Sport mode gimbal behaviour
2548 21 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Can I just ask the community about what would be expected normal behaviour for the Mavic gimbal in sport mode.

I only noticed this yesterday mind you, have to look at some of my older footage to see if it is there too.

But in sport mode at full forward sticks, the gimbal dropped the view to below the prop line in the image. Is this by design? After full forward stick if I back off, the gimbal stays at this lower height and I have to manually raise it.

I am also have some issues with the gimbal not keeping level very well........say for example, slowly rotating to capture a horizon type 360, I have a horizon that is really, never level

Mavic has very few flights and is only a couple of months old.......never bumped, bashed or crashed

J
2017-6-19
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Any thoughts guys? Just trying to work out if its is an issue or expected behaviour in sport mode

Thanks
J
2017-6-20
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I think it’s by design. I noticed the same. And a few of my friends tried their Mavics and they do the exact same.
2017-6-20
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

In order to get max speed (with full stick deflection), the Mavic will bank enough that the props show up in the image. This is normal.   When I am trying to get good video, I go very mild on the sticks.
2017-6-20
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ok......so its normal for the gimbal to shift downwards to take them out of shot?

And then to stay there once "normal service" is resumed?
2017-6-20
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Right guys.................I just checked some old footage where I am full sticks in sport mode and the gimbal does not do this.

In fact, you would be hard pressed knowing its in sport mode at all

Just tested it again and it is not right, no way.

Performed a gimbal calibration, no difference.

Checked all the gimbal mounts and they look fine, all in place and no jams or rubbing.

Going to roll the FW back one level and back up again (I am not at 800 yet btw) and see if that makes a difference.

Any other thoughts as to what I can try?

J
2017-6-21
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

have a look at my quick sports mode test here, hardly any gimble movement when i set off ?  im on the latest firmware .800
2017-6-21
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yeha. Mine does not do that. it has a spaz.

Used to be perfect, just like yours.

Dont have a vid right now as am firmwar'ing but you will see what I am up against :/

I really dont understand it. This thing has barely had any use and most certainly no abuse.
2017-6-21
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Jinjur Posted at 2017-6-21 12:34

same pal, had mine about 2 weeks and no damage yet, i collected some flies on the front arms tonight though in sport mode haha
2017-6-21
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Jinjur Posted at 2017-6-21 12:34

think i've seen someone post re this before and its like the gimbal drops a few degrees when sports mode starts going forward....i'm unsure of the outcome, but if you also have horizon issues it might be something up with it that DJI may need to take a look at ?
2017-6-21
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just to clarify buddy, you are full sticks forward in your video?
2017-6-21
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Jinjur Posted at 2017-6-21 12:43
Just to clarify buddy, you are full sticks forward in your video?

yes bud , I pulled off about half way and raised up a bit as i lost sight of it and didnt want it hitting the plants etc
2017-6-21
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ok, thanks for that. Something definately wrong.

Will see if i can upload the test i did this evening :/
2017-6-21
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

if the weather keeps good ill do another tomorrow to show you also
Edit - just checked my flight log, was actually 98% and reduced to 94% as I lifted up, here is a pic of my short run, the sports mode is the straight line at the end

IMG_0495.PNG
2017-6-21
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So, excuse the video.................i was just checking if it was still happening after a fw refresh to 700 and a gimble calibration.

No arty shots, just trying a bit of quick moving and look at what the gimbal is doing. In the first few seconds of the video i go full forward stick, the gimbal drops and stays down even when i stop.

Later on in the video i move the gimbal up and.....well..........it has a fit

This cannot be right, it definitely DID NOT do this in any of my other videos

2017-6-21
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
France

Jinjur Posted at 2017-6-21 15:35
So, excuse the video.................i was just checking if it was still happening after a fw refresh to 700 and a gimble calibration.

No arty shots, just trying a bit of quick moving and look at what the gimbal is doing. In the first few seconds of the video i go full forward stick, the gimbal drops and stays down even when i stop.

i've defo not had it like that, its a very noticable drop I can see on your vid
2017-6-21
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Jinjur Posted at 2017-6-21 15:35

I had exactly the same issue. In the past it used to be even worse by creating micro shakes when moving at full speed in sports mode. The micro shakes were gone with a firmware update but that hard movement at start did not. Have you enabled the option to tilt gimbal more than 30 degrees upwards? Maybe deactivating it could help.  

In my case,  I just tried to get used with it and not be very abrupt with the sticks.
2017-6-22
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi bud,

I hear where you are coming from.

But.....the way i see it. Its didn't used to do it and doesn't do it for everyone. So i don't want it to do it.

Have tried everything today, including jumping to v800. No change. Something is definitely wrong. It even happens at less than 100% sticks

Would be interested to hear DJI's take on this or should i just book it in?
2017-6-22
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Uploading a little test from today after all firmware updates etc.

I do a little left/right turn before I go forward in sport mode, you can see the camera drop brutally.......when i roll back and stop it does it again, and stays there.

I have to manually roll the gimbal up again and each time i do it, the camera drops and stays.

Just waiting for the upload. Would appreciate it it a DJI rep could have a look for me please?

J
2017-6-22
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2017-6-22
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I'd send that over to DJI if I were you..
2017-6-22
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

quick question.

I am filling in the return for this to be fixed.

what do i need to send with the drone?

can i get away with the drone on its own? no battery/remote etc

perhaps some of the mods or admins can advise?

2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules