1986 20 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ccampolo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23294 ft
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I was flying my drone near Tottenham Court Road in London when it suddenly got disconnected and the wind pushed it away.
I was filming something for my university professors on the school's terrace: I had to take off in ATTI mode as the drone could not find any signal (I was supposed just to send the drone about 10m up vertically for like just one minute and then back down, so I thought that it wouldn't have been a problem,) a few moments after it took off it suddenly disconnected from the remote, and the wind (which was going just a few mph, therefore not so strong to move it a lot) pushed it behind the building and I lost eye contact.
On the iPad screen it showed up the dialog box asking me if I wanted the drone to RTH and, of course, I said "ok." Only later I realized that, being in ATTI mode, the drone did not record correctly the last take off position (on the school terrace) therefore I'm worried it might have directed towards the last RTH position which is Boston, MA -- because the last time I flew it, before yesterday, was in the USA.
I looked around the area to see if I could find it but unfortunately did have any luck.
My phone number is written on a sticker on the machine therefore if a kind person would have found it (or if it hurted someone) they would have called me.
I know flying in a city such as London can be dangerous but, as I said before, being such a short flight, both timewise and just moving it vertically for a dozen of metres, I never could have thought it could end up this bad; also because from what I thought, the Phantoms should "counter-fly" against the wind in order to stay on its position.
Does anyone of you know if DJI can block the machine with the serial number in case someone finds it and wants to use it?

Thank you

2017-6-24
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Moreover, in case the drone actually tried to RTH towards Boston, do you know roughly what's the speed and is there anyway to check it using the flight log?
2017-6-24
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I don't have my iPad with me right now but as soon as I will get it on Monday, I will make sure to upload the flight log here - I don't know how to convert it/open it to see the details.
2017-6-24
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I never had much luck with the Phantom 3 Standard, it was only good in wide open areas with no interference, never take off in Atti mode, they have since removed 'Atti" from all newer DJI Drones and replaced it with vision and gps.  The P3s will not counter fly the wind in Atti mode because it has no GPS lock and does not have bottom facing vision sensors to keep it stable.
I would not be worried about someone finding it and using it... I would be worried if you hit something / someone with it.
2017-6-24
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Bradders Posted at 2017-6-24 12:20
I never had much luck with the Phantom 3 Standard, it was only good in wide open areas with no interference, never take off in Atti mode, they have since removed 'Atti" from all newer DJI Drones and replaced it with vision and gps.  The P3s will not counter fly the wind in Atti mode because it has no GPS lock and does not have bottom facing vision sensors to keep it stable.
I would not be worried about someone finding it and using it... I would be worried if you hit something / someone with it.

Thank you for your response. I guess if I will find it again I will always avoid ATTI as I now know is practically useless. I am really worried it might have injured someone but luckily, I guess, as my phone is written on the drone and no one called/texted me yet it probably did not land street level but rather on a roof somewhere. Moreover I wanted to know if anyone could suggest any locators such as the GPS ones they sell on Amazon or something like Tile which I can mount on the drone.
2017-6-24
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

The only way the Phantom will "counter-fly" wind is if it's in GPS mode. I've flown in the city and country both and the P3S has done just fine, you just have to be aware of it's limitations such as buildings etc. Hopefully when you get your IPad you can upload your data and it may lead to it's location, or in the meantime someone contacts you that they've found it safe and sound. Was there any route info on your IPad while flying?
2017-6-24
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Michgolden Posted at 2017-6-24 12:38
The only way the Phantom will "counter-fly" wind is if it's in GPS mode. I've flown in the city and country both and the P3S has done just fine, you just have to be aware of it's limitations such as buildings etc. Hopefully when you get your IPad you can upload your data and it may lead to it's location, or in the meantime someone contacts you that they've found it safe and sound. Was there any route info on your IPad while flying?

The info on the screen wasn't much.
As I said, the only command I gave the drone was literally just sending it straight up about 10 metres above its takeoff position, then the wind moved it and I lost both eye contact and connection. The whole event lasted less than two minutes.
2017-6-24
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

If I remember correctly, the homepoint is recorded regardless of your flight mode... GPS or Atti. Only on the latter, the flight system isn't relying on the GPS to hold position. Nevertheless, the GPS is always turned on.

However, if it didn't have GPS lock at take off, it undoubtedly did not establish the homepoint position.
2017-6-24
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

OrlyP Posted at 2017-6-24 14:16
If I remember correctly, the homepoint is recorded regardless of your flight mode... GPS or Atti. Only on the latter, the flight system isn't relying on the GPS to hold position. Nevertheless, the GPS is always turned on.

However, if it didn't have GPS lock at take off, it undoubtedly did not establish the homepoint position.

Now THIS is the correct answer !

Page 10 of the manual.

ATTI is basically what some call the Sport Mode where pilot flies the model like other non GPS position capable Multi Rotors. The Barometer still acts to assist in altitude hover / determination though.
If GPS was available at take off, a Home Point will be recorded and used if control is lost BUT only if GPS is still available. But GPS will not assist in maintaining a stable position in hover. If GPS is not available - I believe the AC is supposed to land - but I cannot find confirmation of that.

To be honest - flying in London .. near Tottenham Court Road ? Now that's one busy area with saturation WiFi of both 2.4 and 5.8Ghz !!

OK - lost beacon addition to a P3S ...

I have a GSM / GPS unit that fits to the side ..weighs about 10gr. Takes a PAYG card and you link to your phone. It sends a confirmation SMS that link is there. You fly and AC gets lost .. you send by SMS from your linked phone a code and the unit sends back about 1 - 2 minutes later an SMS with GPS coords and link to online map.
Mines only old GSM - but I'm lucky that Latvia is 4G but also still can use 2G etc.
On eBay ... loads of them  ... just search Phantom 3 GSM Lost Model like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/w-Meta ... :g:gRMAAOSwGotWsgsx

Nigel
2017-6-25
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ccampolo Posted at 2017-6-24 11:59
I don't have my iPad with me right now but as soon as I will get it on Monday, I will make sure to upload the flight log here - I don't know how to convert it/open it to see the details.

Hello everyone,

This morning I managed to get the flight logs for this event.
I uploaded the .txt here: http://app.airdata.com/main?share=fSBxfB
And I am attaching the .csv and .txt to this post - in case I missed something

Best,

C

Dronocop-230617.zip

156.8 KB, Down times: 1

Flight logs

2017-6-26
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Good afternoon,

The drone WAS FOUND this morning. I don't know how and who but it's a miracle!
Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

Best,

C
2017-6-26
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

ccampolo Posted at 2017-6-26 08:06
Good afternoon,

What are the details of the find?
2017-6-26
Use props
ccampolo
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Tmygun Posted at 2017-6-26 10:43
What are the details of the find?

The aircraft has a few scratches and one of the legs is bent. The propellers are kinda scratches and damaged on the edges. The camera completely broke off and detached from the aircraft.
Battery shows 3/4 leds still green, therefore I guess it 'landed' somewhere near the take off position rather than hovering until the battery got nearly completely discharged. It collided either against a tree or a wall and fell - but it shouldn't have been to high as it is still whole in one piece.
Will send it tomorrow morning for repair w/ DJI care.

FullSizeRender 3.jpeg FullSizeRender.jpeg FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpeg
2017-6-26
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

as long as they have a controller it gonna work I lost mine also some time back it sux.....so I bought a better 1.
2017-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to read about another lost drone. That really bites the rear...

Hope you get her back. What a loss.

I had to check your location. Seeing if it was London England or Ontario Canada. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-6-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-6-26 14:36
Sorry to read about another lost drone. That really bites the rear...

See post #11, he got it back.
2017-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ccampolo Posted at 2017-6-26 08:06
Good afternoon,

That's some great news, for a change. Hahaha

Awesome, how good Karma gets involved.

Fly safe, and fly again tomorrow. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-6-26 14:51
See post #11, he got it back.

Hey bro, thanks for the keen eye and heads up...
Yes, I hadn't read the whole thread.  Glad it worked out for the best.

Still a mystery who the finder was... Or how he contacted the drone loser. ;-)

All swell that ends well. Hahaha

Thanks for the heads up, Geoff...

RedHotPoker

2017-6-26
Use props
SN0WY3000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 127740 ft
United Kingdom

Lost mine and got it back after 3 hours of looking,, seen the lights on a house roof.

2017-7-5
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-7-5
Use props
SN0WY3000
lvl.2