortable to stand outside at these hours and the lighting conditions are better - it's not too bright and you may be able to catch a beautiful sunset or sunrise.

Here is Israel the summer can be very hot. With the Phantom 3 I had some concern about that. With the Mavic it's seems to be more of an issue.
Anyway, I flew on Saturday and it was hot, but when the Mavic came down after a flight it was not extremely warm to touch.
When it's hot I try avoid taking it to the limits - not flying too long in sport mode and not trying to ascend full throttle for too long.

Happy flying
2017-6-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Warmest I flew my Phantom 3A was 115F.  No problems, but you want to treat it just as you do temps below freezing.  Be gentle, no full throttle anything, etc.
2017-6-19
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but wanted to add my very recent relevant experience. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area and haven't been able to fly my MA for the past couple of months, due to a combination of winds and the fact that I must pre-notify a <5 mi away heliport, so I am stuck having to adhere to my pre-planned flying windows. Anyway, finally got a chance to fly this past Saturday 7/28/18. High that day was 108F. I flew around 5-6 pm, so it was definitely still quite hot, prolly in the 105-106 range. Experienced some odd behaviors - IMU (warning) message, plus a couple of other in-flight oddities. Just seemed squirrely; chalked it up to not having flown in a while. But the main thing that struck me was that after a fairly short flight (like mebbe 5 minutes), after landing I felt that my prop motors were all (4) almost blistering hot; barely touchable. Let things cool WAY down, went out for a second flight on a fresh battery - same thing; experienced seriously scorching hot motors after just a bit of flying (around, not much hovering). I bagged it after that; just didn't seem like a good idea to intentionally make things run that hot. So I guess that max 104F spec limit is there for a good reason; I suppose this means I'm going to have to wait for cooler weather before doing much more flying. Hey, I've been looking for a good excuse (/ sufficient moxie) to fly my MA indoors (with prop guards on, of course) - mebbe this is it!
2018-7-31
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Flew last week when the temp was in the 90's. The Mavic got very hot. The bottom almost to hot to touch. Didn't think much about it at the time but when I got home I decided to look at my UAV APP. In big Bold Red letters at the top it said "Not Good to Fly" Showed the Temp in RED at 91 degrees. .
With the Temp being high and the  MP fan blowing the hot air across the circuit boards does not cool it efficiently. It flies but could cause latent  problems in my opinion.
2018-7-31
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 2018-7-31 12:37
Sorry to resurrect an old post, but wanted to add my very recent relevant experience. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area and haven't been able to fly my MA for the past couple of months, due to a combination of winds and the fact that I must pre-notify a

I agree it is to hot to fly right now  and  at least you didn't fly yesterday evening when the big Monsoon storm hit the Valley of the Sun.  It was very powerful here in the Surprise area.
2018-7-31
Use props
djiuser_09PfOY8CV3K8
lvl.1
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-7-31 18:59
I agree it is to hot to fly right now  and  at least you didn't fly yesterday evening when the big Monsoon storm hit the Valley of the Sun.  It was very powerful here in the Surprise area.

It was nasty last night here in Surprise, lost a very large branch from on of my trees in the front yard, but part of Suprise are you in?
2018-7-31
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Dysart and Thunderbird roads.
2018-7-31
Use props
djiuser_2sgHMI41I8eW
New

United States

I wanted to fly my mini 2 at Havasu Lake but temp right now is 117f. I won’t risk it
2023-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules