1444 10 2017-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi,

I started using Active Tracking following my boat and this is the second time when the P4 is gaining altitude as she cannot keep up with the boat speed.

The P4 was at about 12-15m in the air and by the end of the clip it was at 50m.

The boat speed didn't exceed 38Km\h. At 1:20min I started pushing right the stick to orbit around the boat and you see how behind the P4 remains.

Am I doing something wrong? I need your advise.

Thanks

2017-6-25
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft
Germany

You flew towards the sun, that doesn't work. You want to have the sun in your back.
2017-7-1
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

DroPro Posted at 2017-7-1 04:46
You flew towards the sun, that doesn't work. You want to have the sun in your back.

Thanks for your tip. I'll try next time. During that ride Active Tracking didn't loose me, I had the green square around the boat.
One other time, the same behaviour on a  cloudy day. The P4 was tracking me and it gained altitude. Then I stopped for fishing, I had the drone 5m above and lateral to us and again it went to a higher altitude.
As recommended by others I did the IMU and Compas calibration one more time and I'll check active tracking next time I'll be on the water.
2017-7-2
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Callatis Posted at 2017-7-2 05:33
Thanks for your tip. I'll try next time. During that ride Active Tracking didn't loose me, I had the green square around the boat.
One other time, the same behaviour on a  cloudy day. The P4 was tracking me and it gained altitude. Then I stopped for fishing, I had the drone 5m above and lateral to us and again it went to a higher altitude.
As recommended by others I did the IMU and Compas calibration one more time and I'll check active tracking next time I'll be on the water.

Did you have the vps enabled? When flying over water the vps can get confused and cause variations in hovering and height
2017-7-2
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Well, I went again yesterday, I made sure I wasn't flying against the sun, VPS was disabled and the drone was hovering at 5m above the water. I activated the Active Tracking and I started driving my boat. I went to  18Km\h and I saw how the drone was slowly slowly gaining altitude. All this time I was in the center of the screen, the drone was high in the sky and way behind me. Video will follow.
When I got the drone I was following all sorts of tutorials and I think I maxed the speed of the drone to 5m\s which is 18Km\h. Also I played with some of the settings so the drone won't accelerate hard, to have a smooth motion.
I believe as the drone can't keep up with my speed it will ascend in order to keep me on the middle of the scene. Probably for my next test I'll factory reset the DJI GO 4 app.
2017-7-4
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

2017-7-5
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

What's interesting is the gimbal is not pitching up or down, when I used to fly my p3s the gimbal would pitch up for it to keep me in the shot however I don't have enough experience with active track on the p4. Will most likely try tomorrow and let you know if it also gains altitude.
2017-7-6
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
France

What are you using to run the app? Have you tried a different - maybe more powerful - mobile device? Much of that processing is happening on the fly using your device - might be worth a shot. Also worth trying autopilot or litchi - see if behaviour changes. Doesn't look normal.
2017-7-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could be a whole new game with the latest P4 updates, would be interesting to see if any improvement.
2017-7-7
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-7 14:13
What are you using to run the app? Have you tried a different - maybe more powerful - mobile device? Much of that processing is happening on the fly using your device - might be worth a shot. Also worth trying autopilot or litchi - see if behaviour changes. Doesn't look normal.

I use an iPAD 2. I didn't try any other device. I have a Lenovo TAB2 but I noticed the DJI GO wasn't configured for that screen. I never tried the DJI GO 4 on it. But thanks for the tip!I don't have the other apps but Litchi is on my list. I want Litchi for the waypoints mission. The new firmware 30-50m rule will affect Litchi?
2017-7-8
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-7 14:44
Could be a whole new game with the latest P4 updates, would be interesting to see if any improvement.

Yes, running Active Track using the Profiles modes might be a game changer. It's windy today, so next weekend if the weather allows I'll try it.
2017-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules