Spark a Flop?
2328 19 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ispy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148301 ft
United States

I didn't want to post this on the Spark forum because it seems like chaos over there but I have been watching it just to see what first reactions and reviews are and so far I don't see a reason to buy one... Anyone have a differing opinion?
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I actually own 2 of them (Sparks)...yeah they have some issues, mainly WIFI related.  IMO, I think that many of the Sparks were sold to existing Mavic & Phantom owners, thus they are trying to compare the Spark to those platforms.
2017-6-22
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I own a spark and a Mavic and honestly I think its a really good drone from DJI, When you look at the combo its around £13-1400 and the spark combo is only £700 around half the price of the Mavic, I know it has a short range however its still a more than capable drone and has some very nice shooting modes like shallow focus and pano
2017-6-22
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-22 07:07
I own a spark and a Mavic and honestly I think its a really good drone from DJI, When you look at the combo its around £13-1400 and the spark combo is only £700 around half the price of the Mavic, I know it has a short range however its still a more than capable drone and has some very nice shooting modes like shallow focus and pano

Why is a $500 drone better at taking video (without post work) than a 1K drone ?  I get that mavic is 4K but as yet I've not seen anything near that with muddy focus and multiple settings doing odd things...
2017-6-22
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why does anybody expect a point and shoot copter like Spark doing works like a DSLR camera quality copter like Phantom or Mavic? And for $500? It's a selfie drone for crying out loud.
2017-6-22
Use props
Ispy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148301 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-6-22 09:11
Why does anybody expect a point and shoot copter like Spark doing works like a DSLR camera quality copter like Phantom or Mavic? And for $500? It's a selfie drone for crying out loud.

Consider the price points. Mavic (USD 1,000) = 4k, 4mi Range, RC included, 30min battery and the Spark (USD 500) = 1080p, 100m Range, RC not included, 16 min battery. If I'm paying half the price I want half the quality and the spark seems to me to be less than half the quality.
2017-6-22
Use props
13MStang
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892749 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-6-22 09:11

the Mavic IS NOT in the same league as a DSLR.   its a flying iPhone at best.
Please do not make the mistake of thinking Mavic is DSLR  quality.

2017-6-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

There's a Spark forum?  Then why are there so many Spark postings here?  Please take it to the correct forum!
2017-6-22
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ispy Posted at 2017-6-22 09:26
Consider the price points. Mavic (USD 1,000) = 4k, 4mi Range, RC included, 30min battery and the Spark (USD 500) = 1080p, 100m Range, RC not included, 16 min battery. If I'm paying half the price I want half the quality and the spark seems to me to be less than half the quality.

Law of diminishing returns ???
2017-6-22
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Ispy Posted at 2017-6-22 09:26

Mavic 30 minute battery? Surely you jest.
2017-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Ispy , I suppose it depends what you compare it to, I have been using it for a week now, here's what I think.
For its size it's the fastest Pocket Rocket around its handling and response are incredible, does it go far well it flys 500 meters high and 1.2miles and its only the size of a phone, its obstacle avoidance is incredibly sharp, breaking in sport mode is spot on.

It's 1080 is really crisp it is fully sharp focused all the time and most amateur Mavic photographers who have been crying out for this type of footage would give their left arm for this on the Mavic, no blurry jello on this little busy bee.

Yes it being compared to Mavic but it really doesn't need this, spark is a very different drone than Mavic .

Problems yes with new features these need refinement and with new firmware I believe this will happen, there are some problems with connection to wifi and remote wifi but these are not insurmountable and much of what you read is new users coming to terms with this new technology.

You say you were reading first reactions and this is what was forming your opinion, well if new Mavic purchasers were to go back and read first forum reviews and reactions and the endless camera problems that were supposed to Be plaguing the Mavic , then no one would have bought the Mavic .
2017-6-22
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it already time for the "Is (insert new DJI product name) a flop?" postings?  Man this product launch is going much faster than previous ones!
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-6-22 11:28
Is it already time for the "Is (insert new DJI product name) a flop?" postings?  Man this product launch is going much faster than previous ones!

I agree compare to the Mavic debacle. Gotta give them (DJI) a chance to work out the "bugs"
2017-6-22
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

I read many great reviews on the Spark. It is about giving the technology a chance to work plus what you are looking for. Since I am a big fan of the Mavic, I don't see any reason not to consider the Spark as well.
2017-6-22
Use props
oscar-dk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Its a fun toy and selfie cam. That´s it.
2017-6-22
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I've looked in the spark forum and its problems are nothing compared to the Mavic's on release. Remember the random flying off to the side and crashing?
2017-6-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

oscar-dk Posted at 2017-6-22 12:08
Its a fun toy and selfie cam. That´s it.

Your right that's generally what it is, but I have seen many great photographs and thousands of really good videos from phone photography, and we should see some great ones from this spark, but with the real advantages of aerial photography.

A good spark photographer will always be able to get better results on a spark than a poor photographer on a Mavic phantom or inspire.
2017-6-22
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Agree, all of the videos I've seen on reviews, imo, the 1080 on the Spark is better than the 1080 on the Mavic. I want a Spark simply for sport mode, after the novelty of filming on the Mavic wore off, I spend more time now flying the drone in close proximity to me, and I think as a flyer, the spark will be more fun.
2017-6-22
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-22 12:32
Your right that's generally what it is, but I have seen many great photographs and thousands of really good videos from phone photography, and we should see some great ones from this spark, but with the real advantages of aerial photography.

A good spark photographer will always be able to get better results on a spark than a poor photographer on a Mavic phantom or inspire.

I agree it's the person behind the camera, in our case, behind the remote controller rather than the camera/copter itself.
2017-6-22
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The photos I have got with my Spark beat anything with my Mavic, this new panorama mode is incredible and creates fantastic shots
2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules