it's a shame
1773 19 2015-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bob_kelly_2003
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8425 ft

United Kingdom

Just a little dicussion about laws etc about flying drones and if they are the same in every country.

I initially bought the Inspire One to allow me to do some aerial photos and videos for people ranging from al types of activities, from group shots to property management etc.

Only be thrown into the deep end with costs of Permissions etc, it's mad as hell that you can fly something personally within certain laws, for us (not sure if it's the same everywhere) in the UK :

• An unmanned aircraft must never be flown beyond the normal unaided "line of sight" of the person operating it - this is generally measured as 500m (1,640ft)horizontally or 400ft (122m) vertically
  • An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m (164ft) distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure
  • An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must not be flown within 150m (492ft) of a congested area or large group of people, such as a sporting event or concert
  • For commercial purposes, operators must have permission to fly a drone from the CAA

So for me to take photos and videos of things and for me to take payment I have to complete a 2 day course which will cost me £800 to get a BNUC certificate after completeing a few hours of flying, plus a sitting multiple choice exam, then apply to the CAA which is a further £113 for the Inspire size, before I can take any payment for anything.

It's a shame that you can fly personally which is fine, obviously within certain heights etc, but as soon as you take payment for a flight it's a whole different story.

What is everyones oppinion on this kind of thing?
Does it spoil it for people?

And do you think if I was to offer my service via my website for FREE but offer a donation service i.e. they can donate for the work, would this be the same as me technically giving someone a price based on what they want me to do?

Thoughts everyone

2015-3-15
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I suspect this will be the template in the USA as well...

The distances they demand is a deal killer for many wanting to use this commercially...
I'm thinking on the same line as you donating all footage  as well ...
I have to agree this is a very big grey area for many thinking of using this for commercial uses.

I bet many stay a hobbits and take tips if that's possible..???
2015-3-15
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
Hong Kong

Unfortunately, those rules are the result of all the stupid behaviours we can see everyday on youtube...
And enjoy it as it is, because I am sure it will be more and more restricted in the future. I would bet than in a couple of years the use of those machines will be strictly reserved to professionals.
2015-3-15
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

It's even worse in Australia.  The common sense laws are about the same but if I want to fly for commercial purposes I would have to spend about $10k and 6 months as it's almost the same effort as getting a private pilots license!   I don't want to fly a full scale plane I just want to be able to get paid for getting great shots on my drone!
2015-3-15
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-3-16 10:33
Unfortunately, those rules are the result of all the stupid behaviours we can see everyday on youtub ...

I disagree. I think drones will be like the internet was in the 80s and now is part of our day to day lives.
2015-3-15
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Everyday I see people flying into controlled airspace or over crowded areas with no contingency plans at all. What will happen when a 777 will crash in short final because a stupid drone pilot thought it would be great to have close shots of a 300 passengers plane?
There is no parallel with the internet at all...
that is why I insist that everyone of us fly within respect of the local laws and practice, with the required licenses and approval of local authorities.
2015-3-15
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Do ordinary photographers need a lic in order to take pictures with a camera or likewise?

2015-3-15
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Hong Kong

No but they do not fly 3 kilograms camera tens of meter above people neither...
Does any private pilot ask why they need to have a ppl license to fly a light airplane? I do not think so.
2015-3-15
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-3-16 12:32
No but they do not fly 3 kilograms camera tens of meter above people neither...
Does any private pil ...

Only asking..wow
I meant as a professional taking photo's
2015-3-15
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

At least where i am in Canada the rules have been clarified i carry with myself the pdf printout from Ministry of Transport website showing the restrictions and tips for hobbyists . Actually i have taped it in a ziplock bag below the remote.
2015-3-15
Use props
owen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 267316 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting, but I can't see anywhere, the BNUC cert for £800, could you tell me which company was offering it at this price?

many thanks
2015-3-15
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

owen@digitalplu Posted at 2015-3-16 15:39
Interesting, but I can't see anywhere, the BNUC cert for £800, could you tell me which company was  ...

EuroUSC will provide the ground exam for £800+, can't remember the exact amount. You then need to take the flight test which is another £350. You also need to provide your insurance policy number when submitting your Ops manual to the CAA for your certificate. Insurance price range, but it around the £600 mark. So its a little short of £2000 to get up and running commercially.
2015-3-16
Use props
info.gerdschelf
lvl.1

Belgium

the current law don't ask you for PPL level of education on flying a drone. I have a PPL(H) and can tell you it's much more complicated. And hope I will never meet a drone during flight.
But by giving a course I hope some people get some idea how dangerous it is to go high, far away and above people.

Even if you would do the job for free, this is not allowed. Law says that any flying with commercial 'intention' is forbidden. The same counts for PPL license. If you would like to use this as a pro you need an C-PPL (commercial).  
2015-3-16
Use props
bolwerk.arnold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12238 ft
Germany

Rules, rules, rules........................................................

It's not only in the UK, but also in the Netherlands. For example as a private person I can fly my I1 up to 300 meters BUT when I fly it for commercial use, I can bring her up to only 100 meters . So people who work on daily base with a drone, read "are more experianced", are limited in using using there drone.

Personly I think it would to turn it around..................... It would be much saver..........

Buttom line is respect the local restrictions of flying with a drone.
2015-3-16
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

We have all seen the amazing photos of fires and racing down 6 lane highways parallel to airport runways and other feats that would not have been possible several years ago. Unfortunately, it also makes a strong case that there are people out there who have no regard for the safety of others and that we do require rules, regulations and training to fly these amazing birds.   The training being offered so far in Canada makes a lot of sense. CCUVS in Medicine Hat Alberta offer a 2 day course for a reasonable amount of coin and provide a basic relevant amount of knowledge in flight physics, VHF Radio, Meteorology and Gov Regs as well air space use...I see nothing wrong in this type of common sense training that we all should have.  We have to be accountable for our actions driving a car and there are rules, regulations and licensing surrounding driving...I see lots of reasons on the internet as to why we should be held accountable for our actions in the air flying our UAVS....
2015-3-16
Use props
SkyDen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31152 ft
United States

I am actually in agreement of the rules you have in the UK and hope that is what they put in place here in the US.  The cost isn't to prohibitive nor is the time commitment.  Frankly, as someone who holds professional pilots license in both rotorcraft and fixed wing and flew professionally for 17 years, these restrictions help keep us in business and safe.  Right now it is a free for all and only a matter of time before some 15 year old hits a plane and ruins it for us all.  The fee and time of the class help weed out the weekend warriors and protects what we all love.
2015-3-16
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Fully agree with you two guys, when you can spend 3000eur on a toy, you can spend some more to be within the laws.
For the professionals, I do not even think that the question should be asked.

Sorry for my english(you all know the frenchies reputation in that matter!) but it is probably the first time that I see a comment about safety that needs to be supported!

Fly safe(or do not fly anymore soon)
2015-3-16
Use props
info.gerdschelf
lvl.1

Belgium

Agree with Alex.
Correction for the private model . I think you are only allowed to fly model aircraft (model plane/helicopter/drone) on a specific space like an official model club. (in Belgian law). Means you are not allowed to fly even in your own garden.

2015-3-16
Use props
info.gerdschelf
lvl.1

Belgium

I hit an eagle once on the canopy with the helicopter.. A drone hitting a real aircraft is a little change on survival. And helicopters are allowed to fly min 150 feet AGL outside suburban area. So be responsible and stay lower then 150 AGL.
2015-3-16
Use props
bob_kelly_2003
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8425 ft

United Kingdom

I do 100% beleive that it is the people who fly irresponsibly that cause these laws etc.  I just think the cost of it all to fly commercially is abit expensive, for something you could really class as a toy.

Whether or not it flys, how many propellors it has etc, there are plenty of other flying RC things out there that can do the same if not more than a I1 for example.

The cost for permissions etc i think is a little to high, sending someone on a kind of awareness course I think is suffcient enough. But to have to sit exams pay excessive fee's, are they actually trying to put people off flying drones at all. On the other hand though, I suppose commercially there is always a cost at starting a business and if getting permissions means to take business off, then I gues I will have to bite the bullet and do what I have to do to get things rolling.
2015-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules