10150 5 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi,

I have the P4 for about 2 months, only 4h25min of flying.

Every single time I was flying the drone, after IMU warming up I was doing a Compass Calibration. The calibration option was right there, on the Aircraft Status page.

Since I upgraded to the latest DJI GO 4 iOS app ver.4.1.2 I didn't see the option the Calibrate Compass button.
I was just taking a screen shots, indoor, and suddenly a Compass Calibration pop up showed up on my screen. Tapping to see the Aircraft Status the Calibration button is there again.

After running the Calibration the button is gone.

Is this "by design"? DJI isn't suggesting to run the Compass Calibration before any flight?

Aircraft Status

Aircraft Status
2017-6-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is no need to calibrate compass before each flight. In fact you run a higher risk of getting a bad calibration and all that might follow from that. The latest words of wisdom from DJI are to calibrate when advised by the system.
2017-6-19
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-19 07:00
There is no need to calibrate compass before each flight. In fact you run a higher risk of getting a bad calibration and all that might follow from that. The latest words of wisdom from DJI are to calibrate when advised by the system.

Thanks for your advise!
2017-6-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Callatis Posted at 2017-6-19 07:51
Thanks for your advise!

No problem, there's also a bit more discussion on This other thread if you need more detail.
2017-6-19
Use props
NeilRazdan
lvl.1
United States

I have a question about compas calibration also.  I have Phantom 4 Pro +.  I don't know if this is true for earlier versions of Phantom 4's or not.  In the settings for the remote control,, there is a procedure for Compas calibration also.  Which says that I have to turn the Remote Control clockwise (Not the craft itself).  I followed the direction, but it didn't say when to stop, or if it was calibrated.  Is that something that needs to be done while the craft is on? Or, must it be done outside?  Or, it is even necessary?  
2019-4-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

NeilRazdan Posted at 4-6 06:07
I have a question about compas calibration also.  I have Phantom 4 Pro +.  I don't know if this is true for earlier versions of Phantom 4's or not.  In the settings for the remote control,, there is a procedure for Compas calibration also.  Which says that I have to turn the Remote Control clockwise (Not the craft itself).  I followed the direction, but it didn't say when to stop, or if it was calibrated.  Is that something that needs to be done while the craft is on? Or, must it be done outside?  Or, it is even necessary?

That's for the compass in the display unit so it will show direction properly on the map and radar display.
It's only needed if directions are not showing properly.
You don't need to have the aircraft on to do it.
2019-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules