4207 23 2017-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Whirlygig
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98927 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

Yes I'm new and haven't introduced myself yet, but I have an important issue I could do with some URGENT help with.

Is it possible, (much like an iPhone) to 'switch off' a drone remotely, virtually 'bricking it'?
I am not talking shutting it down or switching off motors, I am talking preventing further use by thieves or persons in receipt of stolen goods?

On Sunday evening, I was flying my Mavic Pro near a reservoir dam. I will admit, technically there was a sign saying 'Authorized Personnel Only' but a well worn pedestrian access was available at the side of the gate. I thought I would venture through (the gate was about 150m from the dam and in a wooded area) but if I saw anything that I thought would cause an issue I would back out. When I got to the open area, there were only a few water company 'buildings' - small units containing their equipment I guess. The dam was built in 1906 and has some historical interest to the area.
I started off by taking some higher level shots showing the dam at the bottom of frame and the reservoir beyond. I then dropped down to the top of the dam as it has arches along its top which made for a nice framed shot. I suppose by this time I had been flying for about 6-8 minutes. Now, this place is in the countryside and I was alone. I heard rustling in the bushes to my left and two men appeared. Normally, my previous experience is people are inquistive and want to see what you are flying or photographing. But that wasn't how this went down. One asked if I had the landowners permission (aggressively), which I had to say no to. I asked if he was the landowner (well he didn't look like a water company official!) - he didn't answer the question but began a barrage of abuse and told me to get the drone down and that I wasn't leaving with it. He instructed the second man to grab it. As the drone was still up, I thought I would put it up to maximum altitude and fly it away, whilst walking away and bring it down in a public area the other side of the wooded area that I had walked through to access where I was. The verbal abuse continued and was accompanied by physical assault. I was body-bashed and shoulder-barged, stood in front of, pushed into stinging nettles and all sorts. I was accused of being a rapist "you rapists are all the same". This physical assault and verbal abuse was continuing way, way past the 'water company' gate, for perhaps a further 600-800m, lasting some 15 minutes I would say. This guy was still telling the other guy to grab the drone. I did get to an open (public footpath) area but it seemed that landing the drone was just going to end in them capturing the drone. Anyway, I was shoulder-barged so hard on one occassion the ipad became parted from the controller and I heard the controller tell me that the drone was 'returning to home'. I said it had crashed and asked who owned the field next to us, hoping to put them off the whereabouts of landing spot.
Now, I had (intended) to go out for just for a short time (whilst Windows did an update!) - I was only 4/5 miles from home and hadn't took my phone. I got to the main road and flagged down a passing car and asked them to call the Police. I waited about an hour an half he Police didn't show up - but that is a different story! (I have sinced had an appointment made for Wednesday at %L (no, not typo - I have a text message telling me how important their time is!!). Basically, 3 day response time to an assault/robbery!!
Anyway, whilst I was waiting for the Police, the Gamekeeper turned up. I told him what had happened and asked if we could go to retrieve the drone. He said he thought he might know who the culprits were. I explained how the drone would return to the landing point and precisley where that would be. He returned after 15-20 minutes and told me that he had seen the drone, exactly where I told him it would be and that it was safe. He left.
By this time, it was last light, I was on my own, without a phone and no sign of the Police. I felt vulnerable so I left to go home and get my phone. When I got home, I grabbed my phone and went to see my next door neighbour who is a Police Inspector in our county. His advice was to leave it to the Police to deal with/retrieve. He advised not to go back alone and/but due to his position, he could not get involved. I phoned the Police again to find out if they were sending anyone and how much longer they would be. I was told it would not be until the Monday when the morning shift came on, after 7:00am.
I went indoors and started a letter, addressed to 'The Landowner' basically setting out what had happened and why I would be re-entering the property. I intended to go back to try and retrieve the drone. With the letter, if I was stopped by anyone (e.g. the Gamekeeper/Police), I felt that I had good reason and cause to be there and this letter explained why.
At 2:00am, in the pitch black, and with balls-of-steel, I returned to where the drone took off from. I didn't use a torch and couldn't find the drone. I returned home, and then at first light 4:30am, I went back again. In the first light I could see that the drone was not there. So, quite clearly, the Gamekeeper has identified where the drone is and the scroats have taken it. They achieved what they had set out to do - take the drone from me. Through continued assault, I was unable to control and retrieve the drone. They have been able to walk up to where it took off from and just pick it up. The Police were called at a point when the drone could have been recovered - but they are coming 3 days later!

Do I stand a chance of recovery? - I very much doubt it...
Am I Pi55ed? You bet! I took out a 'Buy-Now-Pay-Later' option.

I guess a lot of you will think "I would have punched/fought back". True. Coming out bushes, they obviously knew the area. Their 'territory'. It is off the beaten track, I'm on my own, there is two of them, I have my hands full with Mavic controller/ipad. No phone. I hadn't even told my family where I was going - I didn't know where I was going when left home. Just 'out-with-the-drone' for half an hour is what I thought!

I have (recently landed) a good job (the Mavic was my 'well done' gift to myself for geting this job). If I was to get into trouble with the law I could loose my job.

I would have flown/done 'such-and-such' - really... when your suffering sustained assault, under those circumstances, in the middle of nowhere, with no backup, no wish to get in trouble.. you can't think straight...

Now, if anyone can tell me if it is possible to 'brick' my Mavic Pro, please lt me know!

Should I set up a 'Go-fund-me' page?

2017-6-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That's an awful long post. You can't disable, but if your firmware is up to date they may have to sign in to use it.
2017-6-20
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

I skipped to the last paragraph.  I cant see how you can remotely lock out the mavic.  It can be paired with many devices so seems impossible to me.
2017-6-20
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

btw, were you recording at the time?  if so, do you have the mic switched on in the dji app on the ipad and have you played back the footage?
2017-6-20
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man that sux. My initial thought, being American, was carry a handgun. But, I see you are in the UK. I thought the UK was pretty safe a place.
2017-6-20
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Long post but worth the read.  What a poopy outcome!  So sorry to hear...
2017-6-20
Use props
Six6Sics 4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164236 ft
Australia

I was genuinely compassionate about the OP and the situation until I read the "should I set up a Go Fund Me" - then the credibility went out the window..... Life deals you bad hands at time, deal with it - its not up to others to compensate you for your misfortune....
2017-6-20
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Home owners insurance cover this?
I always fly with a spotter/friend to spot for me if I am about to do something stupid,
or make an error, and it helps to deter events like what happend to you, getting strong armed/robbed.

Now as to the "Go-Fund-Me" page, i dunno 'bout that.....
2017-6-21
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

Wow. Did you happen to get an video of the 2 men as they were assaulting you? If your drone was coming in for a landing before the men decided they were going to take it. It would be stored on your ipad and may help you in getting it back from them if the police are going to help you. Your DjIGo4 app has the find my drone. Don't know if that will help you or not but if it was turned on would show the location of it. Being in the UK I don't much of your laws. I would think there would have to be someone on duty to help you regardless of the station being open or not.

As far as your go fund me page. Even though it is very unfortunate that this happened if it really did. It could be a case of I was flying were I wasn't allowed and crashed my drone. Now I can't get to it because the sign says "Authorized Personal Only" .  I would hope that someone wouldn't make up something like this just to get people to feel sorry for them. But I've seen people go pretty low to get free stuff.
2017-6-21
Use props
Whirlygig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

Ooh, looks like my tongue-in-cheek remark didn't hit the right spot... The 'Go-Fund-Me' suggestion was made because whenever I hear people have disasters I hear them say it. To me, this is a disaster, but I'm not after free stuff. I don't do social media, Facebook, Twitter or anything, I'm not digitally 'with-it' - I only pick up bits from my 11 year old son. Sorry if my comment came across wrong and caused offence.

Video... I was in photo mode. I haven't used the drone much and I am still trying to get to grips with it. And, as I said, when you are in the situation of being threatened, perhaps you don't think straight. I never thought to switch to video, but to be honest, to make it capture anything, you need to be in control - and that was something I was not in a position to do, not being continually bashed and barged. As for the ipad, that got dropped. Okay, it is only dented. I never use my ipad camera. It was only after waiting for the Police for so long and I needed to write down a car registration number that it dawned on me I had the ipad camera.

Household insurance may be the way to go. But if the Police are able to make a case, the insurance might say wait to see if it goes to court. I don't know. It isn't the sort of thing that I have previous experience of.

Someone mentioned the fact you have to  register your e-mail to the drone. Can this just be wiped by a new owner (sic). Or do you have to go through DJI?
2017-6-21
Use props
Whirlygig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I guess from some of the replies people were thinking I was trying to pull a fast one.

I was assaulted over a period of about 15 minutes from the take off point to where you see the drone return to home, and then a bit more.

Being on my own, against two obviously violent people, without a phone, in the middle of nowhere, I was scared...
I think the person that assaukted me and took the drone came from the building on the left of the image...

It is now in the hands of the Police.
005.jpg
2017-6-21
Use props
FlyingLocksmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154206 ft
Sweden

Maybe they were up to no good, or had a 'grow' locally and were concerned you had footage of it/them?
2017-6-25
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

Why didn't the game keeper grab the drone when he saw it.  Doesn't make sense to me???
2017-6-25
Use props
Whirlygig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2017-6-25 13:28
Why didn't the game keeper grab the drone when he saw it.  Doesn't make sense to me???

He 'didn't want to get involved'.
2017-7-18
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

The drone is not very usable w/o the remote. Watch the local flea markets along with ebay and similar sites. Be sure to show the police proof of purchase along with the serial number.

It doesn't sound like the local police are very cooperative ( or even competent), but you should ask them to contact DJI.  DJI sometimes responds to law enforcement authorities but almost never to registered owners.  

Good luck!
2017-7-18
Use props
Whirlygig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

[UPDATE] - The guy who assaulted me and took the drone was invited in for a formal Police interview under caution. He arrived at the police station with.... my drone! It was missing it's battery though. He claimed to have found it some way away from where it should have landed and where the Police had searched (despite having been seen by an independent witness!). The Police did not believe his story.

However, everything outwardly suggested the drone had landed safely and was in good condition otherwise. No damaged props or body; even the SD card was still there! My suspicion is that the perpetrator had removed the battery having realised it was GPS trackable (but not so clever the think it would only do so while there was charge in it!). On powering up the Mavic I got a 'Gimble Overload' error. Looking at the prices of repair I decided to take a chance and bought a ribbon cable. I spent an evening replacing the cable which, was evidently broken, but I have successfully fixed my Mavic. Still, down by one battery though. Having repaired the Mavic, I have had other problems calibrating it, but that will be another thread. (resolved)

As for the guy who assaulted me - it was his word against mine (well actually his and his son). The police are not pursuing any further.

At some point the Mavic started recording a video (which might have shown something as evidence) but on retrieval - the video file seems corrupted.

In some ways a positive outcome, in other ways not. Such is life.....
2017-7-25
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Well now that you know who the perps are... might be time for a little revenge.
2017-7-25
Use props
Bird JER
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55075 ft
United States

Happy to hear you weren't seriously hurt and your drone was recovered. Unfortunately in the UK "force multipliers" aren't legal as they are here in most of the states. After reading your saga I will be definitely carrying my force multiplier when I'm flying by myself.  As far as the police response or lack there of, it can happen anywhere.

Fly safe.
2017-7-25
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Set up a "go fund me page" why?
You own a Mavic all you had to do is put it up in the air and go where you can't(shouldn't) go.  Bad judgement on your side.  Sorry it happened to you, but lesson learned.  Take this with a grain of salt.

You got a good job, now go and buy yourself another one.
2017-7-25
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-7-25 20:14
Set up a "go fund me page" why?
You own a Mavic all you had to do is put it up in the air and go where you can't(shouldn't) go.  Bad judgement on your side.  Sorry it happened to you, but lesson learned.  Take this with a grain of salt.

Lucas, did you not read the rest of the thread??

He has already confirmed that he has his drone back, has completed repairs himself and that the comment about "go fund me" was a poorly timed joke/attempt at humor based on the fact that everyone seems to think they have a right to get other people their problems.
2017-7-25
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-7-25 22:46

He has already confirmed that he has his drone back, has completed repairs himself and that the comment about "go fund me" was a poorly timed joke/attempt at humor based on the fact that everyone seems to think they have a right to get other people their problems.

my apologies, I stop reading after the long arse first story.  again I apologize for any wrong doing.
2017-7-26
Use props
Whirlygig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-7-25 22:46

Thank-you GSI_IRE.

Somebody who has taken the time to read and understand.

Too many TLDR leave stupid comments but end up making themselves look foolish.
2017-7-26
Use props
Whirlygig
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-7-25 17:40
Well now that you know who the perps are... might be time for a little revenge.

Couldn't possibly comment
2017-7-26
Use props
Route77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

Be interesting to know which area you are in, so I can avoid, I usually like to fly in secluded spots, there is nothing worse being pestered by folk when you go to a park or public field. I am joining my local RC Club soon, so can fly in their areas, their spots are less secluded and they have more than one, get's a bit boring looking at hills and empty areas all the time.
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules