Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Spark IMU Calibration Stuck On 2/6
12Next >
78598 49 2017-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans37f47f5b
New
Flight distance : 66260 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys,
This is my first post here as it's my first problem with a DJI product.
So I got my Spark today, and charged it up, updated and went to do the IMU cal. as it requested that I did.
There the problem begins...
Step 1 goes flawlessly, I then get told to move it to lay on the right hand side for step 2... So I do... Now, the progress bar hovers at around 90% on step 2 with the green lights flashing away and occasionally goes yellow for a second before going back to flashing green. It stays like this until the battery dies.
I have tried reinstalling DJI GO 4, downgrading the firmware, reset to factory with DJI Assistant, made sure the Spark is cold and all sorts... Nothing is working. Same story every time and when I go into the app it says "Main Controller Error" up top and I get all sorts of warnings in the "Overall Status" box:

IMU Calibration Required
Calibrate IMU

Accelerometer Failed
Restard aircraft. Contact DJI Support if this continues after restart.

IMU Calibration Incomplete
Recalibrate IMU

Sensor Bias Too Large. Place aircraft on a flat, level surface and perform IMU calibration

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really want to take this little bird up. Waited long enough for it!
TIA
Kind regards.
Dale
2017-6-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just the fact that it prompted you to perform an IMU calibration my suggest an issue.
2017-6-24
Use props
fans37f47f5b
New
United Kingdom

You think I may have recieved a faulty unit?
2017-6-24
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans37f47f5b Posted at 2017-6-24 13:36
You think I may have recieved a faulty unit?

I'm not a DJI tech and I see by your profile that you have (or have owned) other DJI platforms, thus you're not a "noob".  I would at least open a Support Ticket
2017-6-24
Use props
fans37f47f5b
New
United Kingdom

This is the screen I get
Screenshot_20170624-174035.png
2017-6-24
Use props
fans37f47f5b
New
United Kingdom

I had the P3S & P3A, still have the Mavic and never had a problem with a single one of them. This is the first
2017-6-24
Use props
fans3c3673db
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

I had the exact same screen...it would load to about 90% and then stop...then, after a youtube video I realized I was supposed to be repositioning the Spark on it's sides and ends.  Make sure you do it exactly like the picture on the screen...do the exact side the screen is showing, then the other, then both ends...just like the screen pics.  Good luck...originally  mine told me when I went to Settings and Sensors the IMU needed calibrated...a flashing red IMU Calibration bar.
2017-6-24
Use props
fans37f47f5b
New
United Kingdom

Yeah I got to stage 2 and then it froze. This is far from my first IMU rodeo, but there is little chance of user error in this situation unfortunately. I'd rather that was the case though
2017-6-24
Use props
alitaskiran
New
Turkey

Same stuck at the 2.step happened to me first time at the outside..
Then I realised that  you have to rotate Spark as shown at the pictures..
problem solved..
2017-6-26
Use props
Cravenfan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

alitaskiran Posted at 2017-6-26 11:20
Same stuck at the 2.step happened to me first time at the outside..
Then I realised that  you have to rotate Spark as shown at the pictures..
problem solved..

Posted on a Mavic page, but I was stuck at 2 of 6 also, until I watched the Mavic video.  Figured out you have to rotate on it's engines, laying sideways...problem solved.  The instructions and pix in the app, in the moment need to be updated.  Added to my feedback info.  
2017-6-26
Use props
Airxmyth
New
United States

Im having the same issue. To be clear we're talking about IMU calibration. I only get the pictures to rotate the drone when calibrating the compass. Which I can do successfully. It's when calibrating th IMU I get stuck on step 2.
2017-6-26
Use props
Airxmyth
New
United States

Airxmyth Posted at 2017-6-26 18:04
Im having the same issue. To be clear we're talking about IMU calibration. I only get the pictures to rotate the drone when calibrating the compass. Which I can do successfully. It's when calibrating th IMU I get stuck on step 2.

You were right the pictures do show it on its side. I'm a dummy.
2017-6-26
Use props
adventure.gun
New
Flight distance : 3553 ft
Australia

Airxmyth Posted at 2017-6-26 18:34

Well I also found this thread in Google with the EXACT same problem... so can't be too much of a dummy haha...
...and yes I  had to read all the replies saying 'stand it on it's side' until I got the picture...!

i think it's just super unclear instructions...

for anyone reading this, you have to stand the drone up on 2 propellors only, on the ground, like it's an X shape up and down standing on it's side.

Thanks for posting this reply and answer this would have taken me days and days and several tech support phone calls lol
2017-6-27
Use props
fansdce48bef
Flight distance : 145482 ft
United Kingdom

I've been having exactly the same problem as you- getting the same IMU error and unable to calibrate.  Spent some time with online support who suggested I get a replacement request.

Anyone have any joy resolving the IMU Calibrate error?
2017-6-28
Use props
fans37f47f5b
New
United Kingdom

Can't be fixed mate
2017-6-29
Use props
fans0e79bb43
New
United Kingdom

My drone didn't even get to IMU calibration number two. I have reset, reinstalled and downgraded the firmware but nothing works. I have a faulty unit and DJI want to get me to send it in to diagnose it properly. Totally unacceptable. Hasn't left the ground and they won't just send out a new one. Going to get a refund and wait for a while before buying anything else. From the looks of DJI's twitter support acc, it is a common problem. Seems like only the big vloggers on Youtube are the only ones having any luck with this product.
2017-6-30
Use props
fans6dbc8709
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15463 ft
Germany

fans0e79bb43 Posted at 2017-6-30 13:50
My drone didn't even get to IMU calibration number two. I have reset, reinstalled and downgraded the firmware but nothing works. I have a faulty unit and DJI want to get me to send it in to diagnose it properly. Totally unacceptable. Hasn't left the ground and they won't just send out a new one. Going to get a refund and wait for a while before buying anything else. From the looks of DJI's twitter support acc, it is a common problem. Seems like only the big vloggers on Youtube are the only ones having any luck with this product.

All with the IMU problems watch the YT Video and u will solve the problem. I had the same problem now is all fine. The pictures in the DJI Go App are wrong!!
2017-7-1
Use props
fans6dbc8709
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15463 ft
Germany

Forgot the link
2017-7-1
Use props
P.siewhoon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53248 ft
Singapore

Watch the youtube, I had the same annoying problem because I didn't know I had to turn the sparky to different position. It was stuck in step 2 for long. Follow the instruction from the youtube...on how to calibrate IMU and compass.
2017-7-1
Use props
fans0e79bb43
New
United Kingdom

fans6dbc8709 Posted at 2017-7-1 21:43
Forgot the  linkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df3ulddOqzU

Cheers, but mine doesn't do any of that. The lights constantly blink when I start the process and won't progress to step two. There is a constant message that says 'Accelerometer Failed'. I think it is a hardware problem
2017-7-2
Use props
Wally-Works
New
United States

the video all should watch:  
2017-7-2
Use props
Motohawk1
New
United States

Same here with the IMU i spent hours trying to get it to work. Ruined my 4th of July fun with this non working AC. Now they want me to send it back as well when they should be sending me one within at least 2 day shipping and if it works IF then i will send the bad one back or most likely both. Why diagnose mine when you can give me what i paid for a working brand new AC
2017-7-4
Use props
Motohawk1
New
United States

First DJI product the Spark and most likely last due to DJI wanting my Spark back to test where is my new one why should I wait to ship to them then test then ship to me. That's just ridiculous
2017-7-4
Use props
fans9d42f173
New
United States

adventure.gun Posted at 2017-6-27 02:24
Well I also found this thread in Google with the EXACT same problem... so can't be too much of a dummy haha...
...and yes I  had to read all the replies saying 'stand it on it's side' until I got the picture...!

Thanks for the information. This helps explain a lot.
2017-7-4
Use props
fansa9fb363f
lvl.1
United States

I have the same issue can some one help me this is the picture I get it get stuck on 2 sometime it goes to 3 but that's it I had to change the buttery it runs out too.
IMG_0874.PNG
IMG_0873.PNG
2017-7-9
Use props
Timoune
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
France

hi,

thanks for the post, we indeed have to begin with the drone on the side...

After the IMU calibration, the gimble is still tilted... so annoying. I thought the gimble should make it perfectly horizontal!
2017-7-25
Use props
Frangu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19849 ft
United States

good thing to think about
2017-7-25
Use props
Sliderul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 501942 ft
United States

Can't tell if your problem has been resolved, but if you've followed all the steps I'm about to list and still get the error, I'm fairly certain you have a hardware problem. I had a similar problem calibrating until I recognized that the graphic on the screen showing the orientation of the Spark changes quickly and quietly and barely discernably with no audible prompt. If you're not watching the screen, you'll miss the change. I had to rest the Spark on 2 motors in all 4 possible positions, then on it's back. Everything has been cool since I completed that process. 1
2017-7-25
Use props
DCATraveler
New
United States

Running into the same issue.  Updated the firmware per support instructions and still getting stuck on step 2.  I've attempted the IMU calibration and the battery will drain without moving past step 2.  I'm placing the drone on the side and it just blinks.  I started with the P4 last April and it was a wonderful aircraft.  Moved to the Mavic and had nothing but troubles.  Not a great start with the Spark.
2017-7-25
Use props
DCATraveler
New
United States

DCATraveler Posted at 2017-7-25 19:24
Running into the same issue.  Updated the firmware per support instructions and still getting stuck on step 2.  I've attempted the IMU calibration and the battery will drain without moving past step 2.  I'm placing the drone on the side and it just blinks.  I started with the P4 last April and it was a wonderful aircraft.  Moved to the Mavic and had nothing but troubles.  Not a great start with the Spark.

DJI is going to replace since defective.  
2017-7-26
Use props
fans63331794
New

Malaysia

L've tried it. Remains the same. Why?
2017-8-5
Use props
cmalinowski
lvl.1
United States

Airxmyth Posted at 2017-6-26 18:34

LOL.  I sat there for like 10 minutes waiting.  Then realized I had to rotate it.  Don't feel bad.  I have the P3S, and it didn't need to be moved and took a long time to calibrate.  I thought it was the same with this one
2017-8-5
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Why are you guys calibrating your imu? is it telling you to otherwise you shouldn't be!
2017-8-5
Use props
Rawsome
First Officer
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Turn it on it's props, someone just posted a very nice video on how to calibrate
2017-8-5
Use props
ndross
New
United States

Solved!!! For Me anyways...

Just received my spark, will say I felt that the setup instructions and process were the least intuitive and somewhat deceptive that I have ever seen.  My first drone was a P3ADV I bought wrecked and I bought a new body and moved the guts and got that flying and that was easier than this....

So if you are here don't feel bad...

I found this video after my problems were solved but I think his setup steps and are more accurate than the quick start instructions.

DOWNLOAD DJIGO4 from app store for your mobile device. My DJIGO app for P3ADV is not the same....
Step 1: QR code wouldn't scan so I had to activate via wifi.  Leave controller alone for now. Connect Phone to Spark (bird) via wifi, see the info in the battery compartment on the sticker. Mine would not initially connect so I had to "reset" the wifi. Thats in the manual, but with the bird on, I held the battery button for 6-7 sec until you hear 2 beeps, then the network appeared available on my phone.
Step 2: This may or may not happen--- upon connecting I received a "red banner" indicating firmware update available.  Update...
Step 3: Press the Start to Fly blue button bottom right. No you won't fly, that takes you thru the activation process. (Brilliant huh?)
Step 4: Make sure your battery is still good.... Connect bird to phone via wifi / app go to flight screen, probably will see a not ready to fly red banner. Settings / Sensor calibrate compass. There a many youtube videos about this. Read the instructions and watch the video twice then do it.  This went smoothly for me.
Step 5: Why you are here... the dreaded IMU calibration. For me... I followed the instructions,,, I set the bird on the "level dry ground" and watched.... WRONG... ( I really wonder if the people at dji did this the screw with people.)  Do as the above videos say.... Place the phone somewhere you can see it but not have to hold it.  Press the calibrate Imu button and watch the pictures of the drone. They change quickly and almost un-noticeably.... using both hands rotate and place the drone in the positions indicated in the pictures as the calibration screens progress thru the 6 screens.  NOTE: Pay Attention to the orientation of the bird when you put it on the side make sure it is in the same position as the screen (nose / tail) I couldn't just put it on its side I had to follow the screens.... Once I did this It worked for me.

Step 6: Make sure you have a GPS signal. At this point my bird was ready to fly.

Figuring all this out took: Reading the quick start, A call to support (he stayed online thru the firmware update but didn't not thru IMU calibration),  Watching a couple of youtube videos and coming to this forum... And about an hour. Maybe I am just slow... but I think the number of people that have had this issue indicates that DJI could have done a better job explain it in the instructions.

Now why the QR code wouldn't scan, why it instructed me to "connect to sparK'" (how ?? cable? wifi?? ) Why the wifi network wouldn't appear without a reset,,, (it was a sealed new unit) I don't know. I like DJI products but I think this could have been done in a more time efficient and intuitive way.

I hope this helps someone...

N
2017-8-10
Use props
Ques37
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27169 ft
United States

Very helpful thanks
2017-8-20
Use props
ToeCutter
New
United States

RE: DJI Spark IMU Calibration Stuck On 2/6

I'm so relieved I found this thread. DJI's documentation doesn't even mention IMU Calibration (and I just downloaded the latest User Manual and did a text search for IMU). The same applies to firmware updates which have admittedly been marginally improved since the PP3.

What's funny (or frustrating depending on where you stand) is that if you look closely at the controller screen during IMU Calibration, you'll notice 2 intersecting "Tron" planes in the illustration (one plane represents a horizontal plane, i.e., the floor, and the vertical surface, i.e. a wall or some other vertical surface). This is only hint that I could find outside YouTube (thanks to those who posted links, saved me hours of support calls with DJI) that shows the Spark positioned on it's side.

DJI really needs to improve it's documentation. When you compare the settings in the app to what's documented, there's an enormous void between the two. Wearing down batteries while I desperately answer geofencing prompts and now their new SMS verification is so much fun. Talk about CYA, my property is over an acre and I can't see the omnious Spark doing much damage if it bounces off a fence, wall, etc.

Ah, the 'ol days.....
2017-8-25
Use props
Stoneg4
New
Germany

hi dear all I have the Same Proble. I have already turned the spark on its seit (led keep on flashing but it won't move on)but it still stucks at the second step. is it a hardware probelm because it shows “accelerometer failed' when i try to take take off
2017-9-10
Use props
fans66ab0edb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16562 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

open the spark and remove the gimbal, an im in a base that holds the gimbal, hit with a search with rubber cable on top of the IMU, it has locked the accelerometer so do not calibrate, beating 3 or 4 times you will be able to unlock the accelerometer! E-mail to contact xcopterbrasil@gmail.com
2018-1-24
Use props
fans66ab0edb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 16562 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

fansa9fb363f Posted at 2017-7-9 11:20
I have the same issue can some one help me this is the picture I get it get stuck on 2 sometime it goes to 3 but that's it I had to change the buttery it runs out too.

open the spark and remove the gimbal, an im in a base that holds the gimbal, hit with a search with rubber cable on top of the IMU, it has locked the accelerometer so do not calibrate, beating 3 or 4 times you will be able to unlock the accelerometer! E-mail to contact xcopterbrasil@gmail.com
2018-1-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules