Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xavier1984
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1634843 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Hi,
Is it any speed limitation when the Phantom 4 Pro fly at low altitude (<5 meters) in normal mode with all sensors activated ?
I'm using a Phantom 4 Pro with an IOS device.
Thank you in advance for the confirmation.
2017-6-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

With "all sensors activated" do you mean also the infrared side sensors? They are only active in Beginner mode and Tripod mode... in Tripod mode the speed is limited to 5.6 mph (at whatever altitude) . Otherwise, there are no forced limitations, but read carefully the manual because with obstacle sensing you should not exceed certain speeds in order to allow for sufficient braking distance...
2017-6-23
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-23 04:31
With "all sensors activated" do you mean also the infrared side sensors? They are only active in Beginner mode and Tripod mode... in Tripod mode the speed is limited to 5.6 mph (at whatever altitude) . Otherwise, there are no forced limitations, but read carefully the manual because with obstacle sensing you should not exceed certain speeds in order to allow for sufficient braking distance...

I mean in "normal mode" not tripod or beginner mode. I have made some tests few days ago and if i fly at 1-2 meters the drone's speed is about 15kmh and if i increase the height it accelerate.

If i remind well, when the drone is at a low altitude it enter in a "landing mode". Perhaps there is a speed limitation -> i'm note sure and i don't find the info in the documentation.
2017-6-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can tell you this is exactly what I experience in normal mode with my P4P also.  Basically, when I am flying perhaps less than 3 meters (my estimate may be off) from the ground, the AC does not fly in any direction at a  speed of more than a crawl. But once I increase height, I can fly in any  direction at full speed. I had assumed this was intentional by design, but after reading Antonio76's reply, I am not so sure. So far, it does not bother me though.
2017-6-23
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-6-23 05:52
I can tell you this is exactly what I experience in normal mode with my P4P also.  Basically, when I am flying perhaps less than 3 meters (my estimate may  be off) from the ground, the AC does not fly in any direction at a  speed of more than a crawl. But once I increase height, I can fly in any  direction at full speed. I had assumed this was intentional by design, but after reading Antonio76's reply, I am not so sure. So far, it does not bother me though.

For me, it seems that i have the same behavior than you ! between 0 - 2 meters the max speed is 10-15kmh and above full speed.

Mainly i ask this because i test some low altitude passage ;-)
2017-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No just whatever your limit is in p mode, you might be better turning off VPS or you could find craft jumping up and down if ground is uneven or dark surface or lack of texture.
2017-6-23
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-23 06:27
No just whatever your limit is in p mode, you might be better turning off VPS or you could find craft jumping up and down if ground is uneven or dark surface or lack of texture.

Thanks for the advise ;-)
2017-6-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-6-23 06:10
For me, it seems that i have the same behavior than you ! between 0 - 2 meters the max speed is 10-15kmh and above full speed.

Mainly i ask this because i test some low altitude passage ;-)

I may conduct a few tests today and record the screen so I can be sure.
2017-6-23
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-6-23 06:36
I may conduct a few tests today and record the screen so I can be sure.

Yes with pleasure !
Check in normale mode with VPS at 1-2 meters and higher just to be sure :-)
2017-6-23
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Xavier1984 Posted at 2017-6-23 04:54
I mean in "normal mode" not tripod or beginner mode. I have made some tests few days ago and if i fly at 1-2 meters the drone's speed is about 15kmh and if i increase the height it accelerate.

If i remind well, when the drone is at a low altitude it enter in a "landing mode". Perhaps there is a speed limitation -> i'm note sure and i don't find the info in the documentation.

or maybe it is an inbuilt -but undocumented-  limit to avoid collisions with people... As soon as I get some good weather I'll test it too and report
2017-6-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My money would be on the Obstacle Avoidance starting to limit the speed rather than the VPS system. If I remember correctly the OA in the P4P is a bit more advanced than that of the P4, in as much as it uses images from the main camera in its calculations as to whether or not it thinks there is an obstacle coming up.
2017-6-23
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-23 08:40
or maybe it is an inbuilt -but undocumented-  limit to avoid collisions with people... As soon as I get some good weather I'll test it too and report

Thanks, same for me :-)
2017-6-23
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-23 08:53
My money would be on the Obstacle Avoidance starting to limit the speed rather than the VPS system. If I remember correctly the OA in the P4P is a bit more advanced than that of the P4, in as much as it uses images from the main camera in its calculations as to whether or not it thinks there is an obstacle coming up.

You're perhaps right ! The AC detect the ground as obstacle perhaps due to the angle of the drone and limit the speed. I need to test / play a little bit more to well understand the process.
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules