Updated Canadian UAV law
1166 6 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

So I came across this today. Page 22 of this latest government document, released June 24th. I see that the restrictions are somewhat less now and there seems to be a new weight class section for drones less than 1kg.

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2017/2017-06-24/pdf/g1-15125.pdf

Sure these are still very restrictive but I think a bit better than the previous rules. What do you think.?
I'm still confused thought. The beginning section says "it does not apply to unmanned UAVs."
2017-6-24
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

If I read that right, it looks like they've now created two categories of drone weight to define the distance you are allowed away from people.  Before there was a blanket 75 meter distance required, and now for drones less than 2.2 lbs (which includes the Mavic), it is only 30 meters distance, which is much better.  There is also no mention of buildings as before.  However, there is a new clause in there which restricts the drone's flight distance away from the operator to 500 meters.  That might be a pain.
2017-6-24
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

canada's laws were stupid to begin with
2017-6-24
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

I agree our laws our a piece of turd. But hey at this point my mavic has been grounded for the last 3 month's out of my 5 months of ownership . I'm in Montreal and just do not know where to fly anymore.
Atleast with this new 30m radius and buildings not being an issue, slightly expands the scope of flying.  
2017-6-24
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alirz5 Posted at 2017-6-24 14:35
I agree our laws our a piece of turd. But hey at this point my mavic has been grounded for the last 3 month's out of my 5 months of ownership . I'm in Montreal and just do not know where to fly anymore.
Atleast with this new 30m radius and buildings not being an issue, slightly expands the scope of flying.

That's good to read.... Heading to Montreal for a few days later this summer and thought the Mavic was going to stay inside the suitcase.
Is there any registration required?
Ian
2017-6-24
Use props
Muzznezumi
New
Canada

It seems that, perhaps Canadian voices are starting to be heard in Ottawa. I am a new Mavic owner and found the Interim Order No. 7, indicative of the legislators actually listening? The reduction in distance from airports, removal of buildings and animals would seem to make this a workable set of rules. The only item that really is a concern now, is the Name,  Address and Phone Number requirement being visible on the aircraft ! Any type of Legislation when heavy handed or unreasonable, requires a thorough testing in the legal system. I hope that everyone concerned with this enjoyment of this fantastic hobby/pastime, will add their names to the petions, and contact their local MP's and the Minister of transport. Remember people, government is required to keep the country safe, and is here to serve the people. These interim orders are just that, interim policies until the Aeronautics Act is re-vamped in 2018. Please everyone . . .  make your voices heard !
2017-6-24
Use props
Muzznezumi
New
Canada

Should have added the links to the Petition and NODE Email Campaign

Request AMENDMENT Transport Canada New Safety Rules for Recreational Drone use in Canada
Sign this Petition
https://www.change.org/p/request ... 10Li10GPtO8xTwwlM5E

Join the NODE Network of Drone Enthusiasts Canadian Legislators Email Campaign
http://www.nodecampaign.org/campaign/Q8cx1nz?iframe=1

Do Not Bitch and Gripe [stupid, bul$hite, ETC] . . . . Let your voices be heard by the people that can do something
2017-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules