wavy lines in video and fly way on RTH
1816 11 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BillL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2303 ft
United States

I just got my P3S back from DJI and took it out to test. first I was testing the RTH and it climbed to the correct altitude and then headed back to the home point, but something happened and it took off fast in the direction it was headed past the home point. I immmediatly took control and brought it in manually. When I got home and watched the ffotage I seen there was wavy lines in the video.  29 seconds of the footage is the wavy lines 50 seconds it starts to fly away. I hope someone can shed some light on this maybe operator error?

youtube link

2017-6-24
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Can't help you with the fly away but the wavy lines are shadows from the props when you turn towards the direction of the sun
2017-6-24
Use props
BillL
lvl.1
United States

Knobbynomates Posted at 2017-6-24 12:55
Can't help you with the fly away but the wavy lines are shadows from the props when you turn towards the direction of the sun

Ive never seen that before on any other video. Do you know of a way to fix it? maybe some kind of filter or something?
2017-6-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

BillL Posted at 2017-6-24 14:40
Ive never seen that before on any other video. Do you know of a way to fix it? maybe some kind of filter or something?

No, the only way to fix it is to not shoot in the direction of the sun or to tilt the camera down a bit. There is no filter that will fix this.
2017-6-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
United States

To get an idea of what caused your flight incident, go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ ...
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
2017-6-24
Use props
BillL
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-24 18:54
To get an idea of what caused your flight incident, go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ ...
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

I uploaded the flight log using the link above I dont know where it went though
2017-6-25
Use props
BillL
lvl.1
United States

here is the link
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8EIU57QG3PCK4XA6PMZY/
2017-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

" testing the RTH and it climbed to the correct altitude and then headed back to the home point, but something happened and it took off fast in the direction it was headed past the home point"

The Phantom approached home and at 1:34.2 the Phantom was directly over the home point and continued to overshoot by 50 ft and then came back.
The mystery is solved when you look at what you were doing with the sticks.
You had the right stick pushed full ahead as the Phantom approached the point above home - so it kept going.
You then reversed the stick and messed around a bit trying to correct and continued trying to pilot the Phantom.
You didn't stop messing with the right stick until 3:06.5.
What you observed was due to you trying to over-ride the Phantom's RTH programming.
It would be better to either leave it to do it's thing or cancel and drive yourself rather than fighting it.
It was like a car with two drivers.

Another point of concern is you launched with a partially discharged battery at 70%.
That's very risky and a good way to lose your Phantom.
2017-6-25
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As for prop shadows, maybe try a sun-petal-lens shade. It acts like a hat and minimises lens glare/flare when the sun hits the camera at a particular angle.
2017-6-25
Use props
BillL
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-6-25 17:11
" testing the RTH and it climbed to the correct altitude and then headed back to the home point, but something happened and it took off fast in the direction it was headed past the home point"

The Phantom approached home and at 1:34.2 the Phantom was directly over the home point and continued to overshoot by 50 ft and then came back.

I took control of the sticks when it over shot the home point and brought it back. this was my third flight in 30 minutes that is why the battery was down 30%. If this is bad to fly at 75% should I change to a new battery after flying for a few minutes and bringing the P3S back?  I am learning to take off and land and do other maneuvers. Why did it over shoot the home point? that is my concern
2017-6-25
Use props
BillL
lvl.1
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-6-25 17:41
As for prop shadows, maybe try a sun-petal-lens shade. It acts like a hat and minimises lens glare/flare when the sun hits the camera at a particular angle.

Thank you I will look into it
2017-6-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

BillL Posted at 2017-6-25 19:11
I took control of the sticks when it over shot the home point and brought it back. this was my third flight in 30 minutes that is why the battery was down 30%. If this is bad to fly at 75% should I change to a new battery after flying for a few minutes and bringing the P3S back?  I am learning to take off and land and do other maneuvers. Why did it over shoot the home point? that is my concern

"Why did it over shoot the home point? that is my concern "

Read post #8 again - it's all explained there.
2017-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules