Issue Trying to Update Firmware on P3P
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shakey Steve
lvl.1

Canada

I purchased a Phantom 3 Professional as a Christmas present in December 2016. We finally got to actually taking it out of the box and using it at the beginning of June 2017. We followed the instructions per the P3P manual we downloaded from your site. We downloaded the DJIGo iPhone app, but when we loaded it, it was asking to upgrade the firmware for both the drone and the remote control. So we followed the instructions and formatted the SD card to fat32 on our pc and unzipped the latest firmware for the P3P and installed the .bin file onto the SD card. We then put the card into the camera card reader and turned on the drone, but when it booted up, it would read the card for about 10 seconds then start flashing two yellow lights. Also the card reader on the camera would flash green for about 10 seconds then turn solid green, and would remain that way, updating nothing. We read some forum posts and some people recommended formatting the card with the DJIGo app, but when we tried that, the app came back with 'Cant format the card' error. We tried a few other micro SD cards that I had and got the same error. Is there a solution to this we can try, or is it necessary to send this back to get serviced?? As I said, this drone has been in the box for 5 months and has never been flown, so I assume it is still under warranty.
2017-6-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I wouldn't think it would require sending back in for service. Make sure the "bin" file is placed in the root directory of your sd-card. I have seen where the file is downloaded and people will copy it over to the sd-card, but it will be inside of a folder. This will not work, because the phantom doesn't look any farther than the root, and it will not update. Make sure you open the downloaded folder and copy only the "bin" file itself to the card. That may be why it is not updating.
The other thing is, because you are new to the hobby and probably aren't aware of this, your don't have to upgrade the firmware. Although many of us will stay up to date the firmware releases, it is not required and only "suggested". You should be able to fly just fine  without upgrading. You will continue to see the message though until it is upgraded. hope this helps you some.
2017-6-19
Use props
Shakey Steve
lvl.1

Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-6-19 06:23
I wouldn't think it would require sending back in for service. Make sure the "bin" file is placed in the root directory of your sd-card. I have seen where the file is downloaded and people will copy it over to the sd-card, but it will be inside of a folder. This will not work, because the phantom doesn't look any farther than the root, and it will not update. Make sure you open the downloaded folder and copy only the "bin" file itself to the card. That may be why it is not updating.
The other thing is, because you are new to the hobby and probably aren't aware of this, your don't have to upgrade the firmware. Although many of us will stay up to date the firmware releases, it is not required and only "suggested". You should be able to fly just fine  without upgrading. You will continue to see the message though until it is upgraded. hope this helps you some.

Yes, I copied only the .bin file onto the root directory of the SD card. I did this many times with 4 different SD cards and still the camera would stop reading after 10 seconds. As for not upgrading the firmware, I believe it needs this upgrade for both the drone and the RC for it to actually give me basic functionality for the camera, but I will check that when I get home from work today and report back details. Thanks.
2017-6-19
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Shakey Steve Posted at 2017-6-19 06:49
Yes, I copied only the .bin file onto the root directory of the SD card. I did this many times with 4 different SD cards and still the camera would stop reading after 10 seconds. As for not upgrading the firmware, I believe it needs this upgrade for both the drone and the RC for it to actually give me basic functionality for the camera, but I will check that when I get home from work today and report back details. Thanks.

Yes if you upgrade, you will have one for the phantom and one for the RC. And they have to be the correct ones for that version of the firmware. Not trying to confuse you, but they will not be the same versions for both. I hope that makes sense. To be clear, you can't just upgrade either one by itself, they cannot "hand-shake" and you won't get any communication between them. The Phantom should show the same as the firmware version, but the RC will be a different one. Which version are you on? You should be able to look in your app in the "about" section. Unless you have managed to upgrade one or the other, it should fly.
Also make sure you have the right one for your phantom. You have the P3P right. The firmware for the Advanced will not work because you have a 4K camera. Just trying to help you here, not trying to confuse you.
It would be hard to imagine, but if your phantom has an older version of firmware....I'm thinking like V1.3 or V1.4, or something like that, you cannot jump right up to V1.10. Just something to consider. Need to know what you are on for sure I guess. After version V1.5 or V1.6 I think is when you can go right to the latest version, and with those it is generally done through the app. But the old way by copying the bin file to the card should work if all else fails. Seems odd that if is just now being taken out of the box, it should work.
I'm guessing you can read the card on your computer ok right? Is there a text file? There should be. It should shows some info on what is going on, unless it simply doesn't even try to read the sd-card.
So, from what you are saying , you think it starts to read it for a couple seconds but then stops. If that is the case it sounds like there should be a text file there. You may see that it thinks the phantom is on the correct version. It should say something like "aborted", due to same version. The RC must be upgraded through your WiFi, even if your phantom is on the right version. It will not upgrade the RC from the sd-card in your aircraft. Hope this gives you some things to try. Good luck.
2017-6-19
Use props
Shakey Steve
lvl.1

Canada

Hopefully I will find time today to check and see if I can ignore the 'Error: upgrade' firmware messages, and fly this drone
2017-6-21
Use props
Shakey Steve
lvl.1

Canada

Shakey Steve Posted at 2017-6-21 04:27
Hopefully I will find time today to check and see if I can ignore the 'Error: upgrade' firmware messages, and fly this drone

Nope. Tried ignoring message but can't activate drone with remote. The only thing that seems to function is the camera, but when I checked the folders on the SD card, it doesn't create an error file when trying to update the firmware. Strange.
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules