Dji Spark UK
4483 12 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nicola.kleiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United Kingdom

ive ordered a Spark but there is a three week delay. So I've been doing some research. I currently have a P3S, but it's a bit big to take anywhere, hence ordering the spark.

The Uk range (with controller) is only 300/500m this seems very limited, how are people finding this with a drone the size of the spark?
It has active track but will not follow the controller, is this correct?
It drops the quality of photos taken when in guesture mode, is this correct?

Should I cancel and order the mavic basic package? I'll not use 4K, not interested in raw and want to be able to take it walking and cycling?
2017-6-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you can afford the Mavic, then buy it.  The Spark is very limited in a number of ways.
2017-6-24
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163337 ft
United Kingdom

Got mine in the UK.  Can't see it past 300m, so straying into illegal territory anyway (especially considering the papers today!).  Others have had it beyond 500m.

Active track follows the defined object (I've tested with me and a boat; works fine for me, unless low level sun gets in the way.

Photos in gesture mode are lower in resolution than what is saved to the SD card.  Still fine for Facebook/IG sharing.  Full size jpegs saved to the card are about 6mb; smaller ones sent to phone about 1.5mb to 2mb.

Not played with Mavic so can't comment to difference.  I shoot RAW across my DSLRs and use Creative Cloud extensively; to be honest it's nice not to dive into that and use this more ad hoc.  I've imported some of the the jpegs into Lightroom and they're pretty good to work with (my Grandfather wanted pics of his house; he's now got it printed on his wall, so the full size are good to blow up).

(If I get on with the Spark for a year or so however, I'll no doubt get a Mavic 2 as/when/if it releases!)

Feel free to ask any more questions!  Happy with mine so far; simple, fast to fly, easy to share from.
2017-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Once you can get its full range of 300/500meters it's really enough if your not interested in dng raw spark has the same jpeg as Mavic 12 million P, it's very handy for bringing around, but so is the Mavic if your happy with decent jpeg and 1080p 30fps which is pretty sharp and your happier to have £600 in your pocket, then I have to say so far it's good value.

It's great fun flying in sport super quick and with great response, I have got 470meters and it's enough you don't want to run into bad winds if your to far away.

If you want to go further faster and longer battery then Mavic is a great buy also.
2017-6-24
Use props
Nicola.kleiser
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jiminythompson Posted at 2017-6-24 08:20
Got mine in the UK.  Can't see it past 300m, so straying into illegal territory anyway (especially considering the papers today!).  Others have had it beyond 500m.

Active track follows the defined object (I've tested with me and a boat; works fine for me, unless low level sun gets in the way.

Have you had any connectivity issues? I've read about it being an issue for some,  I plan to use with an iPhone 6plus. Ordered the flymore pack.
2017-6-24
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I have the Mavic and the Spark, To be honest I would say the 500M Range DJI Say is very generous, in the UK I get around 100 meters unfortunatly however I still like the spark for the size. the Mavic is great and I cannot fault it, however the Mavic combo is nearly double the price of the combo spark, personally I would cancel the order with DJI and place a pre order with Amazon here  
http://amzn.to/2sDiWKm
Reason why is because with Amazon you can return within 1 months and basically get a instant refund, Doing the same with DJI will probably be a pain, that what i suggest any way.

2017-6-24
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163337 ft
United Kingdom

Nicola.kleiser Posted at 2017-6-24 10:12
Have you had any connectivity issues? I've read about it being an issue for some,  I plan to use with an iPhone 6plus. Ordered the flymore pack.

Not had any to the 300m I've been to (and that's with a fair amount of height as well).  Only used it on 5.8ghz.  Apparently if you use on 2.7 in rural areas you can go further.  However 2.7 is liable to interference from other devices (wifi, cordless phones, microwaves etc), hence 5.8 when it's a bit busy.

In Cornwall this weekend so will try switching frequencies, as long as it's not too windy tomorrow.

Always turned off bluetooth on the phone.  With the fly more the phone only needs to communicate with the RC, so not a great distance.

2017-6-24
Use props
Nicola.kleiser
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-24 12:42
I have the Mavic and the Spark, To be honest I would say the 500M Range DJI Say is very generous, in the UK I get around 100 meters unfortunatly however I still like the spark for the size. the Mavic is great and I cannot fault it, however the Mavic combo is nearly double the price of the combo spark, personally I would cancel the order with DJI and place a pre order with Amazon here  
Reason why is because with Amazon you can return within 1 months and basically get a instant refund, Doing the same with DJI will probably be a pain, that what i suggest any way.

I really want to get the fly more combo, but Amazon don't list it. I figured the resale on eBay would be good enough if I don't like it as it'll be popular at xmas.
2017-6-24
Use props
Nicola.kleiser
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jiminythompson Posted at 2017-6-24 13:14
Not had any to the 300m I've been to (and that's with a fair amount of height as well).  Only used it on 5.8ghz.  Apparently if you use on 2.7 in rural areas you can go further.  However 2.7 is liable to interference from other devices (wifi, cordless phones, microwaves etc), hence 5.8 when it's a bit busy.

In Cornwall this weekend so will try switching frequencies, as long as it's not too windy tomorrow.

That's great, thanks.
2017-6-24
Use props
Nicola.kleiser
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-24 12:42

Are you flying with the RC or just a phone? I would have gone with Amazon, but they're it selling the flymore bundle yet and I really want the controller and extra battery. I figured if it's poor I could always sell on eBay in the run up to xmas they should still be popular?
2017-6-24
Use props
Doobry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394800 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicola, the spark with the gesture control and active track is far more suitable for your use case than the mavic, it's also half the price so if like me, this is your first drone, it's probably going to be MUCH safer to start off with this and then upgrade to the mavic later if the bug bites you. Then you can keep the spark for travel or hand it down. That's my plan anyway :-)
2017-6-25
Use props
Nicola.kleiser
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Doobry Posted at 2017-6-25 00:06
Nicola, the spark with the gesture control and active track is far more suitable for your use case than the mavic, it's also half the price so if like me, this is your first drone, it's probably going to be MUCH safer to start off with this and then upgrade to the mavic later if the bug bites you. Then you can keep the spark for travel or hand it down. That's my plan anyway :-)

I've inherited a P3S which is great fun, but too big to take anywhere. So I'm planning to sell it once the spark arrives. I really want a drone I can take with me when doing other things rather than just going out to fly. Hopefully the spark will live up to this
2017-6-26
Use props
U.k.sharif
lvl.1
United Kingdom

jiminythompson Posted at 2017-6-24 08:20

The 2MP gesture limit is a game-changer for me. Takes this from essential purchase to largely worthless.

Bitterly disappointed at this. It seems to have been downgraded since launch, which is the most infuriating thing about it.
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules