Landing Issue
800 10 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9ae1b107
New
United States

So I was flying late afternoon, and went to land... the drone got about six inches from the ground, and I eased us on the stick, and it went up to two feet and then back down to about six inches, over and over.... I took it up to about 20 feet and attempted to land again, and the same thing happened.... tried it again... same result... finally I had to just keep in the stick till it hit the ground.... then it took 15 seconds for the rotors to quit spinning.... anyone experience this before?
2017-6-20
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you have to push the left stick full down and keep it down to stop the props.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans9ae1b107
New
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-6-20 12:48
I think you have to push the left stick full down and keep it down to stop the props.

Max,

I did do as you stated. I have been flying for a while, but something is not right after the update.
2017-6-20
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans9ae1b107 Posted at 2017-6-20 13:26
Max,

I did do as you stated. I have been flying for a while, but something is not right after the update.

In your original post, you said you eased up on the stick when you were six inches off the ground. What does that mean, exactly? Was the stick still in the "down" position, but the drone went up?
2017-6-20
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

It is normal to have a "ground cushion " effect when close to the ground.  I usually hover and slightly down the left stick to land then full down to cut off motors when I actually land.  Mostly though, I hand catch.
2017-6-20
Use props
fans86412d05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 691847 ft
United States

Yes, I had exactly the same thing happen. I was letting my (grown) daughter fly it and showing her how easy it was. As I was talking her through the landing, about a foot or so above the ground all of a sudden the P4 started bouncing up and down like a yoyo. I took control and flew it back up to about 20 feet, then carefully lowered it to the ground. I'm pretty sure it was right after I had done a software update on the aircraft itself. I don't really remember if I was able to associate it directly with the update or not, it was last year June. Hasn't happened since, or anything like it, but it was really whacky.
2017-6-20
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I had this problem EVERY time when I first got my P4. It was like a yoyo. I recalibrated everything a dozen times with no effect. Then DJI released a new version of the Assistant software and somehow the new VPS calibration pattern fixed it. So my suggestion would be to make sure you have the newest version of the software and then do a full recalibration - starting with IMU and moving on to VPS (on a decent screen) and so on.
2017-6-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Couple problems.  

It's very important that the OP is clear.

and I eased us on the stick

What does this mean?  It's best if the reader is not forced to make assumptions.

finally I had to just keep in the stick till it hit the ground....

Again - I can't be sure what this means.  

IMO, it's best to land fairly aggressively when coming down the last six inches or so.  Even when descending slowly and gently, I go full down elevator when I'm close to the ground and the AC lands perfectly.

2017-6-21
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I haven't landed on the ground in nearly a year, apart from an battery low emergency. Once you get used to hand catching, the ground seems like a hostile place to land your bird!!
2017-6-21
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

On ground landings, which I rarely, I bring the AC down to a foot off the ground, hover for a moment, then push the left stick all the way down and hold until the motors stop.  The purpose is to make a soft landing and the motors stop within a second or so.  If I slowly push the left stick down, the stick will not be the bottom position at touchdown causing uncontrollable bouncing.
2017-6-21
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

If you have anything under it mounted to the legs like a gimbal protector or drop rig or anything that blocks the bottom sensors it will yoyo like that. That will also void your warranty. If you dont have anything blocking the sensors then you most likely have a sonar sensor conflict of some kind. Could just be a glitch. Has it done it again?
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules