Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does the GoPro App interfere with Phantom control?
9493 7 2015-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
emjayef
lvl.1

United States

I'm having problems running the GoPro App while flying my Phantom 1.  The App seems to cancel out my control connection with the drone and it goes into failsafe mode and returns home.  The drone flies just fine without using the App.  If this is a problem, why wasn't I told of this BEFORE I purchased the drone?  There is a lot of hype about using the GoPro and the App with these drones, but nothing about this problem.
2015-3-15
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes. GoPro wifi is 2.4Ghz as is the controller on the P1. It's almost certain it will encounter interference. Best to turn the wifi off the GoPro.
GoPros are used for obvious reasons, mainly the range of gimbals I suspect but they are not affiliated to DJI as a company.
2015-3-15
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

This problem is well known! You are lucky that you are still in possession of your Phantom!

It might work if your drone was a 5.8Ghz  (the FC40 is) or if your cam could switch to 5.8Chz (many cameras can do this, not sure about GP)
2015-3-15
Use props
emjayef
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the input.  I guess I am lucky that it returned to home without incidence.  What I've learned from this is not to believe anything DJI and their dealers say about their products.  The operation of the camera with a smartphone was a big selling point.  If only it was true!  What about the Phantom 2 Vision +?  It comes with its own camera that also has smartphone control.  Does it have the same problem?  The drone operates on a different frequency, but the camera is also different.  How is one to know?  You obviously can't believe what DJI or their dealers say.  
2015-3-15
Use props
nig_smith
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The Vision, Vision Plus, and FC40 defy convention and use 5.8GHz for control and a 2.4GHz WiFi link to stream video back to the smart device from the proprietary cameras. The Phantom 2 uses the same system as your Phantom 1. If you want reliable FPV you will need to fit a separate analog video transmitter, usually on 5.8GHz, and use a separate monitor or goggles. Some screens and most goggles have the 5.8GHz receiver built in. Be careful when choosing a 5.8GHz setup as there are some differences between manufacturers. The Immersion RC, or Fatshark, use 8 Channels on one segment of 5.8GHz and the older Boscam system uses 8 channels on a different segment. The newer Boscam and Skyzone have a 32 Channel capability with some cross manufacturer capability.

What you experienced with your Phantom is commonly known as co-channel interference. This is when two devices use the same frequency allocation and interfere with one another. It is possible to have two systems operating at the same time, such as a regular 2.4GHz control from the transmitter and the 2.4GHz Groundstation but these use a technology known as frequency hopping, or Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum, where the carrier jumps to a clean channel  many times a second within the allocation. A WiFi signal occupies a relatively large bandwidth on a fixed channel and therefore, when your Phantom is some distance away, will block the signals from your transmitter causing in your case, and very luckily, the Return To Home to kick in.

Regards

Nidge

2015-3-17
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nig_smith@o2.co Posted at 2015-3-17 19:20
The Vision, Vision Plus, and FC40 defy convention and use 5.8GHz for control and a 2.4GHz WiFi link  ...

Great explanation I must say.
2015-3-17
Use props
emjayef
lvl.1

United States

nig_smith@o2.co Posted at 2015-3-17 19:20
The Vision, Vision Plus, and FC40 defy convention and use 5.8GHz for control and a 2.4GHz WiFi link  ...

Thank you for this really great explanation and the advice.  I appreciate the time you took to share this information with me.  I'm at the point where I'm not sure I understand everything I know about these things, and this is a big help in narrowing that gap.
2015-3-17
Use props
nig_smith
lvl.4

United Kingdom

emjayef@yahoo.c Posted at 2015-3-18 05:10
Thank you for this really great explanation and the advice.  I appreciate the time you took to sha ...

No problem, glad to help.

I must admit to an error in my explanation.

I referenced Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum, or DSSS, for continuity I should have also included Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum , FHSS.

Different manufacturers refer to it in different ways e.g Futaba call their system FASST or Future Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology,  DJI employ FASST in their more recent Phantom receivers. FrSky, the makers of the Taranis Transmitter, call it ACCST or Advanced Continuous Channel Shifting Technology.

Spektrum have their DSM2 and DSMX systems which employ DSSS. DSM2 is reputed to be unreliable, especially over any appreciable distance, as it's not very robust in RF noisy environments and is only really used now in some of the cheap Bind and Fly Park Flyers. HobbyKing have cloned the technology and use it in their budget Orange Receiver Range, they also do a couple of Futaba FASST clones also.
Interestingly the composer George Anthell and actress Hedy Lamarr held US patents for Spread Spectrum For their work on communication systems for guided torpedoes during the Second World War.

Regards

Nidge.
2015-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules