Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Motors, have you.....
3226 19 2017-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Actually worn out a Mavic motor just simply from use? Has anyone here have a Mavic with a damage/crash free life but simply wore out the motors/motor from just simply using it?
I'm actually pretty impressed with how small these motors are and the supposed durability. Those bearings must be small, and for a bearing that is maintenance free, and with the rpms they are subjected too, I'm surprised that we don't hear much news on these failing just from use.
So what's the deal with these little motors, so far I've done over 400km flying, how much time do they have left………………
2017-6-19
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

So I'm guessing by the lack of responses that no one has had any motors wear out from use.

Good.
2017-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sime Posted at 2017-6-21 00:22
So I'm guessing by the lack of responses that no one has had any motors wear out from use.

Good.

I'm sure you can buy from dji, strange only one motor worn down, it almost seems like you might fly in only one direction, I have seen many fly much further with no problems to motors, what makes you think it is a problem with motor wearing out?
2017-6-21
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

The problem is not the motors that will wear out. The bearings are the only components which will be exposed to wear, just keep an eye on the smoothness of the motors and the sounds they make. They should last for a very long time, but if the happen to fail (bearings) they are an easy fix.
2017-6-21
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
United States

Also, the best way to measure the life of this components is not by Km flown but by hours used. Like in an airplane, the engine maintenance is dictated by the hours of usage they have contrary to the fuselage which is measured in cycles.
2017-6-21
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

In response to Hallmark

Wow, now that's a bizarre take on what I asked.  Sometimes I wonder how people interpret what people write.
I simply asked if anyone has had worn out motors,  you know, from flying a lot. Yes these motors are good, but they will wear out at some point. There may be some people who have flown the crap out of one of these Mavics. I don't know?
And where on earth did you come up with the flying in one direction. What is actually wrong with the overall question?
Great, you say some people have flown further,  good, but it's still not the answer. Do you honestly think the small bearings in these motors will fly indefinitely? No they won't, hence the reason I asked the question.
Sorry to rant,but I find your answer to a very simple question to be a tad bizarre. .and I never said I had one motor only wear out either, where did you get that from.
2017-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sime Posted at 2017-6-21 03:22
In response to Hallmark

Wow, now that's a bizarre take on what I asked.  Sometimes I wonder how people interpret what people write.

Well then maybe when writing your post you could do it more clearer. Now when I read it again what you done was , write your header and this was also the beginning of your post.

I.e. Mavic motors have you..... Actually worn out a Mavic motor just simply from use.

What I read in your opening post. (Actually worn out a Mavic motor simply from use.)

So maybe if you just spelled it out properly.

I.e.  Has anyone worn out their Mavic motors just simply from using them.

Then you would have received a very different answer.

My answer would have been similar to what ACCY gave you, one thing I would have pointed to is the only way you can wear out your motors is simply by using them. ( do you know another way to wear them out)
2017-6-21
Use props
Panaceabeachbum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 871430 ft
United States

LOL, I wouldn't worry to much about Hallmark007 opinions on your post, he seems to jump to the conclusion that everyone is an idiot and that DJI can do no wrong, while the bulk of his responses are useful they are usually condescending and very DJI biased. Outside of consistently defeanding DJI they rarely answer the actual question posed.

Back on the subject of your original post I have wondered the same thing, HAS ANYONE WORN OUT A MAVIC MOTOR, Im approaching 400k on one of mine shows 26 hours of actual flight time, bearings will have to wear out at some point like all mechanical items.  So far only thing with any wear I have spotted is the hinge joints on the rear arms.

2017-6-21
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

By the way Hallmark, when all 4 motors start to reach their extinction, 1 of them will fail before the other 3, do you think all 4 will Fail at once?

But yes beachbum, I see the trend, and thanks for understanding a simple question.

It's not when they'll fail, but has anyone had failure from use yet, the drone is approaching 1 year old soon and I don't see many posts/YouTube vids of motor wear, which is a good thing. I just wish you could do bearing replacements on mavics easily and at any point in time you like. Is it possible, I don't know, but I've never seen a tutorial.
2017-6-21
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
United States

By doing some research, I do believe that the Mavic's bearings are ceramic. Normally this kind of bearing have a life factor of L10 which means they should last about 3000 hours of use at maximum design RPM.

Hope this helps!
2017-6-21
Use props
Sime
lvl.4
Australia

That's pretty good, cheers for that.
2017-6-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sime Posted at 2017-6-21 13:13
By the way Hallmark, when all 4 motors start to reach their extinction, 1 of them will fail before the other 3, do you think all 4 will Fail at once?

But yes beachbum, I see the trend, and thanks for understanding a simple question.

No I don't , but I use a MATRICE for work and if we have one bad or worn motor, procedure is to change all six.
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-22 02:24
No I don't , but I use a MATRICE for work and if we have one bad or worn motor, procedure is to change all six.

This is very common practice in regards to bearings within the industrial realm.  Early in my career I was an engineer at a Paper Mill where bearings were used on every dryer can (drum), once one went bad we replaced them all.  In the long run it limited "down-time".
2017-6-22
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

AACY Posted at 2017-6-21 03:18
Also, the best way to measure the life of this components is not by Km flown but by hours used. Like in an airplane, the engine maintenance is dictated by the hours of usage they have contrary to the fuselage which is measured in cycles.

Aircraft fuselage is measured in cycles, because of the compression/decompression to keep a breathable atmosphere inside the plane. Nothing you could relate to the mavic's "fuselage" as there's no pressure needed for our flights.

For durability I would say nobody could measure it in km or hours. Not every flight is the same, some pilots fly sports mode a lot, do rapid descents / ascents or changes of speed/direction, while others go slowly.. It really depends.

I honestly don't think anybody has anyway wasted his mavic already due to excessive use. It's been on the market for less than a year in the end...

2017-6-22
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-6-22 03:08
Aircraft fuselage is measured in cycles, because of the compression/decompression to keep a breathable atmosphere inside the plane. Nothing you could relate to the mavic's "fuselage" as there's no pressure needed for our flights.

For durability I would say nobody could measure it in km or hours. Not every flight is the same, some pilots fly sports mode a lot, do rapid descents / ascents or changes of speed/direction, while others go slowly.. It really depends.

If you re-read my post, I cited the fuselage as an example to show how in the same apparatus you can have 2 different indicators of the useful life of it and its components. Have you heard about fatigue by thermal cycling? This could explain a lot of the cracked battery cases and AC covers that people are seeing in their MAVIC's, this will be related directly to the flight cycles, which will expose the fuselage to different temperatures. So, yes flight cycles do affect the MAVIC not because of pressure (which was never intended to be said)but because of temperature.

But well, unless your last name is Shigley (he is dead btw) or you are some kind of undiscovered Mechanical Engineering Guru. The best way to measure life out of a part, component or final assembly is by usage time or cycles. This also applies to the MAVIC which from what I know does not fly because of magic or the power of wish. It's a mechanical apparatus and uses the principles of physics to which we are bound.

Cheers!
2017-6-22
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-22 02:24

Maybe I didn't got your meaning but. Why not replace the bearings only? of course if the stator, rotor, shaft and bobbins are good.
2017-6-22
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
First Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

51 hours and counting, I wouldn't worry about it.
2017-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AACY Posted at 2017-6-22 07:10
Maybe I didn't got your meaning but. Why not replace the bearings only? of course if the stator, rotor, shaft and bobbins are good.

It's company policy  it's much easier to change the whole motor they are inexpensive,
2017-6-22
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-22 09:48
It's company policy  it's much easier to change the whole motor they are inexpensive,

Putting it that way makes sense. Thanks for sharing!
2017-6-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Replacing a motor is definitely cheaper than replacing the whole bird when one seizes up and she bores into the concrete or whatever.  And yes.  If one needs replacing, they should all be done at once.
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules