Odd Reflection/Line in footage while using camera bubble
3416 17 2017-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcathro
New
Canada

I just picked up my Mavic and am loving it, except for one thing. While using the protective bubble housing for the camera, no matter the lighting conditions, I get a really (glare?) line across the bottom of my footage. It is a curved line in the bottom left of the footage as seen below.
**Did not adjust video settings at all, as this was my first ever flight. Please do not comment on how poorly my settings are setup. (or my flying (: )**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzl1KFeX_78&t=172s

2017-6-21
Use props
Acciaro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139085 ft
Latvia

It's normal. That line is reflection of the gimbal on the protective bubble. For good picture fly without protective bubble, use it only while learning how to fly.
2017-6-21
Use props
jcathro
New
Canada

Acciaro Posted at 2017-6-21 12:06
It's normal. That line is reflection of the gimbal on the protective bubble. For good picture fly without protective bubble, use it only while learning how to fly.

Makes sense, thanks!
2017-6-21
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

Acciaro Posted at 2017-6-21 12:06

I second this, its great advice.
2017-6-21
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I think this is NOT glare.  There seems to be some other issue. If it were glare, it would change as you rotate the aircraft.  Even when you are facing away from the sun, it is there and doesn't move, other than wobbling around.  Something is internally or externally hanging there.  It jiggles when you move and gets more extreme when you start/stop.  Your color is also a bit strange, but take care of the major problem first.  And no, you should not fly with the clear bubble on, but it won't cause what you see there if you do.  You will see glare in bright sun, looking into the sun, or even at angles to the sun.  But you won't see if without the sun hitting the clear bubble at some angle.  Also, the glare will move as you rotate the aircraft's azimuth.
2017-6-21
Use props
jcathro
New
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-21 14:50
I think this is NOT glare.  There seems to be some other issue. If it were glare, it would change as you rotate the aircraft.  Even when you are facing away from the sun, it is there and doesn't move, other than wobbling around.  Something is internally or externally hanging there.  It jiggles when you move and gets more extreme when you start/stop.  Your color is also a bit strange, but take care of the major problem first.  And no, you should not fly with the clear bubble on, but it won't cause what you see there if you do.  You will see glare in bright sun, looking into the sun, or even at angles to the sun.  But you won't see if without the sun hitting the clear bubble at some angle.  Also, the glare will move as you rotate the aircraft's azimuth.

But is it possible that it is not so much the glare, and more so just the reflection of the camera in the bubble? I'd be curious to see other people's footage with the bubble on. As for the colour, it is awful because this is straight out of the box, with no settings changed whatsoever.
2017-6-21
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

it is a reflection of the gimbal/camera, look at all the shaking. and it is normal, fly without it.
2017-6-21
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I don't fly with the bubble on for this reason, you can use one of these however to add protection and you won't get the issue; http://amzn.to/2sX7bQi
2017-6-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

jcathro Posted at 2017-6-21 22:04
But is it possible that it is not so much the glare, and more so just the reflection of the camera in the bubble? I'd be curious to see other people's footage with the bubble on. As for the colour, it is awful because this is straight out of the box, with no settings changed whatsoever.

There have been many videos posted with the clear protector on, but nothing like that shows up.  Look around in the forum and you'll find several.  That loop at the lower left portion seems to be something physical that doesn't move around much, other than the vibration.  Glare from the clear bubble is quite predictable and controllable.  It doesn't move unless you change your angle to the light source.  It is very similar to lens flare on a real camera.

As for the color, it seems to have a lot of magenta in some of it, but it is not even and not in all of the video.  Mine is right out of the box and has pretty good color as is.  I changed the sharpness one tick, but otherwise it it box-stock still.  I also shoot mostly at -.3 exposure, depending on subject and current light, but almost never zero.  I haven't played with manual exposure too much on it yet.  I've been concentrating on some specific tasks that I need it to do, and learning some of the newer automated stuff.  That said I sure wish they would give us complete control over ATTI mode. I really miss it after the P3.
2017-6-22
Use props
jcathro
New
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-22 06:04
There have been many videos posted with the clear protector on, but nothing like that shows up.  Look around in the forum and you'll find several.  That loop at the lower left portion seems to be something physical that doesn't move around much, other than the vibration.  Glare from the clear bubble is quite predictable and controllable.  It doesn't move unless you change your angle to the light source.  It is very similar to lens flare on a real camera.

As for the color, it seems to have a lot of magenta in some of it, but it is not even and not in all of the video.  Mine is right out of the box and has pretty good color as is.  I changed the sharpness one tick, but otherwise it it box-stock still.  I also shoot mostly at -.3 exposure, depending on subject and current light, but almost never zero.  I haven't played with manual exposure too much on it yet.  I've been concentrating on some specific tasks that I need it to do, and learning some of the newer automated stuff.  That said I sure wish they would give us complete control over ATTI mode. I really miss it after the P3.

The issue is resolved when I remove the bubble, so it has to be the bubble.
2017-6-22
Use props
jcathro
New
Canada

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-22 06:04

Here is a screenshot from a flight about 5 minutes later than the original video. Although the ISO is jacked up due to the settings being left alone, I don't seem to see the issue anymore. I think the magentas are because there was a really orange/pink sunset that night that the camera is not capturing due to it being over exposed.

I have now read articles explaining what you are saying, however.This one, for example, is suggesting there is a camera defect that DJI will warranty. Not sure what do do in this situation because it seems to be just the bubble causing me issues. Also heard warranty takes AGES.
2017-6-22
Use props
jcathro
New
Canada

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 12.20.00 AM.png
Said photo from above reply, as it did not seem to attach properly.

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 12.20.00 AM.png
2017-6-22
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

If you wish to fly with the bubble on get yourself a polarizing filter. It will eliminate reflections.
2017-6-22
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

I think the cover needs to be off to ensure the fans/vents behind the gimble get air passing through for cooling etc....just a heads up
2017-6-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

jcathro Posted at 2017-6-22 22:03

Well, that's that then.  I wonder if it was on straight?  I've never seen that, and especially with that reflection on the left side remaining in one place as it is rotated.  Learned something.  Thank you.  I may  have to try a flight with mine on to see how it acts under similar conditions.  I've never flown with it on.

After looking at the article you linked to in your later post, that is more what I was talking about.  Interesting that they probably had a batch of them that did it.  

Good luck and fly safe!
2017-6-23
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Get a cover like "Bradders" above mentioned. You will still get some protection (the gimbal is always the weakest link in/on any aircraft), it
will allow more than adequate ventilation, and you won't get that reflection/flare effect on your vids.
Just pay attention to what you choose to buy, some are 3d printed, and look like, well, your dog knows......
You want the molded units.
2017-6-23
Use props
fansad9e3ff2
New
United States

jcathro Posted at 2017-6-22 22:03

I have the same issue.  Worse early/late sun.  Resolves when the bubble is removed.  Planned on ordering the polarization filters anyway.  Hope it helps.  Guess i will fly sans dome.

https://vimeo.com/224830117
2017-7-9
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same issue and initially started to panic because of this link ->

https://refinedimpact.com/mavic-pro-glare/

Then I calmed down and removed the bubble, and the line disappeared.   Videos have been flawless since I started flying without the bubble.   Just to double check, I did some Google searches and found this video...he discovers the same.

Net...bubble = reflection/glare.

LP
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules