Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wait for new firmware?
1743 19 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jakobnorway
lvl.1
Norway

After reading for days and nights, in countless posts and several forums, about major problems with the new firmware, is it OK to sum it all up by saying:
1. Downgrade to previous firmware. Just... do it. Don't spend time trying to make it work.
2. Wait for DJI posting a new one.
Is this faire to say? Btw: Same problem as everyone else with no connection between controller and camera, whatever I do, whatever advise I follow. Rolling back firmware solving every problem.
2017-6-19
Use props
I 2 Fly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I had no issue updating to the latest version.  Mostly I found no issues after flying a few times - only nonsense is the "Strong Interference" I see popping up and then the old "High Wind Velocity" that came over from the previous update....
2017-6-19
Use props
jakobnorway
lvl.1
Norway

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-6-19 02:53
I had no issue updating to the latest version.  Mostly I found no issues after flying a few times - only nonsense is the "Strong Interference" I see popping up and then the old "High Wind Velocity" that came over from the previous update....

Glad to hear no major issues. But these two weeks with continuess posts from all over the globe about consistent trouble with the new firmware hopefully have delivered overwhelmingly evidence to DJI's developers and engineers that something is very, very wrong. There should not be any need for users sitting up for weeks trying to figure it out. And who knows what else might be wrong and still not documented.
2017-6-19
Use props
CanonMax
Captain
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

jakobnorway Posted at 2017-6-19 03:02
Glad to hear no major issues. But these two weeks with continuess posts from all over the globe about consistent trouble with the new firmware hopefully have delivered overwhelmingly evidence to DJI's developers and engineers that something is very, very wrong. There should not be any need for users sitting up for weeks trying to figure it out. And who knows what else might be wrong and still not documented.

Hi Jakob...

The only thing I can say is that I updated my Remote controller (first) and my Phantom 4 Pro and my batteries (for the moment I own 3 of them) without any problem. You do need to read carefully and use some of your patience waiting (in the meantime I always study trumpet haha)

As I know that is can or might happen that you will need to bind the Remote Controller to the Aircraft I checked this and for the first time I had to bind them which was no problem.
I have since flown all my batteries for three times now and had very good flights...

This is my equipment and firmware status as per: 2017-06-16:

DJI Phantom 4 Pro Model WM331A - Serial: 0AXDDCC - 0A20814 (January 8th 2017) flying in MODE 2
Aircraft Firmware: V 01.04.0602 (June 8th 2017)
Phantom 4 Pro Remote Controller (GL300F) Firmware: V 1.4.1.0 (June 8th 2017)
DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.1.2 (June 15th 2017)
DJI GS Pro App: V 1.2.1 (March 28th 2017)

Flight Database V. 00.00.01.04 (April 12th 2017)
App Database V. 00.00.01.04 (April 12th 2017)

Apple iPad Pro 9.7" 128GB iOS 10.3.2 (May 16th 2017)

I also use Litchi at times...

Take care, try to be patient and fly SAFEST!

Max
2017-6-19
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

jakobnorway Posted at 2017-6-19 03:02

Just ƒor the sake of statistics, what OS do you have on your tablet/phone , or do you have a P4P+?
2017-6-19
Use props
vsc
lvl.1
United States

CanonMax Posted at 2017-6-19 03:43
Hi Jakob...

The only thing I can say is that I updated my Remote controller (first) and my Phantom 4 Pro and my batteries (for the moment I own 3 of them) without any problem. You do need to read carefully and use some of your patience waiting (in the meantime I always study trumpet haha)

Comments on the latest update are all the more confusing given P4P versus P4P+, etc. Thank you for concisely documenting your configuration. In reading people have attributed a number of issues (perceived or real) to the latest update. Have seen the following in your experience with the update?

- Gimbal vibration that is not resolved by calibration rending capture of video impossible without a downgrade
- Unable to unlock fight zones which formally were usable without special permission
- Loss of pairing between controller and aircraft, resolved by repairing manually
- Loss of aircraft calibration requiring manual recalibration (e.g. IMU)
2017-6-19
Use props
CanonMax
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

vsc Posted at 2017-6-19 06:24
Comments on the latest update are all the more confusing given P4P versus P4P+, etc. Thank you for concisely documenting your configuration. In reading people have attributed a number of issues (perceived or real) to the latest update. Have seen the following in your experience with the update?

- Gimbal vibration that is not resolved by calibration rending capture of video impossible without a downgrade

Hi VSC...

I own this DJI Phantom 4 Pro since January 8th 2017 and I never had problems with updating...
Last week, updating everything (see my description of my hardware I updated and to which versions) for the FIRST time I had to re-liink my Remote Control and Aircraft (this can happen) which only took 10 seconds... I really did not see nor have any of the other problems you mention... I am sorry to read you have them...

Today I tested Remote/Drone/Batteries/Flightmodes etc. on a simple modelairfield... both the video and the pictures were razorsharp...
I also had someone else fly it... all went well...

I am NOT a DJI employee, just a happy Phantom 4 Pro user...

Take your time to update, go through all settings and fly fly fly

Ciao,

Max
2017-6-19
Use props
jakobnorway
lvl.1
Sweden

CanonMax Posted at 2017-6-19 03:43
Hi Jakob...

Hi there, Max - and everyone reading/commenting!
Thank you for quick response.
I purchased P4P (not plus-versjon) three weeks ago in Oslo, Norway, Europe. Wonderful machine, until this update.
I run monitoring on my iPhone7, iOS 10.3.2 modemfirmware 1.03.50
I have tried everything - litterary everything to get the update work: fabric reset of copter and RC, updating from Assistant and app, and vice versa in that order, deleting and reinstalling Assistant, delete and reinstall app, updating RC first without copter, unistalling RC then installing WITH copter engaged, relinking copter and RC, switching cables, changing cables, disabling network and reset modem, updating with 4G engaged and network out,  reset copter with resetbutton, reset RC as described several places. And relinking, relinking.

All with same result: No connection between copter cam and RC. Only thing which works: Old firmware, with everything in place, flying perfect, crisp recordings and link to phone. So. What can be wrong?
best regards, Jakob
2017-6-19
Use props
CanonMax
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jakobnorway Posted at 2017-6-19 12:57
Hi there, Max - and everyone reading/commenting!
Thank you for quick response.
I purchased P4P (not plus-versjon) three weeks ago in Oslo, Norway, Europe. Wonderful machine, until this update.

Hello Jakob

I'm also from Europe The Netherlands...

I read your reply over and over and I cannot think of anything else then borrowing another iPhone or tablet from someone to test that. I hope you use the DJI GO 4 app... and I'm almost sure you already deleted that and are trying what you are trying with JUST the DJI GO 4 app active... or ask the shop where you bought the drone if you can try another drone (or someone elses... or just the remote... I think the shop should help you in the first place...

I will keep trying and ask other DJI Phantom 4 Flyers...

I wish you can fly soon with the new firmware...

take care,

Max
2017-6-19
Use props
jakobnorway
lvl.1
Sweden

CanonMax Posted at 2017-6-19 13:04
Hello Jakob

I'm also from Europe  Thje Netherlands...

Thank you again, Max - very good service indeed!
take care,
Jakob
2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
Second Officer
United States

Did you update just the app and the Phantom4 plus? You also have to update the firmware on the rc as well. Perhaps you could try following a p4p update how to video on youtube. Follow along with the video and see if your following the same steps and the p4p is responding the same. It seems that going from computer to controller to p4p all at once and updating is the way to go but ive not done it yet so i really cant say. My p4 aint broke so i aint fixing it. Thats just kinda my mentality. The new firmware gives me nothing and potentially takes away so I dont see the point. Im not interested in anything the new firmware is offering which seems to be very little.
2017-6-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-19 15:26
Did you update just the app and the Phantom4 plus? You also have to update the firmware on the rc as well. Perhaps you could try following a p4p update how to video on youtube. Follow along with the video and see if your following the same steps and the p4p is responding the same. It seems that going from computer to controller to p4p all at once and updating is the way to go but ive not done it yet so i really cant say. My p4 aint broke so i aint fixing it. Thats just kinda my mentality. The new firmware gives me nothing and potentially takes away so I dont see the point. Im not interested in anything the new firmware is offering which seems to be very little.

A fix to gimbal horizon integrity - that's enough to justify upgrading for many.

I have successfuly upgraded. Trying to recall what I did different, I'm not sure of a reason why it worked for me and not others. Assistant 2 to update a cool P4P, then DJI GO app/iPhone/WiFi to update the RC. I do recall refreshing both (in the same order) because I was concerned about the LED blinking red/green, and once done did a manual re-link (C1+C2+Record).

I'm wondering if it's worth clearing the settings on the RC, and taking the P4P back to factory defaults, before doing a firmware update on each?
2017-6-19
Use props
vsc
lvl.1
United States

CanonMax Posted at 2017-6-19 11:34
Hi VSC...

I own this DJI Phantom 4 Pro since January 8th 2017 and I never had problems with updating...

Perhaps a misunderstanding. I cited a number of issues others were claiming with respect to the new firmware. When I posed I had not yet updated.

That said I went ahead and updated the firmware on everything tonight starting with the DJI Go 4  iOS app (more later), then controller and finally the drone. While I didn’t fly it I didn’t see any gimbal or other issues with the new software.. Also while it used to ask me about flying in the class D airspace, I got no such warning. I even fired up the motors without props on in the house without any warning.

Note the sequence cited. This has been recommended by multiple people where they said controller first then drone. Note that the controller is left on while using the on the go cable to update the drone. I used an iOS device given the Samsung issues with RNDIS.

Note that the incompatible software message comes up when switching to a different battery. The software injection appears to be loading firmware on the battery, where the aircraft reboots after the verification completes. I did this for every battery I own.

Finally I connected up the Samsung and the only thing I saw different about the new Android application is that it didn’t offer me a button to look at compass and INS alignment. It said good, but that’s it. The information is still available in the settings.

Clearly I fired up DJI Go 4 and found no issues, though not flying. I switched to Litchi and programmed up waypoints. Telling the aircraft to go uploaded the mission and it tried to takeoff but I aborted it (with no props attached). Then I switched to Pix4d. That app crashed early on but on restart I was able to define a collection area, upload and attempt to fly it. Third party apps work with the new software / firmware. Note all apps were up to the most current versions on Google Play.
2017-6-19
Use props
vsc
lvl.1
United States

Hi VSC...

Perhaps a misunderstanding. I cited a number of issues others were claiming with respect to the new firmware. When I posed I had not yet updated.

That said I went ahead and updated the firmware on everything tonight starting with the DJI Go 4  iOS app (more later), then controller and finally the drone. While I didn’t fly it I didn’t see any gimbal or other issues with the new software.. Also while it used to ask me about flying in the class D airspace, I got no such warning. I even fired up the motors without props on in the house without any warning.

Note the sequence cited. This has been recommended by multiple people where they said controller first then drone. Note that the controller is left on while using the on the go cable to update the drone. I used an iOS device given the Samsung issues with RNDIS.

Note that the incompatible software message comes up when switching to a different battery. The software injection appears to be loading firmware on the battery, where the aircraft reboots after the verification completes. I did this for every battery I own.

Finally I connected up the Samsung and the only thing I saw different about the new Android application is that it didn’t offer me a button to look at compass and INS alignment. It said good, but that’s it. The information is still available in the settings.

Clearly I fired up DJI Go 4 and found no issues, though not flying. I switched to Litchi and programmed up waypoints. Telling the aircraft to go uploaded the mission and it tried to takeoff but I aborted it (with no props attached). Then I switched to Pix4d. That app crashed early on but on restart I was able to define a collection area, upload and attempt to fly it. Third party apps work with the new software / firmware. Note all apps were up to the most current versions on Google Play.
2017-6-19
Use props
vsc
lvl.1
United States

Hi VSC...

Perhaps a misunderstanding. I cited a number of issues others were claiming with respect to the new firmware. When I posted I had not yet updated.

That said I went ahead and updated the firmware on everything tonight starting with the DJI Go 4 iOS app (more later), then controller and finally the drone. While I didn’t fly it I didn’t see any gimbal or other issues with the new software. Also while it used to ask me about flying in the class D airspace, I got no such warning. I even fired up the motors without props on in the house without any warning.

A flight test will have to wait until is light outside.
2017-6-19
Use props
CanonMax
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

vsc Posted at 2017-6-19 19:00
Perhaps a misunderstanding. I cited a number of issues others were claiming with respect to the new firmware. When I posted I had not yet updated.

That said I went ahead and updated the firmware on everything tonight starting with the DJI Go 4 iOS app (more later), then controller and finally the drone. While I didn’t fly it I didn’t see any gimbal or other issues with the new software. Also while it used to ask me about flying in the class D airspace, I got no such warning. I even fired up the motors without props on in the house without any warning.

Keep us posted, please...

Max
btw I do not see "flight distance" under your name at the left of these messages... haven't you taken off in real-time yet?
2017-6-19
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

CanonMax Posted at 2017-6-19 23:40

Max

Hi Max, either that or he hasn't uploaded his flight records to the Cloud yet...
2017-6-19
Use props
jakobnorway
lvl.1
Norway

CanonMax Posted at 2017-6-19 23:40

Max

Hi again,
update OK!
It seems to be DJI Assistant 2 making trouble . To others: Don't use it, do as Max said: use the DJI Go 4 O-N-L-Y, or you will sit for days, at least if you have MacBook Pro, as I have.
There is also a misunderstanding going on that one have to update RC before copter. In my case that was in fact impossible. RC stated it had the latest firmware until copter body was updated, then I got prompted to update RC.
But now: everything's fine!

Thanks again, Max!
best regards, Jakob
2017-6-20
Use props
CanonMax
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jakobnorway Posted at 2017-6-20 02:28
Hi again,
update OK!
It seems to be DJI Assistant 2 making trouble . To others: Don't use it, do as Max said: use the DJI Go 4 O-N-L-Y, or you will sit for days, at least if you have MacBook Pro, as I have.

ahhhhh that makes me happy to read the news, Jakob! Yup that's why I asked you if you were using DJI GO 4 app!! If you have more than one battery you should power up the whole system and you might get a message that you have to upgrade the batteries... Just do that!
Well done and indeed... In my opinion it is the best to update through the app...
and... to have a nice cold beer because it might take time

Happy flying and take care!

Max
2017-6-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jakobnorway Posted at 2017-6-20 02:28
Hi again,
update OK!

Hi Jakob. Don't agree with the first, but definitely the second. I will Only update the craft using Assistant 2, as the majority of issues I see is caused by network download contention, and so I'd rather rely on a wired connection than a wireless connection. That said, I do update the RC via the GO app (and wireless), and that's because it collects version information on start-up and will then tell me when it wants to do an upgrade. I suspect the reason the updates sometimes stop on download, is due to you and ,000s of others doing it at the same time. It would be worth DJI providing the option of a binary file download which allows you to do a local installation following that i.e. not relying on their servers.

Your second point is valid, and I did the craft first with a successful update. That's because, as said above, the app/RC will then be able to determine that it's out-of-sync with the craft and the LED will flash green/red to alert you to the requirement that the update is required.

All that being stated, I'm amazed at the variance with successful update of this release. I'm wondering whether both craft and RC should both be cleared back to default prior to upgrade. Bit late to try for me, and I'm not game to experiment as mine is OK...
2017-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules