Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom came back half repaired
1294 16 2017-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zsolti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

Hello. I've sent my drone in for repairs exactly one month ago and it arrived back today and I'm having mixed feelings about what I got. The drone had a few cracks on the shell, but that was not the reason why I sent it in. The camera was blurry on the left side of the videos and photos, but only the shell was replaced and the camera came back untouched. DJI support advised me to send the drone back and I clearly mentioned in my repair case what the issue was, but for some reason the camera wasn't fixed. This is what I wrote in my case and included it in the package:

"Blurry/Out of focus left side in videos and pictures. Raw images and  pictures:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ug68y ... ubDFDFdH6ZhSFa?dl=0  There  are two cracks under the rear left arm of the aircraft. Please do not  replace/repair the cracked shell if it's not covered under warranty."

I'm not sure if there was a misunderstanding or the repair team deemed the camera to be okay?

CAS-661560-C9B2Y6

2017-6-23
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just checked your case,  the drone has been replaced under warranty and we've tested the replacement before it is shipped. If the replacement has the same issue, could you please provide some original images or videos  for diagnosis?
2017-6-23
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-23 02:45
Just checked your case,  the drone has been replaced under warranty and we've tested the replacement before it is shipped. If the replacement has the same issue, could you please provide some original images or videos  for diagnosis?

Sure, here's the first video I took with it today. The left side is blurry while the center and right side are sharp. I thought the camera wasn't fixed, because the issue seems to be the same

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bngqn7hk61h16z/DJI_0255.MP4?dl=0
2017-6-23
Use props
cprevost
lvl.1

United States

Hard to see any difference between the left and right sides. For a minute I thought I saw a difference when the camera was pointed towards the houses but when the camera moved again everything looked the same.
2017-6-23
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

cprevost Posted at 2017-6-23 08:19
Hard to see any difference between the left and right sides. For a minute I thought I saw a difference when the camera was pointed towards the houses but when the camera moved again everything looked the same.

It is visible when there's more detail in the image, e.g. houses. You can see how objects in the middle and right are in focus and when the camera moves and these objects fall in the left side of the image, they are not in focus anymore.

Maybe I'm too picky about this, but anyway, thanks for looking at it
2017-6-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zsolti Posted at 2017-6-23 08:31
It is visible when there's more detail in the image, e.g. houses. You can see how objects in the middle and right are in focus and when the camera moves and these objects fall in the left side of the image, they are not in focus anymore.

Maybe I'm too picky about this, but anyway, thanks for looking at it

You must have good eyes :-)

Had you not said then it would hardly be noticeable, but I would agree, about the first 15% of the screen down the left hand edge is just a 'thought' out of focus. I suppose the UV filter and lens are clean ?
2017-6-23
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-23 09:42
You must have good eyes :-)

Had you not said then it would hardly be noticeable, but I would agree, about the first 15% of the screen down the left hand edge is just a 'thought' out of focus. I suppose the UV filter and lens are clean ?

Yes, the lens are clean, no UV filter on the Standard camera.
2017-6-23
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

Here's another video I took today, this time in full hd.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idbdjf1uz9qznog/DJI_0302.MP4?dl=0
2017-6-24
Use props
cprevost
lvl.1

United States

Ha, you spooked a fox at the base of that power tower. All of the footage looks low quality. Not sure if dropbox compresses the footage or if my browser is somehow doing something?
2017-6-24
Use props
cprevost
lvl.1

United States

Downloaded the footage and it played better. The left edge is worse than the right. Mime is soft on both edges.
2017-6-24
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

cprevost Posted at 2017-6-24 17:15
Downloaded the footage and it played better. The left edge is worse than the right. Mime is soft on both edges.

It seems to be a common issue on the Standards then. The fox didn't see or hear the drone, because there were some generators going under the tower, she was probably used to the buzzing sounds hehe
2017-6-25
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

What should I do now? Send it back and hope the replacement won't have the same fault?
2017-6-26
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

I have checked the Serial Number of the camera on original box of the drone and it turns out that the camera wasn't replaced at all, because the "replacement" drone has the same serial number on it's camera. It looks like the body was changed, but the camera wasn't. I have contacted support again and they've sent me an RMA form and I will send the drone back in again, hopefully solving the out of focus camera issue this time.

2017-6-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Zsolti Posted at 2017-6-28 10:36
I have checked the Serial Number of the camera on original box of the drone and it turns out that the camera wasn't replaced at all, because the "replacement" drone has the same serial number on it's camera. It looks like the body was changed, but the camera wasn't. I have contacted support again and they've sent me an RMA form and I will send the drone back in again, hopefully solving the out of focus camera issue this time.
[view_image]
[view_image]

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll keep an eye on it as well. Hope you can get the drone back to fly and enjoy it soon, thanks for your support.
2017-6-28
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

I'm a pro photographer and just looked at you video, even on my large studio screen the image looks good right across the monitor. there is some minor distortion due to the wide angle of the lens, but that is normal on wide angle lenses.
2017-6-28
Use props
Zsolti
lvl.4
Romania

Daveb500 Posted at 2017-6-28 23:05
I'm a pro photographer and just looked at you video, even on my large studio screen the image looks good right across the monitor. there is some minor distortion due to the wide angle of the lens, but that is normal on wide angle lenses.

If the wide angle is the culprit then other Standards should have the exact same issue, but it's not the case. Some people have an out of focus area in the center of the image, others on the right or in one of the corners and some don't have any. I would also like to have a look at one of your raw images just for the sake of comparing
2017-6-29
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

Zsolti Posted at 2017-6-29 00:01
If the wide angle is the culprit then other Standards should have the exact same issue, but it's not the case. Some people have an out of focus area in the center of the image, others on the right or in one of the corners and some don't have any. I would also like to have a look at one of your raw images just for the sake of comparing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nikontog/34931554490/in/dateposted/

not quite  raw image

2017-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules