Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dji spark multiple gimbal errors
20247 39 2017-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
x4uPNF13qJHB
New
Belgium

So i've received my spark fly more combo pack and fresh out of the box, after doing the updates, the system gives multiple gimbal errors: gimbal motor overloaded, gimbal motor protection, gimbal rotation error and gimbal joint angle sensor initialization error.

I can't fly the drone because the gimbal doesn't work at al.

Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions?  I'm asking here because dji support is taking forever to respond...
http://K

[media=x,760,570]http://K[/media]
IMG_1863.PNG
2017-6-22
Use props
fans606073d3
New
United States

Something to consider, not sure if this is what is causing it or not........When the DJI Spark is powered on then the gimbal is actively trying to stay level as that is what it is supposed to do.  If you turn the drone over, twist it around, etc then you are causing the gimbal to also move to remain level.  You can demonstrate this just by turning it on holding it level and looking at the camera while to gently rock it side to side....you will see the camera moving as the gimbal maintains a level position.  If you pick up the drone while powered on and make extreme movements (which are really not that extreme to you but they are to the gimbal) then the gimbal is going to hit the physical stops in one or more of the two available axis it moves and then you have a Gimbal Overload condition.  I recommend you always hold your drone level while it is powered on.  If you need to flip it over or twist it around....turn it off first.
2017-6-22
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is definitely a support issue
2017-6-22
Use props
x4uPNF13qJHB
New
Belgium

Fans606073d3, when I power on the spark, the gimbal always starts vibrating (turning very fast) like crazy, hitting the psysical stops multiple times. It does this for about 3-4 seconds. After that the gimbal doesn't try to stay level or anything. It just hangs still and isn't trying to maintain a level position.
2017-6-22
Use props
fanscf1ce6f4
New

United States

x4uPNF13qJHB Posted at 2017-6-22 20:23
Fans606073d3, when I power on the spark, the gimbal always starts vibrating (turning very fast) like crazy, hitting the psysical stops multiple times. It does this for about 3-4 seconds. After that the gimbal doesn't try to stay level or anything. It just hangs still and isn't trying to maintain a level position.

Sounds like failed hardware.  DJI should replace it.
2017-6-22
Use props
fans7666527f
lvl.1
Luxembourg

x4uPNF13qJHB Posted at 2017-6-22 20:23

My spark has exactly the same problem.
2017-6-28
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12267 ft
Germany

I also have exactly the same issue since very first time.  When switching on, the gimbal shakes hefty for 2 seconds, gimbal motor overload warnings and multiple gimbal errors as shown above.
What I figured out, but need to test again tomorrow, is that you can set all gimbal calibration 0, and then center the gimbal carefully with your hand in both axis while keeping the drone switched on. After having  manually centered the gimbal, you can take off and the gimbal remains centered fine.
I don't think it is a software issue. The cause might be, that the drones'  gimbal adjustment mechanic is not a fix connection, but rather a kind of loose one. That would explain why at some drones, you need to center the midpoitn manually...
2017-6-28
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Germany

Did anybody found a solution yet? Guess there are many drones with this issue. Is there any official DJI response?
2017-6-29
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Germany

Hi there, I somehow managed to get the Gimbal working aigain! I was so desperat, just did not want to send the brand new long awaited drone back. So I tried setting back to older firmware, didn't fix it. Then updated again to current firmware, didn't fix it. Lastly, and I'm not sure if that did the trick, I did the resetting by pushing the batteries power on button, while drone was switched on, for 9 sec until you hear all 3 D-D-D. For some  reason, afterwards the Gimbal works perfectly fine. Hope you guys might be able to fix it the same way, most likely by just doing the last resetting step. Let me know.
2017-6-29
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Germany

One addition: too early I thought it wad fixed. After next switch on, the error (gimbal heavy shaking during booting followed by gimbal overload). Also the resetting etc. didn't fix it. Advit appears to be an issue wirh the initialization of the gimbal position sensors, I tried several things, by coincidence it worked if I switched on the drone while holding it upside-down in my hand and slowly moved it a bit during booting. Then Gimbal didn't stark shaking and finally the gimbal moved as it is supposed to be, balancing out the tilt and roll of the drone body. Hope that works now more permanently
2017-6-29
Use props
Dek2001
New
Germany

Hi, i got the spark yesterday and I have the gimbal issue.  I have a solution, which works everytime for me, but it is a little weird.
Turn the spark on the back and start it. After a few seconds the gimbal is centered and you can turn the spark back and the gimbal works correct.
You havve to do this every time, when you start.
2017-6-30
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Germany

Yes, that same procedure is the only solution so far for my drone as well...
2017-6-30
Use props
fans7666527f
lvl.1
Luxembourg

Is this something that could be addressed with a new firmware you think?
2017-6-30
Use props
Angelo26
Second Officer
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Seems that DJI - even more than with Mavic Pro - sells a product that is neither well constructed nor undergoes quality control nor is finished in it´s development ................................... Just selling an overprized mostely defective product ................. I sent mine back for refund, don´t wanna play Alpha-tester for DJI any more as I was doing with Mavic Pro ..................

Even if Spark would work it doesn´t work as advertised. I can have quick selfies in 1080 much cheaper and more reliable with a pocket drone and for vid-projects I have to fight with my Mavic Pro and constantly crashing DJI GO 4 ........................
2017-6-30
Use props
fans7666527f
lvl.1
Luxembourg

I am trying to return my spark due to this defect but man they make it complicated to even let me know where and how to send it. I had to mail them serial numbers of spark, gimbal (does not even have one), batteries, controller, photos of invoice, delivery receipt, my address, phone number... all information that they should already have themselves, and despite the fact that I opted for refund already one day after receipt. Is that regular procedure? Do they want to make it extra complicated to return defective items?
2017-7-1
Use props
Barunaba
New
United States

I'm having trouble with my Spark's gimbal also, only in my case there are no errors showing inside the software as in the OP's screenshot. Rather, the gimbal is completely non-responsive and does not move at all in either axis. Using the controller's hardware dial or the software's gimbal pitch control makes no difference. The gimbal was working perfectly fine before this and the camera still works, it just doesn't move. The reset steps above did not work (although I have yet to try reinstalling the DJI GO app). Without being a technician myself I feel this is a hardware issue, perhaps the connection between the gimbal and the rest of the drone becoming loose. Has anyone else seen these symptoms, and what did you do to fix it? This is a huge bummer as I'm about to leave on vacation and I was really hoping to take the drone.
2017-7-2
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Germany

Barunaba Posted at 2017-7-2 07:34
I'm having trouble with my Spark's gimbal also, only in my case there are no errors showing inside the software as in the OP's screenshot. Rather, the gimbal is completely non-responsive and does not move at all in either axis. Using the controller's hardware dial or the software's gimbal pitch control makes no difference. The gimbal was working perfectly fine before this and the camera still works, it just doesn't move. The reset steps above did not work (although I have yet to try reinstalling the DJI GO app). Without being a technician myself I feel this is a hardware issue, perhaps the connection between the gimbal and the rest of the drone becoming loose. Has anyone else seen these symptoms, and what did you do to fix it? This is a huge bummer as I'm about to leave on vacation and I was really hoping to take the drone.

Have you tried to hold the drone upside-down while switching it on until it booted completely, like for 10sec? For me and others, this is the only way to switch on the spark without causing gimbal errors.
2017-7-2
Use props
fansa4f21b96
lvl.3
Germany

Have you tried to to hold the drone upside-down while switching on until fully booted, like for ~10sec? That is for me and many others the only way to switch on spark without causing the gimbal errors...
2017-7-2
Use props
x4uPNF13qJHB
New
Belgium

Yeah i've sent my drone back for a refund: never in my life have I seen such a BAD customer service!! I've already sent like 20 mails for a replacement, I got so tired of mailing back and forward that I just asked a refund. And even that is something that they seem to have problems with. They don't give answers to your questions and just reply the same stuff over and over again. Never again will I buy a product from their site. And I'm not planning on turning my spark upside down everytime I turn it on. But thanks for the advice guys!
2017-7-3
Use props
fans503b3095
New
United States

Dek2001 Posted at 2017-6-30 13:02
Hi, i got the spark yesterday and I have the gimbal issue.  I have a solution, which works everytime for me, but it is a little weird.
Turn the spark on the back and start it. After a few seconds the gimbal is centered and you can turn the spark back and the gimbal works correct.
You havve to do this every time, when you start.

I have this gimbal issue as well. Thanks for sharing as this has worked for me as well.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans7666527f
lvl.1
Luxembourg

x4uPNF13qJHB Posted at 2017-7-3 13:17
Yeah i've sent my drone back for a refund: never in my life have I seen such a BAD customer service!! I've already sent like 20 mails for a replacement, I got so tired of mailing back and forward that I just asked a refund. And even that is something that they seem to have problems with. They don't give answers to your questions and just reply the same stuff over and over again. Never again will I buy a product from their site. And I'm not planning on turning my spark upside down everytime I turn it on. But thanks for the advice guys!

Yes I have the same problem. DJI breach fundamentally against European law according to which they must allow cancellation, even without a defect, within two weeks upon receipt. DJI also told me that IF they finally will tell me the address for return, which they have not done yet, I will have to pay the shipping cost. This is also illegal according to European law. Luckily I paid via PayPal and have opened a conflict case. They did not respond to PayPals request for information. I now told them that I will report them to the European authorities to hopefully get them banned from business in Europe. I cannot recommend anyone to buy from DJI directly, and I will never ever buy something from them again.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans7666527f
lvl.1
Germany

These people have a good sense of humor: Now they ask me what I think of their customer service. They have sent me a defective spark for which I have paid a lot of money, and despite around 20 e-mails they haven't given me the information how and where to return it, and if they will refund me.
2017-7-6
Use props
Madwand
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

I had the gimbal overload error right out of the package.  I called the DJI phone number and they advised me to use the DJI Assistant 2 on the PC and reinstall the firmware update.  This solved the problem.  They are exceedingly difficult to talk to and understand and they always seem to be overtalking me, but if you persist, you can make them listen and eventually help you.
2017-8-16
Use props
fans5d33d13f
New
Flight distance : 16175 ft
Indonesia

same problem with my brand new spark (just 2 days old and only 3 flights. The gimbal is locked! just not moving.. the message says Gimbal overload.. nothing works!!
2017-8-22
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans5d33d13f Posted at 2017-8-22 02:28
same problem with my brand new spark (just 2 days old and only 3 flights. The gimbal is locked! just not moving.. the message says Gimbal overload.. nothing works!!

does it respond to gimbal pitch and roll changes in the DJI Go 4
2017-8-22
Use props
Sinclair48K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29409 ft
United Kingdom

fans5d33d13f Posted at 2017-8-22 02:28

Have you updated to the latest firmware. I had the problem the first time iI tried it outside this weekend and I was placing it on soft grass. Thought the gimbal had been impeded from moving by touching the grass. I moved it onto the case itself and a few seconds later the message went. Has been fine sinc, but only had a few flights, have also just updated to the latest firmware and will see.
2017-8-22
Use props
fans5d33d13f
New
Indonesia

Sinclair48K Posted at 2017-8-22 03:29
Have you updated to the latest firmware. I had the problem the first time iI tried it outside this weekend and I was placing it on soft grass. Thought the gimbal had been impeded from moving by touching the grass. I moved it onto the case itself and a few seconds later the message went. Has been fine sinc, but only had a few flights, have also just updated to the latest firmware and will see.

Thanks for the tip.. will try it tomorrow...
2017-8-22
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

The same thing happened to me. I had 3 flights with no problems and then on my 4th I started noticing that my video feed to my phone was jerky. Shortly after I received the gimbal overload error. Then the gimbal stopped working completely. It is now on its way back to dji. I only had it for a day.
2017-8-22
Use props
Shafanjum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5154 ft
India

Hi, my spark works fine, but it hit to a small leave ( very minor) and now i am getting glimbal issue..when i switch on thr glimbal start shaking fastly with sound it seems somthing wrong!! This is my 3rd day with spark..can any one help?
2017-8-23
Use props
Shafanjum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5154 ft
India

Hi, today is my 3rd dat with my spark. I am having issue as my glimbal shaking  and vibrating fasltt soon i swich on my spark! Can any 1 help? Thr was a minor crash to leafs during RTH , moreover i am experiencing a warning msg as compass error r
2017-8-23
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.1
United States

Shafanjum Posted at 2017-8-23 00:51
Hi, today is my 3rd dat with my spark. I am having issue as my glimbal shaking  and vibrating fasltt soon i swich on my spark! Can any 1 help? Thr was a minor crash to leafs during RTH , moreover i am experiencing a warning msg as compass error r

I am not dure about the gimbal but you calibrate the compass by going into the settings and look for sensor state. Clicking into that will vring you to imu and compass calibrations. If you havent done already, I highly recommend calibrating the drone.
2017-8-23
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192930 ft
Spain

Goatherdervt Posted at 2017-8-22 17:41
The same thing happened to me. I had 3 flights with no problems and then on my 4th I started noticing that my video feed to my phone was jerky. Shortly after I received the gimbal overload error. Then the gimbal stopped working completely. It is now on its way back to dji. I only had it for a day.

Damn, I had more or less the same problem, but I got the "gimbal overload" message before, then restarted AC and went away, but in the next flight and the other one I'm having video issues in my phone. Damn! I'll check again tomorrow. I only have it for 3 days and 5 or 6 flights...
2017-8-23
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.1
United States

Nemroig Posted at 2017-8-23 15:32
Damn, I had more or less the same problem, but I got the "gimbal overload" message before, then restarted AC and went away, but in the next flight and the other one I'm having video issues in my phone. Damn! I'll check again tomorrow. I only have it for 3 days and 5 or 6 flights...

I just received notification that my spark will be fixed under warranty.  Thank you dji.
2017-8-29
Use props
fans5d33d13f
New
Singapore

Sinclair48K Posted at 2017-8-22 03:29

The problem seems to be random.. after the above post I flew the spark 6 times, 2 times had the same problem, but when I changed the battery the problem got resolved.. Once I just switched off and on, the problem was gone.  

Also despite having all GPS locked, and a successful flight, after landing the app shows as GPS error - calibrate or move aircraft.  Calibration fails multiple times and moving aircraft does not resolve the issue. But I did observe the the top of the Spark is really hot..  Not sure if the heat is effecting.. Because after some time (about 45min or so, when I switch on the spark, the GPS is all OK..
2017-8-30
Use props
djiuser_oWBiXUG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36250 ft
Jamaica

I am having a similar issue. New Spark less than a week old 12 flights. Upon startup everything seems to be fine, gimbal and camera work fine. After a few minutes of flight and or with any distance between the drone and RC I get the "gimbal overload warning", twitching in video and the gimbal up/down freezes up. It will often start working again if I fly the drone in close to the RC, Very frustrating. Anyone have similar issues and have you found a fix.
2017-9-3
Use props
Bruno Galev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13645 ft
Brazil

I have a Spark and the gimbal pitch has stopped working.
Gimbal Motor Overloaded and Gimbal Motor Protection warnings appear.
When I turn off the drone the camera moves gently up and down by pushing with the finger. When turning on the drone and moving the camera down, the gimbal's position indicator goes down but the camera does not, if at this point I push the camera down with my finger, it moves. I installed the new version of software and went back to the old version, now I have the most current version. How should I proceed to resolve this?
2017-11-1
Use props
fans1b87954d
New

Brazil

Bom dia meu spark não Love mais a câmera me ajudem estou desesperado do nada depois da atualização do iOS e reinstalação ele parou o que faço
2949DE58-4CE9-4ECB-BD8F-68B4634AAC12.png
42B0C588-7206-4389-9D2B-6C4EEC83F70F.png
2017-12-17
Use props
Rywebster
lvl.1

Australia

I got my first error 1:12 into my Spark's first flight saying 'Gimbal Motor Overload', since then the gimbal has failed on 37 of the 40 flights it has had according to the Go 4 app data. I have tried everything, launching from the case or my hand, landing it and restarting the drone when it occurs, try not to fly in sport mode, bought a gimbal protector for when it's in its case, cleaning it with compressed air...nothing works!! Seems like there is a fundamental flaw that the gimbal motor is simply not up to the task it was supposed to do. Currently in a battle with the store I bought it from trying to get a refund as I have lost complete faith in the Spark model.
2018-5-26
Use props
JDavidTX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604495 ft
United States

I would say there's something wrong with it.  It should work fine with no issues out of the box.  Not saying that one can't slip past QC every now and then.  But you shouldn't have to stand on one leg while facing south at high noon and chant to the moon to make it work.  If it was a new purchase I would take it back and exchange it if possible or contact DJI to repair or replace.  And yes contacting DJI (I've only done it by email) can be a little frustrating with repetitive emails, questions, and answers but you'll eventually get there with some patients.
2018-5-26
Use props
Joller79 DK
First Officer
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Well, my main spark had some gimbal errors, but after small crashes...the reason is, the gimbal gets tight, due to a small cover on the back of it, that shifts a tiny bit... Fix, just push it with my nail....in preflight chech, remember gimbal, it has to move freely.
2018-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules