Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UK Geofencing - a little help please!
1516 11 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kwalter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

OK so I understand all the reasoning behind DJIs Geofencing and I agree with it 100% but after a couple of weeks I've still not managed to get my new P4P+ up in the air for more than a few seconds and it's starting to drive me mad
I thought I'd found a good place to test fly. According to NATs own Drone Assist App it's outside any of their no-fly or warning zones, but I don't seem to be able to fly without ticking a few boxes and accepting that I need to fly responsibly. The only problem is I need internet access to do it, which I haven't got at that site

DJI web site explains that I can gain permissions in advance for three days within a yellow area before I travel. The problem is according to DJIs maps I'm in a green "Enhanced warning area" where I supposedly don't need any permissions other than accepting to fly safely on the day. No internet needed according to them and it's impossible to set up permissions for a green area anyway

So the next day, experimenting from home, where I do have access to the internet, I go through the DJI rigmarole of entering my credit card details ETC. I can't tell you what sort of controlled zone I'm in, because DJIGo 4 doesn't tell you. NATS and DJI maps show me just outside a yellow area in a green enhanced area.

All goes through and I'm given clearance to fly. All well and good, I manage to hover my drone in the garden (all I intended to do) but my neighbours now think the house is being burgled because the DJI transmitter won't stop beeping!!!!  How on earth do you stop it - will it go off after a while?

The words screwdriver and soldering iron flash through my mind!!!!  --  Help!! ???

Keith

2017-6-24
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

The beeping is probably the obstacle avoidance warning - you don't want to turn that off!

The Drone Assist App (Not actually from NATS) will use different maps to DJI, you might need to look at DJI's maps for planning your flights, although they wont contain all the restricted areas so best to look at both.

I've never had any issues with the Geofencing, but I don't try and fly in the centre of London...
2017-6-24
Use props
Kwalter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-24 05:35
The beeping is probably the obstacle avoidance warning - you don't want to turn that off!

The Drone Assist App (Not actually from NATS) will use different maps to DJI, you might need to look at DJI's maps for planning your flights, although they wont contain all the restricted areas so best to look at both.

You might be correct about obstacle avoidance, I'll have to check it - I'm not convinced though
2017-6-24
Use props
Kwalter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Nigel
The DJI maps showed the area I was attempting to fly in as a green area and I'm miles away from any red or yellow zones
Why would I get a "Network unavailable" error when trying to clear the initial flight warning?
Dji clearly state that internet access shouldn't be necessary other than in yellow and red zones
Hope you can help on that one

Keith
2017-6-24
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

Might help if you gave the location, or one close by,  maybe someone else flies in the same area and can help...
2017-6-24
Use props
Kwalter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-24 06:35
Might help if you gave the location, or one close by,  maybe someone else flies in the same area and can help...

I'm attempting to fly in an open area just south of Reigate in Lonesome Lane Dovers Green
I have seen others fly there, so you never know
2017-6-24
Use props
Kwalter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Nigel, you were spot on. It was obstacle avoidance
I've also set up my iPhone for local wifi access,  so hopefully next time I can self certify, regardless of the map discrepancies

Thanks for your help - much appreciated

Keith
2017-6-24
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

Kwalter Posted at 2017-6-24 08:18
Thanks Nigel, you were spot on. It was obstacle avoidance
I've also set up my iPhone for local wifi access,  so hopefully next time I can self certify, regardless of the map discrepancies

Good luck, I don't see why you have a problem in that area, like you say it appears to be green and should just need the warning acknowledged, although you are only 2.5 miles from an airfield and not far from Gatwick so fly carefully and make sure you stay within the Drone Code rules, be ready to give way to manned aircraft, and treat the first few flights as test flights - don't fly over people and keep it above head height.  I suggest you only enable the internet connection for as long as is needed unless you have unlimited data.

2017-6-24
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-24 14:32
Good luck, I don't see why you have a problem in that area, like you say it appears to be green and should just need the warning acknowledged, although you are only 2.5 miles from an airfield and not far from Gatwick so fly carefully and make sure you stay within the Drone Code rules, be ready to give way to manned aircraft, and treat the first few flights as test flights - don't fly over people and keep it above head height.  I suggest you only enable the internet connection for as long as is needed unless you have unlimited data.

Checking the NOTAMS, that area is just outside the class D airspace for both airports (just outside the corner of the overlap between the two), so all should be good to go.
2017-6-24
Use props
bigal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65771 ft
United Kingdom

is it not possible to turn off the Geo System?  I had a simular problem on my Phanton 4 in a DJI restricted zone  ( not an official restricted zone) I turned off the Geo System and no longer get the on screen message, I have not yet updated to the latest Firmware for fear loosing the ability to turn off the Geo System as I do not have any internet connection when out and about.
2017-6-24
Use props
Kwalter
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-24 14:32

Thanks Nigel, all good advice

2017-6-25
Use props
fans15b5c158
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88586 ft
United Kingdom

bigal Posted at 2017-6-24 23:30
is it not possible to turn off the Geo System?  I had a simular problem on my Phanton 4 in a DJI restricted zone  ( not an official restricted zone) I turned off the Geo System and no longer get the on screen message, I have not yet updated to the latest Firmware for fear loosing the ability to turn off the Geo System as I do not have any internet connection when out and about.

I not going to update mine either , sod that.  the whole cat d airspace is odd, your not in it unless your flying at 1500 foot, your not in any air space at 400 foot
2017-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules