Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Goggles - Immersed with "Out Of Focus" Problems - Mike Mas
13368 76 2017-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_JkVmlXR
lvl.1
United States

Being new to the drone world, take my opinion as what it is worth.  I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro and the DJI goggles hoping to have 1st person flying experience.  After 1 day of flying i rarely use the goggles.  You cannot use the goggles with a tablet, so many, many functions of the drone are lost when using the goggles.  Secondly, the focus issue. Third, while using the goggles no one else can view the camera picture. Fourth, in humid conditions the goggles fog terribly.  If you have a controller with the HDMI out you can use the tablet for flying and have a second person use the goggles for viewing...but the head tracking will not work.
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI User845
New
United States

Very disappointing... I'm heading to Walmart to spend even more $$$,  this is the final challenge that I will tolerate before returning them to DJI... I hope I can fix this because the system is just not nearly the same without them working right...I'll let you all know...
2017-8-12
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1153681 ft
United States

highman.btinter Posted at 2017-6-26 02:45
i hope the crystal sky ultra i ordered is readable in full glaring sunlight or that will be canceled to. Am awaiting reviews of that and may end up cancelling it seems dji is becoming a apple clone

You are exactly RIGHT about being an Apple Clone!! Every problem I have called Support over I would get the same crap! (You need to use a apple Tablet) or Phone....I couldn't believe it! Now the US Govt. Army and Navy have Stopped all Flights and Testing with any DJI DRONE AND ANY OF IT'S OTHER PRODUCTS! that was just ordered on the 2nd of this month.....Hmmmmmmmmmmm what does that tell ya!!

2017-8-12
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

GreyBird Posted at 2017-7-15 20:46
Can you post a link ? They have multiple versions and I don't want to waste money AND time !  

Thanks !

They only have 1 set that are adjustable and it's in the isle where they sell that AS SEEN ON TV CRAP!
2017-8-12
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

No unauth modification posts allowedPosts will be removed with no warning
2017-8-13
Use props
P4PCommander
lvl.4
United States

P4PCommander Posted at 2017-8-13 17:24
No unauth modification posts allowedPosts will be removed with no warning

I wonder why DJI hasn't taken down all posts on buying Glasses to fix their problem on the Focus Issue of their Goggles!!! isn't that a Modification to their Goggles??   LOL
2017-8-13
Use props
Dont Wanna
lvl.1
Flight distance : 365377 ft
United States

Hi, I was like everyone else here who has Out Of Focus problem. This is just another alternative way that worked for me. Did not know how long before someone else comes out with the same idea so I tried it and now using my goggles every day. even if it's just for 10 mins. The truth has I hated them when I got them.But now they are a part of me. I have built a few single screen FPV goggles from scratch with fans and all.  So I am not new to them.  No way I was going to spend another $34 for the corrective lens set up. Or want to wear reading glasses at all and which cost, even more, light to come in from the side. And try cleaning those $34 lenses when they get fogged up.  Just too much trouble to take them out of the frame and back without dropping them.  So here is my fix but under $6. And I am sure there are many outher fixes out there! Just passing the info on, It worked great for me, Hope it works for you.
Happy and Safe Flying.
FIXING-MY-DJI-GOGGLES
2017-8-16
Use props
HomePoint
First Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dont Wanna Posted at 2017-8-16 09:50
Hi, I was like everyone else here who has Out Of Focus problem. This is just another alternative way that worked for me. Did not know how long before someone else comes out with the same idea so I tried it and now using my goggles every day. even if it's just for 10 mins. The truth has I hated them when I got them.But now they are a part of me. I have built a few single screen FPV goggles from scratch with fans and all.  So I am not new to them.  No way I was going to spend another $34 for the corrective lens set up. Or want to wear reading glasses at all and which cost, even more, light to come in from the side. And try cleaning those $34 lenses when they get fogged up.  Just too much trouble to take them out of the frame and back without dropping them.  So here is my fix but under $6. And I am sure there are many outher fixes out there! Just passing the info on, It worked great for me, Hope it works for you.
Happy and Safe Flying.
FIXING-MY-DJI-GOGGLES

404 not found, was looking forward to see what you had done here.
2017-8-20
Use props
fans11489028
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

i bought a pair of "snap in place" glasses. they are called "focus fixers" . they are made specifically for the dji goggles. around 40 dollars plus shipping.
2017-8-20
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4780 ft
Canada

Mir Posted at 2017-6-23 15:04
You can't really compare DJI goggles to 3d goggles such as Oculus. They work completely differently, for completely different purposes.

The reason you don't have this problem in 3d goggles such as PSVR is because your eyes are focused much further in a 3d setting, for example you're in a 3d dungeon with monsters, your eyes are focused at that actual distance depending on what you're looking at.

Referring to a poll taken a few months ago, most DJI drone pilots are over the age of 40.  And that's the age most people start wearing reading glasses.  I was lucky enough to get by until 50 but it's an inevitable problem.  So for the majority of drone pilots, this will be a problem.
2017-8-20
Use props
djiuser_NIxZ2eE
New
Flight distance : 12379 ft
United Kingdom

The only trouble with fitting corection lens is that everone has a different type of prescription and its not just the doptre value!
2017-8-21
Use props
Dont Wanna
lvl.1
Flight distance : 365377 ft
United States

HomePoint Posted at 2017-8-20 02:18
404 not found, was looking forward to see what you had done here.

I am sorry. New to this site did not want to step on any toes thought no one cared so I removed it. I will put it back up for the week. Hope it works for you.
2017-8-22
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.1
Canada

I have waited  4 months  for my goggles and I'm so incredibly disappointed. So many problems to deal with. First I couldn't activate them. Finally had to delete Assistant 2 and download again even though it said it was up to date. I can't have my goggles on at the same time I have my iPad 2 on without buying extra cables ($70)and a module for my rc ($135). I still can't figure out how to get the goggles out of beginner mode  and I have to wear reading glasses to see the picture clearly. And for that matter, even with the highest number they sell +3.25 it's still not crystal clear. So that's another $30. Or I can go with a third party fix and pay another $75. Not likely.  It kind of like waking up on Christmas to find out Santa didn't come.
2017-8-22
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.1
Canada

Happy and Safe Flying.
FIXING-MY-DJI-GOGGLES

Very interesting but you have more time than I do. Good for you for figuring something out and thank you for sharing.
2017-8-22
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.1
Canada

fans11489028 Posted at 2017-8-20 04:24
i bought a pair of "snap in place" glasses. they are called "focus fixers" . they are made specifically for the dji goggles. around 40 dollars plus shipping.

If you are Canadian it works out to $75.  Shall I send the bill to DJI?.
2017-8-22
Use props
machasm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36768 ft
United Kingdom

This might be completely left field but does anyone think that it might be possible to fix the focus issue in software?
Perhaps each screen could be calibrated against each eye?
Don't know if this is indeed possible to do in software at all and wether the goggles hardware have anyway of implementing it even if it could be done in software.
2017-9-2
Use props
Bandit681
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69672 ft
United States

I had very high hopes... I kept them for two days before returning them due to the focus problem. What a bummer.
2017-9-3
Use props
ShaggyRS6
New
Flight distance : 19423 ft
United States

I am disappointed in DJI and in actual fact expected more from them. I ordered the goggles with so much excitement.  I have used them once.  I am 45 and now need verifocals. I can use Binoculars and telescopes just fine because they have a diopter but the goggles are useless. In fact the whole experince for me now is tarnished, I have not used my They just sit in my basement gathering dust and in true DJI style the lack of customer support or comment on the matter is verging on useless.
2017-9-26
Use props
Soar Tueth
lvl.1
United States

I thought there was something wrong with me! I kept messing with the IPD knob and looking for some diopter screw. Thank you for posting this.
2017-9-27
Use props
Soar Tueth
lvl.1
United States

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-6-23 12:33
Thanks for the reply!  Well as you know, most everything in this hobby and I'm talking about going back decades has always been researched and developed in the field by pilots and not the manufacturers.  For the most part, hitting the ground for the first time, the DJI goggles are not a bad release.  You just wonder why they would made such a mistake on the optics which needed no R&D.  Like the Phantom 1 evolved , I'm sure this product follow the same path. Though all its faults, it still works very well electronically, and the wireless interface with the Mavic and multiple station feature, opens up a whole new opportunity for doing serious work. In any case, I'm hanging onto mine, I'll rough it out for a while.

Another set-back is the terrible switch locations of the function buttons and their almost "Impossible to Feel" design.  These two buttons should have been exactly where the power button is located since that's where your fingers are already and it would be super easy to find instead of rubbing holes in the bottom of visor trying to find them where they are.  Oh well  , , , , ,

On the controller the C1 & C2 buttons work as forward and back, substituting for the bottom buttons.
2017-9-27
Use props
Soar Tueth
lvl.1
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-6-23 22:46
Even with PSVR it says to wear your glasses inside them. Don't blame DJI for poor eyesight.

I wear bi-focals. Distant focus should be the standard. When I get my close-ups way up, goggle screen is in focus, so that tells me the goggles are set for 10 to 13 inch focal length. Not even my 24" computer monitor glasses work, altho they are a little better.

30 minutes of viewing/reading at 13" will cause significant eye-strain. This requires severe accommodation that most people struggle with by 40 years of age. $500 for the goggles and $1200 for the Mavic. Not many 20 year-olds have that kind of budget.
2017-9-27
Use props
Soar Tueth
lvl.1
United States

machasm Posted at 2017-9-2 08:09
This might be completely left field but does anyone think that it might be possible to fix the focus issue in software?
Perhaps each screen could be calibrated against each eye?
Don't know if this is indeed possible to do in software at all and wether the goggles hardware have anyway of implementing it even if it could be done in software.

An optical problem is hardware, so there is no software fix.
2017-9-27
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

I see that there is a great deal of concern for focusing in with the Goggles. I would encourage looking at the manual on page 7 to review how to focus in better: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf

If you are experiencing a specific issue on the goggles or have a question I can help you out with, please feel free to send me a personal message. I will do my best to address your concerns.  
2017-9-28
Use props
Soar Tueth
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-28 08:00
I see that there is a great deal of concern for focusing in with the Goggles. I would encourage looking at the manual on page 7 to review how to focus in better: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI+Goggles/20170822/DJI_Goggles_User_Manual_EN.pdf

If you are experiencing a specific issue on the goggles or have a question I can help you out with, please feel free to send me a personal message. I will do my best to address your concerns.

You don't understand the issue. The problem is many people's eyes can't focus on a screen displayed 9 inches from their face, no matter what the content is, like the DJI logo before it connects to the aircraft, or watching a movie. The lenses IN the goggles should allow the user to focus their eyes for infinity to be easy for all to use. 20-year-olds may be able to focus on things 9 inches away, but they will feel the strain after 20-30 minutes, and will need time to recover after extended use. I had cataracts replaced with fixed lenses, so they can't accommodate variable focus. DJI has such expertise in cameras, I expect this to have been designed correctly. I have to decide whether I can live with the flaw or send them back.

You are confusing this with how to tell the Mavic camera what to focus on.
2017-9-29
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

Soar Tueth Posted at 2017-9-29 06:50
You don't understand the issue. The problem is many people's eyes can't focus on a screen displayed 9 inches from their face, no matter what the content is, like the DJI logo before it connects to the aircraft, or watching a movie. The lenses IN the goggles should allow the user to focus their eyes for infinity to be easy for all to use. 20-year-olds may be able to focus on things 9 inches away, but they will feel the strain after 20-30 minutes, and will need time to recover after extended use. I had cataracts replaced with fixed lenses, so they can't accommodate variable focus. DJI has such expertise in cameras, I expect this to have been designed correctly. I have to decide whether I can live with the flaw or send them back.

You are confusing this with how to tell the Mavic camera what to focus on.

Thank you for your clarification. The link in the previous response was the Goggle's user manual to provide some background for you on how the goggles worked.
2017-9-29
Use props
fans769b94f8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 414032 ft
Netherlands

Good these threads are here, saved me from buying an useless goggle, hope a new version doesn't include these design faults. Besides this they should be able to create an affordable fix for current users who deal  with this focus problem, step up the game DJI ...
2017-10-3
Use props
fansa639f01e
lvl.1
United States

I received my goggles yesterday. After researching these I did not know about the focus issues and I instantly have the focus problem. I also have 3 pairs of glasses. 1 pair of progressive lenses and I can read the writing at the bottom using the magnification. I also have a pair that is full magnification such as the bottom of the progressive lenses and finally a cheap pair of 2X readers I use for magnifying. Now with the prescription pair of magnification I can read text clear as a bell but the HD video is way out of focus for me (tree leaves are literally merged together and fuzzy). I asked my wife to look and she said they are a little bit grainy so I thought I may have fixed the issue but I was just being picky. After an hour of trying to get it right I developed a migraine and quit for the night. I have attempted to give them a chance today and they are not focusing and my head is about to explode. I even went out to buy another higher power reading glasses.  I finally took the goggles and held them about 4-5 inches from my face and can see the quality is a lot better. No amount of magnification is helping me for some reason so I am forced to return them tomorrow. I feel the problems is actually I am too close to the screens and cannot find a middle point for magnification. I have the same issue focusing on an iphone plus if I am too close. I also do not feel I need to go buy a $500 pair of prescription glasses because my current ones actually work rather well and they aren't a very strong magnification and I can see the iphone screen very well with them. There should be a focus feature as I was close but I cannot bear to eat ibuprofen like skittles trying to get these to work.
2017-10-14
Use props
fans3b74e540
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88960 ft
United States

I've had my goggles for 4 months. Yes initially I struggled with this Focus issue. I went down to the drug store and bought a pair of reading glasses that work well with the goggles. Yes I brought the goggles with me to test the different lenses. This solve the problem for me with Focus. I can tell you I really enjoy these goggles and I prefer to fly with them. The downside to this for me is the reading glasses I use with the goggles are so strong that it takes my eyes a couple of minutes to readjust to not wearing them. In fact this has also led to dizziness and mild headache. Having said this I still like using these goggles. I hope in the future DJI can address and resolve this Focus issue.
2017-10-16
Use props
Gmman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Wish I would have found this thread before purchasing a used set on Ebay.  I would feel lousy returning them to a person instead of DJI.  Oh well guess I have to try the focus fixers. Problem is I purchased these so everyone could enjoy the flights not just me.
2017-10-20
Use props
Alex 13
lvl.1
Canada

At this size of the screen, the top line and the information on the edges of the screen are very poorly visible
Question to the developers of glasses, Can you create new program to reduce the size of the screen to make it a little smaller. This will solve many problems at once.
2017-10-29
Use props
romeotango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64127 ft
Singapore

Happy and Safe Flying.
FIXING-MY-DJI-GOGGLES

Hi Don't Wanna, can you post the workaround again ?  I just bought the goggle and had focus issues.  Thanks.
2017-11-23
Use props
fans0f9f25fa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43 ft
Australia

The out of focus issue with the DJI Goggles is due to the fact that DJI did not use a strong enough lens in the goggles. This is a design fault which DJI seems reluctant to admit to. The current lens power is 10 diopters which means you have to focus clearly at less than 12 inches. A difficult task for most people. The lens should have a strength of at least 12.5 diopters for comfortable viewing.  This would place the virtual screen at around 1 meter.
2018-1-15
Use props
Maxheadspace
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans30b6a0ef Posted at 2017-6-23 14:41
Amazing that DJI failed so much on the focus problem. I am nearsighted with +5 corrective glasses.   My Sony Playstation goggles do not have this problem, neither does the HTC Vive or Occulus.  Even Google cardboard works.  

For all the apologists on these forums that said "Just go to Walmart and buy a cheap pair of corrective glasses"-- You just spent $500 and the product should not be defective.  Imagine buying the Mavic Pro and be told that you need to go to Walmart to buy some kite string so you won't loose your drone.

You mean you're farsighted.  Or you mean your diopter is -5 (minus, not plus).  Negative diopters reflect nearsightedness, plus = farsighted.  That's important because the Goggles are designed for near sight.  I'm nearsighted with -2 diopter in both eyes, and the Goggles are clear for me.  I also own the Moverio BT-300 augmented glasses (~$850), which unfortunately for me are designed for far sight.  I spent another $200 for prescription inserts, so that total package was over $1000!  And I still have issues with vision in the BT-300.  My FatSharks are designed for far sight as well, so I had to buy optical inserts for those.  The bottom line is that FPV-type manufacturers have to decide near sight or far sight in their design.  Either way a lot of people will be affected.  There are not many FPV solutions that have adjustable focus.  I think ultimately the popularity of the Goggles will decide whether or not DJI invests in a design upgrade with focus.  
2018-1-18
Use props
luciens
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I don't know if anyone followed Fatshark's attempts to get an FOV larger than about 45 degs with a fully distance focus a while back. They managed about 50 degs with one version and, to make a long very ugly story short, the results were so bad they had to back it off to the current 45degs in their current HD model.
So now, the 45deg FOV version is in focus, sort of, but still with that teeny weeny little cruddy little crappy little screen about the size of an iPad on your lap. Not a great FPV experience, much less for almost $500.
And as Max says, it's a poor solution for nearsighted users even at that and you can't wear your regular prescription glasses with them.

The DJI goggle is working with a much bigger, magnificent 85 deg FOV, so they may have had to make a compromise. I'm farsighted and solved the problem with some +3.50 diopter reading glasses from Amazon. It's not perfect, a little blurring around the edges, but the IMax theatre FOV at 1080p resolution is well worth the glasses. And an order of magnitude better than Fatsharks or most other competitors. And of course, it's no problem to wear glasses with the DJI goggles...

So overall, you can kind of see where compromises have to be made given what the goggles offer in terms of FOV and resolution. DJI probably looked at going down the same road Fatshark tried to go down in their design and wisely decided to go a different route with what they have right now. I don't know that to be true, but given that DJI is an expert with optics, that's a strong possibility.

That said, yes, they need to offer "focus fixers" here in the US. I'm ok with the reading glasses solution in the meantime and I love my goggles. in fact 98% of the time I'm FPV with them.
2018-1-19
Use props
fans5c2b6e7a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3589859 ft
United States

Great advise thanks! Had the same issue and I wear bifocals. THe magnifying glasses were the fix.
2018-1-26
Use props
Skybound
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3816 ft
Canada

I have had the same problem with focus. It's a shame that DJI want to profit even more from this design flaw and sell corrective magnifiers for the headset. Shame on you DJI. Please wake up and offer these to your customers for no charge until this design flaw is either fixed or you recall the headset.
2018-7-23
Use props
FL 450
lvl.1
United States

Another out of focus flyer here. Readers really clear things up and bring the experience. Went ahead and ordered Focus Fixers. Looking forward to getting them in a week or so.
2018-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules