Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hitting "record" causes aircraft to restart inflight!!
1228 12 2017-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JemTek Aerial I
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136276 ft
United States

Everthing works normally til i hit the record video button either on the controller or on the screen. Then the app freezes for a bit and the aircraft  lands immediately. And it comes in a little hot too. Not crashing fast but a super hurried landing. I have redone the firmware on all associated hardware, (controllers, tablets, aircraft, unistalled and reinstalled app) all to no avail. While testing on the bench with no props at home, it will do the same thing and aircraft restarts and gives that famous 3 tone beep when its turned on as if I had turned the drone completely off then back on again.

Anybody else run into this?

I'm suspecting the 480g SSD but thats my unqualified guess. It appeared like it might've been a little used when I unboxed it but I thought maybe it had just been handled at the factory prior to being shipped.

Jeremy
2017-6-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

This is odd and I'm so sorry for this situation. Have you tried to reset Camera Settings in APP? Would you please provide us a short video of testing at home? I will feedback to our engineer for further analysis, thank you in advance.
2017-6-26
Use props
JemTek Aerial I
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-6-26 23:01
This is odd and I'm so sorry for this situation. Have you tried to reset Camera Settings in APP? Would you please provide us a short video of testing at home? I will feedback to our engineer for further analysis, thank you in advance.

Hi Mindy,
Thank you for your reply and concern. I'm sorry I didn't see youre response until now. I did try resetting camera settings as well as a whole lot more. I did contact DJI support and after we went through quite a few troubleshooting steps, I have requested a replacement since this malfunction was present upon delivery and it was less than 14 days since I recieved the product. I personally believe it is due to a faulty SSD which is a 480g CineSSD but I also admit I am not an engineer and could easily be wrong. When I removed the SSD and recorded using the H.264 codec to the SD card, the error did not occur. But after numerous settings changes and firmware reloads, trying to record to the CineSSD results in total aircraft shutdown and restart.

It is unfortunate that I am going through this and am saddened by these events but I would like to say that Jhae R at support has been patient and timely as well as professional in all responses so far. You're interest as well at least makes me feel like you guys are trying to make it right and its much appreciated.

Currently I am awaiting response and further instructions after sending in my completed exchange  request form. I am hopeful that this may be quickly resolved and I will be able to get back to flying an Inspire 2. Despite the issues, I think the Inspire 2 is awesome.

I'll be sure to post again and provide a final update after everthing has been resolved.
Thanks again Mindy for your help and conern!

Jeremy
2017-6-29
Use props
JemTek Aerial I
lvl.1
United States

So I wrote that back in June and here it is almost September and I finally just got my replacement aircraft back just a couple days ago. I am very frustrated to learn today that after trying to setup the new aircraft, my license key for the Apple ProRes is no longer valid and must be transferred to the new craft. This seems like something that should have been foreseen and automatically transferred. Also it's the same story with the Care Refresh Plans I had purchased for the craft and the camera. After being transferred numerous times and being on the phone for 50 minutes I was assured someone would respond by email regarding the activation key within the next couple days (totally not cool)  and then was directed to send an email regarding the Care Refresh plans to a department that has no phone contacts (again totally not cool). This has truly been an unbelievably bad experience. My total investment (including 3rd party accessories) back in June exceeded $8,000.00 dollars and here I sit, a few days before September, still not flying.
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JemTek Aerial I Posted at 2017-8-28 10:41
So I wrote that back in June and here it is almost September and I finally just got my replacement aircraft back just a couple days ago. I am very frustrated to learn today that after trying to setup the new aircraft, my license key for the Apple ProRes is no longer valid and must be transferred to the new craft. This seems like something that should have been foreseen and automatically transferred. Also it's the same story with the Care Refresh Plans I had purchased for the craft and the camera. After being transferred numerous times and being on the phone for 50 minutes I was assured someone would respond by email regarding the activation key within the next couple days (totally not cool)  and then was directed to send an email regarding the Care Refresh plans to a department that has no phone contacts (again totally not cool). This has truly been an unbelievably bad experience. My total investment (including 3rd party accessories) back in June exceeded $8,000.00 dollars and here I sit, a few days before September, still not flying.

Jem, we are sorry for the trouble caused. There is no contact number of DJI Care Refresh, but as long as you provided enough info, they will assist to transfer the DJI Care Refresh.
For license key, may I have the serial number of your old and new drone and case number as well? I will report to local repair team to get it addressed for you, thank you.
2017-8-28
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

JemTek Aerial I Posted at 2017-8-28 10:41

I would make sure you have your setting correct regarding the signal loss, More than likely when you lost signal  for whatever reason and the  AC did as it was programmed and just landed , be sure to go through EVERY PAGE  and SETTING OF THE GO APP .  Make sure you set  the"Signal los"  to Go HOME, that is what most pilots set it at but you may have different reasoning .
****I do of course agree that the AC should NOT loose signal when pressing the record button [ that sure is strange ] but wanted to  let you know of the settings option when you get the new one up and running.

good luck

donnie  
2017-8-29
Use props
ATCs llc
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Another Pilot / Professional Photographer at the mercy of DJI incompetence, DJI is a Business with a principal goal of making MONEY,,, DJI when will you understand that we purchase your product to do exactly the same thing, MAKE MONEY, excessive DOWNTIME is unacceptable, you really need to initiate a program of CUSTOMER SERVICE AOG "Aircraft On Ground" rapid response team and start taking care of your CUSTOMERS!!!!
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

ATCs llc Posted at 2017-8-29 17:45
Another Pilot / Professional Photographer at the mercy of DJI incompetence, DJI is a Business with a principal goal of making MONEY,,, DJI when will you understand that we purchase your product to do exactly the same thing, MAKE MONEY, excessive DOWNTIME is unacceptable, you really need to initiate a program of CUSTOMER SERVICE AOG "Aircraft On Ground" rapid response team and start taking care of your CUSTOMERS!!!!

Please notice that we replied you at this thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-111024-1-1.html.
If you have any questions, please reflect through this thread and we will help you solve the problem soon.
2017-8-29
Use props
JemTek Aerial I
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-28 23:24
Jem, we are sorry for the trouble caused. They is no contact number of DJI Care Refresh, but as long as you provided enough info, they will assist to transfer the DJI Care Refresh.
For license key, may I have the serial number of your old and new drone and case number as well? I will report to local repair team to get it addressed for you, thank you.

Mindy,
Thank you for your kind words.

The serial numbers you have requested are as follows: ------------------------                                                  
OLD Aircraft: 09YDE3T0041503 ___________NEW Aircraft: 09YDE4N0040695.  Although this has been referred to several times as a "repair" case, it is not.  The unit was faulty on arrival and I went through appropriate procedures in requesting DJI replace (not repair)  the faulty equipment.  Case #CAS-756506-K3X1Z8 was assigned.

I shouldn't have to say this but I feel I must at this point, so please bear with me. It should be common sense to most everybody that if I pay money for a thing or a service, then it is expected that part of the deal, and the price of that deal,  is it should perform as advertised on delivery. If it does not, then the fault lies with the seller and they should rectify the situation immediately. In fact in most places around the world it is illegal not to.  It is absolutely horrendous for someone to send you something that's broken and then tell you you will need to get it repaired. When I was originally instructed by tech support to put in a request for repairs, I immediately responded with my demand for a replacement or a refund, not repairs for something I didn't break. I paid for a brand new, working drone, not a broken one. They then provided me with the forms and procedures for making an exchange request which I immediately carried out.

After waiting 2 months and getting back almost all the original items, I can see that even though I asked for exchange, this was still handled exactly as a repair. DJI responded quite some time ago with the approval for the exchange. At that point, a completely new shipment of all new parts should have immediately been dispatched. When I originally ordered the Inspire 2, it took less than a week to arrive at my doorstep. This is how the replacement should have been handled. But instead, I was kept waiting an unbelievably long time while all the original equipment was held waiting for the "repairs" to finish. This is absolutely unacceptable by any business standards. The way this was handled makes me feel as if I bought the unit from some shady dude wearing a trenchcoat in some back alley.

After going through everything that was sent back to me, I can see that the main aircraft itself was replaced and all other original parts and accessories from the original shipment were sent back to me with it. I will be fine with that at this point (not really  but oh well) once I can actually test the new aircraft and see that this indeed resolved the issue. If I had been sent all new equipment as I talked about earlier, I would not still be so apprehensive and determined to verify that the unit will indeed work this time around. If the problem was with the SSD or a battery, or a controller, then I may be in for an entirely new round of repairs masquerading as a replacement.  Oh Lord I hope not. Unfortunately I can not verify the problem is resolved while my license key is still being held in suspense by DJI. Something that should definitely have been taken care of prior to shipping the replacement.  Also, why could this possibly take longer than 2 days to issue a new license key? I can go online and buy it right now in less than 5 minutes. Why is all this continuing to be my responsibility to get fixed?  I also had to go through the process of requesting the Care Refresh plans were transferred to new serial numbers as well. That has been resolved by the way. Gretchen was very courteous and professional as well as timely in her responses. But it doesnt change the fact that these things should have been taken care of by DJI during the replacement, not me after.  This is really the worst part.  Me and my business partners decided to give DJI over 7,000.00 dollars two months ago for a drone that we could use for our business. And ever since then, I have found myself being asked to fill out forms and make requests, send emails, hold while being transferred, provide more serial numbers, provide more receipts, provide the case number, over and over and over and over again. I have given out the same info so many times now to the same company that it's completely mind-bending.  Surely you can understand my frustration? I don't think I'm just being snobby on this.

Again Mindy, I do thank you for your kind words and attention and I do not blame you personally. It is apparent to  me that these things are surely not in your control and you are not to blame. It also seems to me that you do genuinely care and work hard at what you do. (based on the responses you've made throughout the forums, you seem like a good egg to me) So don't feel that my frustration is towards you personally. But I've gotta be honest with you and tell you that this has truly been, by far, the worst shopping experience and  business dealing  of my life. I really look forward to when I can finally get this done and over with so I can get on with my life.

Thanks again for your concern,
Jeremy
2017-8-30
Use props
JemTek Aerial I
lvl.1
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-8-29 07:23
I would make sure you have your setting correct regarding the signal loss, More than likely when you lost signal  for whatever reason and the  AC did as it was programmed and just landed , be sure to go through EVERY PAGE  and SETTING OF THE GO APP .  Make sure you set  the"Signal los"  to Go HOME, that is what most pilots set it at but you may have different reasoning .
****I do of course agree that the AC should NOT loose signal when pressing the record button [ that sure is strange ] but wanted to  let you know of the settings option when you get the new one up and running.

Thanks for the tips. When this was happening, It didn't seem to be related to any signal loss. At home on the bench with no props, the aircraft would still completely restart once the record button was hit. But only when trying to record to the CineSSD. It would record to the SD card just fine, but with this unit, it's not possible to record using the ProRes codec to the SD card.

When the restart occurred, the aircraft was actually turning completely off and rebooting, both on the bench or in the air. This was why it was "coming in too hot" for its landing because it was turning completely off and restarting over a period of about 2 secs and recovering in mid-air from having no power being applied to the rotors during the reboot. After rebooting, it then did seem to know to get power back to spinning the props and would then finish up the landing while trying to compensate for the fact that it had actually been falling out of the sky for about 2 secs. I also noticed that as long as I didn't try to record video, it would fly normally in all modes at  normal distances with no apparent degradation of signal loss to video or the transmitter and reciever.

Although DJI didn't relay to me their findings, I do believe it was an extremely rare defect of some type and that a replacement should be fine. Unfortunately, I am still not totally convinced the issue wasn't with one of the other parts either though so I'm crossing my fingers til I can get the license key installed and test it out.
2017-8-30
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

JemTek Aerial I Posted at 2017-8-30 05:48
Thanks for the tips. When this was happening, It didn't seem to be related to any signal loss. At home on the bench with no props, the aircraft would still completely restart once the record button was hit. But only when trying to record to the CineSSD. It would record to the SD card just fine, but with this unit, it's not possible to record using the ProRes codec to the SD card.

When the restart occurred, the aircraft was actually turning completely off and rebooting, both on the bench or in the air. This was why it was "coming in too hot" for its landing because it was turning completely off and restarting over a period of about 2 secs and recovering in mid-air from having no power being applied to the rotors during the reboot. After rebooting, it then did seem to know to get power back to spinning the props and would then finish up the landing while trying to compensate for the fact that it had actually been falling out of the sky for about 2 secs. I also noticed that as long as I didn't try to record video, it would fly normally in all modes at  normal distances with no apparent degradation of signal loss to video or the transmitter and reciever.

Best of luck and let us know the outcome , very unusual case for sure .

donnie
2017-8-30
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-29 20:32
Please notice that we replied you at this thread http://forum.dji.com/thread-111024-1-1.html.
If you have any questions, please reflect through this thread and we will help you solve the problem soon.

Come on try clicking on your link and see all the help from DJI.
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JemTek Aerial I Posted at 2017-8-30 05:13
Mindy,
Thank you for your kind words.

Jem, we are deeply sorry for the unpleasant experience with the replacement process and customer service, we have been aware your issue and the case has been escalated to local repair team to follow up, we will try our best to get it addressed. There will be someone to contact you after review, your patience will be appreciated.
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules